/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4 (embed)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j (embed)
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt (embed)
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7 (embed)

old thread:

Attached: 32 crop.jpg (450x450, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/0a7x2c0dwy29iy4/Minidump.rar/file
osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze
nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98
nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html
pastebin.com/cn4aqt2K
pastebin.com/jdU4HjVH
pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-review/
memtest86.com/download.htm
w3schools.com/tags/tag_video.asp
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/man/lua.rst
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

back to loli?

reposting from past thread

Attached: 1472682213082.png (707x440, 53K)

based loliposter

cute drawing of me

Installing vera crypt dual booted with LUKS encrypted ubuntu for the second time. Both systems work, and again I cannot seem to boot into the veracrypt bootloader from GRUB. This time instead of a windows error screen I get a message saying:
error: no such device: [4character-4character GUID Here]

Press any key to continue...

at which point it sends me back to GRUB. I have edited the GRUB configuration file to point to the veracrypt bootloader for the windows entry. I cannot find the GUID in the error message anywhere in the grub config file.

Wat do?

>udindu
Found your problem.

Is it possible to hot swap a cpu?

There are no stupid questions. Everything's relative.

Theoretically yes

What is the best free anti-virus/malware software?

Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner together.
Learning to use Microsoft Autorun makes it perfect.

Your brain, script blockers, ublock, and fail safes.

bullshit

Malwarebytes isn't free

It is free, the fuck are you talking about.
By that logic outside ClamAV no AV is free.

what in the fuck do i use to make a video of my screen such that that the quality isn't absolutely fucking decimated upon uploading to youtube? actually I only want a portion of my screen

I have a 5$ chinese mouse and a Trust GXT 25 - both with double click buttons. Neither of these double click buttons work on Windows 10 but work on linux. The driver is always reverting to HID-compliant mouse, and I can't find any drivers that would enable this. Please help.
vendor:product IDs are 1d57:ad03

Does anyone know what an elbow phone is?

can you use it in a sentence?

I just bluescreened for the second time in a little over a week.
First time happened when I tried to maximize a Youtube window, something strange happened and it locked my keyboard while the sound kept playing at 20% speed. Eventually force retarded and it said it'd recovered from a bluescreen.
Second time happened while I was asleep, I've not a clue what happened before it forcefully retarded my PC. I don't even know if it forcefully restarted my PC or if the power went out for a second or what.
mediafire.com/file/0a7x2c0dwy29iy4/Minidump.rar/file
Anyone able to point me in the right direction and give me a likely suspect for what's causing this and what I can do about it?
Windows 7 - 64 bit, not sure what other info to provide.

used the about:config settings on here
www dot privacytools dot io/#browser
and I can't hover replies anymore on Jow Forums, site's a bit weird, I've done this before but never had this issue. what's the problem?

>I typed restarted as retarded
>twice
This is what I get for trying to think at 6am.

Attached: Im retarded.gif (218x228, 1024K)

I smashed my phone and would like to get some files off of it, but the screen won't turn on. Is there a way I can access the its contents from my pc?

Connect it to your PC through USB.

i just upgraded my motherboard from a legacy bios motherboard to a uefi motherboard. i normally dual boot ubuntu and windows 10, but windows 10 doesn't seem to boot, regardless of if i set the "legacy + uefi bios" boot option in the bios settings. is there any way to fix this without having to completely reinstall both operating systems?

In principle, one could imagine a system with multiple socketed processors which could be designed to allow hotswapping (or one soldered and one or more socketed). I imagine it would be necessary to "unmount" or otherwise signal your intention to remove a CPU before doing so, so it could offload its internal state first.

I'm not aware of any systems that actually support any of this. It sounds like an enormous embuggerance to design with very limited practical use, so I don't expect to see any anytime soon. Still, it's an interesting question.

Upload the minidump here: osronline.com/page.cfm?name=Analyze
And show us the analysis results. (I could do it myself, but I'm far too lazy to put up with mediafire.)

Would running a 2600x qnd a gtx 1080ti be reasonable or too much bottleneck to be worth it? I'm looking at getting one as prices seem to come down a bit, I've seen some 1080 TI's for under 600 usd before shipping and they seem good like a good deal but I dont want to be wasting most of the performance with my CPU. That said I could over clock, I havent tried this yet but I bought the 2600x for this reason.

I assume you've alright tried just plugging it in and had no luck. Does it turn on? (You might not be able to tell without a screen, but maybe there's an LED or something). What phone is it?

