Want to start a project

>want to start a project
>everything needed has already been programmed

whats the point bros

Attached: avatars-000311298650-gvyh4f-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

s1000d.org
gitgud.io/f1refly/trackem
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

program a self conscious ai

This is my issue too. I know that I should start a project to get some experience, but since everything that I need for is already at my fingertips, I can never come up with something good to work on.

Build a program that takes the string 'cinema' and determines whether the string 'iceman' is an anagram or not.

>everything has already been done
Just pick something you think is interesting and start working on it. You can switch later once you have a new idea. Ideas don't come to you while you are wasting time doing nothing or playing vidya. If that's too hard then find an existing project and join. Make some friends that actually do shit and share ideas with each other. Get started and once you look back you'll realize that your OP was just a lame excuse.

do the needful and start a new program

Maybe you just lack imagination.

The point is learning user and getting better at programming, its not the destination, its the journey that matters.

>iterate through each charcter of iceman, checking if it exists in cinema, if one of them doesn't exist return false

wow so hard, I sure would feel good about myself figuring that one out

Write an AI that shitposts on Jow Forums.

can't be wasting time reinventing the wheel

Attached: 1535909551942.jpg (639x308, 58K)

>just bruteforce it bro
great idea Pajeet

That is the only option for this problem you deranged retard. It's not "brute force" if it is the only solution to the problem.

okay and what if the word you are checking consists of letters that exist within other word, but it isn't an anagram? your little liar script tells you a fucking lie that's what. Next!

>want to program/make something
>too brainlet for programming, don't know how to make it, and where to start for it

i thought that back in the early 2000s, and look at all the popular shit that's come out since then

learn low level shit
>write free software drivers for hardware that lacks it
>reverse engineer stuff
>contribute to libreboot
>hack consoles
>rewrite shit software to be faster

well, then just do things that have already been done

it's like learning algebra then saying "well, not sure how I could make an impact on the world of mathematics, it seems like they've already figured the whole maths thing out", which is wrong of course, it's just everything novel is beyond your abilities. You just need to spend a few years doing things other people have already done until you run up to the end of what you can redo, and then you do something novel.

Maybe, but not everything that has been programmed is free, open source software. This is essentially my current project, writing FOSS tools for a niche technology that only has proprietary software available.

Im doing the same thing. It does have foss alternatives but they are all shit.

>it's the only way!
by chance are you American?
Open dictionary
Create empty hashmap H
For each word in dictionary:
Create a key that is the word's letters sorted alphabetically (and forced to one case)
Add the word to the list of words accessed by the hash key in H

Name three that aren't just a rehash of an old idea

>tfw only know how to do retarded fizzbuzz shit and i'm graduating soon

There's nothing for this:
s1000d.org
Very little info or discussion online (never even mentioned on Jow Forums according to archives). It's an open specification, but it's mainly used in government/military, and the community around it just seems to accept that the software must be unreasonably expensive. I'm talking tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for basically fancy SVN clones.

Realistically, that won't change anymore than GIMP replacing Photoshop for "professionals", but I just find the ideas in the specification neat and wanted some FOSS tools for my own use.

a tinder app for people who want to fight each other

Well then just do what they're doing but better

Create the perfect distro

yes, but not everything WANTED you procrastinating fuck

>freshmen problems
If you stay long neough you will find your projects.

make a script/browser that blocks any internet content after 2009

this, we all need this

i need the perfect to do application, there are dozens of them out there but they all suck. maybe you can make the perfect one. thanks frogposter

also make it so you can select until what year and in which websites do you want it to work

Name anything that isn't just a rehash of an old idea

make .exe versions of linux distros or any operating system so it opens automatically a VM with that OS

make a better program to emulate x86 in ARM, all the actual ones are shit and the only one "good" costs money

Sort alphabetically, check if equal.

You can join my pathetic attempt of you want, friendo
gitgud.io/f1refly/trackem

Amazon didnt invent anything. They just did it better than anyone else.

>want to program something for fun and learning, but want it to be something you can actually use
>have nothing solve so nothing i make is of use
>dont program anything because of this

>0.1.0

How do you learn about hardware that lacks drivers? Where do you get your ideas from?

I don't feel like I've had any reason to bump the version whatsoever

holy shit does this not exist yet?
this is fucking sick

newfag much?

There is always room for another roguelike that isn't just another LOTR rehash.
Same goes for any kind of programming language, because there are still too many established ones that need to be wiped out from history.

Make a good, functioning MS paint clone for GTK if you have that much of a pain threshhold

Neat. Mine is a little less advanced than your prpject, but Im developing a point of sale system completley from scratch. Or rather not the system itself, but the foundation for such a system. Kindof like how x11 is in relation to de's, i want a pos system that foss that can be easily configured to whatever interface is needed.

Develop one of these new tangled "Digital Twin" systems. Multidisciplinary stuff plus simulation, plus 3D plus realtime industrial systems.

