How long does a career in Software Engineering last?

Is it true that it's over once you hit your 30s?

Attached: 1528638009933.png (502x841, 327K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.co.jp/amp/s/m.huffingtonpost.ca/amp/ron-shulman/its-time-ontario-courts-truly-rid-spousal-support-of-gender-bia/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yep. Once you hit 30 you'll be the next to get fired.

Yep. Once you hit 30 you'll be the next to get fired.

If you haven't escaped into lead dev/management by 35, yes you do get ousted very quickly.
Even if you enjoy codemonkey work, nobody else thinks so and believes you're a major flight risk, and they would rather fire an expensive employee with 20 years of experience to hire 3 unpaid interns to take your place, the young naive interns they hire haven't had their hopes and dreams crushed yet.

>Manager
There's a difference between Manager and someone that actually does the work. The implications are entirely different.

I left programming to work a sanitation job. I worked on some garbage collection routines in C for a while, then I started to actually collect garbage. I also worked with Dbase, and some front end work IDE.

Guess which job I liked better?

Attached: code complete.jpg (200x252, 7K)

Once you reach 25 you should have enough to retire.

Please tell us.

Where did all of his money go?

Shouldn't any "Engineer" be making bank and, on top of that, he has had babyboomer wages throughout his life on top of it. He should be set for retirement by now.

I think this guy is just being a bus driver for a few years until he can collect social security and then he's going to sit fat on his mountain of money, passive social security income, and start complaining about how his medication costs hundreds of dollars per pill bottle even though he can completely afford it.

>Software engineer manager
nice name to code monkey

Not him but It was santiation.

-t. left IT to do manual labor, never looked back.

>As money grew tighter, house payments were missed and 401(k) savings were exhausted, he took minimum wage jobs at Target and Walmart and tried his hand at income tax preparation. On a whim, he applied for a job as a bus driver — and was hired, now earning less than half his once six-figure salary.

The tech industry/software industry has been around since the 80's, so how many 50 year old developers have you worked with? There aught to be many... but there aren't, other than the ones who have management positions... they all kindof just disappear. Which has been my observation. I don't know where they went.

Attached: face.jpg (256x505, 30K)

So this guy was the typical Amerifat that spent all of his money on mountains of debt and shit he didn't need? If so he did this to himself.

onions green is people

Sounds like it.

If I were to make 200-300k per year, I'd work 5, maybe 10 years and then fuck off to something else. I imagine most sane people also do this.

>onions green is people
???

>Software Engineer Mananger

Attached: 1535027559718.jpg (268x269, 8K)

That has to be the case. How else would he have ended up as a bus driver at that age? Most guys that old are either retired or working part time as professors after decades of six figure salaries. And keep in mind cost of living and house prices were way lower.

nope, I work with at least one guy who's over 50 and several others in their 40s at a Large Tech Company.

mook deserves the gas
so᠌ylent greens is people

The one I knew died a few months after turning 50 from a heart attack.

i know someone in the 50s fired 2 years ago, he still hasn't found another job

Was it your daddy?

lol 17 yo detected

>t. pays no rents or mortgage

okay

but still 50 > 30

It's over when you hit 55

lots of software people goes to microsoft to retire

I still don't know wtf you are talking about and why you replied to me that way

>I think this guy is just being a bus driver for a few years until he can collect social security and then he's going to sit fat on his mountain of money, passive social security income
Doubtful.
There are plenty of boomers, my father for instance where things didn't pan out because of unforeseen circumstances.
My dad is a doctor and the clinic he worked at went under so he had to move his practice, but he didn't want to start over, so he worked for a group then they went under.
Then he worked for another group, nurses lied about his work because he found out they were planning to leave the clinic then he got fired because of their lies, those nurses jumped ship to start their own practice.
A lot of doctors who owned clinics sold them to larger medical systems and made a lot of money, and new doctors are just cogs in the systems now.
My father never got to sell out, and now he's just a cog in the system with poor job offers with not enough to retire..

