/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

smol edition

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: smol edition.jpg (1024x768, 241K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.vimuser.org/littleleah.html
latextemplates.com/cat/essays
tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0
kubuntu.org/
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-x230-i5-3320M-Rare-3G-LTE-GOOD-Condition-i5-6GB-RAM-320G-HDD/173509967106
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's funny how these Thinkpad generals OPs have IBM thinkpads it's almost like people want to pretend today's chinkpads have anything at all to do with the IBM-era Thinkpads.

How far removed is the design? Old IBM stuff, keyboards especially have always felt really good to me.

T60. Using FreeBSD on it right now.
I bought it on Amazon

Completely different. Chinkpads are good because they're cheap 2nd hand.

Upgrading an x230 to an IPS display is basically just a straight plug-and-play swap, right? As long as I buy the correct size screen with the 40pin connector?

Are there any thinkpad cases or models that don't look so retro? I wanted to gift a laptop to my niece, it's her 10th birthday.

>inb4 just get some refurbished macbook
No, I want to install FOSS on it and basically keep it free as in freedom.

Attached: 1534994274211.jpg (545x615, 72K)

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314171406.jpg (1280x1280, 780K)

We both know you're going to remote activate the web-cam, you sick bastard.

I don't mind a model without camera too. If she wants a cam, she can buy it by herself later.
She'll probably stop using it after a week any way, but she has the alternative ready for use whenever she needs it. Right now other than tablet and smartphone she got no PC so her first will be this linux machine, hopefully it will make her friendly to the FOSS environment.

Attached: 1467084174526.png (581x720, 603K)

What's the best used thinkpad that I can upgrade the processor, RAM and storage on? Cost is not an issue

I'm asking for good hardware essentially. Which one has the best keyboard, ports, compatibility with linux, trackball/touchpad (yes I need touchpad)?

Attached: yum.jpg (1024x603, 57K)

Hey hi. I just bough my first thinkpad and I installed windows10 on it.

Never used Linux before, should I check? I want my thinkpad to study and use it for my phd with programs like SPSS and excell and word.

Where would you recommend to start with Linux? And should I install it despite im pretty confy on windows10? thank you

So, I have to return a """refurbished" thinkpad to a seller on ebay because it's far from refurbished
There's a minor crack in the plastic that I accidentally made when checking just how fucked up everything was inside because it made strange noises when I would turn it on.
Will the seller try catch on to it and how are ebay usually with these buyer-seller disputes? First time buying anything there.

blog.vimuser.org/littleleah.html

wtf i love libreboot now

The recommendation is always… buy with paypal and also on a trusted seller.

Explain the case perfectly if it gets flagged and pray.

And I'm assuming you've talked to the parents about it? It's ok user, from what I gather spying on children is ok with FOSS.

It was with paypal and the seller had thousands of positive feedbacks for dell optiplexes and a few thinkpads.

Stop with the trannyposting.

Attached: stop.jpg (225x224, 15K)

You can't use MS office on linux. Consider switching to LaTeX (it by far exceeds MS Word in every regard imo, especially for big projects), or keep using Windows, or use dualboot

>murdererposting against trannyposting
you're both degenerate

Go fuck yourself, bum.

You can use LibreOffice, there're also stand-alone Excel-like clones for GNU/Linux if you need more features than what the Calc program offers in LibreOffice (you probably won't need all the advanced features like the shit that Jow Forums uses).

Yeah I heard about latex, right no I dont have the time to start learning it, and I think it has a big learning curve (since im not programmer). But I will, and if it's better than word+mendeley then I'll switch.

This sounds retarded, since I'm an average IT guy with some knowledge in basic IT but… how do I dual boot and what should I use? I've read that I need a desktop. Is there any guide to newstarters on Linux.

Also, why should I change? Does it worth that much? What about excell?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314286459.jpg (1280x1280, 787K)

That's right, I almost only use Concatenate and icons to merge or instert things, not much more. It's just startistics but I use excell to support my statistic program.

What about filesharing? Would I have any problem with my colleages that use computers like they are microwaves? Or with file types like docx or similar that people are not able to run on doubleclick?

is the thinkpad t450 any good? (pls no ibm shills) what about the temperatures?

There's a lot of free Latex templates available. What do you use word processors for? Essays? latextemplates.com/cat/essays

I will concede it's annoying and time consuming to install all the packages though.

Another option is LibreOffice which I've never had a complaint about. Use it almost daily.

Latex is great because it's timeless. You will never have to worry if an older document is compatible with a newer program, for example. The formatting is superior to Microsoft and Libre word processors because you can actually format the document without screwing up other parts of the document (say you need to add a sentence or image, in Word/Libre it may break the page or do something funky). Andmost importantly, you get to feel like an esoteric nerd using it

>how do I dual boot and what should I use?
It depends on the distro. Every time I've installed linux for dual boot, I put it on a USB stick then access the bios, select to boot up on the USB. Then the installation process will start. It's very simple and there's a ton of guides on it.

tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0

If I remember correctly, you can export the files to different formats, there should be at least a format that Microsoft Office can read.

