/hsg/ - Home server general

/hsg/ - Home server general

>Boomer vs Zoomer

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

---> Chat

Attached: 1535914796756.jpg (3264x2448, 1.42M)

Other urls found in this thread:

broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161497069/lsi-2108-8-port-6gbps-sas-controller-on-supermicro-system
twitter.com/AnonBabble

One wholesome bump for cam

Attached: P.png (156x153, 39K)

Are there any standalone itx atom 16-core boards with ecc support? Supermicro sells 16-core atom 1Us and they're silent. So they're perfect living-room server material, but 700$ for a barebone atom server...

Attached: IMG_20180902_230643.jpg (3000x2536, 1.23M)

Wasn't that shit released last year? I doubt you'll get away with a shitty cheapskate solution here.

Attached: R.png (505x466, 37K)

why the fuck is buffered ddr3 cheaper than unbuffered on ebay

Yes, $700 for a special piece of server hardware. It's normal.

What you should kinda question is how you end up with 16 core atom ECC RAM living room servers.

>discord
>rizon
This is why I hate posting in this general. Stop it.

would you like an IRC on a different server? we can set one up and bridge it. I just chose rizon because it's relatively unimpeded and many people are already on it.

Rizon is the shit server. Yes, put it somewhere better.

>niche atom
>supermicro
>-$700

Pick none.

What's your use case user?

availability
implying the 3 people who shitpost on there care, nice try boomer.

AI-controlled shitposting

Attached: 1527380134337.jpg (2582x1936, 1018K)

God speed, user.

You should train your model on a GPU and then inference it.

Is there a FOSS equivalent to Windows Server with AD/DS?

Cam, are you baiting?

Nope. srsbsns. I currently run pic related and am interested in trying out something different for my home server

Attached: o.jpg (753x289, 53K)

Putting on a small server for owncloud based on xcp-ng.
They just released a built-in raid1 during installation of the hypervisor.
Which will be the load on the CPU for the raid?
Is an old simple dual core enough? (E2200 if I remember correctly)
Asking because Q6600 are really cheap

Any LDAP server

Kill yourself you fucking faggot

Depends on size, for a smaller raid it should be ok.

I'm talking about 500GB-1TB over only 2 disks

Remember: Your data is only as safe as you make it. Go cheap with just any old drives you find in a "JBOD" config and no ups and no other backups, well you deserve whatever happens later. Do it right and your data will survive you long after you kick and it'll all be 100 % intact as the day you moved it to the server's drives.
Which would you rather do?, move the data to the server and just enjoy life, or move the data and then worry that "bit rot" or "drive failure" or "server failure/power failure" will take your data to digital nothingness.

this is why i use full disk encryption

That'll do. Good luck!

Attached: 1530439918851.jpg (315x315, 35K)

What's FDE got to do with data integrity?

Should I use Debian or Windows Server for a media / Plex + NAS server? Running from a Thinkpad T420.
Windows Server b/c that's what I'm familiar with, Debian b/c it's fast but there's a learning curve.

Oh Jesus dude get the q6600. Bios can easily overclock them too. If you raid even slow drives throughput can still be very high a mind your processor will choke even though you've got hardware raid card

Linux, because Windows Server are a ressource hag. FreeNAS if you wanna go straight for the NAS.

Am I a nice girl now, cam?

Attached: 1375578431405.jpg (2000x3022, 811K)

The way mine is setup, the core servers use ZFS and ReFS for the file systems. Then I have my data backed up twice to either another ZFS server or a Raid 5 Nas. So all in all 8 drives have to all die at once before my data is lost for good. All servers plus Nas is ran from a UPS.

One day when I got the time/money I've got a rack style 12 3.5 bay case I'm gonna press into service.
Gonna setup two Raid Z3 arrays and then mirror them. So then 6 drives would need to kick at once. Would need 10 or 12 TB drives for this to work though. Data loss would be a very slim possibility with such a setup. Only way to lose it would be if my house burnt or other acts of god.

I'm currently using several external hard drives to stockpile my shit. It's mainly backups of work and personal projects, important documents, program installers and OS ISO's I'd really rather not re-download, and photos. I'm the only one on my network.

Should I even bother getting a NAS? Or will getting yet another portable hard drive be adequate?

My go-to living room server/HTPC is something that I'm sure I'll get lots of shit over, but I use a C2D mac mini I picked up for $150. It's almost a decade old, but the form factor is great. I wiped macOS and installed CentOS and it's pretty much perfect. I run a Plex server and Kodi on it (Plex to stream to my laptop when I'm away from home, and Kodi for watching at home)

because motherboards for that are rare and expensive
this has always been the case for old ram

I can't do overclock with my motherboard and I don't even want to. I am for stability and endurance over performance. That CPU will only have to manage the hypervisor and a raid, I was asking if the Q6600 was a must have or only a nice addiction.
Furthermore, that system will be off-site with an adsl 10/1 connection, so I don't really care for disks throughput

>NAS
Zoom on with that shit

Another important thing: My main computer is not connected to the router with an ethernet cable since I am not allowed to modify the walls.

If you're already at a stage where you live in a shitty appartment, why do you care about a cable laying around?

So I want to buy a NAS and connect it directly to my TV with an HDMI cable to play films/tv shows. I plan to download the films/tv shows from the internet directly to the NAS but since my Router isn't in the TV room, I guess I'll have to use the WIFI in the NAS and browse the NAS using my Smartphone to get the downloads going. Will that work? I also want to use the NAS to stream music to other devices in the house. Is all this possible without being directly connected to the Router (which isn't in the TV room).

Pic related. I'm looking to buy a NAS with HDMI 2.0 so I can get 4k playback to the TV.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 01.10.44.png (1226x598, 217K)

I live with a roommate and the router is on the other side of the apartment in his room. I don't think he or the landlord would be cool with loose wires criss-crossing the apartment.

