/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: thermaltake g3.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/zqpgZR
morele.net/inventory/info/d0bd79c0/
allegro.pl/lenovo-m93p-mt-i5-4590-16gb-256-ssd-win-10-pro-i7460138590.html
support.lenovo.com/us/pl/solutions/pd027529
pcpartpicker.com/list/QtQ7MZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/bqMpD2
ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Kwwmq
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/nthMXP
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/BkMpD2
ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/T3xrpG
youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZsaavKNR8
pcpartpicker.com/list/rQpgZR
youtube.com/watch?v=uzp8z1i5-Hc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

daily reminder to preorder it for him

Attached: 14395328.jpg (2520x1830, 3.3M)

>gpu fans right next to glass
That can't be good on heat dissipation

I only do cum tributes for mommy Su

crosshair vi is on sale on newegg guys.

if youre considering a lowend x470 or a b450, get this one instead.

need new core comps

should i buy ryzen or wait for zen 2 or just suck it up and get intel

literally all i do is game, and gaming performance is all i care about

>gaming performance is all i care about
Get delidded (preferebly also binned) 8700k or 9900k. With a little bit of luck you can hit 5.3GHz

What's your cpu? Chances are you don't need a new one yet and you can wait till ryzen 2 and see what happens.

4790k atm

i guess i could delid and see if i can hit 5ghz but seems like work

i hate overclocking.

8086k at my local microcenter for like 350. problem is i sorta wanna wait for either z390, or like at least to see what the 9900k looks like. if the SC is the same as the 8086k, then theres no point in buying it.

ryzen has lower SC perf but is safer cuz zen2 will be on the same socket.

It is a short-ways fin card, though, so air is no longer pushing on the motherboard.
There are also a few air holes on the panel there. It's not full glass, it's window. But yeah I'd like it more if it came with a mesh w/ dust filter side panel.

I can get this for $1007. Is the RAM overkill? Only $20 more than 3000mhz so might as well.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1156x477, 100K)

>4790k atm
good enough, just wait
>i hate overclocking
tough shit then buddy there's no point getting intel if you don't want to overclock for that sick single core performance and at the same time ryzen is clocked so low you can easily get free performance by overclocking it.

>tough shit then buddy

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuc

Attached: u slay me.png (520x522, 576K)

what do you plan on using the build for? what currency is that?

>suck it up and get Intel
Why would you do that? There's no point at all to buy any Intel CPU except maybe when the 9700k comes out.
But by the time the 9700k comes out, Zen2 is soon.
I think a 2600 @ 4.1GHz will be a bit slower than the 4790k in some games, and faster than others. Probably always faster only if you're using B-die.
You could get it now

Also Zen2 is confirmed to be on the HPC process. It's not going to be another smartphone or LP server process like we were thinking a few weeks/months ago.

Not unreasonable to dislike overclocking a CPU.
Overclocking GPU is really easy. RAM... you can do something that'll just work even if it's not the tightness. Get an unstable CPU due to your overclock and crashing is fucking annoying.
That's a lot of why I had been recommending to just get the 2600X and enable PBO. It's stable. It just works. But 2600X tends to cost a lot more than the 2600 recently.

Uh if the 3000MHz CL15 and the 3200 CL16? Then just save the $20 because that's the same thing.
I'd also get the Mortar or Tomahawk board, really. ASUS makes some good high end boards like the Crosshair VII, but I'm not a fan of their low end.
Is the SSD really supposed to be that expensive? I know it's AUS, that still looks like a lot for AUS. Same for the PSU.

>what do you plan on using the build for?
games and stuff
what makes those boards better?

It's samsung ssd of course it's gonna be expensive af, as for the psu I'm not strayan but over here it cost more or less the same.

Jesus christ what the fuck is wrong with white people

9700k. You'd be a retard to waste money on the 9900k if all you care about is gaymen.

>8 threads
It's gonna be worse than 8700k in gaymen

It's 8 cores you dummy. Intel threads are fucking shit anyway that's why i5 8400 is as good as 7700k

>8C8T
It's gonna be garbage in gaming. This isn't 2012 anymore.

No it won't. 8 real cores is better than 6 cores 12 threads as far as intel goes.

well sorry buddy, but no more hyperthreading. Intel fucked up and now they're trying to fix their shit.

What is the cheapest SSD one should buy?
It will be for a laptop that will be used for 2 hours daily tops.

WD Green or ADATA SU650?

Games are only beginning to use 8 cores

how many gigarays you think the average card will produce in 2025?

