Opinion on Linux Mint 19

hey Jow Forums what do you guys think of LM19

Attached: cinnamon.png (1920x1200, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

b00merang.weebly.com/windows-95.html
lwn.net/Articles/676664/
gentoo.org/news/2018/06/28/Github-gentoo-org-hacked.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

if you like it, use it. Why do you care what others think

it is a work of art.

I love it, I've only tried Cinnamon though so I can't speak on the other versions but I really like the GUI and ease of access. Your most common retards could understand how to use it.

Yeah. Like poopies.
Art house, my ass.

Simple for simple, though I would write a better non-gui installer for full normies

I switched a few weeks ago because ubuntu MATE kept glitching out. I like it a lot

It is user friendly alternative to Windows.

You install it (takes 5 minutes) and everything works out of the box. It's slick as hell.

>cloning a clone

Attached: 1530301954199.jpg (690x460, 186K)

It's nice and normalfagfriendly.

I like it because it's one of the few distros that have absolutely no problems on my laptop. I use it for uni. I run Windows 10 in VM for Office and other proprietary shit, though. Overall, quite kino with Windows 95 theme.

boot times seems a bit faster than 18
I didn't see that kind of improvement from 16 to 17 or 17 to 18.

>quite kino
What does "kino" mean, zoomer?

b00merang.weebly.com/windows-95.html

this desu senpai
just use debian or ubuntu

Kino means "windows 95 theme" in zoomerspeak?

I'm still using 18, but Mint has always worked great for me. Using it for... Has it been a decade already?

>not using a rolling release distro
>the absolute state of Jow Forums

How embarassing. I bet you unironically use a tiling manager as well.

Yep.

actually I use KDE

I don't think of it at all

i used to use mint, but i switched to kubuntu
but mint is a good distro

linux mint debian version

*SLAPS Anonymous with a trout*

It's Linux Mint Debian EDITION.

in newfag-speak, it means "good", and when enough newfags spread this shit to the normies, it will mean "good" to the rest of the world too, and dictionaries will be updated with the new meaning

these OS wars make Jow Forums so shit, almost like Jow Forums

When are we going to get another packard bell navigator?

Nice software center
Based Timeshift
But no more KDE?!!!

i was thinking of writing a generic "lol use arch or kys" comments just to troll, but i actually remembered that arch is fucking shit with proprietary GPU drivers
if you go on AyyMD's website to get proprietary linux drivers, they only officially support RHEL, CentOS and Ubuntu
so in a way, we are all force to use ubuntu-related distros

> shitstemd all over the place
I dropped mint. Had been using it for years.

I'm still on 18.1

But "kino" has been on Jow Forums since, what? 2015? It's just people only used it on /tv/. It's not newfag/zooomer lingo by any means.

Been using linux mint since day 1. Distro hopped millions of times and always come full circle to using mint. In my opinion its the best packaged distro ever made.

They should really port mintmenu to cinnamon. It's retarded how mintmenu isn't available for default mint's de.

I just used an electron generator from the 365 web apps and they work like a native app. It beats using a VM IMHO

And nothing of value was lost.

lwn.net/Articles/676664/

Attached: Screenshot_8.png (1222x717, 101K)

>2016
Irrelevant

just installed it on my egpu setup. it actually worked without having to mess around much. egpu worked right out of the box. i did have to manually change to proprietary nvidia driver and install compiz because dragging windows happened at 1 fps.

it's german for "cinema"
some idiot on /tv/ turned it into a meme

I just installed it on my new laptop and it seems fine, but I will always wonder would Ubuntu have been better?

You do know Ubuntu was hacked too, right ?
And so did Gentoo.

gentoo.org/news/2018/06/28/Github-gentoo-org-hacked.html

Hm, I don't know how to use Electron but I suppose making stuff like that could be a good way to learn.

It's also Russian for cinema.

I like it. It works fine, except that I can't for the life of me find out how I save my X-server settings. I do not want to change my refresh rate to 120 hz every time I log in.

mint is fucking godly, it's a half way between windows and mac with linux command line

also it just works

thats not what i meant, newfags have taken the word kino and are using it wrongly

I'm using it only because I'm too lazy to personalize ubuntu and mint does most things I want out of the box

Attached: 1529194493133.png (308x459, 334K)

got mint running on a different computer, might let my family use it since I think it will be simple enough for them
only problem is xrdp refuses to work for me, not really sure what to do about it now

My parents can use it better than windows, but they cant run print shop 12 on it.

I will use it once it is compatible with thinkpad fingerprint scanners, battery charging threshold, and bluetooth.

Plz enlighten on when Ubuntu was hacked

decided to try linux mint after valve's recent announcement regarding game compatibility for linux on steam - out of the 297 games i own on that platform, 135 will run on linux mint either natively, or after steam adds whatever compatibility stuff is needed to make the game run

im actually quite impressed by this

Attached: 1525871249475.png (1200x796, 561K)

>or after steam adds whatever compatibility stuff is needed to make the game run
it is already there but in beta, switch to beta steam client, allow steam play in options, download newest drivers, check what windows games already work on default settings

It's out of beta. It's in the normal release. Also, you'll have to figure out how to set up dxvk on your distro. There's a guide how to do in in ubuntu.

>It's out of beta
wait so they added more shit to the whitelist? or is it still Russian roulette when running games where some of them run perfectly and some of them don't work at all?