If you're trying to play at 144fps then it could be a problem. If you play at 60 then it will be fine.

im a faggot and i want rice.

i foud an i3 configuration i think is really pretty, and i dont think im retarded enough to fuck up installing it too badly, but the think is i want to have the prettyness of that i3 configuration, but with the panels and application menu of cinnamon.

i install i3-cinnamon-git from the aur, and im in that right now, but unless theres some setup required here that i dont know about it isnt what im looking for.

I would optimally like to play at 144hz but I dont have a g-s yh nuh moniter right now anyway.

Really I'd like to be able to do like 1080p 144hz and 1440p at like 90 fps or better, at least optimally, I dont know what's reasonble to expect.

Anyone know where I can find working drivers for a GeForce 6200 256MB PCI card running Win98?

Attached: PCI-Graphics-Card-Geforce-6200-256MB-DDR2-DVI-VGA-100-Original-New.jpg_640x640q90.jpg (640x640, 64K)

Correct. It does turn on (started vibrating getting notification sounds a few minutes after turning it on), and I tried plugging it into my computer. It recognizes the phone but I can't actually access anything. It is an HTC 1 m9

I assume you've tried this? nvidia.com/object/win9x_81.98

Also nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html

Not sure which bits especially you're looking for, so here they are in pastebins.
pastebin.com/cn4aqt2K
pastebin.com/jdU4HjVH

I'm headed out to work in a second but I'll answer anything further as soon as I get a moment.

As you're probably aware, your CPU sets a hard limit on the framerate you can reach regardless of how good your GPU is (and regardless of how low you're willing to go with the settings).

Benchmarks: pcgamer.com/amd-ryzen-5-2600x-review/
In short, ~90fps is doable in most games; 144 won't happen.

Do you have a password?

What's a decent GPU for driving a 4k display for regular desktop use + streaming video? Would a Ryzen APU be able to do it?

Tried posting this in the pcbg thread but no one has answered, figured I'd try here.

Have you recently installed new hardware, updated drivers, etc? If not, it's probably a hardware problem. I suggest you run memtest: memtest86.com/download.htm

You will need a spare USB stick (that you don't mind wiping). Use their tool to prepare the USB stick, then boot from it and let it test overnight.

Attached: 2018-09-03 07_01_32-Bug Check 0x7F UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP _ Microsoft Docs.png (954x231, 27K)

Yeah. The installer says it can't find a Nviduia graphics chip. I don't know what that means.

I do not

Anything will be fine for general desktop and youtube. For high-bitrate 4K video, it's a bit more complicated. AMD GPUs usually have very limited or no hardware decoding, and I assume the same is true for their APUs. In that regard an Intel iGPU would actually be better (even though the amd APUs are better in games).

Well that depends on the game yeah? I'm pretty sure it keeps wow above 160 if I lower the setting a tiny bit. I dont expect it to be perfect in all games though 90 fps with 1440p wouls be enough of an upgrade, I suppose I would need to work on getting. 1440 g synch monitor though.

hey sqt

what are some g approved mail applications? preferably available on Linux and Windows, but i mainly use windows. Is thunderbird the only viable one currently?

>Well that depends on the game yeah?
Sure, but the benchmarks give a pretty good general idea of what you can expect. Much closer to 90 than to 144.

Cool, thanks for the quick reply.

yes

Attached: pic.png (831x615, 29K)

my mail solution is mutt on a kind of desktop-in-the-cloud thing I've put together, with offline gmail on the side on my pixelbook for when I need that. The idea being that I use mutt via ssh from my laptop when I can and fall back to offline gmail when I don't have network.

It's not optimal, and I really wish there was a better solution. I'd honestly drop the mutt side of things if there exists (or I could run) some kind of webmail that can use my gpg key and easily formats text for technical mailing lists correctly.

Unless you want encrypted 4k content like netflix. That requires CPU botnet extensions on the jewish chips.

So I was considering upgrading my storage from two drives (a 1TB HDD and a 500gb HDD) to something like a 250GB SSD and a 2 TB HDD, but what I do not quite get is that, if I wanted to use SSD as a cache for the 2 TB drive, do I want to install Win10 to the SSD, or do I install it to the 2 TB drive and use the SSD strictly only as cache?
Can I even install WIn10 to SSD and use the remaining space as a Cache for the 2 TB drive?

