So considering that I have a few GB of thoughts, ideas...

So considering that I have a few GB of thoughts, ideas, projects and personall stuff in txt files and these fucking microdick fuckers are pulling the last straws by making notepad ***connected to cloud***, what is the best open source program to replace it?
It would be perfect if I could convert all my txts at once into whatever that program's main extension is.
Or is my best bet just turning off updates to avoid it? I don't think there is a reason to target my pc using a patched vulnerability.

I want to switch to linux in the near future but I can't do it right now for a while. Can't fucking wait though.

Attached: no.png (720x769, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notepad-plus-plus.org/
thestarman.pcministry.com/tool/pfe/PFE32.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I already have a notepad clone I made in C#. I can give the source if you want it.

You could just save an old copy of Notepad.exe
You shouldn't need to do anything drastic like attempting to block updates just to use one standalone program.

Just copy notepad.exe out of C:\Windows before they delete it. I suggest renaming it to something other than notepad because Windows Update deleted my XP-version mspaint.exe out of my user directory in the past, but stopped doing it when I changed it to mspaint_xp.exe.

1 - install GNU/Linux.
2 - install Gedit.
3 - prevent MicroDick from profiting?

Just use Notepad++. It's plus one to Notepad.

Notapad++, free and open source:
notepad-plus-plus.org/

I recommend nano

The beauty of Notepad is it's tiny and doesn't need any of the .NET stuff or even many DLLs at all. This makes it able to load up quickly even when the disk is thrashing pretty badly.

Gedit fails at this. So does gvim. So does Notepad++. All are much larger and more complex programs that take up more RAM and require more libraries to load.

a personal wiki is the answer
as a bonus it's easy to put online if you ever need to

Leafpad for GNU/Linux
Metapad for Windows

Attached: lel3.jpg (485x700, 71K)

and write to batch to copy it back again every restart. MS will still win eventually tho.
idk, Notepad is actually a useless POS, loses files by crash, etc. But, its snappy, no-bollox and just werks. Which is a near fucking miracle for a Microsoft product these days. ++ is clumsy in comparison.

You seriously have gigabytes of ideas in plain text? When did you start writing them?

Attached: crackhead2.jpg (185x180, 6K)

Harden the fuck up mate and learn vim.

Laverna

>Windows
Notepad++

>Linux
Notepadqq

Notepad2 or its forks.

PFE32. It's tiny like Notepad but with more features.
thestarman.pcministry.com/tool/pfe/PFE32.htm

Vim or Gedit.

Modal editor . . .

Attached: IMG_-befwl.jpg (600x200, 51K)

Okay maybe I exaggerated a little bit.

a piece of paper

>not using windows 7
Fucking retard

I use wxMEdit for everything, it's like Notepad++ but better. Never gone back to notepad.

Who spells bollocks like that?

>making notepad ***connected to cloud***
Source?

There's absolutely no reason to do this except to steal everyone's data

its shorthand. Op should learn it, could then fit + carry his lifeswerk around on a novelty 4GB USB dildo.
>convert all my txts at once
christ, no, dont do that. .txt is universal, simple and non-propietary ( ? maybe). It is The Universal Format. Aliens can read your shit after your extincted. .txt is good.

>I want to switch to linux in the near future but I can't do it right now for a while. Can't fucking wait though.
What is stopping you?

That wasn't what he asked, you fucking mongoloid

Any text editor.

Just use nano

autism.txt

>Windows 10
that alone is source enough

Every key Stephen you type in Windows is already in their storage.
All those faggot txts you have are public domain at Microsoft.
So yeah.

Attached: 1481240484537.jpg (300x300, 50K)

Lipton?
What a fucking savage.

Fucking autocorrect
>keystrokes

>not using nano

Attached: 1530313656416.jpg (664x440, 486K)

>++ is clumsy
I bet you don't even have DDR3 memory lmao

Unless you need to open a file bigger than a few kb. Then Notepad shits itself due to loading all file content to ram.

Just buy UltraEdit or 010Editor.

Everything on you hard drive(s) is accessable by MS. It's all covered by the EULA you didn't read.
MS are operating under the understanding that the EULA is legal and enforcable. You disagreeing doesn't change anything.

>Lipton?
>What a fucking savage.
He's only a frrog, ffs. What did you expect?

txt files are just plaintext in a universally standard encoding you idiot you don’t need to convert them just get literally any other text editor
how the fucking fuck did you even stand using noteshit all this time it has no features

It DOES send your keystrokes to Microsoft if you don't disable the typing privacy setting.

I have opened multi-megabyte files in Notepad. It is significantly slower than a competently written editor, but does the job unlike old versions that maxed out at 32 KB. Still, it's an excellent program for making quick notes or editing configs when the computer is freaking out.

