/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Use HWinfo, SIV, etc. not Speccy
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>i3 8100 - Bare minimum gaming
>R3 2200G/R5 2400G - If you aren't buying a GPU
>i5 8400 - Best value for gaming
>R5 2600/x - Good for multithreaded work
>i7 8700k/R7 2700x - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform OR wait for intel 9th gen (est. release November)
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>wait for RTX 2000 if you are rich
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Avoid Vega since Nvidia has sales now
>1070Ti/1080 /w a 75+ hz monitor
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>1080Ti medium/high settings
>2080Ti

Storage
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: 1535224924523.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/4HWn9J
powercolor.com/product?id=1521537060
ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Kwwmq
youtube.com/watch?v=utWnjA4NzSA
pastebin.com/5ZZHggvw
youtube.com/watch?v=6aDID5S41_A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pcpartpicker.com/list/4HWn9J
Opinions?

Attached: Durr.jpg (300x168, 7K)

That's just silly thinking.
Though remember ps3 was sold at a loss.
Its like how printers are cheaper than their parts because the ink is overpriced.

>MSI
>Powercolor
>XFX
Should I avoid any of them?

To think a couple months back the 1080 was selling for $300 more

Welcome to the wonderful world in which crypto exists

lmfao. You have no idea at all how computer components work.
They don't just put graphics cards off the shelf in them, retard.

at least in the past consoles have sometimes been sold below-cost with games sales being used to make up the difference

remember not to buy used cards

convince me not to do it

Your choice, fuck yourself over for all everyone cares

Fuck off namefag. Keep deluding yourself into thinking you will get 1080 performance in consoles when they currently run 4k 30fps just fine with dogshit gpus. Put your trip back on so I can filter you

1080ti for 600€, yes or no ? Feels like the price is ok but I'm not sure

you are giving money to miners

remove two letters and save yourself a few hundred

what if i was certain that it hasn't been used for mining?

you're not

is powercolor a meme?

but the seller says it hasn't

He's lying

depends on the model
>MSI
armor line have shitty heatsinks
>Powercolor
red dragon line looks like it has a shit heatsink
>XFX
good all around models

THE BEST THING TO DO RIGHT NOW IS GET A CHEAP/USED 1080TI
AMD CARDS CAN'T TOUCH IT
RTX 2080 IS A BIT SLOWER
RTX 2080TI COSTS WAY MORE ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE GETTING A USED 1080TI AND IT WON'T RUN MORE THAN 35% BETTER
JUST OC YOUR 1080TI LOL

cheers user

see also don't forget that until there's a good open source nvidia driver then nvidia isn't an option

they either make bare-bone models or over-engineer them like the golden sample rx580 so uh.. it depends on the model

I know a guy who deals in used cards and he always has both sorts of cards, mined or just used for gayming. Get a legit one and stop kvetching
I bought a used 1070 with 30 months of transferable warranty on it from my guy, for less than 40% of the current market price. Stay JUSTed

what do you make of this one? powercolor.com/product?id=1521537060

Hey Fellas, does Ryzen deserve all the hype it gets? I mostly want to do gaming and some light editing and music production.
Mostly looking at R5's and low tier R7's

ryzen is pretty good, i'd go with either a 3 2200g or a 5 2600 depending on your budget

dunno much about that model but the heatsink looks kinda small for a vega, also i have a feeling its loud since the fans are on the small side. i haven't being paying much attention to vegas since they were either unavailable or overpriced as fuck for a long time now.

thanks anyway user. I have no idea what I'm doing, haven't needed a new card for ages

If my CPU has 16 PCIe lanes, can I connect my GPU with 8 of them and use the other 8 to run two M.2 PCIe SSDs in RAID 0 for higher performance using an expansion card?

brainlet here,
my comp is ~8 years old and i’m running an i7 870 2.93ghz, an amd 7700HD and 16gb DDR3 ram. its a relic but it gets the job done
gaming on a 1080p monitor atm and looking to pick up a 4k monitor during sales
also thinking about upgrading cards atm to a GTX 1070-1080 before i inevitably upgrade my entire build (won’t be for at least a year or so). am i good to buy a new gpu now to use in my new build or would it be better to wait entirely til then? budget would most likely be ~1.3k, excluding monitor

Here is the build I'm planning to buy:
ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Kwwmq

Thanks for the reply

Sure

considering the prices of the 10-series vs the 20-series cards, how much should the GTX 2050 cost?

