Steam MACHINE

What went wrong Jow Forums?

Attached: 1516713056959.png (625x352, 258K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shop/
youtube.com/watch?v=Brqurr3n-8I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

SteamOS.

Ubuntu is better..

No support at all from Valve.
No marketing.
Most games were still Windows only
More expensive than just building a decent PC
Controller was massively overpriced and doesn't actually work that well.

Gabe should subsidize them, sell them at a loss. Make it cheaper to buy a "Steam Machine" than any other custom PC or prebuilt, but lock it down.

Make it a pain in the ass to try installing Windows on it. Make it so starting up the Steam Machine always takes you to the Steam Store front page to entice people to buy games (making back the money loss and then some)

backwards compatibility

thats a bad thing? Sense when is that a bad thing?

Pricepoint and lack of major AAA releases (not counting games that were ported after their initial release) I would guess.

If we think about the problem the steam machine was trying to solve (the problem being a budget gaming system) there are basically two things a consumer can do.

You can spend no more than ~$400 and purchase a console that you know will absolutely work all the time with any game you purchase for the system or you can spend around the same amount and buy a PC that may be able to play most games on decent settings.

Now here's the rub, when you buy a gaming PC you expect that you can do a lot of extra things with it. You expect you can browse the internet, plug in your camera to download pictures, watch netflix with the family, etc. These are activities that can be only described as "possible at best" in the context of a steam machine and "not going to happen" at worst.

So if you want to play video games and don't want to spend a lot of money, you can buy a console that always works or cheap gaming PC that will probably always work (may have to tweak graphics fidelity to achieve sufficient framerates).

Now if the option on the PC gaming side is between an already built windows PC or a steam machine, with the same specs, why would anyone ever buy the steam machine? It makes no sense. It doesn't play all the games a regular windows PC or console can play, and it certainly wont do everything a windows PC will be capable of doing.

The only possible way I saw the steam machines being capable of competing was on price and they weren't capable of that either.

It was nice idea in principle but it just doesn't play out in the real world. People go with the lowest common denominator, they go with what works and whats simple. The path of least resistance. Steam machines were a highly resistive path that not even dedicated gaben fans were willing to forge ahead on.

Reddit

The

I dont reddit someone just copypaste if you really want to.

I heard that the controller is kino though

Why don't you go ask fucking /v/ since this is a /v/ related topic you fucking imbecile.

Stop spamming this board with video games.

people would rather play their PC games at their PC

Steam Link has made it totally obsolete

That reminds me:
My step brother did buy the steam link and the steam controller, I tried that thing out, holy shit it's annoying, just buy a mini xbox controller or a Switch Pro controller.

You would prefer that he wrote that all as a single paragraph in one giant block of text?

For one, the steam link has the latency of the federal post office during the civil war. Two, how do you make obsolescence obsolete, faggot?

i think you may have misinterpreted what he was implying.

allow me to re-phrase in order to illustrate what i believe may have been the sentiment of his commentary:

>>Reddit: The Post

wait did i just get trolled

>block of text

You mean a paragraph?

Windows is oddly well optimized for gaming.

Also, shit Linux drivers from nVidia and AMD.

nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shop/

Thoughts?

He means, nicely organized, or at least what I think he means. I have seen a text wall wall where people don't edit their shit and just type away.

I commonly will do something similar to what he posted only because it's easier on my eyes.

Nothing. It's just pre-built computers. Just like MiniPCs (ataribox, NUC, etc.), or any regular builds. They don't have to kick off or have more than 10k users. Not to mention that steam machines were just valve's way of testing the market. They didn't make any steam machines themselves, they just made the OS and made it accessible to other companies (just like google and android). So it was companies like alienware that failed to sell anything. SteamOS itself is still being worked on and isn't abandoned, and valve will most likely start shipping their own actual steam machines when they're ready. Although they don't even have to, they have never been a hardware company. They're more likely to partner up with another company.
It was not meant to succeed immediately. It's meant to make some impact, awareness, and then grow. Look at SteamOS now. Valve has worked with AMD, Vulkan and Wine devs, dxvk and made games playable on Linux (and by extension, SteamOS). It's very likely to be a fully viable alternative to windows gaming by the end of next year.

Basically, ataribox. Valve shouldn't make their own steam machine yet. They should wait for at least 95% of their store's titles to be compatible. And they definitely shouldn't lock it down. Anything can be cracked, especially steam machine since they're basically desktop computers. Adding useless DRM is a waste of time. They should just make slightly customized and improved hardware and make amazing drivers for it so it outperforms any computer in performance/cost and performance/power consumption.

