/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read
→ →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4 (embed)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j (embed)
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt (embed)
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7 (embed)

old thread:

Attached: 33 crop.jpg (750x750, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bing.com/search?q=adorama 1021644
exam-labs.com/
amazon.com/dp/B00T5ME88Y/ref=twister_B07BC45H1X?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
amazon.com/Elements-Portable-External-Drive-WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN/dp/B06W55K9N6/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is 32" too much (1440p) for monitor 60-90cm away? Am considering
>32" HP Pavilion Gaming HDR ($500)
>27" BenQ GW2765HT ($320)
>27" BenQ PD2700Q ($400)
Also not sure if the BenQ PD is really better or if it's mostly just buzzwords, because spec-wise, they both seem similar. Advantage of the latter two is that I could run them from my iGPU (waiting to see what AMD drops next year).

Attached: 1415531984385.jpg (445x493, 48K)

I want to learn how data mining works and reverse engineering gaming consoles. Also looking to get into the nintendo switch hacking scene. where can i get info on this?

A non-empty array A consisting of N integers is given. The first covering prefix of array A is the smallest integer P such that 0≤P

why don't the developers of triple a games develop games for vulkan and with linux and android support?

I have regular i3 installed, how do I add gaps?

Basically, go through the array and whenever you see a value that you haven't seen yet, save the index. If you already have seen the value, move to the next one. The last such saved index is N.

>I want to learn how data mining works
Read the EULA
> and reverse engineering gaming consoles.
Learn what languages the consoles use. Machine programming would be most useful to learn at first.

Is there a way to edit ribbon resources in an exe? Resource Hacker just shows a hex dump for them.

Why doesnt F-droid show images for apps? Only regular f-droid repo and micro g repo are activated. I can't uninstall it because I'm running lineage os micro g and it comes pre installed there.

I have a torn ribbon cable (the thin plastic kind in small electronics) that I need to solder back together, but the heat of the solder just melts the whole thing away before I can even attempt to solder it.
Any ideas on how to fix it? They don't sell replacements of these

If the CPU is detected by the motherboard that does not necessarily mean that no pins are bent right? I currently have a mobo that won't detect the RAM what are the possible causes of this?

thinking of moving my PC from a full tower to mid tower

pros and cons?

reason why is to get better airflow nothing more or less , one non-reason just a personal thing is my case(phanteks enthoo pro) looks like a dinosaur to the newer cases out and the back panel got a small dent from moving it around once

I haven't had any luck myself but I've considered exposing the wire parts, clamping the ends together so they touch, and then heating the clamp hot enough to fuse the plastic together. No clue how well it could be made to work.

Install i3-gaps

It could still be a bent pin. You could also have bad RAM, or a bad board. Obviously try reseating the RAM first since that's stupid simple. Then remove and check the CPU. Try the RAM in another machine and/or try other RAM. Otherwise it's probably the board, in which case you either just use the remaining working slots or buy a new board.

who here works with IT? Do you think this high tide will go on for long? I'm thinking of going into it, but with how trendy it has become I'm afraid it might be a mistake
Most importantly, will remote jobs with decent pay continue being a thing?

Attached: 1535829006011.jpg (960x960, 934K)

>pic
Damn she would have been perfect like 5 years before the picture was taken.

Not a programmer, btw.
Would it be possible to create a decent multi-platform optical disc authoring software (aka disc "burning" software) using only C?

Is there a massive difference in how each OS handles discs?

It just seems weird to me that there's no complete multi-platform open-source program for such a thing even when optical discs are (sadly) quickly becoming obsolete tech nowadays.

Attached: IMG_20180807_132222.jpg (550x333, 26K)

Your full tower Phanteks should have great airflow. No one can see the back panel.

What do you mean by 'IT' and 'Remote Jobs'?
Most telecommunication/networking jobs overseas pay great if you are working for the government/military. Almost all of them are over six figures, and tax free, all expenses (food, lodging, gym) paid for.

You could. It would require separate code to communicate with the drive per OS, and presumably use a multiplatform GUI framework like GTK+ or Qt. (Qt doesn't have C bindings, you say? You can use C++ libraries from plain C if you're determined enough.)

>using only C
But..why?

