Best linux distro

im really pro opensource and i want to start using linux

which distro should i get

Attached: 266px-Tux.svg.png (266x314, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_character
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that one

oh fuck here we go again

bubunters

Arch. Enough said

im sorry if im asking something stupid
i dont usually visit Jow Forums

Install gentoo

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation

Ubuntu everything else is unnecessary if you are new

Install gentoo

It depends on your hardware.
Search for the most popular and go with it.

DISTROS DISTROS DISTROS

My personal favorite is Void Linux.
Unless you want 64-bit wine it's perfect.

In other words.... : "intstall gentoo"

gentoo

Attached: 20180424022902_1600x900_scrot.png (1600x900, 599K)

>running firefox as root

> Using known bottnet

are you blind or just stupid?

>are you stupid
not stupid enough to run firefox as root i guess

Why do people hate systemd besides being against the principle of making each program do one thing well?
>t.Linux newfag

Can you link me to your dotfiles?

because they wear tin foil hats and are extremely paranoid about security and backdoors
>implying anyone wants to spy on a retard from Jow Forums
>implying the hardware itself has no backdoors
>implying anyone that really wants your info, specially the government, can't get it from you either way
just use whatever jesd wergs

install gentoo

it's not running as root you moron

It's running as firefox.

>i don't know what 'sudo' means in linux
noob

Very nice setup.

>debian
then choose stable, testing or sid (look at backports and pinning for more options)
the only one that is worth your time

Attached: gnudebian.jpg (371x323, 49K)

Pop! OS

I like manjaro
Too lazy to try to install and maintain arch and the AUR is pretty nice

Ubuntu if you wanna gaymn on Linux
Debian if you don't
Fedora if you wanna be adventurous - try new and interesting software, but be more prone to breakages
Arch if you're literally 12
Gentoo if you're autistic

I'd just like to interject for a moment

arch of course

Attached: 1534937030982.png (602x500, 45K)

is Tails valid?

just go with the one you like the most. Maybe read some about it, watch youtube videos about that distro to see if its a good choice you like.

>beginner/noob
Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro

>lifeless wageslave
Debian, RedHat, SLES, CentOS

>top tier hacker and serious devops
Arch, Gentoo

can you give me your bash PS1?

what happens if you're a NEET running Debian?

Τry openBSD -current
It's like linux, but better

or lifeless wageslave running ubongo?

LARPing as a lifeless wageslave

nah that's thinkpad owners

Xubuntu

what did you say about me?

It's GNU/Linux and the term "open source" misses the point.

Attached: 1956_12_Lisa Winters 01.jpg (1728x792, 155K)

This but unironically

It was not ironic, i'm literally using it right now

Attached: screenshot.png (1366x768, 117K)

MXlinux and you'll never need another distro.

don't recommend obscure distros to normies

elaborate

muh sekret club

Well done!

not enough user friendly

Have you ever used MX?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_character

it takes like 5 hours to install that shit
arch takes less than an hour to install and its basically better since you dont have to compile fucking everything.

For a beginner, either Ubuntu or Manjaro.

>the compile time meme

the compile times are the only potential down side to gentoo compared to other distros tbqh desu, although it's not really much of an issue really
most packages don't take more than a minute or two to compile on current hardware
if you're installing a larger package with quite a few dependencies, just let it do it's thing and do something else while it installs, whatever it is, you almost definitely don't need to run it immediately, and if you do, it's your fault for not installing it earlier
like, if you're at uni and you need to turn in a pdf presentation in the next 30min and you don't have libreoffice on your thinkpad, that's your fault for being dumb (although you can get lo in binary form, but that's besides the point)
as for updates, just make sure to update once a week or two and it shouldn't take more than like 5-30min or so on average on an average machine (unless there's a lo update or something)
surely you can allocate like 30min on sundays or something for those updates (you can do them while you sleep, especially if it takes longer cause of older hardware)
the compile times shouldn't get in your way unless you're an idiot who can't manage his time in most basic ways or something
so I consider compile times to be a non issue basically
therefore I'd say gentoo only has advantages compared to other distros, so why would you use any other distro is beyond me

tl;dr: compile times are a non issue; stop making excuses and install gentoo faggot

This is still pretty up to date

Attached: DistroGuide.png (3000x1568, 493K)

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has never been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc. Additionally;
>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>(arch v gentoo related) arch users complain about 'muh compile time' when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *- git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you need to install a shitton of GUI stuff which you'll never need nor use
>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

theres also the fact that there were at least 3 different programs(excluding dependencies)that i wanted to use that consistently fail to compile in the repositories right now.

which ones?