Will probably follow moore's law if rtx catches on which I am 90% sure it will since it's already used in animated films.

Budget: $532 USD (price of an xbox one x)
Goal: To shit on the xbox

pcpartpicker.com/list/zqpgZR

Thoughts/improvements?

Get a Ryzen 2200G or 2400G.
MSI B450 Tomahawk.
Faster RAM?
Avoid Kingston SSDs, Avoid 120GB SSDs, check ADATA SU800.
EVGA 450BT.

Remove the GTX 1050, get a 1050Ti.

Hoping to hear more from anyone who’s used ryzen for emulation such as dolphin. Are you happy with the experience despite it supposedly being inferior to intel in that regard?

>dolphin
I doubt you're gonna get any answers. Only manchilds care about that shit.

It works great

Just general experience with cheap ASUS boards being very disappointing.
I'd assume the Tomahawk/Mortar has a CPU-less BIOS flashing while ASUS doesn't, probably more fan headers, and things like that.
Check them side by side though, I could be wrong. Newegg has a good comparison tool on its site when you select a board.

>It's samsung ssd of course it's gonna be expensive af
So get an MX500 if it's cheaper dur

>architecturally broken hyperthreading
kek threadlets.
I'm glad you specified
>as far as intel goes
since it's not true with AMD's SMT, but as far as Intel's HT goes it's shit, yep.

Whichever has higher TBW for the capacity.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/zqpgZR
>$130 for a 2Gb 1050
holy shit fucking no.
>120gb SSD
Just get a 2400G, mATX board and case like the Bazooka/Mortar and Q300L, and get a 240Gb+ SSD.
Use the $150 you saved to save toward getting a new 7nm GPU next year.
Or see if you can find a 1050 3Gb around $100...

Ryzen works great for all the emulators.
It's just AMD GPUs that don't do well in demanding and shittily programmed OpenGL like in Cemu.

How is Windows 8.1 if I don't want to use 10?

Got a 3TB Toshiba that was dead on arrival. Return and go Seagate now?

You can go cheaper by going to your local university and buying a surplus PC usually with an i7 from the last 3-5 years ago, and then throw in a GTX 1050Ti, RAM, and an SSD

What's up with tech (((YouTubers))) and those bobbleheads?

Would it be a safe bet to upgrade a CPU now? Unless someone knows something that I don't, both Intel and AMD's new chips won't hit the market tell sometime in Q2 2019, right? I really don't want to upgrade now just to find out the next CPU gen is right around the corner.

wich one should i pick in terms of long time gaming on low setting the f2p titles and world of warcraft bfa

morele.net/inventory/info/d0bd79c0/
or
allegro.pl/lenovo-m93p-mt-i5-4590-16gb-256-ssd-win-10-pro-i7460138590.html
manual support.lenovo.com/us/pl/solutions/pd027529

no i dont plan on any upgrades im piss poor

Uhh Intel's new one should be out be February. Likely by November.
AMD's should be here in late Q1 or early Q2 2019.

A 2600/X is still a perfectly good CPU for gaming, though. You could get it and then upgrade to a 3700X or something once the 3700X goes on sale post-launch and you're not really paying much more that way than if you bought 3700X for MSRP on launch.
Same applies with waiting on 7nm GPUs. May as well get something to hold you over now if you really need a new one, and can allow you to hold out and wait for prices to go down post-launch of 7nm GPUs.

It's actually okay if you use the enterprise version and skin it.

Will AMD release any APU's soon?
I am just in love with the 2400g right now and how powerful the igpu is if I can wait for a new APU with a performance that matches the 1050 Ti I would be over the moon as it would hit two birds with one stone for me.
Or it will never happen do to ram speed limitation?

it will never happen due to radeon limitation

>Radeon
You mean software?

pcpartpicker.com/list/QtQ7MZ

hows this?

Attached: OH SNAPO.png (942x540, 692K)

what used gpu for this

Attached: 1513321155444.png (669x459, 55K)

>Will AMD release any APU's soon?
It appears that 12nm or 7nm Raven Ridge is coming before Zen2.
Looks like late this year.
>if I can wait for a new APU with a performance that matches the 1050 Ti I would be over the moon as it would hit two birds with one stone for me.
Won't happen unless they put HBM on the package.
Even the 2400G hits the limit of performance that an iGPU can get on dual channel DDR4 with a minor overclock.
Unless they do HBM on die, which would be like a $220+ part, you won't see a much more powerful APU on DDR4.

HD 5770 or 6670 I guess?

Does an 8400 require you to buy an additional cooler? Would it then become more expensive than a 2600x?