>high tide
Does this mean new graduates who land a good IT job now are future boomers?

The effort of doing it so doesn't necessarily translate into enough money for them.
This rings true for both Android and Linux because:
- There's significantly more piracy on Android than on iOS
- Linux marketshare is laughable compared to that of Windows.

I'm aware those terms don't describe it very well, but since I know very little of the area I don't know better terms. I was thinking something along the lines of development, but like I said I know little of the market(and whenever I google it extremely generic descriptions appear), so I don't know if I'm correct to assume that you'll be a coder working in certain projects with an assigned team. I'm looking for a job that allows me to work remotely and pays decently whose requirements can be self taught, such as coding.
In my country a lot of people are interested in working for the government because of stability and the like, and you can work for a federal agency as their technology security guy for around 160k year. It offers no mobility though, you'll have to show up like a regular 9-5(in this case it's likely 8-6 or even longer).
It's very frustrating to research job and company descriptions in this market, it's always full of ambiguous bullshit that doesn't describe it at all, at most they'll say what languages they expect you to know
>we offer innovative solutions for management
This kind of description doesn't tell me anything about what I should expect out of it

Attached: 1535939162912.jpg (1022x759, 277K)

Attached: 8t7xgl64ree11.jpg (445x265, 22K)

Are TCL tv's actually good, or are they just getting shilled? Also if they're fine, is the 6 series worth the extra $200 over the 5 series?

It was just the word that came to my mind, not a burger. I mean countless outlets have hailed IT/software etc as THE field for over a decade now, I'm just wondering whether this doesn't mean it's close a saturation point.

Why is Jow Forums blocking me from posting if I use code tags but otherwise I can post anything on any board?

>I'm looking for a job that allows me to work remotely
You mean from home?
The terms you used are the very generic bullshit you are talking about. You want to code, network, admin, what?
You should get one of those generic jobs with ambiguous descriptions, it will help you figure out what you really want to do.

hiro dosent know how to sanitize posts so they have all these retarded restrictions in place

I forgot I had a PC World/Currys voucher for £200 and it expires soon. I don't really need anything, what do I get?

i need to buy a really specific laptop type along the lines of the np940x3g (ATIV Book 9 Plus). for a low price. where can i do that. any links?

Anything that resells well. Buy a $200bong GPU, don't open, sell on ebay for $200bong. You've converted a $200bong voucher into $200bong.

Attached: Ebina.jpg (1280x720, 245K)

Nice. Thanks man.

bing.com/search?q=adorama 1021644

I would need to get a degree in something like compsci first then, wouldn't I? It would be better to figure out what these jobs are really about before commiting myself to a degree in the area

What are some tips to help me get better at commenting?

Use comment describe a process that is hard to understand at a first glance, if this is for school use a comment to describe any large chunks of code + inline comments
Honestly, the most important thing is writing code that is easily readable

What do you want to do? Get one of those jobs that don't explain what they are, and figure out what you want to get a degree in first.

You are like a person that wants to be a doctor, but doesn't know what kind of doctor. Don't go through 8 years of school, and 2 years of internship, just to find out you don't like the 'job'.
Become a nurse, get into the hospital, and see for yourself what the different doctors do. Then become that of which you desire.

I've got an Android phone coming tomorrow, what is the best music player that also has a nice widget?

Attached: 1535388160243.png (250x241, 57K)

I don't know about widgets, but poweramp is ok.

>systemd by default kills background processes after the user logs out. 97e5530cf2, Debian#825394
>"In my view it was actually quite strange of UNIX that it by default let arbitrary user code stay around unrestricted after logout." -Poettering[6]

What exactly is wrong with this sentiment?

Just got an example here, I was looking at jobs in Dell because they have a factory near my town.
>Senior Software Engineer - IT
>The Software Engineering team delivers next-generation software application enhancements and new products for a changing world. Working at the cutting edge, we design and develop software for platforms, peripherals, applications and diagnostics — all with the most advanced technologies, tools, software engineering methodologies and the collaboration of internal and external partners.