>thread has like 5 ideas of new/improved software
>"ohh noo what are we going to dooo verything is already coded ohh noooo"
fuck op

Why crystal? Are you just trying to learn the language?

please make a good driver that let me use two keyboards in games where same keys do different work and no conflict comes up whatsoever

Attached: cysqq.png (671x519, 146K)

make a linux file picker that has thumbnail view option

Pajeet BTFO

this

Yes, and it's been fun so far. I can recommend it, although it has no multi threading as of now

Make a classic mspaint clone that doesn't suck.

>easily pick up language basics, such as loops, vars, classes, etc
>everyone in my class struggles, i passed as if i have already known it, everything is so easy
>start to write my own shit
>cant
>i know syntax and can read code but if it comes to writing i am the copypaste monkey

Why?

Attached: E0703DAD41F744CBA6541BBD788D46F6.jpg (250x192, 13K)

Another Crystal user here.
I'm not sure I actually like it. Flow based type checking and some inflexibilities can be a PITA in non-trivial scenarios.
It may be the best option for migrating from Ruby to a sane programming language once its done, but as a non-rubyist I find it less appealing after writing a portion of non-trivial code in it.

This, the only one I can think of is Kolourpaint.
Bonus, OP: Implement seam carving and integrate a scripting environment, so I can automate the process of drawing dicks.

Because it turns out knowing possible algorithms, standards and APIs is easily as important.

This is how we all started, i was too dumb to apply even basic structure to my programs like 3 years ago and copy pasted everything. Now, 3 years later, I'm employed as a junior dev for c++ and c#
I have written nothing non-trivial in it as my project probably shows. But it's been more fun than the other 4 language i can somewhat program in so far

why do you want to start a project if all your existing problems have solutions?

Switch to python fellow autbro and I'll build this with you

already been done

>But it's been more fun than the other 4 language i can somewhat program in so far
Well, let's guess what this is:
VBA
C
COBOL
Java 1.0

>indentation based syntax
nah thanks I'll pass

C++, Bash, C# and modern Java

Doesn't factor in if letters appear multiple times

I am employed as well. I could get into position easily since I understand the language just enough and remembered main LeetCode solutions. Also it's a rare occasion that a potential employee knows English well.
But speaking about coding, I feel like a fraud. There's a project I am in with hundreds of thousands LoC. I hope I won't be fired after few weeks.

Is this a problem people actually have?
My to do has 4 things it will take me a few years to do. Smaller online communities everywhere need hands.

most style guides tell you to do this anyway.

If the company is as large as the project suggest you could probably sit there for weeks without doing anything and noone would notice

> being this much of a nigger
Literal baby fag whos never used python professionally

Already done by that swedish pedo fat fuck that caused Jow Forums to use captcha

I just don't like it, it's called personal preference. Go rewrite gnu in python if you want, if it's good I'll use it, just don't expect me to help developing it

Because you haven't applied the language to solve problems. This is normal.

There's more to programming than just knowing the language. When you gain more skill you'll learn that knowing a language alone doesn't make you a good programmer.

It's like learning Spanish in high school. You're taught to read and write -- and you understand it conceptually, but when it comes to speaking to another native spanish speaker, you're dead in the water.

The solution is to solve problems. Go on r/dailyprogrammer, check out CodeEval, and LeetCode. Expand your mind so that you can think in code and conceptualize real world problems as arrays, lists, and classes. Think about how things work, and always go deeper.

Attached: 1535172001939.webm (1920x1080, 1.47M)

I have news for you: much of programming in 2018 is just gluing together stuff that other people already wrote

I always try to program stuff I take for granted, like command lines, custom package managers, etc.

I might have exaggerated. The project is big itself, but is divided into separate, smaller teams. As Scrum implies, it wouldn't be possible at all to breeze through shit easily.
I just don't know how to adapt and how to learn shit.

Reinventing the wheel may not advance anything, but it makes you appreciate the wheel and see potential flaws in its design

You'll figure it out eventually, just never stop asking questions. Ever.

>but it makes you appreciate the wheel and see potential flaws in its design
In my case, it makes me hate the wheels and their creators for being that sloppy. In particular if a better solution existed at their time.

that’s not how system inputs work you mongoloid, there are special accessory keyboards made for this purpose

I started helping out a site and now I have more work than I can handle alone.
However, if you want ideas just look at existing products and make a better one, there are plenty of small services that make a lot of money that you could make better versions of.

Then build it

just make tools that would be useful for one of the autistic communities you frequent

Once you get hard experience desu, you'll see how things come together. Just be prepared to see spaghetti code everywhere when you start working and wanting to kys

No, someone already did, but it was forgotten.

Does building a Markov chain "natural language processing" in a functional programming language and use a collection of Jow Forums threads as a dictionary qualify?

Hey, that's what I do

or
>count the characters used alphabetically and compare with both

Tell me more about it.

make one with gtk

already been done

Attached: 1492319914211.png (910x604, 179K)

make a holocaust manager video game

Reinvent the wheel and do it better.

Attached: Cde2R7HVIAAsoMB.jpg (591x591, 40K)

I do not comprehend this meme

Attached: NotTapris(160).png (868x946, 531K)