Uninstall desktop environment in terminal

>Uninstall desktop environment in terminal
>It uninstalls the network manager as well, leaving me unable to connect to the internet
So this is the power of linux

Attached: image.jpg (597x553, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/294257/connect-to-wifi-network-through-ubuntu-terminal
debconf18.debconf.org/talks/139-lxde-lxqt-the-classic-desktop-environments-after-12-years/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no its the power of whatever package manager youre using

bullshit

Then why it no work famalam

>using shit package managers
Let me guess, apt right?
Anyway connect via ethernet and run dhcpcd

Yeah it was apt.
This laptop doesn’t have an ethernet port unfortunately. Will connecting with USB to my phone’s hotspot work fine?

Because you're a monkey trying to use a hi tec instrument.

>i just shto myself in the dick its the gun fault

>his laptop doesnt have ethernet port
Anyway, yes
Make sure to set en2sp... wathever up and run dhcpcd then

Attached: original.gif (500x281, 197K)

Why should emoving the DE remove the ability to connect online with ease? That’s pretty poor design if you ask me.

Linux won't stop you from doing stupid shit. You're supposed to know what you're doing.

>Doing customization can possibly leave your laptop pretty much useless
Hmmmm... so THIS is the power of linux

lol

sudo apt install wicd wicd-client

OP try removing the "DE" in MacOS or Winfarts or Android or ChromeOS & tell us how it goes

The guy did the equivalent of uninstalling winlogon.exe what did you expect.

Why is a network manager considered a part of a DE? I don’t even have nmtui anymore
Fml

Tell me o wise one, how do you download packages when you can't connect to the internet?

What's DE of Android?

>a computer without a DE is useless
How do you even work with something without touching its screen

Are you sure you can't? Maybe you just don't know how to activate the wifi over CLI.

the whole thing that runs on top of Linux i guess

It’s not that i’m without a DE, i don’t have easy network connection you fuckwit

OP just reinstall your shit without a DE
very easy to do w/ debian (uncheck a box) but im sure otrher distros as well

You uninstalled the component that let you connect using simple GUI, you've fucked yourself over in there. Now to have to use the command line.

Isn't network manager just a frontend? I'm sure there is some way to configure your network manually from the CLI. I mean, that's what you wanted when you removed your DE, right?

I dunno how because I just use the GUI but I believe in you OP. I'm sure you can do it.

The worst part is that this is the second time i’ve removed my network manager. Fml i just don’t think i’m meant to linux

These captchas are pissing me off lately too.

Attached: image.jpg (600x642, 174K)

Yeah i’m just going to this this when I get home. My current Installation is debian.

Oh I see, you fell for le hackerman meme. Just install a normal OS and don't fiddle with system parameters, and it'll work.

lol this happened to me once

Naw it wasnt that. I just had a chromebook i didnt really use so I wanted to give it a go. I enjoyed using debian tho.

Any suggestions for what I should try next?

Just use wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd

>use systemd for everything
>uninstall systemd
>lmao why it broke

Both said command not found

on debian systems there's /etc/network/interfaces (and the interfaces manpage) but you're probably missing shit like wpasupplicant so yeah reinstall

Fugg now i gotta do shit like tweak my trackpad and speakers again

>no dhcpcd
what the fuck did you just do with your computer

I uninstalled xfce4

>using NetworkManager
>ever
That's quite a bit of faggotry.

askubuntu.com/questions/294257/connect-to-wifi-network-through-ubuntu-terminal

Ifconfig isnt even working

I literwlly uninstalled xcfe4 and all this happened

Is this the power of systemd? Should i use devuan?

OR OR you could walk ten feet to the WIFI wire and install it that way.

OR OR you could actually read the thread before responding

That's because it's depreciated. Man ip and use systemctl to bring network back up.

run ls usr/bin/ and lets see whats left inside

You don't need a network manager to connect to the internet, genius. Perhaps Ubuntu is more your speed.

task-desktop-xfce pulls a lot of shit, including network manager
you can remove network manager easily because it's not part of the base debian system
id expect other debian distros to work the saem
ip replaces ifconfig

Ok i’m just gonna install ubuntu and not mess with it

ip link
ip addr
etc.
ifconfig is deprecated

>wifi wire

Attached: Laughingp.jpg (400x386, 25K)

Why can’t linuxfags admit this is poor design?

>OS shouldnt let you change DE
>OS shouldnt let you completely remove software
yup, keep that shitty bloated library I will never use again there

>uninstalls entire desktop without knowing what he's doing or looking to see what software is actually going to be removed
>isn't even aware of the contents of the base install or how to use them despite putting his system into such a state, and just assumes he no longer has networking capabilities, immediately jumping to the following conclusion instead:
>"bro wtf why isnt shit working man linux sux lmao"

I REALLY think the terminal should just be disabled by default on beginner distributions like Ubuntu or Mint. Not a -single- fucking day goes by that some fucking moron like this doesn't do some dumb shit, then blames the system for their own incompetence (repeatedly, in the case of this thread). It always astounds me how much havoc retards always manage to wreak the instant they get their slimy fingers into the shell. It would at least be acceptable if they treated it like a learning experience, but no.

just install gentoo lmao

What happens when you uninstall the DE in Windows?

