/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1536022477616.png (3000x2933, 242K)

Other urls found in this thread:

0x0.st/sva9.txt
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Removable_media#Mounting_removable_media
0x0.st/svBv.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for nobody reads the op

I was surprised to see how bloated Linux is. My desktop now uses 56M of memory after disabling most of the useless features.

You're sure if this post belongs to Jow Forums?

I read it, I even clicked on most of the links. I didn't read them though.

Hi
So i have ubuntu budgie and chosen the minimal version during the install (that doesnt mean netinst but just an option at the end of gui install if i want to have just a browser and basic software or full budgie with libreoffice etc)
That was great and i added just what i needed. Then i fucked up and unsinstalled lightdm (ubuntu budgie display mAnager) and once i reinstalled it, it installed itself with the full DE software.
1) is there a simple way to remove it now without selectively deleting it?
2) this is a bonus question - i originally wanted to remove the lightdm so i could booted into tty and then run budgie when im ready but that broke the DE and hence i re-installed it. Can i do that? Can i boot into tty and then startx or whatever and go straight to desktop like one could do with lets say a wm?

Cuz fglt cant into clickbait

I've never used a tiling WM before. Is it worth it or should I just stick to Xfce?

Install babbies first ten (i3) and try it in a second X session.

sorry reposting from last thread a few minutes ago:
hey guys i really want to switch to a distro of linux to try and get a grip in coding and such, using w10 right now and dont really know what distro to use, i tried ubuntu in virtualbox but it didnt seem to want to install nor run, tried puppy linux and it worked really slow and its really ugly for me, any recommendations/ VMs to use? ty in advance and have a vaporwavey wallpaper
also i did read the wikis and they are really old and outdated so that wont help, and pls i dont really want to go the full ricing path of installing arch or gentoo and having to config everything, i really just want a distro good enough out of the box and with enough ricing for one to learn and wrap around, sorry if im way too specific

well i corrected it :P

Attached: t3.png (1920x1200, 91K)

Get rufus, put noobuntu on USB, boot USB, install.

oh well gonna investigate thanks user!

WHY IS HE SO SMUG?

How do you get terminal commands like wal -i ~/Pictures/Wallpapers to run in .xinitrc?

Pywal generates a terminal palette from an image and also makes it the wallpaper; if you give it a directory, it chooses an image at random. So the above command should be able get a random rotation of wallpapers and terminal colorschemes going at session start, but I'm not sure how I should be phrasing it in the context of .xinitrc.

Wildebeests live in freedom.
mycommand &
exec mywm

Does redshift directly interfere with an xorg server's ability to "sleep" (go dark) after a certain period of inactivity?

If so, is there a way to disable that? I love redshift but I don't want my monitor on 24/7.

What the fuck is a DE?

>love redshift but I don't want my monitor on 24/7.
Then turn your monitor off when you dont need it

how do I livestream a folder of files to my site with ffmpeg? I know how to embed it, just don't know how to live stream it to the site itself

How can I find out how much space each package takes up?

newfriend here, literally falling for the install gentoo meme but i'm honestly the type that starting teaching myself ceeples just because they told me it would be too hard.

I'm enjoying the journey so far, but i've hit a tiny stumbling block. I'm trying to do a minimal installation off of uefi boot from a usb live cd. I'm pretty sure i've partitioned the drive I want with parted, but when i try to download my stage3tarball I'm told i don't have enough space.

using parted, i formated /dev/sdb, but my root is still on /dev/sda. i 100% blame myself for not knowing shell commands well enough, but when i try to cd into /dev/sdb it doesn't work. How am i supposed to download my tarball onto my root of /dev/sdb, specifically /dev/sdb4?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-30 Read manga Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken - Jojorion (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (367x378, 141K)

still banned?

turn off compression
regen your package cache

>cd into /dev/sdb4
lolwut? this isn't windows, you have to mount it manually
you might notice that on ubuntu you don't need to mount /dev/sdXY, because it's automounted by the DE on startup

You dont format with parted. Use `mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdX` to format it.

Will systemd shit itself if I clear out the /var/log/journal/ folder?

/dev/sdb is the block device, think of it as something like an enormous file that holds the entire raw contents of the drive (including filesystem data, free space, etc.)