Even if it comes with a stock cooler, Intel's stock coolers are terrible, they make an ungodly amount of noise. I thought I could get away with the stock cooler on my old i5 but after a week I just bought an aftermarket one because the noise was unbearable.

If you plan to run heavy avx workloads for extended periods of time, I wouldn't use the stock cooler, though that goes for AMD as well. Though if the stock cooler was completely useless, they probably wouldn't ship it, but ...

pcpartpicker.com/list/bqMpD2

Would this be able to run Minecraft at 8k 60fps?

>gets mobo that supports 4-way sli
>only 2 GPUs
not a chance

Anyone has experiences with newegg international shipping? I live in Thailand and I'm buying a 1080ti + 1440p\144hz IPS monitor, so I have two choices:
1. Get everything on Thai Newegg, but with international shipping which costs a fuckload of money and no guarantees it will pass the customs without extra tax.
2. Get everything in local shops, but pay extra total $100 for GPU and extra $250 for the monitor, but have 3 years warranty and right to return with no questions asked within a month of purchase.

What the fuck do I do

Anyone interested in trying to piece together a gaming build for under $1000 aud, no graphics card or hard drives needed

Build me a system guys to play Persona 5 on PC
Budget 350$

Hey fellas, is this build good for 1080p (possibly will upgrade to 1440p) and some light video editing and music production?
ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Kwwmq

Thanks in advance

buy a used ps3 for $30

bam

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/nthMXP

i tried

if you're willing to throw an extra $100 at it for the better cpu cooler and more ram it would be well worth it

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/BkMpD2

ie.pcpartpicker.com/list/T3xrpG

for the extra 5 euro go for the m.2 ssd 512gb from intel
the m.2 absolutely kicks for video editing among other things

What are you doing pcbg console fag?
Kys

>What are you doing pcbg console fag?
How ironic.
This is the Wintendo console build thread.

why tomahawk instead of lets say B450M-PRO-VDH

Thanks a lot, didn't know that

>4K
>>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
It do?

I feel like those system requirements are really exaggerated. I have a mildly overclocked 4gb 960 and play most games at native 1440p. I have to drop the detail settings a bit, and I don't get a locked silky 60fps, but the game looks fantastic and feels smooth. I'd have to engage digitalfoundry-level autism and start pixel-peeking/frametime graphing to see any difference between 45fps at medium-high and 60fps high-ultra.

I'm finally getting a 4K monitor now and 2160p has roughly twice as many pixels as 1440p, so if I want to play native I figure I'll need something with around twice the power. That still just means a 980, which I can grab used for ~£150. Certainly not a 2080Ti lmao. Am I missing something?

this monitor I wanna buy supports freesync but I'm using an nvidia gpu. Should I care or not? Monitor is 1080p 75hz

Off topic, but does Thailand seriously have a lot of ladyboys?

What GPU do you have exactly? Unless it's really weak, you probably don't really need adaptive sync for 1080p, so it won't matter. Due to the widespread availability of freesync and the uncompetitiveness of AMD, I imagine quite a lot of people are doing the same thing.

1060 gtx. Should I just use standard vsync and get it over with?

Unless your case has extremely good airflow and your ambient temps are low, I hear a lot of people say it's very loud.
Though all you need is like a

Is there a slightly cheaper way to buy NAS drives in the UK? None of the major stores do voucher or multi-buy discounts. I used to take disks out of external drives but I have no idea if this is even possible any more with a WD Red 10TB.

Maybe I should just wait for Black Friday?

My suggestion would be to fire up your favourite game and try it with vsync on and off. It basically comes down to personal preference. I keep it off in most cases unless I'm consistently getting >60fps or I notice tearing.

Are you sure you can't stretch to a 1440p monitor, by the way? In my opinion the 1060 is slightly overkill for 1080p.

My neighbors are a couple of a french guy and a thai ladyboy. On the market where I buy food everyday, 3 ladyboys have their shops. And I don't even live in Pattaya, which is the central trap city of Thailand. It's pretty weird

>That's not the point in the list, though.
I interpret the list as saying "minimum GPU for a good experience at this resolution". Is it intended to say something else?

You don't even need to set it to low, you just need to dial back some of the placebo "ultimate" settings that look almost indistinguishable from high or even medium-high yet murder the framerate. Benchmarks are usually done with maxed settings, which often results in misleading FPS figures.

youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZsaavKNR8

>In my opinion the 1060 is slightly overkill for 1080p.
It's not. 1060 is the perfect card for 1080p, since it will run all games on high settings at 60fps, but when it comes to 1440p it will struggle to maintain 40-60 in most AAA titles. It's a huge leap in resources to go from 1080p to 1440p

It literally says
>for lower settings
for the lower GPUs.