Why the fuck would you still need to work in your 50s?

maybe at 30, on two conditions:

1. you don't inflate your lifestyle in the process
2. you move somewhere cheap to retire

At 26 I've got about $250k in investments, but I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to retire without at least $1M so I could shoot for living off of around $50k a year.

because money doesn't grow on trees?

This. If you're 59 you should be prepared to retire and at least have enough in personal investments outside of a 401k to coast to retirement so you can get your 401k and live quietly.

I met the guy that wrote "The C programming language" book on an internship actually. He works at the Google Office in New York, so I do think some of them do still work.

might as well be a unicorn

Lies.

Dennis Ritchie died and Brian Kernigan has never worked for google.

Good luck not getting a girlfriend who expects so much out of you

>Wow, user. You have a million in the bank and you can't afford to buy me diamonds, trips to Hawaii, and to send our children to the most prestigious university? You're a fucking cheapskate, I'm divorcing you to do all of that with your money!

To me, you sound like a very reasonable person who wants to retire young and live a fun life having the freedom to do what you want, but I worry that you're going to get forced to keep working like a wageslave because your significant other is going to force it on you.

In 1950s maybe

Don't people retire at 65?

After taxes?

none of the authors of that book work at google

>be bus driver
>28
>150k (AUD) in savings

It's not a bad job desu.

Attached: qcI7C60.jpg (900x675, 64K)

A lot of truck and bus drivers are old guys, it's one of the relatively few fields where dudes over 50 are preferred. Unfortunately it sometimes leads to decrepit truckers in their 70s-80s getting into accidents, in fact there's anecdotal evidence to suggest this is an increasing problem.

>girlfriend
>I'm divorcing you

at that rate you'll never own a house

Fortunately not a problem right now as my boyfriend is also in tech (and in fact makes a good amount more than I do). I do sometimes worry that my family will start coming at me for money, though.

Attached: 1530342450100.jpg (896x1045, 348K)

Eh its nonsense just dont focus on flavor of the month meme langs. Cobal guys still get steady work. I write java and know i can write java for the rest of my life, there is already too much code that needs to be maintained. You just have to be capable of learning new shit that comes along the way

It's because those cushy local driver jobs are nepotistic as fuck.
Young guys with little experience are stuck doing OTR and getting maybe 4 days a month to themselves working the hourly load equivalent of 2 full time jobs for 40k a year.
None of them last, most see it as a wakeup call to go back to school and get a real education.

There's a very simple solution to this; don't date gold digging whores

Cucked lmao

What's OTR?

ON THE ROAD

on the road, long distance trucking regionally or coast to coast
you live in your truck and get fat because all you have to eat is fast food and truck stop food

That's basically what happened to me. I went to CDL school, saw how miserable it is to actually drive one of those massive logs of shit, ended up failing the road test twice and finally said fuck this. Now I'm back in college and grateful I woke up and went back before I shit the bed and ended up babysitting a truck in the middle of nowhere for shit pay

Why do you need a degree to do codemonkey work?

It literally does. Ever heard of compound growth?

School bus drivers are often also retired old people with nothing better to do.

fucking incels beliving this shit
you need to get laid
why are you so afraid of girls?

Attached: 1533998932583.jpg (960x960, 104K)

These guys will also be the first getting their jobs automated by driving AI, won't they?

You honestly could just lie about having one given how retarded some devs with degrees are

i wont even be able to drive a bus when im 50 because AI will be driving them.

I'm pretty sure employers run background checks for that

Seems like a comfier job desu

>given how retarded some devs with degrees are
Any good examples of educated retardation?

Tits or GTFO

hurr, compound growth will make us all rich
>gee i wonder why people are not all rich already

not really
those guys drive in all conditions
AI driving systems are limited by their sensors, and they can't see shit in heavy rain

and those automated trucks certainly won't know if they're being overloaded on one axle by slimy warehouse dock workers.
It's actually insane just how much responsibility is placed on the truck driver in complying with all local and federal weight and state DOT inspection laws.