>Switch Pro controller.
Got one of these. Best controller ever made. Too bad the left analog is reversed (up-down) on Linux. I have the source code of the driver setup but I'm too lazy to compile it with a fix.

You're parroting shit from 10 years ago. AMD's RX and Vega perform better in Linux, nVidia drivers almost always perform the same on both OSs.

I just use this little thing called steamlink in my house. I bought 4 of them for $2.50 each when they had the summer sale. Why waste the power and money on something like that.

>got a pro controller
it's so comfy. Nintendo are smurt

A steam linux distro.

The rumble is loud as fuck and the whole thing is a bit too clicky, but it's decent enough.

Almost no games supporting SteamOS really killed it. There were dozens of promised games but most of them canceled their linux compatible versions. Now with SteamPlay/Proton if it actually works they could have a chance

>These are activities that can be only described as "possible at best" in the context of a steam machine and "not going to happen" at worst.
There was a fork of SteamOS that had all that bloat installed already, I forgot what it was called. Something like that should have been the default.

I got one of these Alienware fucks when Gamestop had them on sale last year near Christmas time. I threw in a spare hard drive and laptop RAM I had lying around, and installed Windows on it since at the time Proton wasn't a thing and Nvidia drivers and GNU/Linux go together like oil and water. It's pretty good for the ~$150 I paid for it. It was small enough that I could throw it in a suitcase and take it with me on vacation to go have a little LAN thing with the boys too. I probably wouldn't pay what it retailed for, but considering I got it for a song, it gets a solid 10/10 from me.

Attached: 1520542390930.png (614x612, 367K)

They tried to solve the hardware problem before they fixed the software one. Kinda like VR too.

>Now here's the rub, when you buy a gaming PC you expect that you can do a lot of extra things with it. You expect you can browse the internet, plug in your camera to download pictures, watch netflix with the family, etc. These are activities that can be only described as "possible at best" in the context of a steam machine and "not going to happen" at worst.
Which of those tasks can't be done? It's just a Linux distro with Steam pre-installed.

Shit specs
No support
At least vr might be OK but the steambox was a dumb idea
Ain't they making their own wine fork just for gaming?

The controller has like a billion problems with it.

Redundancy and price.

No shipping to my country

Attached: 1536019942950.png (379x205, 19K)

you're not missing out on anything

>You would prefer that he wrote that all as a single paragraph in one giant block of text?

People who complain about "Reddit spacing" are retards.

Attached: mmmm-grayons-31350775.png (500x533, 66K)

that thing is a total piece of shit. i should know i work on em.

fuck talk about a clusterfuck in design. 1 sata port 1 usb port (inside bottom) 1 m.2 slot. HDMI out only along with HDMI in (why??)

right now their cmos batteries are dying. if they don't die to a bios update from dell.

Note: i mean inside useable for system config. 2 front 2 rear usb ports for other stuff. i guess they expect you to use a usb internal port for a 3rd hdd (while you are using the m.2 as well.)

also only 1 memory slot available.

why/how did you work on them? fixing them?

>why/how did you work on them? fixing them?
I work at the NA dell Repair center (i work for the company that has a contract with dell to repair their machines.)

why do dells get so hot? every dell machine I've owned gets hot enough to brew tea

>why do dells get so hot? every dell machine I've owned gets hot enough to brew tea

because they basically come with the stock intel cooler. (well it's a dell branded one) don't expect better. also most machines have a rear fan .. the "Vmax" have a top fan.

only a few machines get a water cooler/pump. mostly alienwares.

we see so many AMD chips totaly dead and mb needs to be replaced as well bc of overheating just killing the cpu and the socket.

whenver i see one dumped on my rack i'm like well .. unless otherwise stated.. mb/cpu replacement.

ama

that sounds like a pain in the ass.

Paragraph is 3 - 5 sentences. You know that, right? Fuck off with the reddit spacing meme. It's much easier to read several moderately sized blocks of text instead of one giant one. Learn2English.

it was never sold on steam using steam bucks, it was only available on third party sites

Valve's fork of Wine is going to really shake things up, especially for SteamOS. Looking forward to it.

SteamOS is not low-end friendly. Also web browser sucks.