Just export as a pdf. Every pc has a pdf viewer

>Word
yes I use word for big documents. Right now I'm starting a PhD thesis and I use a lot of citations. I read PDF on mendeley since I have there all and I can create notes and take phrases, also is cloud supported.

About linux... I'll check those tutorials, since I don't even know what a "distro" is. Is the typical word that i've always listened and read but I never knew what it was.

Probably installing the most basic linux and start from there, knowing myself probably I will step up in a few months but whatever.

Just a last question... do you guys use linux as a daily OS? Does it worth that much or is just a personal choice but at the end of the day is not "that different/good" from windows?
Thank you for the advice.

They don't, but I know their gift is not a pc at least. They know I fix pcs for a living so they expect me to make a modern gift and I will, I don't have other young relatives and she always had a lot of respect for me, so I want to make something that respects her freedom, keeping the cost under 200 bucks, possibly.

Attached: 1436496333749.jpg (585x538, 112K)

You want her to love it? Buy packs of stickers with it. Decorate it with her.

>distro
Distro is abbreviation for distribution, linux distribution. Being open source, linux can be customized to your heart content, when people make custom linux and release it for the public, that's a linux distribution. They've different features or different looks, for different uses and users.

x220/230 with stickers of her choice
form factor is smol and cute, battery lasts and her freedom can be respected

Linux is far less intimidating than it looks. Especially a friendly distro like Kubuntu or Mint Cinnamon.
Oh, distro means distribution. For example, Windows 8 and Windows 10 are different distributions.

I don't have experience with Mint Cinnamon but Kubuntu is a solid distro if you have a laptop from the last 5 years. It can be downloaded here: kubuntu.org/ and use the installation I linked above. It has an installer so it should be as easy as a few clicks.

>Right now I'm starting a PhD thesis

Use what you are comfortable with for it. PhD theses are difficult so you'll want to use the program that makes it as smooth as possible for you. So you can use Word or the Libre version (they're basically the same functionally).

>do you guys use linux as a daily OS?

Yeah. I'm on Xubuntu right now. I use it for word documents, spreadsheets, internet browsing, occasional picture editing and almost daily programming (R and Matlab).

>Does it worth that much or is just a personal choice but at the end of the day is not "that different/good" from windows?

It's a lot different from windows.

Linux doesn't collect data from your computer and sell it to target ads/search engine results/etc at you.
It's generally more secure. As long as you aren't downloading sketchy documents, you won't need a privacy/anti-virus program (you won't get constant McAfee/Norton popup spam).
You have far more control over what programs you use. Windows requires a lot of programs that you can't turn off or uninstall. So that's going to eat up your space/RAM and possibly spam you with popups/updates.
On linux, you update software when you want to. You can customize how often you get notifications. And the notifications are less intrusive.
There are a ton of applications/progams for linux and most of them are free. Windows can't match the variety.

The only way is to try it and see if it works for your needs, bookmark fosshub, and sourceforge so you won't forget where to search when you need a program for linux.
Although the majority of linux distros have the marketplace program (kinda like google market on android) to find and download software, it's easy to miss the emerging or abandoned software (not every useful software is kept updated).
There is also a linux general here on Jow Forums that you should definitely check there you'll find a lot of informations.

What fuck shitty field are you in where they don't use markup languages for documents?
How the fuck can a PhD candidate not choose his own operating system?
what is going on with schools in america these days jesus

Battery life is important indeed, forgot about that. I guess I'll just look up tutorials for painting it (if it's possible, otherwise not), I got some experience with action figures that hopefully will come in handy, plus definitely stickers.

Of course, stickers will be a must.

A485 in the US, fucking when? ;_;

i need a cheap thin low weight laptop for business purposes for my mom
where would i find such things?
i saw some clearance tools for finding good deals here before can i also have links to those?

Hi,
im looking for a Thinkpad as I abused the t440s from work like fuck and I love its robustness
Budget is 300-700€
The t460s+ models look much nicer in a serious environment yet theyre likely less sturdy are they ?
I plan in traveling a lot

Attached: IMG_4771.jpg (254x349, 21K)

Are there any laptops with similar specs out?
I'd love to see how those APUs perform with proton.
Maybe one day I can have a riced out memepad that can also play shit like DMC5 and nier a tomato

Do 3G thinkpads still work or is it not worth it to buy one off ebay.

Would this one work in the US?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-x230-i5-3320M-Rare-3G-LTE-GOOD-Condition-i5-6GB-RAM-320G-HDD/173509967106

There's a Dell Lattitude that's very similar, but you have to actually call Dell to buy one, which is fucking stupid. I forgot the name of it, but just search Ryzen Dell Lattitude.

UwU how adorbz

She's so cute!

Just got T430 i5 3320M 1600x900 8GB 500GB after my R61 died. Nice machine desu.

All I need to do now is flush winshit and install debian.

Daily reminder

X60, t430, and t440s owner.

The old keyboards were good, but so are the new ones.

Anything older than t440 is too old for daily usage.

Anyone using t410 or older is larping as a hacker.

I loved the x60 and t430, but they aren't worth any amount of money in 2018.