Small devs shops never do
Every dev that graduated from my state uni is an idiot if they didnt work a few internships already. They still remain pretty stupid until working as a dev for a few years

>manager
I guess he let his technical skills atrophy. The real lesson, of course, is that by that age you should own a business.

Small devs shops pay like shit

Not all of them. I get paid well at a smaller place. We have like 15 devs

how much?

130,000 pesos a year

If you're not in management by 30, you're rotten meat to the next fresh graduate.

most people inflate their lifestyle along with their income - higher income means they go for a nicer house, newer/flashier car, etc. instead of just jewing away those shekels for later

>I also worked with Dbase
fuck that for a joke, i'd want to quit and drive garbage trucks or something too

t. had to repair those files often in an old job where idiots kept fucking up field names in the tables (i wrote a tool to do it, but fuck that shit right off desu)

kek, i guess that's good pay for a small shop

85k. Living is cheap here so wages arent as high as other places. i know one guy who just got 100k at the big insurance company down the road and i dont see a reason to leave for that because my job is cushy. Others i know make less than me at larger businesses. Just depends

If you're not retarded, you'll get yourself a nice linux sysadmin job and automate away your job responsibility and play dumb most days of the week while you work on side projects, and watch anime and jerk off on company time.

Just make sure your scripts are remotely hosted so you can stop them from running the second you get downsized or caught.

>cuckifornia
pick an actual state not that communist regressive shithole.

>tfw neet all the way to 25
Well, I'm fucked when I find a job that matches my passion.

>instead of just jewing away those shekels for later
>having the self-control to save is being a jew

Attached: 1520059667896.png (663x720, 578K)

What kind of peso?

I was shitposting. I'm not even , I just hijacked the opportunity.

seems to be actual person.

not falling for their tricks (just buy it goy! 18 months interest-free!) means you're probably one of them

if you want, go for remote job for sv companies, should be able to up that to 130k+

Ive worked remote before and i dont like it. I like chating with people at work and its makes my job easier having a team around me that i can easily speak with

My dad was fired 6 months ago at age 57 because he wasn't working fast enough and didn't know how to use the bookkeeping software. He was an accountant. Now he can't find a job.
I'm disappointed in my parents

When you're over a certain age, people are more quick to judge your skillset as obsolete if you're not as framework happy as the stupid kids coming out of 4 year universities.

Haha wtf

>t. NEET

>insane just how much responsibility is placed on the truck driver in complying with all local and federal weight and state DOT inspection laws.
i mean all they do is drive from point a to b.

He's implying they're turned into onions green you dumb shit.

>mfw work shit job
>28, was planning on paying my way through college to do CS
>hear that im going to be unemployable within 2 years despite whatever skillset I have

Is there a source to any of these claims? It sounds like pure bullshit. People over 30 who have been doing CS all their lives don't suddenly vanish. I can only see this happening in some shitty startup.

> If the spouses are not married, they must have lived together as a couple for at least three years, or for any length of time if they were in a relationship of "some permanence" and had a child together. When the partnership breaks down, the person with more income or assets may have to pay support to the other.
google.co.jp/amp/s/m.huffingtonpost.ca/amp/ron-shulman/its-time-ontario-courts-truly-rid-spousal-support-of-gender-bia/

Too lazy to read everything. I can't focus attention on leftist articles because the bullshit detector is always off the chart and I keep discarding whatever I'm reading.

Been at this for 10 years and want out, but there is no real end game other than "management" or hard career reset. Trying to pick up new tech and skills with a long commute is kind of a PITA. Small companies don't invest in their employees at all and expect you to hit the ground running. Big companies expect you to pick up their insular culture and lingo by the end of a week.

This.
Nothing beats having a proper work environment to get things done and communicate with people. Too bad a lot of places are going open plan so management can shit on people a little harder.

Attached: 1422113502780.png (717x678, 544K)