You'll need to mount it before you can actually do filesystem-type stuff with it.

on my slackware
$ head -3 /var/log/packages/kernel-source*
0x0.st/sva9.txt

Is Ubuntu a security concern? Even with the KDE Neon clean install version of Ubuntu?
I've been looking into Linux distros and DEs and KDE Neon interests me a lot.
I'm mostly interested in KDE Neon because KDE makes a lot of my favorite FOSS and the Plasma DE that comes with it looks really nice.
Additionally, I've had a lot of experience with macOS and Windows XP/7/10, but not much with any Linux distro, so Ubuntu seems like a good staritng point.

With all of that said, I've just heard so much criticism of Ubuntu, especially in regards to it being less private and secure as other distros.
How true are those claims that I've seen in the past?
Do they apply to to KDE Neon's versio of Ubuntu?

switch to sysvinit
you're welcome

I may. I'm trying to clean up an Ubuntu install I've been using since 12.10.
Stuck with systemd because it sounded like a pain to deviate
I'd like to setup an install without systemd

whats sysvinit's benefits over openRC?
are there any?

Any guides for best hardware to use?

T H I N K P A D

sudo apt autoremove --purne budgie-*
to reinstall
sudo apt install ubuntu-budgie-desktop
this will install everything (Not just minimal but also extra apps and gaymes and shit tho)

oh i fucked up,
to uninstall
sudo apt autoremove --purge budgie*

they all telling shit. ubuntu and its derivatives are fine.

>they all telling shit
wut
>ubuntu and its derivatives are fine
that's good to hear, I guess the inclusion of things like that Amazon bullshit were more unethical to the FOSS communities, rather than botnet?

more unicks :^)
while openrc keeps track of running daemon, sysvinit doesn't because it just executes program --daemon and that's it, nothing more nothing else
seriously the purpose of init system is just to run a program as daemon, either by passing --daemon or without it (if it isn't needed)
systemd is more like an operating system than init system

thanks for the tip

facts, i did use mkfs.ext4. my bad for mistyping

okok, this is exactly the direction i was looking for. I'm still trying not to be 100% spoonfed, but would you say that wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Removable_media#Mounting_removable_media is the right action i should take next before trying to download my tarball again?

Attached: 1535411831529.jpg (750x366, 56K)

just curious, what's your prior linux knowledge? ubuntu?

you can just uninstall amazon (which is only on main ubuntu distro btw, derivatives don't have these extra addons)

literally nothing. I am literally someone finally installing gnu/linux so i can do something about my learned helplessness from windows always doing shit i can't control.

Attached: 1530558834691.png (416x281, 118K)

Kubuntu or KDE neon, and why?

I did the same thing. I jumped into gnu+linux with Arch back in April. I liked the idea of a manual install with choices that windows would never give me. Later I would find out that for some reason most of the internet thinks of it as a meme. It's really not hard to install and its never broke for me, unless I did something stupid.

I've got a 1TB HDD that returns "read test error" from smartctl, though it passes the usual smart test. Only 4000 hours of use, it's a 2.5" Toshiba. Installing wangblows is no-go, tried 4 times to different errors. Any way to use this drive securely, using some safer filesystem or whatever? Also it came along a 2016 samsung notebook, anyone knows if there may be warranty on this?

gentoo + kde
>why?
it's good for your soul

I'm trying to switch from Windows + FOSS replacement programs to Linux, so I'd rather not jump into Gentoo first, but I'd like to eventually go as far as running Linux From Scratch.

What's the best program to run with chad arguments? Ex: du -chad 1 [dirs]

I cleaned up five years of cruft and only reclaimed 3.5GB of space and removed 500 packages. Still at 2536 packages. Is there a way to find libs that are not relied upon by any other installed package?

$ ls -chad

sudo apt autoremove

>libs that are not relied upon by any other installed package
Typically those are listed under "not installed"

I have a big music collection (60k files). When I add it to the library in my music player if there is a space or fullstop at the end of the folder or subfolders name it glitches and doesn't add the contents to my library. What command can I use to run recursively through my whole library and remove any trailers spaces/fullstop from all of the directories? it's apparently fine if the files themselves have it just not folders.

If you use i3, which status bar do you prefer and why?