Fucking autoreply.

Sure, but that wont translate into performance gains in anything but really special usage scenarios

How well do 1060's do at 1440p?
Youtube isn't very helpful since most benchmarks are a tigh/ultra. I won't be playing ultra, mostly a mix of high and medium settings with stuff like depth of field and ambient occlusion disabled.
I'm considering getting a 75hz 1440p monitor for media consumption, some light gaymen as well.

Attached: snake.gif (160x200, 1.94M)

How much can I expect part prices to drop on Black Friday/Cyber Monday?
Wondering if I should spring for sales before then or wait

currently using a ryzen 2400g build because I didn't think I needed a gpu but now I want one for a bit extra power
should I get a rx480 and will it cross fire with the apu?

Amazon Canada has some SSD deals if it hasn't been already said.

Attached: ssd.jpg (1161x414, 262K)

Anyone have a recommendation for a good bang for your buck Monitor?

That makes sense; I figured it wouldn't make much of a real-world difference. Out of curiosity, what workloads would it be beneficial for?

1060 can barely handle 1080p on high, it'll cry at 1440p
get a 1080 or 1080ti used

>doesn't mention his resolution and hz and other needs
guess you need a shit panel to watch your animes, buy a

>8100
>8400
>8700k
its like they arent even trying to hide it anymore

>1080 or 1080ti used
I'd rather buy a new 1070 or 1070 ti at a heavy discount when 2070's release, famalam. I don't need the power of a 1080.

Someone talk me out of buying one of those Vega 64's on sale right now.

>borrow usb from someone to make a win10 usb
>forget to format it afterwards
cool just leaked my dick pics and ex's nudes
hopefully he just plugs it in and formats it straight away

Only if your chipset supports bifurcation to split that x16 into x8 and 2 x4, and your motherboard further has two x4 m.2 slots which is incredibly rare. Most are configured as x4 and x1.
Also this is assuming you're not retarded and meant NVMe, not m.2.

Why would you not get a Freesync monitor and an RX580? GCN cards have always scaled a bit better into higher resolutions, and with Freesync it'll handle not actually sticking at that framerate better.

There's been Vega56 for $400-$425. That's way better value for gaming.

I'm coming off a FX 8350 and want to go Intel for better gaymen FPS all around (1080, 1440 resolutions namely). However, I am concerned that the latest Coffee Lake processors are using ancient sockets. Combined with the higher cost to an AMD Ryzen 2600x, I'm wondering if going Intel this time will really be worth it or if I should stay in my AMD shit tier.

Kraken x62 AIO liquid cooler or Dark Rock PRO 4?

Does liquid always outperform air cooling?

Attached: darkrockpro4.jpg (1280x720, 96K)

Only overclockers need liquid cooling
get DRP 4

>Does liquid always outperform air cooling?
Only really big AIO liquid coolers and custom loops out perform top-end air cooling. Even then the big AIO coolers only out perform by a few degrees while also costing $50 more

You'll have quite a big bottleneck with the CPU. Like 50% were talking about. I don't think it would hurt for you to wait but I don't really have any advice in that regards sorry

Mad drone is mad

ASUS (and a few other companies) make cards that plug in to a PCIe slot and let you connect M.2 NVMe drives that way.

Alright Jow Forumsomies im doing a new build next week and i'd like your imput on something id like to try

Case is a fractal design define C, ATX version with no window. This case supports 3x 120mm front & 1x 120mm back. Cpu cooler is a noctua NHD15 with x2 120mm fans (note below) and gpu with a raijintek morpheus with 2 x 120mm fans, I want to make this shit as silent & cool as possible with air only. (Note: the NHD15 uses two 150 mm fans but lets change them for 120 for this project)

So that leaves us with 8 x 120 fans... as mentioned 4 will go in as case fans (3 front-1 back) & 4 as "heatsink" fans (2 on the gpu & 2 on cpu). All fans are noctuas, so the 4 case fans are the same airflow model & the 4 heatsink fans are the same static pressure model.