Attached: 1435935572436.jpg (130x148, 8K)

I dug up an old computer recently and the only internet port available is a telephone jack. Can I just adapt that over to ethernet and plug it into a router and go, or would it be better to get a PCI-ethernet card?

Everynow and then whenever I'm wathching a Flash video my computer will freeze up and audio will like get super loud but slow down and I can't do shit for like 30 seconds to 3 minutes while it resets

Anyone have any ideas?

What can you do with Python that is applicable nowadays?

Attached: Yellow_partyhat_detail.png (323x264, 37K)

it's a general purpose programming language, you can do anything computable with it

is it a good idea to put SSDs into RAID 1 (striping for 2x speed)?

Assuming money is no issue. I really want to put 4 SSDs into RAID 10 (mirroring + striping). Peace of mind if one fails, and I get the speed bump.

unfortunately no, that phone jack is probably a dialup modem, which isn't going to be able to do ethernet.

i guess a PCI ethernet card might work, but it sounds like this thing is ancient enough that you're going to run into a lot of problems on the way. if you're just doing it for fun, sure, go down to your local parted-out-hardware emporium and pick up an old PCI ethernet card on the cheap. if you're looking to actually do anything useful with it, though, you're probably in for a bad time.

idk why your using win10 but you won't fully benefit from a SSD purchase unless your main OS and all programs/games are on it.

Attached: 2018.05.20 - Feed me ぱぱ - 68852396_p0.jpg (1082x1567, 537K)

I just want to run Xdmx or VNC X11 to extend my primary PC's desktop, so basically all it needs to do is run X and take input from the network. It's not -that- old, currently running Windows 95, but I'll find a good Linux distro.

I don't have a local parts store that's less than 30 minutes away so I'll probably just throw an $8 card in my next Amazon order. Thanks for the info.

Attached: 20180901_171626.jpg (4032x3024, 3.75M)

>I just want to run Xdmx or VNC X11 to extend my primary PC's desktop
Just plug the display into your primary, duh

Attached: 1468126403381.jpg (720x552, 64K)

see pic, but good luck anyway user

Attached: oh-i-hate-this.jpg (302x225, 9K)

my video card is full and Manjaro doesn't seem to play nice with multiple cards.

what a coincidence

Attached: Weeabasement.jpg (4608x2240, 3.5M)

>is it a good idea to put SSDs into RAID 1 (striping for 2x speed)?
RAID 1 is Mirroring. The same data is on both drives, no speed increase, nor space increase.
RAID 0 is Striping. The data is split between both, doubling speed and space.
RAID 10 is a combination of both. You get 2x speed and half the space.

Is there a way to make a webm behave like a gif on my website? Autoplaying, repeating, no playback controls etc

got them mixed up
I meant to ask about striping (RAID 0)

Been a C/C++ programmer for 4 years
now learning to use python for machine learning in sophomore year of undergrad
often come across "this is the pythonic way"
what exactly is the "pythonic way?"

looks like yes, the video tag has attributes to control those kinds of things w3schools.com/tags/tag_video.asp

Python has its own convenient ways of doing things, which you should learn and use. For example, using list comprehensions instead of for loops.

Another, which I hate, is calling a function that returns a tuple of values, and "catching" the values with several variables rather than as one tuple

`a, b, c = fun_that_returns_tuples()`

instead of

```
tup = fun_that_returns_tuples()
a = tup[0]
```

it's a short way of saying "follows the conventions of the language". It's purposefully vague, but for the most part learning what's pythonic involves either a lot of reading good python code or having your code reviewed by someone well-versed in python.

What SSDs?
I ran a couple of Samsung 830 128GB drives for years in a RAID0. Never any issues. I just backed up what was important to another drive. The OS and Steam were installed on the RAID0 config, as well as all other programs. Despite what people here say, so long as the drives are quality, 128GB in RAID0 isn't any more dangerous than a single SSD by itself.

what's to hate? you're reducing the number of lexically scoped names by one, which seems like a win.

>github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/DOCS/man/lua.rst

I want to make a script that skips the video/audio to 1.5 minutes in a video

>require 'mp'
>mp.command("seek 90")

These two should work unless I'm calling the seek command wrong. The doc says seek is in seconds, so 90 seconds = 1.5M.

What else do I need to do to make the lua work?

probably because I learned C++ before Python

Can I use it to make video games to sell on steam?
Can I make Android apps to sell on Google play?

I probably know the answer to these, but a better question is: should I?