Attached: P_20180829_232858.jpg (4160x2352, 2.56M)

it is..

the all in ones are the worst to work on.

the average dell desktop purchaser (i only work on desktops. other section works on laptops) does not realize that they need to blow out their shit every so often. fuck the tech gore i see on a daily basis.

last machine i opened had dead roaches in it. i opened it .. looked and said nope .. BER (beyond economic repair) talked to call center they came by took picutres and now it's on hold to send back. i'm not touching that thing. (it was also dirty).

i had an all in one 27" dropped on me that was missing 90% of ti's screws. and 1/2 it's parts. customer wanted it fixed because it was a very important machine, and demanded we not format his drive because of important data)

i denied the repair. (alot of stuff was in ziplock bags) mlb had broken off memory slot and no memory in any of the bags. also had some capacitors broken off. lcd was questionable.

again BER .. nope not getting fixed.

you would be surprised how often people send in machines that can't be fixed and litteraly have to have their pc rebuilt from the ground up.

1/2

I played TF2 with the Steam Controller and got my shit pushed back in.

Attached: 1535402440889.png (660x720, 317K)

2/2

i remeber one machine (INSPIRON) amd.

he put in his own water cooler (cpu only), his own video card (gtx 1070) his own ram 4x Gskill 8 gig. ssd (250 gig evo) .. he sent it in complainign it din't start up.

i opened it up .. .i was like well shit..
1. water resivor was loose and was banging arround. hose / tubing was broken and leaked everywhere during shipping. rear fan was loose bouncing arround.

i totaled it.. no way .. cs said no physical damage requote him on everything. i said ok..

so i requoted him on the whole machine from the ground up (minus the case and side. every piece of hardware (even the switch).

THE MADMAN PAID FOR IT.

i was like WTF seriously???? ok .. spent an hour gutting and rebuilding the machine.

ALSO STOCK.. no air cooled not water.. stock hdd.. stock ram and shitty video card.

>What went wrong Jow Forums?
Nothing, it served its purpose of acting as a thorn in Microsoft's side when they were trying to kill off win32 and turn Windows 10 into an Apple style walled garden.

As an actual gaming platform, it sucked since it managed to nogaems harder than the PS3. Let's see if Proton fixes that.

Attached: 1420177771641.gif (500x334, 982K)

I use a R1 Steam Machine with a i7-4790T, 16gb of ram, and a ssd, shit plays csgo at like 250fps, at 120hz. I got it for $300 on Black Friday like 5 years ago

The fact that most games are for Windows still.

I don't know, the assembly video they made was pretty cool. Big robot assembly cells. Pretty neat.

It didn't ship day 1 with Proton

Attached: 1531644046918.jpg (777x704, 57K)

No games. It's like XBone but worse

>gamestop had them on sale for $150

fuck I missed out

>Paragraph is 3 - 5 sentences. You know that, right? Fuck off with the reddit spacing meme.
This quote is a paragraph then? Kill yourself. Open a real book sometime, kid.

too expensive, mediocre hardware and no gaymes. if it launched with proton, a $400 base price for a low end model, and included a free copy of a AAA game it might've sold pretty well.

>playing an fps game with a controller
lel

>Linux ¨games¨
>retarded controller

>I..i...itll work this time you just wait and see... this is the year of Linux and Valve is going to destroy consolebabies i swear.

>typical desktop PC you could buy anywhere
>but this time, there is a Steam sticker on it!

>You're parroting shit from 10 years ago. AMD's RX and Vega perform better in Linux, nVidia drivers almost always perform the same on both OSs
Yeah, but Steam Machines were released back when both amd and nvidia drivers were shit.

I wouldn't know when they were released because nobody advertised them or talked about them until they failed.

The steam controller? My big problem with it is the touch pads on it suck - often I end up moving too quickly or too far and it makes that annoying grinding sound to go along with it. Followed closely with the buttons on the handles which I keep accidentally pressing.

I have one of the i7 6700t gtx960 ones, i also have the graphics adaptor box with a 1080 in it. I just put windows on the fucking thing, maxed out the ram and put some beefy ssds in it.

I use it as a VR rig in a spare room that just has a couch in it, works reall well.

Too much steam, not enough machine

Divide

&

Conquer

Tactic

the 2nd gen was a huge improvement, the egpu slot is a pcie version not usb 3/thunderbolt, so whilst its not plug and play, its full speed, so you dont lose anything on the performnce of the hardware.