Attached: 1535155554263.jpg (2660x4182, 1.15M)

Attached: IMG_20180812_235036_100.jpg (320x399, 29K)

anyone know what model is it?

Attached: 8d04f013094e4cd3cd7e8d594c8ddeb6cf41061c.jpg (1067x800, 92K)

That's an x240

>literally says 410 on the chassis

Attached: THlrKU6H_400x400.jpg (400x400, 24K)

never before have i seen a bigger faggot than thou

Attached: black guy laugh meme.gif (286x258, 2.39M)

Guess I'm larping as a hagger then

Attached: 2018-09-01-ds.png (2560x1024, 3.68M)

you can see the love in your eyes, kek

Attached: 1534884568711.png (706x746, 968K)

nice trackpad lol

Adults that watch anime should neck themselves.

Attached: 20180818_064718.jpg (1438x1836, 640K)

Thanks? Took 5 minutes.

What MODERN Laptop has the best build quality?

That faggot single handedly ruins the thread for me.

Attached: homer-simpson-bush-gif.gif (320x240, 365K)

T440p

You're so autistic that a couple of my posts ruin a thread for You?
Oh nooo the tpg is ruined. Lol

Go upstairs and cry to your mother.

he didn't even reference anyone in his post....
not everything is about you user, you're not that important

When I whip out my T540P and show my power level, how do I ascend beyond super thinkpad?

Just report, hide and move on.

Attached: dfci.png (636x616, 641K)

I was the only person posting at the time

Simple mental evaluation

That pedophile weeb was smack talking me

Most thinkpads will look quite businessy, being a business laptop, so I'd recommend a skin. Most thinkpads have a couple more cutesy looking skins on ebay. Getting it to look more friendly will have to all be in the decoration. I suppose you could even plastidip it.

Like this.

Attached: W701ds.jpg (1600x1380, 334K)

Mine can't do that! Darn

What day does /tpg/ use?
Surely even the most hardcore of think autist will admit that the integrated audio on memepads is trash

>What day does /tpg/ use?
Wednesday

DAC*

Monoprice Amp/DAC

DAC-X6

The integrated audio in new T480s is suprisingly good actually, I cannot really hear a difference between it and ALC1150 I have in my desktop which is plenty good for my needs.

price/link?
Are they any good?
My X201 has an insane amount of buzzing and hissing through the audio jack.
I wish someone made a higher quality, shieded audio daughterboard for the X200 and X201.

T420 or T430
Pic related.
Anywhere where I can get one with an IPS display already installed?

Attached: Screenshot_20180903-164645.png (720x1280, 237K)

Best place to buy cheap thinkpads in Europe? Ebay isn't exactly cheap because most of them are in the US of A

Local auction sites like gumtree or stores that specialize in post-lease hardware, I've seen some that offered business laptops at reasonable prices, but if you want to truly get a nice deal sniping auctions with lots of patience is the only way in my experience.

my x260 glitches out and crashes when i press down hard on the chassis on the left side under the left alt key next to the trackpoint buttons
the fuck is wrong

smsl m8

What's the best one that's still got the great keyboard?

Got my W510, apologies for the quality.
Thinking of installing Linux on it but not sure yet.

Attached: IMG_20180904_012841.jpg (4160x3120, 2.03M)

UK what are options at £300 vs £400?
Prefer screen toward 15in size or bigger and with better gpu/apu
Intended use as student laptop capable for some multimedia

new thinkpads still have the best keyboard that you can currently buy in a new laptop
if you seriously autistically desire the classic keyboard you can get it working on the xx30 series

Wire with bad insulation, cracked trace pulling apart or a cracked PCB allowing layers to touch

Thinkpad T25

Still waiting on my T440p to get here. Got an i5-4300m, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, and the dedicated GPU, with the 1600x900 panel for $280 burgerbux. Did I do alright? Also should I try for any upgrades besides swapping out the shitty touchpad and maybe trying to get an IPS panel for it?

Attached: Very_Smart_Cat.jpg (596x597, 53K)

;-; sad

Bought a ThinkPad again (used to own T430 until 2013), got an E480. Did I fuck up by betraying the T line?

Anything with similar specs like a discrete graphics for $800?

Keep us posted. I'm also thinking of upgrading from good ol' T420 to E480.

so what was that bios update I just got on my t430 and am I a retard for installing it?

Attached: 1487634374673.jpg (1200x1614, 739K)

You'd have to upgrade to T480/T480s which is more than 800$, I paid up for T480s but I think hatred towards E480 may be a little overblown.

Attached: 11626.jpg (491x282, 40K)

Holy fuck trapfaggot stop posting your shitty image everyone hates you and spamming yourself will only make it worse

Howimydoan?

Attached: 20180831_192906.jpg (4032x2268, 2.54M)

I’ve got a T61 laying around, can that libreboot too?

This kind of photo reeks of reddit user.

Thoughts on an X250?
My gen 1 xc1 died and I need something to replace it.
Sub 400$, 14" or less, 8GB ram minumum m.2 slot so I can use this SSD from the x1c.

Attached: haah.png (830x788, 576K)