Is it a meme?

Is it a meme?
I already have Ubuntu the way I like it, but thinking about trying this out for kicks.

Attached: gentoo-g.png (180x180, 16K)

It's another linux distro. The meme was "GENTOO --omg-optimized --funroll-loops" etc. That was all bullshit because gentoo isn't faster than any other linux distro.

It's a meme if you expect it to be like arch but source based. Generally speaking you want to get your system setup and then only update packages for security fixes. Updating the entire system is not recommended and can lead to things breaking

Work on your projects. Don't use installing an OS as an excuse to procrastinate.

Anons like these, they laugh.
>Install Gentoo
"Ha HA," they chortle ignorantly, "well meme'd, my friend."
But the Jow Forumsentoomen, they know the truth... That it isn't a meme at all, but a path to nirvana. A means by which to come to the actualization of the perfect operating system, built just for you, by you. Only through the constant installation and re-installation of Gentoo can one come to this enlightenment.
Years, they spend, deep in their basements... Concocting the ideal partition tables and encryption schemes, USE flags and compiler optimizations, window manager configs and rices... Training endlessly, in an exercise most people would see as ultimately futile, and pointless. But these people, these ... normies ... they will never understand the ineffable satisfaction this brings, to build the perfect system. The last laugh will belong to the Jow Forumsentoomen, as corporate and government interference and homogeneity across distros and platforms takes over, the rest shall be left in the dark...

Attached: gentoopope.jpg (540x393, 13K)

I can't believe people run packages built for a 386!

It will take you from a day to several days depending on what exotic configuration you choose. If you find problem-solving fun go for it.

The meme is that it makes everything faster in all situations.

Other than that, no, it's a pretty seriously well-developed, versatile distro that definitely covers its niches quite well.

> I already have Ubuntu the way I like it, but thinking about trying this out for kicks.
Install it in qemu/kvm, I guess?

That's seriously a bit long unless you're using an absolute potato netbook machine or something.

Doing the handbook install guide and the maybe necessary additional guides to takes a bunch of hours, sure, but it shouldn't usually take several days. [Okay, a bunch of browsers now have long compile times, but if you crunch them with a current CPU it's not actually THAT long either.]

Gentoo is a pretty good tool to support Linux programming or server hosting projects, though.

It may not even always be the best choice, but it's also extremely rare that you can't use Gentoo. Which makes it a pretty powerful tool to know.

You don't really need to procrastinate and watch it compile, never mind it doesn't take that long on a modern CPU.

That's if you don't have to recompile kernel several times because you forgot to enable DRM for example to run wayland on nvidia, try Uefi/gpd boot on your uefi machine to find out you have to use BIOS/gpd because reasons. Or try to do someothing outside of handbook scope. Setting whole system without any error for the first time is unlikely, if you do it by hand.

You'll learn a lot about POSIX systems. It makes you feel in control, but it takes some time to get used to it. After that, ubuntu will seem like a toy distro

Yes.
Gentoo is just Arch with less documentation and less people maintaining it. The only reason Jow Forums even talks about Gentoo is its a Stallman meme, like saying Gah Noo Slash Linux instead of Linux. It hasnt been relevant in years and is basically a Stallman hobby/vanity project now.

Attached: chessbrain.jpg (764x551, 152K)

Attached: blackholebrainlet.jpg (1218x1015, 212K)

Nice bait.

gentoo makes your linux execute code better and defends you from the systemd

You can use systemd on gen2 too :^)

>That's if you don't have to recompile kernel several times because you forgot to enable DRM for example to run wayland on nvidia
Again, depends on how potato your machine is. A current CPU can defconfig in ~2 minutes (pic related) & if you happen to have a high end Xeon/Threadripper it's under a minute. Not that the latter is required.
Of course once you have more stuff enabled it takes maybe five minutes in the end or something, but how many times are you going to revisit that kernel anyhow?

Plus you can generally just do the 10-15 minutes genkernel all once and tweak your kernel later.

> Setting whole system without any error for the first time is unlikely, if you do it by hand.
Probably even so with Portage's help. But that probably just means a few minutes extra. Or a few hours maybe if you're a Linux beginner... a few days shouldn't really happen.

Attached: make_defconfig.png (1307x768, 52K)

Yes, but it doesn't force you to use it if you don't want to.