>i7 6700t @ 3.6ghz
>16gb ddr4
>256gb m2 ssd
>1tb 2.5 ssd
>internal gtx 960 (disabled)
>external gtx 1080 in gpu box
>9 usb ports between unit and gpu box
>htc vive (non pro)

Its still pretty respectable spec wise outside of the cpu, i think the slot type and small form factor limits you to a standard non k 6700@ 3.8ghz though.

I have a small spare VR room with it as the primary computer. 3m x 3m space and a couch.

Yeah my pretty much maxed out gen 2 i7 gtx1080 vr rig is like 3 years old at this point.

opengl

>one of the worst looking controllers in existence
>one of the worst looking cases in existence
>markup is no different than just buying a Best Buy machine

Attached: 1505676005148.jpg (493x449, 43K)

>Uses actual plabbit spacing.
Kek yourself.

>touchpads
no

no and get cancer

That's not reddit spacing, that's original Jow Forums spacing that was uniformly used on the site before reddit even existed. Learn to use English.

youtube.com/watch?v=Brqurr3n-8I

why didn't the chucklefucks at valve release steam machines and steamos AFTER proton was finished?

Attached: even i know this is retarded.jpg (500x514, 215K)

I don't get why people demand that SteamOS feature every Windows game. I dualboot and most of the games I play have a Linux version or work without hassle in Wine. I use Windows when performance becomes unacceptable or if wine doesn't work, like The Witcher 3.

Valve are apparently working on a massive overhaul of big picture which will likely coincide with a bigger launch of the Linux compatibility tools (with more certified games) and other such things which will mean a big new version of SteamOS

Hopefully they'll be confident enough to give SteamOS it's own site, or a link right on the steam home page. The Alienware Alpha was such a QT, i'd love to get an updated one.

>i don't understand why people who only bought a computer for video games would prefer a library of 25000 steam games instead of a library of 5000 linux steam games
>why would anyone want a software product they bought to work properly on the supposed valid replacement for what they're currently using

Most games work fine, tho.

Most of the 20000 games you're mentioning either complete garbage like ported cell phone games, are old so they work in wine, or actually do have a SteamOS port.

SteamOS's ability to play games isn't minor.

no proton wine

well yea, if it's that long

takes up way to much space to convert a wall of text into a tower

>Windows is oddly well optimized for gaming.
You've got that backwards, son. Gaming is optimized for Windows.

If you get device manufacturers to write proper drivers and developers to write proper software, it's likely to run a lot better on Linux thanks to less overhead (and well-optimized OpenGL being faster than Direct3D).
Plus with Linux you won't have a hundred different "telemetry" processes for "user experience improvements" eating up resources.

>it's likely to run a lot better on Linux thanks to less overhead

That's what they said about Windows vs older versions of Windows but the reality is that, with the exception of Vista, that's not true. If you compare XP to 7 to 8 to 10, there's a performance improvement provided your machine can stomach the overhead of each step up.

i think gabe plans to release a proper debian fork of steamos once vulkan and source 2 are ready

also i don't get why he doesn't just sell a bare compact desktop chassis and let us be the ones to choose the hardware. maybe include a nice pci cable to connect the gfx to the mobo and then any normie can just build it like any other desktop

so don't buy dell, just desktops or laptops and displays too?

but don't those prebuild pcs have locked cases? how would anyone clean it then?

what did you do with his custom parts

>Windows runs faster on more powerful computers
Thankyou wise one. Anymore golden nuggets of enlightenment?

Yeah, learn to read. Being powerful enough to stomach increased overhead doesn't mean you're comparing different versions of windows on different computers. The fact that machine is singular and not plural rules that out.

>comparing different versions of windows on different computers.
Why would I do that? Now we has Linux so windows is relegated to secondary partition for mundane things like partition management, soon to be deleted forever.

Steam didn't force devs to make games for them on Linux if they wanted to put games on Steam.
It would have killed Steam ofc but then Steam needs to fuck off as well as all online distributors that aren't GOG.

just wait for blockchain drm and we can all trade games p2p

yes let's use windows vs windows advancements to prove windows is better than linux once and for all

Yes because it's valid, saying overhead is what matters when there's a direct comparison that shows otherwise makes no sense. If the overhead isn't oppressive then it's probably not relevant.

u mad

you forgot one thing mr analysis:
>linux has had more overhead and better performance at each stage of window's development

but go on saying that w10 is better because it runs better than wXP/7/8, which it doesn't if you factor in how those performed during their era and hardware pool

I play good with splatoon and fortnite on my switch tho