Mechanical Keyboard Thread - /mkg/ - Thread for Keyboards and Keyboard Accessories

Riced out keyboards edition

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Use the buyer's template
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Group Buys
spreadsheet is ded
massdrop.com/
>Keyboard wiki
deskthority.net/wiki/Main_Page
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

P.T.

Attached: skYSJFg.jpg (4032x3024, 2.95M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XvelXWxL68w
youtu.be/Wa3DmRPo9XM?t=4m15s
aliexpress.com/item/Motospeed-CK98-RGB-Mechanical-Keyboard-for-Gaming-Kailh-BOX-Switch/32830262048.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Budget
Any
>Location (continent at least)
Europe
>Preferred switch type
Cherry MX clear
>Layout
ISO CRO
>Form factor
60-80
>Backlight
Something simple to be able to see at night would be enough
>Previous/current keyboards
Haven't had a mechanical keyboard yet, mostly shitty gaming keyboards like the g110

Attached: help helper hotline.jpg (1024x270, 47K)

>cheap SA plastic legos
>mounted on wobbly MX shit klacks

Attached: 10938747743.gif (580x326, 657K)

Attached: coupla lights.jpg (1800x1200, 899K)

At least it's not on Gaterons

Attached: wobble.webm (1920x1080, 826K)

>actually thinking Cherry has better quality than Gateron

Attached: laughinggirls.jpg (600x536, 77K)

>wobble.webm
This shit. You guys see this shit? Fucking shit!!

Attached: 24562445622.jpg (720x720, 60K)

pls halp

>facts hurt muh feefees
Face it Gateron is irrelevant now that kailh makes better switches and Cherry retooled their molds

Attached: varan.png (695x574, 563K)

KBD75

>iso
>european mystery-egg layout
hahahaha (I know the pain)

>hey let's take a keyboard that has the main selling point of being split, and make it not split!

80 as in 80 key or 80% (TKL)?

In any case perhaps you should consider the iGK61 for a 60%. It's hotswappable and I t hink programmable so you can make whatever layout you want. It also has RGB backlight.

Finally a guy sells Topre testers in my country with free shipping and not fucking $20 or something base price. Gonna get a normal 45g Topre key, but he also sells BKE testers for the same price. What weight is the one everyone keeps recommending?

BKE extremes or nothing at all

90g? Really?
I'm assuming it feels different to cherry style switches because even heavy as fuck navies not everyone can comfortably type on are only rated 80g

Give this a watch if you haven't already. He tends to prefer light/medium switches so you can kinda gauge it from there.

youtu.be/XvelXWxL68w

Cooler Master mechanical keyboards yes or no

ok

>that voice
woah

I'd fuck Thomas' voice

Really?

Attached: hqdefault (1).jpg (480x360, 15K)

Yeah. Just imagine that rich, smooth depth surrounding you

Forgot my image. Little PSA, this does not work on Windows 7 because Win7 does not support bluetooth 4.0

Attached: bt-500.jpg (955x637, 22K)

Attached: 8D61437A-E460-4216-908E-8B0AEA5D23AB.jpg (2905x2905, 1.36M)

unless something has changed recently cherry IS higher quality than gateron.

for a while (maybe even now) varmilo did not offer warranty for boards with gateron switches because they said gateron switches degraded quickly and it wasn't worth the rma costs.

from anecdotal experience, i've tried gateron blacks and browns and the blacks' weights were more inconsistent and i personally preferred the feel of cherry browns over the gateron ones.

cute

I really want that dwarven chest on massdrop right now, but on the other hand I simply can't justify throwing away $50 on a fucking keycap. Fucking jews with their resin

just make one yourself

>artisan keycaps

Attached: 1505521106976.jpg (219x249, 40K)

>social status
alpha male
>income
wood from the forest and 1000 rabbits i have to hunt down every 6 months
>Friends
none
>strength
i break pencils while writing a bill in front of mature woman (sometimes it actually works)
>current keybaord
some obscure cashier keyboard filled with wood chips

so what your recommendation

IBM 104 key 4704, it's 10lbs of cast zinc & steel.

It's not that heavy. It's closer to 8.5 lbs

That shit just looks retarded AF

youtu.be/Wa3DmRPo9XM?t=4m15s
>4.7kg
Which would put it slightly over 10lbs. Unless you're thinking of a different 4704 or something.

