Do any of you guys use openbsd? How is it? I really want to get off this gnu/linux boat

Do any of you guys use openbsd? How is it? I really want to get off this gnu/linux boat.

Attached: 800px-OpenBSD_Logo_-_Cartoon_Puffy_with_textual_logo_below.svg.png (800x520, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-laptops-netbooks-and-tablets/new-inspiron-15-5000-amd/spd/inspiron-15-5575-laptop/ni155575_btsb_s8012e
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As long as you use a mechanical hard drive and don't mind using out of date software it is fine.

Pajeet level bullshit

There's already a fucking thread you cock end.

Proof? Openbsd repos seem up to date.
What kind of newfag are you? Windows is pajeet level retard.
Where

>Proof? Openbsd repos seem up to date.
Define up to date.

Well...some packages are a couple versions back. I don't mind

Okay, then use OpenBSD. You do use a mechanical hard drive, right?

You mean HDD? Yea.
couple versions behind*

>You mean HDD?
A mechanical hard drive, yes.

Yes, i have a hdd and i don't mind if some or most packages are a couple versions behind. Is there anything else i need to know?

No, that's about it. Have fun on OpenBSD. You are running on a desktop, right?

I'm going to buy this laptop
dell.com/en-ca/shop/dell-laptops-netbooks-and-tablets/new-inspiron-15-5000-amd/spd/inspiron-15-5575-laptop/ni155575_btsb_s8012e

If wifi doesn't work,i will use ethernet or buy a wifi dongle?

I was more referring to power management, it's poor on laptops. So just keep your charger handy, I guess.
I'm not sure if AMD graphics are well supported, but it will work with that laptop. The performance will just be lower than on other systems.

How do you know so much? Are you an openbsd dev?

It's common knowledge.

I feel like it won't run smoothly....

It might not. It might take some tweaking to get it to run well with your hardware. But you may as well try it for yourself. It won't cost you anything but time.

What do u use user

>If wifi doesn't work,i will use ethernet or buy a wifi dongle?

Why don't you first check if your network card is supported or not. You don't need to buy the laptop to do that.

I only have one. I might experiment if i had another

If you're using it as a desktop OS, you'll be bitterly disappointed

It's fine even with an SSD. TRIM helps prolong life but is by no means necessary.

Just spend $5 on a supported card and don't worry about getting a specific laptop for Wi-Fi

OpenBSD is the best OS I've ever used. Its only downfall is that it doesn't have video drivers, though that's not its own fault. Its userland is far superior to GNU's, and configuring and maintaining the system is easy.
Try all the BSDs until you find your favorite, which will probably be OpenBSD.

OP here, which laptop do you use? Also is there anything else i should know?

Attached: change.png (500x2000, 352K)

"That guy" OS.

I use Arch, Parabola, and GuixSD when I use Linux. I haven't used any *BSD in over a year.

I mean, I guess it isn't as important now that SSDs are more affordable, but I still think TRIM is a necessity for SSDs.

I don't own any laptops, other than a shitty Pinebook. I use OpenBSD on an ancient Dell desktop I got for free, which I use as a webserver.
>anything else i should know
Don't be afraid to read the documentation, it's actually useful. There isn't anything like a GNU man page which just says "read the info page instead :-DD"
Not sure of anything else in particular. I like that all BSDs come with C compilers in the default install.

Ah, you should know OpenBSD isn't minimal, in a good way. Comes with cc, ctags, lex, yacc, X11, a lot of good programs for X11, a webserver, etc. But it all fits on a CD, you don't even need a DVD.

It isn't important because nobody runs OpenBSD on bare metal.

That's what OP wants to do. But he'd probably be happier with FreeBSD or GhostBSD.

>guixSD, Parabola, Arch
Those don't sound maximally free user, do they use GPL packages/kernels?

Parabola and GuixSD are FSF approved.

Why is arch so gay

Why do you think that? It's just an easy to use distro with bleeding edge software.

>FSF approved
That doesn't answer my question user, and worries me considering the FSF approves of the GPLv3 license, which is far from maximally free

Hyper links in installation page

Copyleft is a good thing, as it ensures that software remains free even when forked. So it maxmises freedom by forcing those who would otherwise not make software free to do so.

>nobody runs OpenBSD on bare metal
When did thinkpads stop being bare metal? Are you thinking of how FreeBSD developers only use Macs?

What page? The installation is as basic as it gets. Just partition, make the fs, mount it, and install the base packages. It couldn't be simpler.

Copyleft isn't a good thing though user, the user is supposed to make their own decisions, not be handheld by someone else
How do you expect people to learn if you handhold them
I'm sorry but the GPL seems more like a mistake to me after hearing your view on things

No, im a perfectionist. The installation page is a clusterfuck.

The user does make their own decision. They don't have to use software that is licenced under the GPL. The developer may prefer that their software remain free, so then they use the GPL and copyleft ensures that freedom is maximised.

He's not wrong
The installation page is clearly bloated
Not a good sign

Well, I've never seen it before.

But it's not free, it's completely bound by the license
Granted, the developer freely chose to use said license, but the license binds other devs that might want to use said program to a set of rules, making it non-free
(Non-free as in non-freedom)

It doesn't matter if they're free to enslave others, that isn't the point of free software. The point of free software is to make the software free, therefore the GPL and copyleft are tools for maximising freedom.

>the point is to make the software free, even if it enslaves others
Doesn't sound like freedom to me user...
Did you live in the USSR from the 1920s to the 1980s or something?
Freedom means you can't dictate to anyone, in the western hemisphere

How is it enslaving others if it remains free? That's like saying a public space enslaves others, as it does not allow you to build a wall around it to prevent others from using it.

Well, for one it's nothing like a public park
It's more like a blueprint of a public park, or even a rough sketch of one and it tells you that if you build a park using said blueprint, then you can't build a wall around that park that you built with your own time and on your own property using someone else's blueprint
Doesn't sound free to me user

To be a public utility it has to be open to the public, so I see no reason to disagree with the notion that to be build a public park it must be made public.

Ok what if it's a blueprint of a regular park then
Or a blueprint of a gun :^)

You mean a private park? Then the person can design it how they want, unbound by the necessity of making it public to be a public park.
Same thing goes for a gun. They just can't infringe on a patent that requires their blueprints to be made public if they use the patented material in their design.