>it will struggle to maintain 40-60
Only at unreasonable settings. See At sensible settings it's a perfect 1440p GPU and an overkill 1080p one.

Only once, only for 1080p, and only as an afterthought. It recommends a 1070Ti for 1440p. This is *extreme* overkill. That's a 4K GPU. Again, everyone seems to be ignoring the fact that very high/ultra settings no longer look completely different from medium/high, like they did 10 years ago. They look basically the same now, just with much worse performance. If you are operating within any kind of budget it no longer makes sense to play at ultra.

I comfortably play at 1440p on a fuckin 960, and the games look stunning and feel smooth. If I were new to PC gaming I would never imagine that would be the case from reading the OP.

What do you think guys? Will I be able to game on this?

pcpartpicker.com/list/rQpgZR

I’ve heard the 2600x has a good cooler, no?

The 2400G is impressive for what it is, but to be honest, given $400 to build a PC, I would buy a PS4 Pro instead. You should seriously consider that option.

Aren't X chips sold without box cooler? At least I think the first gen did

So too many frames causes screen tearing right? As a csgo player im trying tonfigure out if i should get a gsync monitor or not

This is a great video that explains this stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=uzp8z1i5-Hc

Oh. I dunno last year I'd recommend that the RX580 tended to be good at 1440p, at least at lower settings.
Some shill was really mad that the RX580 had more of an advantage at 1440p than 1080p and would spam every thread.
There's also not really room in the OP for it. People with a budget for a 1440p monitor usually have the budget for a $400 GPU, too.

Depends on games. Overwatch, Dota2, LoL, Rocket League, etc? Yes easily.
AAA games? Usually at low settings, and sometimes have to drop to 900p.

It's decent. It has a vapor chamber, at least. It runs the chip stock more than fine.
Nope, they changed that. The 2700X comes with quite a good one, especially. Though it's a bitch to install.

to make my 2400g better I can just go into my bios and set ram speeds to 3200 right? any downsides to this?

No, it's the mismatch. Too low or too high can both cause it.
It happens when the monitor's frame buffer gets replaced by a new one from the GPU when it's in the middle of displaying the previous frame already.
Monitors don't instantly replace one frame with another. They scan from the top to the bottom very quickly. Having a different frame starting to draw after it already started the last one makes a "tear".

For some reason, there's no specification which monitors list which show how quickly they change frames. It's not response time, that's how long it takes for the pixels to fully change color/brightness. But from what I've gathered, different panels display quicker than others so are less prone to tearing. But *sync makes this not a problem either way.

Different die qualities vary in how well they OC.
Yes you can try to OC. 1.4V is safe 1.5V can be safe if airflow is good.
I got my extremely shitty 2133 CL15-16-16 RAM overclocked to 2800 CL16-17-17 @ 1.4v. I could probably dial subtimings tighter, but I just don't care.
A good 2800 CL16 @ 1.2v kit you should be able to get to 3333 CL15 @ 1.5v unless board is ass.

ok finna give it a whirl hol up

brainlet here
is this correct?

such a brainlet i forgot the pic

Attached: 20180904_122818.jpg (4032x1960, 2.2M)

>1.460V
enjoy your housefire

>CPU Core Voltage 1.460V Auto
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Just watch a 5 minute tutorial on youtube, or google for the cookie cutter settings for your CPU

What's the lowest power consumption one could achieve with an old 65nm AMD Athlon X2 4850e undervolted, clocked at minimum speed?
Video output and most onboard ports disabled
1 low voltage DDR2 RAM module

Is under 10W possible or should I just junk it and get a Raspberry Pi?

Why do you have CPU voltage set to 1.46v...?

And for RAM, you need to go into advanced DRAM configuration.

>CPU Core Voltage Auto
never ever

Attached: 1528837913525.png (600x887, 854K)

Get a pi or a laptop with a low power consumtion set up

think I broke it
wont boot now and the cpu ez debug light turns off then on (once)
took the motherboard battery out and I think I reset the cmos but it didnt help

>1.46

Attached: 1493588435884.png (349x387, 265K)

Probably not, 1.46 for a short while should be survivable, unless you have absolute shit VRMs with zero cooling, in which case again, you'd hear popping or smell smoke.
1.55+ without proper cooling is the instant death region, in which you weren't.
I say give it a proper power cycle, and check the mobo booklet for what the beeps/lights mean.