This makes it sound like the kind of thing I mentioned before: you are assigned a team and a project and work with writing code, fixing bugs etc. This is a job description that is a bit more objective, because what I expect is "learn this and that language and get to it". But look at something like this other example

>Network Voice Operations Senior Analyst
>As a business operating at the leading edge of technology, Dell expects nothing less than excellence from our internal systems. IT Telecom Engineering play a vital role - operating, designing, planning and leading the implementation of global telecommunications systems. From data to voice to video, we provide technical guidance for solutions and prepare specifications for program implementation. Our broad remit spans modification, upgrade and network convergence, and we also monitor the operation of systems and the services of vendors.

Ok I get it, this job is basically about maintaining communication software, but where do I go to find out what doing that is like? I don't know what the day to day of someone who works like that is, and the only way to find out would be working in it for a while, which I can't.

Attached: 1535760693763.jpg (657x527, 49K)

But then I need to get nurse training just to go inside and take a peek at it. There are no summer break kind of jobs to which all you need is a high school diploma. Do you see where I'm coming from?

I'll follow this and try to avoid writing redundant things. It's mostly going to be for me to understand my own logic and probably no one else will see it

No, just get a fucking job. Lie your way into it, like everyone else does.

what is the source of this image?

>Lie your way into it
It's 2018 brother, employers want a copy of your degree and contact your educational institution

How do you download large instagram profiles?
The 3 tools i used are now useless cause of the API restrictions

how do i report a site that has completely no moderation so users post all kind of illegal content while also staying anonymous?

Work out where it is hosted (try whois) and then report it to some agency there.

>lie your way into it, like everyone else does.
That's not nepotism.

ok thx

Just dont go to the website you dont like. Simple

Based rustle poster

my job is requiring me to have a Security+ cert to get promoted. I'm already overqualified for this cert. do I study for it, or just use a braindump?

Yeah, fake it. You'll get the job, and after a month or so they will ask for confirmation. During your short time there you can decide what type of career appeals to you.

Take a practice test. Or take the real thing. It isn't that expensive. Entry level for a lot of positions. Certs are a money scheme like most degrees.

exam-labs.com/

I have a C++ server and pull a UUID from my database. What data type should I use to store the UUID? String?

Building a computer, I have two hard drives one for boot and one for storage. Does it matter which Sata ports I plug them into? I'm assuming it just ports 1&2?

You generally want the boot drive to be on port 1. Your BIOS can boot from either, and Linux can be installed on either. Windows tends to be a little pickier though and usually seems to want to put some boot dependencies on the first drive even when installing on a different one.

Learn coding languages before going for IT?

What video editing software do most youtubers and twitch fags use? Just looking for somthing decent for windows.

Attached: 1504214124217.jpg (1200x1730, 481K)

Sony Vega's seems popular, especially if you want to avoid Adobe products.

You choose it in the bios.
SATA ports start with 0. Bios may display it as 1.

>just give 'em a firm handshake son

Attached: boomers7.jpg (382x550, 60K)

Anyone working in tech knows that half the idiots here had to have lied to get the job. Most of them don't know what they fuck the buzzwords they spout off mean.

Was looking to buy an external drive from amazon and they have this style option of contemporary or classic. What does this even mean? When I click either of them I just get random pictures of the drive.

>Sony Vega's
hahaha, I should of said something that isnt full on retardly expensive.

My external HDD suddenly has extremely low write speeds and a response time of 15000+MS.

The drive has no SMART errors, so I can't figure out whats wrong.

its dying, back it up NOW

A link would help.

SMART doesn't always report correctly over USB.

It is a backup

My WD black started to freeze my windows after 7 years of use
Ended up not booting and i had to boot into a linux disk to recover my files, slowly
I think this guy is correct, I didnt have any smart errors at the time either

>A link would help.
amazon.com/dp/B00T5ME88Y/ref=twister_B07BC45H1X?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Adding on to this, I think I fixed it.

I emptied the external drives recycle bin and for some reason this made the write speeds fine.

>hahaha, I should of said something that isnt full on retardly expensive.
It's free here
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:90dc385c83e87280f7272d1b36885ace8b126ad2

>3TB Toshiba
No. Get this. Better price, better reliability.
amazon.com/Elements-Portable-External-Drive-WDBU6Y0020BBK-WESN/dp/B06W55K9N6/

Any US penny-pinchers here? What mobile plan do you have?

