Free internet

Recently my local town rolled out free broadband to everyone in the area.

>This is a monitored service.
>Your device information is recorded
>GDPR

What does this mean?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-04-09-49-38.png (1080x1920, 190K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication
thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/
youtube.com/watch?v=vsXMMT2CqqE
support.dnsimple.com/articles/what-is-certificate-authority/
certificate-transparency.org/what-is-ct
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Public_Key_Pinning
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It means tor+obfs4

ayyy
does user's country has free wifi?

You have wifi, fucking google it

remember, if anything's free, YOU'RE the product

Wait WTF? Ennis has free broadband? Why can't we have this shit in Galway?

Is it just free hotspots around the town?

No Jow Forums then. I'm not using it right now btw.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-04-09-53-28.png (1080x1920, 284K)

you need a VPN ASAP

They can't see what you do on Jow Forums because Jow Forums uses https, so the traffic is encrypted. The monitoring part is a scare tactic.

OP's country is Ireland, so no, but apparently his town has free WiFi.

I was surprised too. I got max of 8.5MB/s. Certainly the fastest WiFi I've used. Dunno how they did it. When I was in Galway for three years I used to use free WiFi outside some businesses although I can't remember which.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-04-09-59-03.png (1080x1920, 415K)

>Free
No such thing. You pay it with your taxes.

Use a vpn or tor and spoof you mac address

>implying I pay taxes

Use a VPN.
That's it.

Seriously, why does somebody without fail always bring this up in any political discussion about costs

Wifi? Muh fuckin taxes
Health care? Muh fuckin taxes
Employment? Muh fuckin taxes

Like everyone else said, if you are even slightly concerned about this use a VPN. ProtonVPN is free, and even though it might not be the best, it's probably good enough for your usecase.

Will this mean your passwords are recorded?

no. If the website uses https everything is encrypted and they cannot see anything. But use a VPN to be extra safe.

>ProtonVPN is free
Didn't Jow Forums flagged it as botnet?

just use httpseverywhere, they won't know what you're doing

Make sure to use dns over tls at the very least. Hopefully you are connecting to your router which then connects to the service. Most stuff is https now and using dns over tls with a large ttl local cache (ie: unbound as router dns server) will make a middle man see mostly nothing.

Cool, you're lucky.

dns over tls is the most pointless thing ever. When you connect to a website with https, the domain name is transmitted in cleartext as it has to do that in order for the server to find the right TLS cert, so DNS over TLS does absolutely nothing.

use a vpn

>the domain name is transmitted in cleartext
um, what?
you'll be sending the domain name over an encrypted connection to the dns server, and the dns server will send you back the ip address of the website you want to connect to over an encrypted connection

Attached: 1504558316960.jpg (498x374, 30K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

When you connect to a website with https, the very first thing your browser does is send the websites domain in clear text to the server, so that the website knows which https certificate to use.

So while the dns traffic is encrypted and they can't get the domain from that, once you connect to the website with https the domain is revealed

Use a VPN Socks5 for torrents.

>What's sslstrip

>Whats HSTS

Also something else sorta related. About a year ago I was at home without internet access and really needed to send an email. So I received €4 free (pay later) mobile credit by texting a special promotional code to my phone network. I used mobile data to send the email and everything was fine.

I continued to use mobile data assuming it would run out by itself. But weeks and months passed and it keeps going. It hasn't been cut off and I haven't received a warning. It appears I'm getting free 4G mobile data as well. I use it sparingly just in case, roughly 200MB a day for a year.

Glitch in the system?

It's important for many reasons. For one, you can't opt-out unless you move away from the jurisdiction. Otherwise you risk military force coming down on you when you don't pay up.
Second, you are by proxy paying companies and vendors you may otherwise not wish to do business with. This might resonate with you on a personal level.
Third, these programs are ran by committees who love to regulate and pass bylaws. As they get their foot in the door of industries, those industries turn to shit. (See energy utilities, telecommunications, healthcare, oil and petroleum, etc.)

This just scratches the surface.

T. Libertarian mobile faggot

Are you OP?

Something like this happened to me around 2004 with o2, back when everyone had nokia phones and the internet was crazy expensive and used GPRS. I had free internet for years. No idea why.

OK but this is just a free WiFI hotspot in the city that probably costs around 50euro a month to run. So calm your tits bro.

Yeah OP. Vodafone here. How did yours end? Did you receive a message or were you consulted at all?

I phone number was a bit buggy before this happened. I received an error message checking credit, couldn't use the dedicated MyVodafone app. That kind of thing. Years ago I entered a joke address in the Vodafone registration form online - like "Tits ave." And then I was in store consulting someone with a phone problem and they looked up my number and the fat bitch behind the counter wasn't amused. That's the only thing I can think of that might have changed this.

I'm afraid of downloading too much out of fear I'll have to pay an enormous bill at the end. I couldn't care less about the fucking company, finally getting some revenge for all their bullshit. I'm happy and anxious at the same time.

It just randomly stopped working. Never heard anything about it. I also went easy on it too just in case. Also my sim card was an unregistered pay-as-you-go, so I wasn't particularly worried about them charging me as it was fairly anonymous.