>i3bar
>polybar
>bumblebee
>other

stock because it werks. all I need to know is how many workspaces I have, date, time, netowrk status, CPU load and battery status. If I wanted pretty ricing I wouldn't be using i3.

I have the xfce4 panel

probably something like
find . -type d -exec rename 's/\s/_/g' {} +

to replace all spaces with underscores
not tested so be careful, there's no undo :^)

I have 2 different backups of it so I'm not worried about fucking up the structure. I don't want any trailing special characters though, just check for a space or . and remove if it's there.

>the implication being that package management is flawless and wont ever orphan shit

xfce4-panel
I got tired of editing configs for bars like i3bar and polybar

Attached: 2018-09-03-183255_2560x1440_scrot.png (2560x1440, 1.62M)

which package manager are you using?
every single package manager besides pacman can find orphaned packages and uninstall them with a simple one-liner

's/\W\+$//'

should do it

>besides pacman can find orphaned packages and uninstall them with a simple one-liner
Because pacman can't?

How can I use a package manager from another distro? Preferably still keeping the one for the distro I am using, of course.

You can, you just have to query your installed packages, and pipe them into the uninstall command. It's possible just not nearly as clean as apt or emerge

Why would you want to do this?
You hypothetically could do it, but it would fucking mangle your install. I wouldn't recommend.

install gentoo

One of the tiny differences between distros is the package manager family they use. If you're going to use Gentoo for example, it makes absolutely zero sense to try to use apt (Debian's) instead of using portage (Gentoo's). Because if you want to use apt, then you'll go with the distros that use apt by default because all their software repos are configured with apt in mind.

You're going to make a big mess if you try combining two different package managers, or switch to one to another in the same distro, because the base system was already installed with one.

I just want to use Guix package manager for a few packages I cant get on arch. Maybe apt-get as well, for some more packages that arent on the aur or are but arent as fully featured as on debian.

I switched over to Bionic Beaver a few months ago without any prior Linux knowledge.
A few weeks after, my sound card went and disappeared on me. Only dummy output shows and I could not get it to work no matter what. I tried all solutions I could find on the internet to no avail, and as a bandaid solution for an external sound card with earphones and was able to finally get sound.
Well that cheap Chinese product broke as well, so I now want to find a solution to reactive/ find my sound card.

Please help

Attached: 1535983215881.jpg (1080x1350, 81K)

user you do realize compiling those packages from source is way easier than installing two new package-managers in your distro, right

idk why icecat(current) isn't in the hyperbole repo
and i cant figure out how to build it, the tarball comes with an exe for some reason. i don't remember downloading for windows or anything like that.

glad to know i'm not the only one. thanks for the help user

Attached: Yeah, Nawh.gif (264x240, 2.64M)

Same, but with Devuan

Do the people that use i3 here actually use the tabbed/stacked modes? And if so, what for?

I seemingly always prefer using the standard mode, at least in my workflow.

Nope, and I commented them out of the config and use the binds for other shit

you can try dd'ing the drive full of zeros, sometimes when I drive has dodgy sectors the writes will wake up its firmware and force it to spare them out. Don't get your hopes up though.

Sorry for the wall of text.

I'm using debian unstable and have been experiencing a weird thing I'm not sure what's causing for a while, but recently kind of got worse.

For a while now, every so often gnome-shell seemed to crash and immediately restart (As if you had Alt+F2 and r). This was a little annoying, but it didn't do much for the overall use of the computer. Recently, though the problem escalated. This seems to coincide with a hardware change; my GPU died so I had to remove it and I have to run on mobo graphics for a couple of days while my new GPU gets here.

Thing is that gnome-shell crash seems to be a lot more tedious now; instead of just crashing and instantly restarting, it kicks me out to the login screen and I'll have to log in again. Everything that was running of course gets closed and shit. This didn't happen before.

This issue seems hard to diagnose though because its not exactly consistent. It seems to most commonly happen when a new 'window' is made, like opening a new browser or program, but it can happen when a program creates a file browser too (Like if I click the choose file button here). Sometimes it'll happen, sometimes it won't. In my experience, it seems to happen after a lot of time has gone on for a long time.