NANO
A
N
O

Attached: 1535431768780.gif (480x270, 236K)

>So does Notepad++
I stick to Notepad++ because i actually have to work with multiple text files in the order of GB, so far it's the only text editor which doesn't shit the bed and stays performant with multiple big files

google windows 10 new update

What in high hell are you doing with multiple GB text files?

why do i want to bust in and beat the shit out of her so bad?

TED Notepad
Pretty much an objective improvement over Notepad

Over here, some legacy systems of the state output all the existing companies and commercial contracts to plain text files

how long do you expect to stay with a soon to be discontinued product that was shit to begin with?

No idea, can you run Wine or ReactOS notepad on Windows? Try that and see how it goes.

Until Microsoft makes one that's better than it, I will have no reason to downgrade.

Notepad++ as others have mentioned.
The best parts about it are it has tabs and you don't even need to save anything, it'll reload unsaved tabs after you close.

Emacs with CUA keys

can you read?

Use Zim. A small Desktop Wiki. Content will be saved in textfiles

What are your arguments for not using Win7 or win10 ltsb?. Those version doesn't have this kind of problems.

Can you? XP has been discontinued for years but still works fine. Just uninstall the update that nags about EOL, avoid malware, and it's fine. I still wouldn't use XP as a daily driver because it lacks support for a bunch of more modern stuff.

Same with 7 eventually but that time hasn't come yet. It's a pain to get it onto some new hardware but once you do it works fine.

Get notepad++

Windows software sucks

Wait, Notepad changed in Windows 10? I'm about to buy it for gaming and that might be a dealbreaker.

tell me then how you missed this:

>"product that was shit to begin with"

then tell me why your brain can't comprehend how shit your waifu is

Why the fuck would you buy ten for gaming?
I'm on 7 with sp1 playing games at 1440p @144hz just fine with no bullshit running in the background
I've only heard negative things about ten

>until Microsoft makes one better than it
Windows was never good, but 10 is objectively shittier than 7. So as I said before, why downgrade?

no shit, clearly you didn't get that im implying there's no reason to be using windows 7... or windows at all for that matter...

and instead you think i actually wanted a reason why you use windows

so i guess you can read, you just can't infer

>notepad requiring cloud

Just fucking install Linux now and get it over with, or else you're gonna need an internet connection to boot before you know it. Fuck Microsoft.

Attached: hon hon hon faggot.jpg (377x567, 19K)

There are plenty of reasons I might need Windows -- games, proprietary programs, hardware they only works with Windows.

>vm windows 7 if absolutely cuking needed
>wine for literally everything else
>don't use gay ass windows only hardware
unless you work for a company that requires it, there's virtually no reason to use any form of vanilla windows

this guy gets it

Gedichte even runs on windows nowadays

Could someone actually explain what OP meant by
>connected to cloud

The only two things that come to my mind are the "search with bing" thingy, which you can simply opt to not use, and Sets, which also affects explorer and cmd, so you might as well install linux if it bothers you.

write your own lmao

connect to cloud, as in upload all notepad/.txt files to the cloud

>one drive motherfucker

as if you can expect Jow Forums to have code literate people

I never signed in to onedrive. Checkmate

>implying that matters to ms

With Bing integration they mean the ability to search selected text on Bing via the context menu. You can simply not use it. Either way, if you’re searching for a replacement, Metapad is pretty nice. It’s basically the same as Notepad but handles large files better and has multiple undo buffers.

On average, things are fine?

Attached: desktop + screenfetch.png (1280x1024, 1.33M)

Install notepad2-mod. Remove the regular notepad's executable.

>Not using Notepad++
You're doing it very wrong

>>don't use gay ass windows only hardware
easy for you to say faggot dumbass neet commie

Use Scite
>Based Scintilla is Based

Attached: 1533603193897.jpg (2399x1279, 335K)

>>don't use gay ass windows only hardware
Sometimes there is no viable alternative, or the alternative costs thousands.

>best open source program to replace it?
Tiddlywiki.

A single file, can be in the cloud or on your USB stick. Easily organised. Can be shared.

notepad2/metapad>notepad++

Ctrl+o, enter, ctrl+x

geany or mousepad shits on them.

as long as I can.
>shit to begin with
yeah, nah

>""Notepad++""
>system crashes
>file is overwritten with NULLs
Don't fall for it

notepad++, good stuff

stop use wangblows 10

7 hours later and I realize this is the wrong thread

Nano
Notepad++
Gedit
GVim
Neovim

>not using vim

Attached: besteditor.png (1022x1024, 90K)

>microsoft shoots themselves in the foot again
what surprise

I'd never willingly use that shit. It happened on 7 after a power failure.