About the only thing I've done recently is install / play Monster Hunter: World, which has been eating up nearly my entire CPU.

Will do that then, assuming I can still remember to tonight.

disk or ram probs

did you see the bsod process error message?

2600x 1070, 16GB Ram. Can I play 2K on 60fps with OC or stick safely with 1080p?

No, there was no message for the first one and I was asleep the second time.

My brother bought this laptop a few years ago and its hard drive was partitioned like pic related.
We don't need any recovery partition and we want to do a fresh install of Windows.
Can we delete all these partitions and create a new big one that uses all the available space?

What's the 100MB EFI System Partition that's at the beginning?
Do I need to keep it or I can erase the whole partition table and start from scratch?

Attached: 1.png (1489x580, 38K)

I haven't installed Windows in several years, but now that I think about it I remember something about Windows creating such partition on install.
So if I erase the whole drive Windows will recreate that 100MB partition automatically, right?

Alright, run chkdsk and some smart attrib reading utilities in case its the disk. For ram theres memtest but there are 2 versions im not sure which is good

EFI partition contains the bootloader, you do need it (unless you wipe the whole drive, repartition as MBR and use legacy BIOS boot instead of UEFI).
You can delete both the recovery partitions and D: then expand C: to the right. To expand C: to the left you'd need to boot up some linux live CD and use GParted so for 900MB I'd be lazy and not bother.

2K is 2048x1080 or a crop of it, which includes 1080p. If you meant 2560x1440, that's not 2K and I hate you. But yes, a 1070 is more than enough for most games at 2560x1440.

>EFI partition contains the bootloader, you do need it (unless you wipe the whole drive, repartition as MBR and use legacy BIOS boot instead of UEFI).
What would happen if I deteled it?
Would the OS only work with MBR then, or it would just recreate a new EFI partition allowing me to keep using GPT?

And what would the downsides be to using MBR?
Can't I just erase the whole thing and use MBR?

Yes, Yes, Maybe.

function skip_start(_, played)
if played < 90 then
mp.command("seek 91 absolute")
return
end
end

function skip_end(_, remaining)
local duration = mp.get_property_number('duration')

if remaining < 130 then
mp.command("keypress PGUP")
return
end
end

mp.observe_property("time-pos", "number", skip_start)
mp.observe_property("time-remaining", "number", skip_end)

Here's what I got so far on a very rudimentary level. It skips the first 1.5m of the video and then when the file reaches the last 2 minutes of the video, it presses the page up(next file) in line.

This works fine. However when the next file is played, it doesn't skip to the 1.5m nor does it skip to the next file when the file only has 2 min left. So it only works on the first file loaded.

Any way to fix this?

I installed about a 1000 different fonts and now word, paint and other stuff freezes for a minute when trying to choose a font. What do?

If you just delete it you'll have nothing to boot. You could boot up a live linux disc to then convert the partition table to MBR, then boot up a Windows install disc to add the BIOS bootloader.

MBR/legacy BIOS boot does still work, but you're limited to 2TB max on the boot drive, can't use NVMe SSDs, is usually a bit slower. Expect support for it to disappear on motherboards in the next few years.

Installing Windows in MBR/legacy BIOS mode will also create a 100MB partition by default but it doesn't actually get used unless you enable Bitlocker so you could delete and rearrange partitions after if you really care about that 100MB.

So if I erase everything and boot from a Windows installer CD I'll be able to install Windows on a new partition and it will create the EFI bootloader for me?
Even if I'm using GPT?

Yes. The EFI loader is only used for GPT.

>is usually a bit slower
What do you mean?
Is it slower during boot, or does it make the computer slower during normal usage?

So if I erase everything and boot from a Windows installer CD I'll be able to install Windows on a new partition and it will create the EFI bootloader for me?
Or will I be fucked and won't ever be able to run Windows on it (unless I switched to MBR) because I deleted that partition?

Just slower to boot, when using legacy boot on recent motherboards it's starting a BIOS emulator that handles the early startup until Windows has loaded its own drivers.

Windows setup will automatically create the EFI partition and install the bootloader, don't need to do anything yourself unless you want something unusual like a larger EFI partition or have it located somewhere else.

>Windows setup will automatically create the EFI partition and install the bootloader, don't need to do anything yourself unless you want something unusual like a larger EFI partition or have it located somewhere else.
So I can erase the whole drive and I'll be fine, correct?

Yep

god damn why are lolis so great?

Thank you.