This is some next level sexism. Well done finding a new way to feel superior while actually not having done anything

You were talking about the cast zinc and steel not the whole keyboard

Attached: 1535270058751.jpg (838x638, 145K)

Its actually even lighter. The case and plate are exactly 7lbs, and if you add the PCB which isn't made of zinc or steel it's 8.8lbs all together

Attached: 20180903_203749.jpg (4032x3024, 3.65M)

Now weigh the fully assembled board.

Other people have already done that. It's like 10.3lbs with all the plastics. Mine is gonna weigh a bit more since I'm adding a solenoid. It's not assembled yet, but I'll weigh it after it's done

So, what's Jow Forums's thoughts on Alps SKCM Orange switches? Gonna be buying an AEK off a mate on Discord and I've never had a real alps board aside from one broken numpad that had SKBM White switches that I used as a desoldering project

They're the second most tactile switch that Alps ever made which automatically makes them better then any chink trash switches

What's the absolute most tactile switch then?
And what are they like if they're linearized or click modded?

>What's the absolute most tactile switch then?
Of ones that are readily accessible, box navy. Maybe BKE extreme if you don't mind glorified rubber dome boards.

I was referring to the ones that Alps Electric did. I have a Box Navy and Box Jade on my switch tester, they're not my cup of tea.

Browns

Oranges and Salmons are both great, I've got an AEK, AEK2 and ASK and they're all good boards. Only 2KRO though so don't use them for gaming.

>Only 2KRO though so don't use them for gaming.
So is my old Futaba MA switch keyboard and that still is fun to play Quake on.

My model m has 2kro and it works fine for gaymes. Heck the original Max Payne recommends a Model M

there is nothing sexists on that post you just got played, stop projecting.

>tfw typing on cherry mx switches

Attached: fadesfd.jpg (640x480, 52K)

On a Vortex Pok3r, can you open up the switch housing (MXcherries) without having to de-solder anything? IE how are they mounted

You can if you want to permanently break the switch, if you want to keep it you'll have to desolder it

Pretty certain the switchplate doesn't allow opening of switches without desoldering them first.

You're both correct. Thank you

Attached: Sexist.jpg (572x658, 77K)

Why aren't there any custom USB C to USB-A 3.0 cable makers?

I tried Cherry Reds but I felt they were too mushy and unsure that it registered unless I bottom out

Would Browns or Blues be better?

Anyone else here use or tried Kailh box whites?

My new keyboard just arrived, and boy. You have no idea what clickiness truly is until you hear the bing clicks on this.

Unfortunately I paid the price for buying chinkshit, and there's wobble beneath the board with one of the feet being too short. Need to slip an expired credit card beneath one of them to retain stability.

what chink keeb you get

Motospeed CK98

aliexpress.com/item/Motospeed-CK98-RGB-Mechanical-Keyboard-for-Gaming-Kailh-BOX-Switch/32830262048.html

I wanted RGB because I like to color-code my keys in Blender. Hopefully I can replace the caps sooner or later because I don't like the gamur font.

I have an Ergodox with box navies

Attached: F92098FA-4AF7-452C-A967-814C1F0A2B98.jpg (3024x4032, 2.81M)

Are they pre-fix navies? Have you noticed any stretching of those pbt dsa caps?

I've tried the low pro blues in the HAVIT. they are pretty sexy. the click bar is a definite game changer for solid tactility and crisp sound

i didn't notice any stretching in my modern beige set (pbt) on old box whites, but i've only re-tested a few keys with other cherry switches. i've had them on since march, but haven't really used much. pretty unfortunate as box clicky switches sound way way nicer than blues/blue clones (though i had to replace multiple switches that had chatter issues).

these issues with other switches that surface after a few months like the stretching with initial box switches, the supposed gateron degrading, and matias switches' keychatter are proof to me why cherry switches are the standard even if they don't have the best "feels".

Because no-one wants to hand solder 30 tiny wires lmao

Box jade is to box white what box white is to cherry blue.

I am on the same boat, looking for a full sized keyboard sporting clears on ISO-ES, I'm thinking of shelling for a WASD as so far it's the only alternative to a filco with browns I have found on an UK retailer, i'm concerned about the keycap quality tho as I've read about peole not being pleased with them.

Lots of Chinese children solder things they don't want to solder :")