In comes the fan controller, a silverstone cp04 which can control up to 8 fans. So 8 fans, all at same speed, all controlled by speed fan.

OR

Hook up the 4 case fans to the fan controller and use splitters 2 on gpu and 2 on cpu to control both sets of fans separately with speedfan and afterburner.

What do you think?

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 6K)

Not him but if you're on a budget (and who isn't really) there isn't much reason to go intel right now unless you want 144 Hz gaming in certain titles. Ryzen probably makes a hell of a lot more sense for just about anyone out there starting out.

Since there all noctua fans I see no reason to just use a bunch of splitters and hook the fans up to your motherboard's fan headers and just use the motherboard's fan control assuming you have decent software control

>want to build a pc
>everything looks like a fucking toy for manchildren with all that leds and aggressive gaymer design

Attached: 12343456789.jpg (240x210, 5K)

I have PSU, Case, Monitor and SSD. I just need CPU, RAM Motherboard, GPU. Going to just do gaming on this computer and maybe some programming. Can someone put something together for me? Thanks

>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing,etc.
Gaming (mostly older games some newer ones)
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
N/A

youtube.com/watch?v=utWnjA4NzSA
is there literally single reason to buy newest cpu that needs ddr4?

Attached: garfield.jpg (800x596, 82K)

>fractal design
>phanteks
>cooler master
That's just cases, did you do 10 minutes of research?

>the 4 case fans are the same airflow model
The Define C has obstructed front intake AND a dust filter, you definitely don't want airflow fans there
>8 x 120 fans
Since you say you want to go silent, you should fit 140mm fans wherever possible. Larger fan means lower speeds which means lower noise.
Also, I have just been building inside a Meshify C yesterday, so I can take some measurements for you since I believe it can fit dual 140mm and also a single 120mm in the front.

WHY ARE FUCKING NVIDIA GPUS SO EXPENSIVE? HAD TO BUY A 1080 BECAUSE PAYING 800 EUROS FOR A 1080 TI IS INSANE
ALSO WHY ARE THERE NO THREAD RIPPER MICRO-ATX MOBOS? HAD TO BUY A SHITTY FEWCORE INTEL 8700K BECAUSE OF THAT
FUCK MY LIFE I JUST WANT TO RIP THREADS
SIEG HEIL

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 7.18.02 PM.png (1242x774, 620K)

>ALSO WHY ARE THERE NO THREAD RIPPER MICRO-ATX MOBOS?
Threadripper on a micro atx is a waste

>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
wow, so that's the result of letting a retard create a thread? I guess you must be specially retarded to believe you can see a difference between 60fps and 75fps kek

no u

are toy retarded?

yes. 500 to 600 is what you usually pay for a 1080 non-ti. a ti at 600 euros is a good deal. (if new. used it's meh)

>ALSO WHY ARE THERE NO THREAD RIPPER MICRO-ATX MOBOS?
?

Attached: gfdgg.jpg (409x506, 79K)

Sup /pcbg/. Recently I questioned myself if 4K was a meme, so I came up with a method to figure it out, and after I answered a post here on Jow Forums explaining that method, I thought it was a good idea to refine said post and dump it on pastebin so that it could be added on this generals' OP copypasta. I hope you find it helpful.

pastebin.com/5ZZHggvw

oh yes, better buy a new one and pay 100% more. that money then goes to the greedy nvidia-kikes.

buying mining cards is completely ok. if the miner had a bigger operation running and wasn't some nigger in his bedroom with 5 gpus. big miners tend to care for their equipment as it's an investment for them and they take good resale value into their calculations.
also why would you enable nvidia by buying their overpriced shit in a store? just say no to jewish tricks and buy used.

Attached: you_are_wrong.png (500x400, 234K)

>itx
fock off m8

>The Define C has obstructed front intake AND a dust filter, you definitely don't want airflow fans there

I'll keep that in mind friend, also the whole 120 over 140 is since there can be more 120s I can run then at lower speeds while moving a similar amount of airflow.