Any ideas on how to better diagnose this shit or any idea of what it might be would be extremely welcomed

Attached: I'm fine.png (277x268, 180K)

how do i turn off permissions warnings of find command? -nowarn doesnt work

You can write your own really easily since the i3 bar takes json.
I've got my own custom made one. Sadly no screenshot on me to show it. I do have a pic I made though.
Excuse the quality.

Attached: Screenshot_20180904-095527_Gallery.jpg (2960x1440, 1.89M)

They're probably going to stderr. So 2> /dev/null should work maybe?

Would it be okay to use a printer with a laptop that has Mint 19 Cinnamon on it even if it doesn’t say it’s compatible with any Linux distro other than Debian?

So I'm noticing I can't add any MIME types directly to Firefox's preferences menu to tell it how to open certain kinds of files. And when I do select stuff in that menu, Firefox completely ignores it.

Which mimetype config file dominates the rest? ~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache? /usr/local/applications/*.desktop entries? I notice the ones in the Firefox menu I have in one computer can be different from another computer with Firefox on it.

I'm very confused. Pls advice.

>more like an operating system
>doesn't even have a kernel
>"i will just say these exaggerations because i really don't know anything, but it's vague enough to make me sound smart"

Jow Forums, what's a good lightweight image viewer that isn't feh?

I want something to browse folder galleries with keyboard arrows, with zoom in and out with ctr +/-, and resize-to-fit-screen capabilities. That is literally it. Ideally as little in the way of menus and sidebars as possible.

it covers most of the basics so if some tard comes in and asks something everyone else has figured out you can just redirect them to the OP

I don't think it does, at least not when you sue randr as adjustment-method

It is, printers manufacturer is a fuckwith.
Printing on gahnoo+loonix is provided by CUPS. If it can print from debian, it can print from mint, ubuntu, gentoo, arch, void, freebsd and OSX as all of them use CUPS.

Hey guys, I have i3wm and compton, though when I boot my computer after the login it defaults me to a grey colored background, I'm wondering how I change this, is it to do with X or is it compton or i3?

Not sure which is responsible for the grayed background after the startup of i3wm.

People seem to say its actually X and not i3wm but I've tried hsetroot -solid black in my i3 config, and xinitrc but neither work.

but it has loonix, fucking retard
>"i will just say these exaggerations because i really don't know anything, but it's vague enough to make me sound smart"
why are you defining yourself
and never come back

I have a small i3 issue that I'll just add next to this post.

I've installed i3 gaps on xfce/antergos, but I didn't get any config popup when I first used i3, and I just get a sort of circular hourglass thing when I used mod+enter. Dmenu doesn't work either, but the windows key is clearly the mod key.

Linux isn't part of the systemd umbrella, you fucking retard. Try again, fucking retard.

I want really bad to switch to awesome (or any wm for that matter) but how do you deal with wifi connections?
I can’t seem to find any practical tool that scans networks and where I don’t have to enter SSIDs manually

Attached: image.jpg (500x383, 188K)

all the mime types aren't handled by their respective programs but rather handled by xdg
to get a mime type of a directory for example, issue:
$ mkdir foo
$ xdg-mime query filetype foo
inode/directory
~/.local/share/applications/*.desktop overrides /usr/share/applications/*.desktop just like ~/foo.conf overrides /etc/foo.conf
to set the default program for opening inode/directory, issue:
xdg-mime default rxvt-dir.desktop inode/directory
to get the rxvt-dir.desktop file, issue:
$ mkdir -p ~/.local/share/applications
$ curl -s 0x0.st/svBv.txt >~/.local/share/applications/rxvt-dir.desktop
now every time a GUI program opens a directory, it will be opened in rxvt instead of your file manager
to see the default program that handles a certain mime type, issue:
$ xdg-mime query default inode/directory
should outputs program.desktop

sxiv

network-manager
$ nmcli d wifi
$ nmcli d wifi connect `ssid` --ask
now, every time you need to connect to `ssid`, simply:
$ nmcli c
$ nmcli c up `ssid`

iirc arch ootb comes with scan-wifi or something, it'll output a very basic gui which you can arrow key to select and enter a pw to connect to a wifi. No need to copy netctl profiles and enter stuff manually.

Did you try reinstalling it ?
If not, try that, and delete everything that could be a i3 config file (use locate)