I don't think they've whitelisted anything new. Out of the games I have about 5 flat out won't even start, everything else works perfect.

It could use a more modern design, although the aged look makes it pretty comfy

How to change the hosts file when dolphin cant into root

the intention of the board is to discuss technology-related topics. OP is doing that
why are you so retarded?

Attached: 1523312562405.jpg (500x500, 40K)

except op offered no discussion, no opinion. he just said 'WHAT ABOUT THIS'

We have this thread every week

im a win7fag and i tried mint as an alternative to win10, impressed so far

I feel like the same 50 or so threads are posted every day/week and only 5-10 new ones get posted. I need to take a break.

non-free/10

Attached: 1536024243074.png (614x612, 367K)

I don't get why people use countless Ubuntu and Ubuntu cancer clones and not Debian directly. All these meme distros

love it for its out of box nature.

Started with linux mint after the amount of shit loaded into ubuntu pissed me off (before the shit flinging starts, kubuntu and xubuntu aren't known under ubuntu for a new user).

I wouldn't use it these days as a daily os but its fucking excellent for an easy break in to linux and the ways in which it differs from windows without throwing a radically different interface into the mix

This is what annoys me about the linux community. You have people saying there are too many distros and only a few are actually good and devs should spend more time on the good ones instead of making 100 forks. Then you have people saying having more distros is good, choice is good(despite some being shit).

Im on 18.3 cinnamon for a while as sonya and sarah were girlfriends of mine IRL

I tried the 19 cinnamon beta and YUCK ! the new cinnamon icons are UGLY AS FUCK. How has no one mentioned this ??

Attached: 1518709427279.gif (266x200, 209K)

Because noone uses cinnamon

Fuck Mint. Use Ubuntu instead. Or better yet, Debian.

WRONG.

cinnamon IS mint. if you want another desktop environment then use a another disro. Mint KDE hurts my head. XFCE is ok on non PAE 32bit machines and i have given LMDE2 a go and did not like the installer and few other things about it. cinnamon is the shizzle.

Attached: 1522088829542.jpg (288x325, 32K)

This. If you want mate use ubuntu (goodriddence unity). if you want gnome use debian. if you want plasma use Kubunte. If you want cinnamon use mint.

i have gone as far as to run devuan with cinnamon but i just come back to mint as like the bundled software collection far better.

It's all same debian except latest Ubuntu comes packed with botnet telemetry.

Fuck just install cinnamon on Debian. It's the same except the cancer of ubuntu

enountered a bug that renamed "mint 19" to "ubuntu 19" but rest of it is pretty cool

There are people ITT that don't distro-hop hourly

Attached: 1532672877695.jpg (415x540, 42K)

It’s a great non-faggy, beginner-friendly distro and it’s what I use. I am currently using the Cinnamon setup.
It’s a fairly solid Linux distro that doesn’t have that weird vibe of fedora tipper or coding trap or faggot with anime background.

I just throw in an hourly cronjob that downloads a different distro, installs it, and throws in the hourly distrohop script in the crontab.

Went to cinamon after ubuntus GNOME
It's so much nicer, but my pc wont boot if i try switching from intel graphics to dedicated gpu, it's a laptop, linuxnigger, help me out

holy shit, do you literally have nothing important to do?

Kino means pleasent to look at, most of the time because it's cinematographic, but in this case just pleasent to look at

I tried it when it dropped and it was glitchy, and broken. Been hoping around 18.04 variants for a bit before deciding to give Mint 19 another try. Just installed it today, and so far it's actually pretty good although it has the same issues with ipv6 that ubuntu does for some reason. Hopefully it stays ok.

>latest Ubuntu comes packed with botnet telemetry.
wait what

Basically this. Been using it as my daily driver since the weekend it was released.

It's great overall, although VMware workstation pro doesn't seem to work right, have less troubles with vbox, but vbox is clunky and shit. Otherwise, no real complaints.

also polish

It werks, but drags it's feet with updates. Still only has linux 4.15 kernel, as an example.

*its

Its max comfy, unlike other minimalist distros, it feels like a full desktop. 10/10

The XCFE was ok and everything worked until I fucked it up by porting over KDE, KDE is broken in kubuntu, which is where it came from. So I uninstalled it and went to manjaro only to find it was busted there too and in antergos and debian. Ended up having to use tumbleweed instead.

So is Times New Roman.

>KDE is broken in kubuntu
KDE is broken PERIOD. Has been since launch.

Attached: kde.png (481x233, 269K)

Yes.

shit man, i was trying to install mint on an oldie i5 2300 that was kind of tossed around at work and i had the same problem, it would just refuse to work if not on software rendering mode, would lock up instantly after loading the desktop, sometimes even sooner.
thing is, the machine died soon after, mainboard went poof, so i guess my problem kind of fixed itself but not in the way i'd like it to, and i would too appreciate some light on this particular issue.

I'm using LMDE3 and it's good for me and pretty comfy

My BT mouse stopped autoconnecting with clean install of 19. It worked flawlessly on 18.x. And also taskbar is uglier now, I don't know if I like this release

What did you change to?

I'm honestly switching to Mint Cinnamon from Kubuntu 18.04 LTS because it seems equally comfortable and I may get 30 minutes more of battery life

That was 2016, get over it already.
LM brought down the download servers, the next day they started fixing everything quick.