>amd threadripper
>posts intel board

my bad

Attached: X399M Taichi(L1).png (1200x1000, 341K)

serves you right for being so dumb, the Asrock mATX TR4 board is one of the best ones out there. Only one that offers three true x16 slots afair.

severe austism

What case fans do you fags use?

>I want make my PC silent
>I install 12 fans

Attached: 1364151590692.png (696x720, 423K)

How safe is it to have internal HDDs shipped? I always used to buy them at the store so I could carefully transport them home but now I live in the boonies and need to order online.

I was always under the impression that they could easily die in transit. How right/wrong am I?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 1.38.10 PM.png (263x202, 61K)

Do you think HDDs you buy at the store are carefully transported one at a time in some courier's personal bag?

Trying to help people to not waste money on blind purchases driven just by marketing, what an autistic concept, am I right Pajeet?

>get tons of low noise fans to run at slow speeds therefore moving the same amount of air as regular noisy fan while emitting almost zero noise

dumb anime poster

They're fucking fine in transit you sperg. They're only fragile when they're actually on. When off they're tough enough to survive at least most of what UPS can throw. If not, that's what RMA is for.

>get 12 x 20 db. fans to move same amount air as 4 x 25 db. fans
Anime poster was right.

the ones with the most LEDs

is it worth buying 4c/8t cpu in the current year or it will be soon obsolete because of ryzens?

Attached: anon.jpg (960x720, 117K)

youtube.com/watch?v=6aDID5S41_A

also

>what is speedfan

It's just a really drawn out way of explaining ppi. Considering 95% of people are going to buy either a 24" or a 27" monitor you could basically just say 24" 1080p monitors are ok to purchase and anything larger deserves 1440p. Very few people in these threads are considering purchasing 4K monitors because they're still a meme and have no high refresh rates available yet.

ive usually seen the stores stock their shelves from a box like pic related.

im just afraid of the shit dying after i finally copy all my data over to it because of some latent issue created by being thumped too hard. been building my own rigs for over 10 years now and ive always been paranoid about ordering a drive online but i want to get over that fear.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 1.45.47 PM.png (363x486, 304K)

You may be able to fit a 2400G build into that (with 8gb of decent ram - avoid

Is your porch a woodchipper? Literally every item you buy has been or will be shiped at one point. This is not an issue.

I'd say it's ok if you pay less than $150 for it. I'm writing this form my 60 dollar Pentium and it's strange to me how the top of the line model of the same generation simply had twice the cores and threads and costs 6 times as much.

follow up question... what kind of packaging do the drives arrive in when you order them online? is it the same as a shop where you just get a bare drive in an anti static bag or is it more than that?

That is much more realistic.
A chipset that supports bifurcation (AMD b*50, x*70, Intel z*70), and a board with two x16 slots which run at x8 each when the second slot is occupied is actually VERY common.

A big reason I went AMD for NAS is that b350 supported bifurcation whereas the sort of chipset boards you'd get for a Pentium do not so all the PCIe lanes get fucking wasted.

You're the one who is retarded if you think a very sizeable minority, if not a majority, can't see such a large difference as that.

Sexy board.

The way you'll reduce noise the most is with sound insulation and dampening, as well as using lower power parts, really.
12x 26dB fans is going to add up to more than 26dB.
You're missing the bigger thing which is that a smaller number of LARGE fans is better than a bunch of small fans. A single 200 fan will produce much less noise and cool much better than 4 120mm fans.
You go with 2 140mm fans in the front, and a single exhaust fan, and that's generally going to be very quiet and cool well unless the fans themselves are noisy and suck.
>jayz2shill
no pls

4c/8t will probably still be enough for 60-75fps for quite some time. But of course paying $300 for an i7-7700 would be mega retarded. But $200-$250 for a complete Haswell i7 workstation is still damn good.

>sound is easy, just multiply the decibels!

Attached: blet.png (586x578, 37K)

They come wrapped tightly in plastic bubble wrap or styrofoam.