>arch users pride themselves in installing arch and learning so much about how linux works under the hood, yet the install is literally copypasting a bunch of commands, usually without proper explanation
>e.g. to chroot into the new install, you use arch-chroot, which automatically bind-mounts procfs, devfs and sysfs, but nowhere on the guide does it say that that's a very important step, so should archfags ever need to fix their system via chrooting from a livecd that doesn't have arch-chroot, they'd be fucked
>the kernel is auto-configured in a just werks way (basically make allyesconfig), which is unnecessary bloat and for such a diy distro, configuring the kernel yourself should be the official way of doing it
>arch cannot boot without an initramfs per default
>pacstrap always installs the same shit, uclibc, dietlibc, musl, gnu-less toolchains etc are not an option from the get-go

VLC, gnuradio, and gqrx and basicaly any other GUI frontend for SDR.

Red Star OS

Attached: RS_OS.png (263x201, 11K)

and there was also the fact that wine didnt work for any discernable reason on my previous gentoo install. it works just fine on arch now though.

Trisquel gnu/linix. Respects your freedom.

Attached: Logo-Trisquel.svg.png (1200x1187, 153K)

I want to learn more about linux and use it as an exercise to improve my understanding.
Is Linux from Scratch good for this purpose?

wine works perfectly fine on my machine, merging the other stuff rn
also
>using VLC in the first place

I'm seriously considering installing gentoo, but
>the compile times are the only potential down side
>gentoo only has advantages compared to other distros
would you mind summarizing the advantages it brings? obviously "you can choose what to build, how to build it", but is there anything else that isn't a direct extension of that?

idk i may try gentoo again in a few months, but for now everything just works on arch so i have no real reason to switch

If you want something that just works, use Debian or Ubuntu.

If you hate yourself and get off on torturing yourself slowly and painfully, Arch or Gentoo.

As an archfag, I gotta say void is pretty killer
But I just don't wanna migrate away from the AUR. Being able to keep my AUR packages up to date with a helper is easy as fuck. Half the packages in AUR might be fucked, but it's easier than having to grab shit from github all the time

Slackware.

also what would I gain/lose by using funtoo instead?

>updated
LMAO

it offers more customizability and freedom than any binary distro while still being convenient and easy to use
you get all the advantages of building software from source without any disadvantages besides le compile tiem meme basically
portage is hands down the most powerful package management system other than Guix or whatever nixos uses maybe
it handles package management brilliantly, makes it easy to have multiple versions of the same package installed, or to mix stable and bleeding edge (things you can't easily do on other distros w/o breaking them), apply patches and whatnot else
by default, gentoo uses openrc and it's the only distro w/o systemd that's mature and well established, has a lot of packages and a large community with great support
there are also trusted user repos (like the AUR, although AUR isn't that trusted) called overlays which contain a ton of packages, if you can't find something in the default repo (which by itself has more packages than most distros)
you can easily add overlays and use them alongside the default repo
if there's something you can't find in any overlay, writing an ebuild (a package build script) is easy and there's a wiki guide and lots of documentation on that (or you can just ./configure; make; make install like on any other distro but to spare yourself the effort of doing that every time you update the package and to spare yourself and others the effort of manually hunting down deps every time they install the thing, you ought to write an ebuild and put it up somewhere)

gnuradio is the only thing that failed in compile phase, everything else is ok
it wasn't marked as "stable" anyway though
you should've asked the people on IRC to check it out, they're always there to help

also, the community is very friendly and helpful, if you're having an issue, just hop on #gentoo on freenode and ask away
people think that gentoo is "hard" but the point of gentoo is to be as customizable as possible and offer as much freedom of choice as possible and make that easy and convenient for you
and it does brilliant job

it's basically the same, with some slight meaningless modifications to portage as far as I know; google it
it's a smaller distro, meaning less people and less support, idk I just see it as pointless fragmentation tbqh desu

Lol
There's a second version that's newer, its right on the installgentoo wiki

> Using unknown botnet is better

you mean... that one?

that's what xir said

but that one isn't for the faint of heart

if you're a newbie probably just ubuntu

install larpos

This, unironically. I've been using it for a while now; it has debian's repository with lots of stuff backported so you're not stuck with old programs, it has xfce so it runs on your granddad's computer, it has MX tools which come in handy and are in one window. Everything worked out of the box, can't remember the last time that happened.

Ctrl+F Devuan, 0/0
>feelsbadman

that was made by some SJW wasnt it?