I don't need a lot of data, 1GB at most because my ISP has wifi hotspots everywhere. Looking to spend $10 or less in all.

I was looking at pic related which would be enough. However, do you think it's worth it to go data only and use a VoIP service? Can you recommend any cheap and reliable ones? In that case I could use it with Freedompop's 1GB/month for $4 which may be a better value.

Attached: 1535485185775.png (1000x1000, 315K)

thank you user
is this website good in general?

Look at Ting.com

Yes, they're a huge shopping center in NYC.

How do you even make a Programming language? That seems too abstract for me.
Also.
What method do the Chromebooks use to run Android applications? Aren't they running a Gentoo based distro? Can be this implemented in other distros?

Attached: cb78c806f23e720be0d4ccc9cd4068b1cec4807d59ba441c3914f0ed9ae67ac3.png (720x540, 608K)

How can I torrent shit from TPB without being fucked by my ISP or copyrights (Sony and shit, I live in shithole Canada where pirates are criminals)?

Obviously the easiest way is to use a VPN which I know, but I'm hesitant to shell out money if there are free alternatives (and no shit like tunnelbear which is rate-limited). Do I just bite the bullet and try to figure out private trackers? Can I just disable seeding/uploading torrents and be fine?

Attached: 1503817019464.png (500x507, 323K)

>How can I torrent shit from TPB without being fucked by my ISP
Use public wifi. I torrent at work on a spare phone.

lmao. I would consider it but im too retarded to get around the fact that most sites are blocked. Also, my phone only has about 3gb of space (even though its advertised as 32..) so it's inconvenient unless im torrenting really small shit. Also, I have really good internet speed at home.

Doesn't matter if the sites are blocked, that's not how torrents work. Buy a rPi and a larger SD card. Configure it at home. Put it in a drawer at work. Take it home at the end of the day to check progress, or just leave it there for a week. It's pretty easy to discretely route a USB cable to it for power, and just cover it with paper or whatever.

oh fuck, forgot I could just copy+paste the magnets beforehand. Still doesn't solve the issue of me being a jew and not wanting to spend money if possible - I'd rather just subscribe to a VPN vs all the tedium that comes with buying a Pi and trying to figure that out, buying an SD card, and trying to get a place that has good enough internet (most shitty minimum wage jobs that I can work while in school dont offer wifi for employees). Thanks for the suggestions though, just not a solution im keen on.

What is an open source database system I could use that is not pirated-Access or Apache?

Are sql-servers hard/practical to implement on the home-network level?

I was listening to a podcast about Silk Road. The host said Ross Ulbricht partitioned his hard drive and used one part for his Silk Road shenanigans and the other part for his legitimate dealings. What’s the point? If the computer was compromised wouldn’t the whole thing be compromised?

Should i look for a BCH or LDPC SSD?

If I was to charge to build computers how much should I charge?

Sometimes I fix shit on Gumtree for about 30USD an hour. My local PC shops overcharge tho, and I think I could do a better job.

Anyone who does freelance tech support/hardware construction how much do you charge?

Attached: xf22or9s62911.jpg (2676x4036, 835K)

Help lads

Trying to convert a .ts to .mp4 on VLC, yet each time I convert the video is completely missing. I've gone over the encapsulation and video tabs, which ensure "keep original video track" is selected, yet just nothing but the audio once the conversion is finished. Am I just retarded or should I look elsewhere to convert .ts to .mp4?

cute drawing of me

Did a factory reset on my old Samsung tablet... Now my wifi disconnects and reconnects every minute or so... Can't figure out what to do

how do i hide my firefox scrollbar in the css

Anyone know of a half decent FTP client for android? Everything I've tried has problems resuming or retrying after the connection drops for a bit.

How would I make a scoreboard graphic for a sports game in DaVinci Resolve?
Where would I start looking to learn it?
I want to learn to do similar editing to what they do for professional football games i.e. replays, highlights, scoreboards ect

Attached: 36019_1513436109_scr.jpg (800x500, 64K)

Is there a webm optimizer such as there is optipng, jpgoptim and gifopti?

Any good tools out there for stripping down services/tools/apps in Windows 10?

Attached: scr.png (669x540, 56K)