Mate i get that if you KNOW what are you doing it won't take long, but for first timer as OP it's not short ride. I agree with what you are saying otherwise.

not an argument

Arch > Gentoo
However,
Pentoo > BlackArch

But I'm on Windows

Try it on a spare machine, or maybe a VM. Set things up how you would if it was your main OS, and decide if it seems worth switching to. I did stuff like this a lot in the past. I'd have a laptop or something that wasn't my main machine, and I'd put stuff like Arch or Void on it, and I'd use it to try out things like i3wm. I'd interact with it semi-regularly, but I always had a more familiar environment to go back to. Over time I'd be on my main machine and start to wish I was on the other one. That's how I knew it was worth switching.

In my experience shit randomly started breaking one day on gentoo, until like 70% of the programs I wanted to use didn't even work. It eventually got me angry enough that I just switched to arch. I still haven't really gone back. One of the times I tried gentoo again it fucked up the mounting of the disks, even though I had the fstab file setup by uuid. The other few times I tried using it again I got fucking kernel panics. Despite all the memes so far I've had none of these problems on arch. I also don't see why everyone hates on systemd either, it's not bad.

Same happened to me, but the other way around.

now that im using arch i do think it is pretty nice to not have to compile everything. the install for arch basically took about 1/6 the amount of time it took for me to install gentoo.

>Is it a meme?
one of the main developers is an actual fucking tranny, so id say it is.

there was also this image i saw a literal fag post about a week ago here

Attached: 1535135822545.jpg (1156x1457, 495K)

you must be new here
have you been outside your little cocoon, why does it matter what people decide to do with their bodies in the context of technology or most unrelated things

This is the new Jow Forums distro

Attached: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (1183x1024, 88K)

It's hard to argue with something as retarded as you wrote. I mean, where do you even begin?

>Updating the entire system is not recommended and can lead to things breaking
Gentoo has stable packages and is still a rolling release. If you only want security fixes it's not the right distro for you.
Gentoo is the opposite of Arch, see pic related.

Attached: arch is not minimalist.png (1169x3679, 513K)

Were you that faggot who had a full drive and was wondering why shit didn't work?

no

im not saying that i believe people's freedoms should be limited. i think people should be able to do whatever dumb shit they want. i still like shittalking people who do dumb things though.

I would love to but every time I try I'm either not persistent or I don't give a shit within an hour or two.

Stallman does not approve of gentoo

Because it's a mental illness and things preferred by mentally ill people must have things that are unconventionally attractive to those people IE things that make them attractive to normal people. It's like how you wouldn't eat meat that a bunch of flies were swarming around.

>systemd

> tranny kernel maintainer
into the trash it goes, with void

Attached: systemd.png (750x850, 823K)

It als has a qt maintainer.
Not that it's relevant to the actual quality of the software.

you don't see anything bad about shitstemD because you're an ovaltine spooge drinking nigger fucker, it's as simple

trannies belong in mental hospitals. the rest is propaganda.
I'll skip anything related to mental illnesses or sjw-coc and it's my right.
pro-tip: quality of products is only a perception and has no impact on market share

Install Linux in a VM. It's stupid to install to bare metal when you are new and going to churn through distro after distro learning about them.

no. stay away from it

Feel free to avoid quality products, your loss.
>pro-tip: quality of products is only a perception and has no impact on market share
And this is supposed to be an argument for...?

for go fuck yourself, degenerate

Fantastic arguments, you totally got me there, pal.

It's not a meme. Read the Jow Forums sticky and you might figure out why people tell you to install it.

>tfw the old version showed her resisting and not wanting systemd because it doesn't follow the unix way
this world just gets worse every day

nice explaination on how its bad

Stop using Linux (the kernel), Windows or Mac OS then.

Most fasto distraz are musl/busybox + runinit

--
cheers, h4xX0r

install larpos

no

tfw im a tranny too so i dont really care to use something made by another tranny

trannies aren't real

Yes, but it's still a pretty great distro if you want to escape the systemd backdoor
If you use CloverOS to install it the procedure is easier and faster than Ubuntu, though you'll need to set some stuff up after the fact most likely

Its like arch, but instead of a -Syyu that takes under 5-10 seconds it takes 12-72h depending on your processor.