Then stop on having any hsg ideas and work on getting into proper appartment and I don't mean that in "haha poorfag" meaning, but in a real "right now you're the rollover of everyone there" meaning. Good luck.

Attached: me.2 - s5eu8tQxZr.jpg (640x640, 110K)

Or I could just do a Powerline come to think of it.

I plan to use Plex on the NAS by the way. Any thoughts on all this?

Even if I did move and am the sole occupant is there a point to a NAS? I only have external hard drives for storage purposes. I don't have a large collection of movies or media I regularly access.

>wanting a loud ass NAS in your living room
>using wifi to do this
This is so ass backwards it hurts. Connect NAS to gigabit router wired. Buy a Fire TV or similar to playback videos. Then you don't have to use a terrible Asustor

OK. I didn't realise a NAS was loud. So if I connect the NAS to the router, I won't be able to hardwire to the TV using an HDMI cable. I'll have to stream it to the TV. Won't that see a loss of quality?

>I don't have a large collection of movies or media I regularly access.
then you don't have a use for a NAS, congrats

This is my media setup: Works for me and has been flawless since 2012. I mean it "just works" and I do mean that literately.

Server side: All media files w/Serviio DLNA Media Server.
TV Side: WD TV Live Media player, Got two of them.

Supports pretty much anything;output's at 1080p, add new media files to the library (about 3 min later) they show up as watchable on the TV. Long as whatever device supports DLNA I'm golden. Can also remote view via webpage gui. Got around 4TB of media that it (Serviio) manages for me and that ain't counting the music collection.

Yes, you would. Unless you put the router very close to the tv, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Also this

Attached: 7ZCl8Ku.jpg (720x720, 35K)

The Server, along with the cable modem/router/ and switch is in the basement in it's own little corner. Both WD TV Lives are connected via wired Ethernet.

that's a nice rack

Am I the only one that has a waifu server

Attached: 341f543e-3f49-477e-b595-abd9e360218c.jpg (600x800, 56K)

Where's the server? I'm already questioning what a server would need water cooling for, but more importantly where's the storage?

Attached: lewd_ie.jpg (706x1000, 145K)

FreeIPA

I have a spare dual-port Intel gigabit NIC, anything I can use that for? I already have a dual-port machine serving as my router.

You mean a nuc? Could run it as script machine. As I am aware it only got a single hdd slot..

Attached: 1526187321791.jpg (1080x1080, 131K)

>You mean a nuc?
No. A NIC you fucking simpleton.

You could use it for LACP if your switch supports it.

Sorry to annoy you guys.
I recently bought some use servers and in those were some Fujitsu D2616-A22 GS1 controllers.
Those are basically LSI cards with an LSISAS2108.
My main storage runs through a different HBA to some expander boxes, but I thought why not use this and put some small SAS drives in the box itself aswell.
Now I cannot seem to find the FW for 2108 to get it into IT mode.
I found one article that list it together with the 2004 and 2008.
I wonder if anyone here knows if the 2008 FW really is compatabile or not.

LSI was bought by Broadcom. You need to contact them for any old hardware firmware. Fuck trusting random downloads off the net.

If the machines are Fujitsu, you need to contact them. LSI/Boardcom will fob you off to Fujitsu because they're the ones are supposed to be providing support.

Example: broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161497069/lsi-2108-8-port-6gbps-sas-controller-on-supermicro-system

Note: >The same applies to Dell, IBM, Lenovo, and HP.

You could use them for a firewall like PFSense. Put your modem in bridge mode and plug it into one for the WAN interface and use the other port for a LAN interface.

Or like the other guy said, if your switch supports it, use it for LACP for better speed.

Okay, its just that I heard that they officialy deny flash to IT mode for RAID controllers.

Still thank you guys I will try to contact Fujitsu.
Aside from that and the noise the RX300 S7 is overall really nice.

The fuck kinda question is that then? Do you ask your mom what to use a spoon for too?

I'm no the one that asked the original question ya spacker.

>Hur dur I'm only acting retarded

How is that in anyway relevant to the fact you thought he was talking about a fucking nuc when he specifically said "dual-port Intel gigabit NIC"? You're the retard.

Anyone run servers in an apartment? What do you do to keep the noise down? Don't want to piss my roommates off, but also can't fit anything in my closet.

get hp microserver

i have one in my room and i can barely hear it

If you got a 2u+ sized server you can replace the passive coolers with active ones and turn down the static fans. More of a fiddling solution though. Go with if you want a "just werks".

>Where's the server? I'm already questioning what a server would need water cooling for, but more importantly where's the storage?

It's in the back like 10tb it's mostly for torrents and emby it's running Arch and an overclocked i7

Yeah the Gen 7 line is pretty sweet. Can easily run 5 3.5 drives w/Freenas booting from USB stick. Rock solid little boxes. Can stuff 6 - 10TB drives in them no problems. Very little noise output. Got two side by side running full blast and I can barely hear them (this is in a basement with nothing else running in backround)

Red pill me on rackmount server hardware. What's the point for a home server?

>J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX
anybody here using one of these? what are your consumptions?

Used hardware is cheap and more customizable than AIO solutions like synology.

I'm talking about desktop hardware vs. a 2U server. Especially in cases like it sounds incredible retarded.

keep unsubstantiated rumors to a minimum, you know what i'm talking about

Well then please fuck off
>What's the point of a coal grills?
Cook food
>No, no. Indoors! It sounds pretty retarded there.

Cam is gay?

Attached: ie2.jpg (1881x4147, 805K)

please don't bully people on my behalf

I doubt my switch does support it (I assume the product page would brag about it if it did) but I might try anyway. thanks guys