BSOD

I don’t know i don’t use windows

So you're stupid enough to uninstall a DE so you have to use the terminal but don't know how to run wpasupplicant or dhcpd from the terminal? What did you expect you retard?

It understands that the user doesnt really want to uninstall the DE and prevents you from doing so, not only being a tool, but aiding you in your decision taking process, something that is really needed at a strategic level

What do you think a desktop environment is?

Unless he removed it with the -purge flag he can still apt reinstall everything. It's all still there. That's how dumb this guy is.

I wanted to remove the DE. i didnt realize it would get rid of shit like nmtui though.

It's still there brainlet

purge is for conffiles rtm

Install LXQT

I’ve already tried to reinstall with apt and it didnt work you fucking mongoloid. I’n not retarded

upfartd
debconf18.debconf.org/talks/139-lxde-lxqt-the-classic-desktop-environments-after-12-years/

You removed your DE, don't know how to use terminal or recover apt-deleted packages. Yes, you most certainly are retarded.

You don't need networkmanager if you're not retarded.

You uninstalled network manger which is a guide front end. You can use the WiFi just fine. You'll have to start dhcpd by yourself and configure you're WiFi using a text editor. Next time try not being an absolute dumbass.

no, it's the power of human stupidity, like OP

Try uninstalling DE on windows or a mac genius.

It's expectable to have problems when you do some freaky things.

apt shouldn't have removed any package other than the one requested unless you use autoremove. Well, that is unless you removed something that network-manager depended on, but network-manager doesn't have any silly deps like that.

$ apt depends network-manager
network-manager
Depends: libaudit1 (>= 1:2.2.1)
Depends: libbluetooth3 (>= 4.91)
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.26)
Depends: libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.3)
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.43.2)
Depends: libgnutls30 (>= 3.5.0)
Depends: libjansson4 (>= 2.0.1)
Depends: libmm-glib0 (>= 1.0.0)
Depends: libndp0 (>= 1.2)
Depends: libnewt0.52 (>= 0.52.20)
Depends: libnm0 (>= 1.11.90)
Depends: libpolkit-agent-1-0 (>= 0.99)
Depends: libpolkit-gobject-1-0 (>= 0.104)
Depends: libpsl5 (>= 0.13.0)
Depends: libreadline7 (>= 6.0)
Depends: libselinux1 (>= 1.32)
Depends: libsystemd0 (>= 221)
Depends: libteamdctl0 (>= 1.9)
Depends: libudev1 (>= 183)
Depends: libuuid1 (>= 2.16)
Depends: lsb-base
Depends: wpasupplicant
Depends: dbus
Depends: udev
Depends: adduser
Depends: libpam-systemd
Depends: policykit-1
Breaks: ppp (>= 2.4.7-3~)
Breaks: ppp (

Attached: reimu_holy_fuck_by_taruandtobi-dbr4u89.jpg (235x200, 12K)

Isnt this just an apt problem?

>"unable to connect"
Blah, blah, ipconfig, ip, dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant are still on there, no?
You're just to dumb for Linux.

Because you chose to install a desktop ENVIRONMENT to use your machine with, next time install a server iso, you fucking moron.
Also why not just install whatever you are going to use now alongside the other DE, you know login managers can handle this, right?

what the fuck is this corporate-level bullshit

network manager was marked as automatically installed and the only thing keeping it installed was xfce, its not complicated

*ifconfig

Something called surface flinger.

you're right, but apt won't actually remove automatically installed packages unless you autoremove.

i use aptitude and it removes dependencies automatically ofc it asks for confirmation

You don't need network-manager to connect with lan

Just uninstall network manager and then install wicd-curses

Easy

Install gentoo

>uninstall software
>it's not on the pc anymore
Amazing, isn't it?

anyone else notice this crap pic pooped up a day or two after proton™ talks here?

>Bashes linux for doing what he told it to do
>Ends up getting help from linux users

Op you are an ungrateful person

You could have an installer ISO on a USB stick and point apt to fetch packages from there. That way you can install anything that comes with the default install.

if by "here" you mean spamming Steam™ Proton™ shill threads on /v/ every single day to try to get gamers to switch to an OS that can't play 25% of their games and gets 20-30% lower framerates then yes.

waddabout sudo wpa_cli

just reinstall ubuntu

Jow Forums has been getting multiple threads per day saying how Linux is awful and difficult, so it's the /v/ kiddos installing it and coming to "complain to the manager" when they couldn't run it.

>>Uninstall desktop environment in terminal
This almost always ends up in an absolute mess.

no by here i mean Jow Forums

it isn't or it shouldn't be, however afaik on gnome it is integrated in it or gnome has it's own thing for it which when you remove gnome is quite natural to also not have gnome's nm gui

tldr op is a retard

you fetch them with another ''pc'' and install them locally

>be de dev
>make de
>have it have loads of guis and stuff
>have some sperg remove it
>hurr why did removing my de also remove my de's network thingy