be me ~2010

> be me ~2010
> using Linux with ATI graphics
> worst experience of my life
> everyone brags about how much better nVidia is
> fast forward
> buy my first nVidia card, GTX 1050i
> excitedly install various Linux distros
> horrible screen tearing on the desktop, weird artifacts, compositors run at ~40 fps.

Why does Linux suck so bad at graphics? What hardware do KDE or GNOME developers use? Do they just ignore that shit? Are they ignorant of how much better Windows and Mac performs?

Attached: luv.jpg (648x648, 101K)

>KDE
>GNOME
found your problem
stop using performance hogs

Roles are reversed now, AMD has the better drivers and they are also in mainline kernel

XFCE is my favorite but there is always screen tearing.

You can blame Nvidia for that.

blame nvidia for shitty Amd drivers?

I bet if anyone knew half a shit about kernel development we'd know how much of a clusterfuck the Linux kernel and Xorg / Wayland (if that is still a thing now) development actually is.

There's a reason why nVidia is top dawg on Windows and Mac but not Linux and it's not incentive. There are tons of reasons for nVidia to fully support Linux.

Ironically the situation is now flipped. AMD has superior drivers while nVidia is a trainwreck.

Don't blame us for not bothering to take a glance at the driver situation when buying a new card, especially 8 years later. The fact you're blaming KDE and GNOME developers is further proof you're still stuck in 2010

Do you have any clue how much more inefficient the RX480 is compared to the GTX1050ti? My 1050 runs with the fans off 90% of the time. I remember my old ATI card (in combo with a Pentium 4) keeping my room warm during the winter.

nVidia is easily a generation above AMD at the moment. I can't sacrifice that for NFS support which is all I really want on my desktop because Samba is pure garbage.

Get an AMD GPU or use the Intel iGPU, and install wayland.

Yeah I'm probably gonna set up something to use Intel for my Linux install. Still gonna be a PITA

>nvidia drivers
>good, anywhere
Not in my experience, in the last decade at least. Not to mention on Linux you have to use their proprietary rubbish. AMD isn't better on Windows, though.

amd is better supported on linux now though, its:
intel > amd > nvidia

2005 wants its meme back

>I bet if anyone knew half a shit about kernel development we'd know how much of a clusterfuck the Linux kernel and Xorg / Wayland (if that is still a thing now) development actually is.

Former linux kernel developer, Con Kolivas:
>The summary of my impression was that I was... surprised. Now I don't claim to be any kind of expert on code per-se. I most certainly have ideas, but I just hack together my ideas however I can dream up that they work, and I have basically zero traditional teaching, so you should really take whatever I say about someone else's code with a grain of salt. Well, anyway, the [Solaris] code, as I saw it, was neat. Real neat. Extremely neat. In fact, I found it painful to read after a while. It was so neatly laid out that I found myself admiring it. It seems to have been built like an aircraft. It has everything that opens and shuts, has code for just about everything I've ever seen considered on a scheduler, and it's all neatly laid out in clean code and even comments. It also appears to have been coded with an awful lot of effort to ensure it's robust and measurable, with checking and tracing elements at every corner. I started to feel a little embarrassed by what we have as our own kernel. The more I looked at the code, the more it felt like it pretty much did everything the Linux kernel has been trying to do for ages. Not only that, but it's built like an aircraft, whereas ours looks like a garage job with duct tape by comparison.

>excitedly install various Linux distros
this was the thing you did wrong

wtf do you need a 1050 on a linux machine? use your mobo integrated card already

> inb4 wine
> inb4 other solutions that will cost you several FPS

Disable XFCE screen compositor and download compton, I run that on every build. 0 tearing

Try not buying hardware based on info 8 years old.

He compared the schedulers (what else), but since then the Linux got a bunch of patches for that, so your post is irrelevant and out of context.

Attached: 4519a573e2b1dc12902b0a8f46749a293fdb7595ff339159c94ee30fd1b6d5c5.png (576x545, 290K)

Oh, phew .. good.
I was starting to feel uncomfortable using Linux.

Attached: wojak.png (564x610, 195K)

How do you know I use arch Linux?

>he thinks African based community hack code will ever be as good as a proprietary Unix release.

Attached: woody.png (1000x956, 1.03M)

you done goof, amd gpus are where's it at on linux these days

you know con kolivas maintains a linux cpu and io scheduler, which you can install right now if you like, right?
ever heard of the ck patchset? want to take a guess what 'ck' stands for?

This is an ugly actress.
I was so triggered by how ugly she was I didn't pay attention to her scenes.

What was her role?
The autismo real bean thought he was the real kiddo. She could basically log in ssh in his brain.
He went rogue and joined the star wars guy.
She went after autismo boi
The real kiddo was the woman in the bubble

What did I miss?

i still can't see why all of /tv/ loves this disgustingly ugly bitch

>> using Linux with ATI graphics
>> worst experience of my life
let me guess, you were using fglx instead of radeon

>Do you have any clue how much more inefficient the RX480 is compared to the GTX1050ti? My 1050 runs with the fans off 90% of the time. I remember my old [ not RX480 ] ATI card (in combo with a Pentium 4) keeping my room warm during the winter.
nice comparison turbo fag

>intel > amd > nvidia
wrong it's
amd > intel > nvidia

3h of your life

Back in 2010 radeon was fucking shit. It was only around 2015 when it started to get somewhat decent. OP's problem is that he's an absolute cretin who hasn't even considered that mabe things changed in the past 8 years.

oh i forgot you're from /v/

I was in an airplane and I already saw all content of interest in the month's online entertainment's program.
It was either this movie, the new star wars or black panther.

Next time check driver status before buying. Doing it after is just plain stupid.

>garage job with duct tape
kek

This
/thread/

Werks_on_my_machine.html

monolithic kernel developed is always a clusterfuck, nothing new here.
>here's a reason why nVidia is top dawg on Windows and Mac but not Linux and it's not incentive.
Nvidia's drivers are dogshit in any OS, they are just especially bad in linux, that's all

like other anons said, its not the 2000's or the early 2010's anymore. no gpu today, amd or nvidia will work as a space heater.

Blade Runner 2049 is basically a commentary on the average beta male vs feminism. In the end he kills Love (feminism) in favor of a man's traditional family role. Not that complicated senpai.

She's also hot as fuck if you're into strong women.

Nigger pentium 4 by itself would be enough for warming a house or two.
1050 is like 2 times less powerful than 480, though it would run with fans off when idle. Heck even r9 390 runs with fans off in shitty case with no airflow on my linux mint work machine.

Shit I meant the RX460. That was my other carI was considering I think.

Yeah this was way before Radeon. My first install was like Fedora Core 3 or something. Had to install SATA drivers over a floppy fucking disk because the install was over CD.

I did end up using Radeon after my card was like five years old.