>what is MITM exploitation
How do you think comcast or whoever inserts those data overage warnings into your website traffic?

please use the word gratis instead of free. free =! gratis , free = libre

All that means is the rest of the populace is taking the hit for you. I'm not sure where my moral stance on this is yet. It's interesting to think about, seeing as how you didn't explicitly consent to this, assuming you live in the country/state/city you were born and reared in.

VPNs:
thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/
VPNs are not a silver bullet.

IDK much on the subject of DNS security when it comes to privacy leaks but it's probably worth looking into one of the niche DNS offerings. I think people are making distributed or blockchain DNS stuff now?

Well if it costs so little, why don't you run it instead, do it as a public good, and show us how it's done? While you're at it seeing as how it already costs so little, go ahead and deploy it for me in every major city across the world in order to get bulk vendor deals. When you're done that, go ahead and deploy the same thing in impoverished communities and countries so we can help improve their condition.
Exaggerated? Yes. But this is the point. This is why anything the government does is important to watch very careful and consider with forethought.

>"Tits ave."
fucking great, user.

>How do you think comcast or whoever inserts those data overage warnings into your website traffic?
They can only do that on HTTP pages, if they try to do it on a HTTPS page you get a big scary warning. This is the entire point of HTTPS.

Is ProtonVPN a botnet like that other dude said?

Is https everywhere on Android?

IDK, research and draw your own conclusions on that. I'm not a VPN provider expert.

False. Look up man in the middle. SSL/RSA/TLS is not immune from this.
This video does an OK but imperfect job explaining it, it falls apart in the last little bit and you can see the comments regarding this. (Specifically the comment thread started by Thomsa Synths)
youtube.com/watch?v=vsXMMT2CqqE

The core problem is "How do you transfer the public keys across a public network where Eve could be between both nodes on a core router and also be certain that those keys were not modified in-transit by Eve? How can you verify the keys without a sidechannel verification mechanism such as a phone call or snailmail or an in-person meeting?" The short answer is you can't.

Never in my life have I seen such an autistic post.

>MITM exploitation
Please learn how TLS works before you try and spread bullshit. Learn what the point of HTTPS is.

>VPNs are not a silver bullet.
Who the fuck ever said they were? complete misunderstanding on what a VPN is for.

>DNS security
This guy explained very well why this is complete and utter snake oil

>blockchain for DNS
just KYS. DNS IS decentralized. This meme of putting blockchains in everything needs to die. Blockchains have uses, but their uses are fairly limited. They're glorified linked lists.

>making slippery slope argument about free public wifi that most businesses operate because city council decided to operate one.

>How do you transfer the public keys across a public network where Eve could be between both nodes on a core router and also be certain that those keys were not modified in-transit by Eve? How can you verify the keys without a sidechannel verification mechanism such as a phone call or snailmail or an in-person meeting

It's called a certificate authority, a CT log and HKPK.

support.dnsimple.com/articles/what-is-certificate-authority/

certificate-transparency.org/what-is-ct

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Public_Key_Pinning

Just run a pi at home with openVPN (use pivpn for extremely easy setup) or even wireguard. Or even better something like an odroid or rock64 that's the same price but a lot more powerful.

That's assuming it's meant to replace 4G for free. If you're gonna be using this as an alternative to your main home connection then yeah you'll have to find a trustworthy paid VPN, which is rather hard. Mullvad is hella anonymous but that doesn't mean they can't keep logs in spite of what they say (and your IP isn't anonymous, obviously, regardless of how much they anonymise payments), PIA supposedly proved in court they have no logs but they're literally in the US so for all we know they're a front for the NSA or something and don't keep logs because they just transmit everything directly to the government, Nord may or may not be owned by a literal datamining company, Proton is ran by jews (and also may or may not be owned by the same company as Nord), etc. etc.

>How do you think comcast or whoever inserts those data overage warnings into your website traffic?
By you using http. They can't do it with https.

>Jow Forums uses https

Attached: https.png (314x37, 2K)

I had O2 broadband years ago (2011). 15GB monthly cap. 360KB/s speeds. 12 months minimum subscription. The modem cost like 70€. Once I exceeded by 5GB and had to pay like €100. Bloodthirsty bastards. Funny that they recklessly waste their precious limited bandwidth elsewhere due to their own incompetence. I think of the older people who get easily fucked due to lack of understanding and have to pay through the nose. To compound it all, everywhere shameless infuriating advertising on bus stops and billboards and such.

It does support HTTPS. Type the S into your URL. It is badly configured however and sometimes does not redirect.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 13.38.28.png (212x26, 10K)

lmao the uk is suck a fucking shithole

This is why you need HTTPS Everywhere.

We agree. This is a potatonigger thread.

but they know you visit Jow Forums

because it's true faggot, it shows for how wasteful your gov is

>tfw too stupid to understand any of this shit
>tfw it means you can't have privacy

That was just bile vomited out by some trailer trash who thinks that on every street corner in Europe there are muzzies chopping off heads

Please use the word nigger instead of African American.

OMG. Okay yes I had a moment of clarity. (Those are rare for me). Thanks for correcting my mistake and I'll stop doing that. I've been playing only minimally with cryptography lately and I've been mistaken on this point. Yes, using the built-in certs as root keys does alleviate the problem (assuming you can trust the CAs keys have not been tampered on their way into your installed system or the private keys disclosed to others such as government three-letters).

Back to some of >Who ever said they were?
No one ever says this but it's important we continue to say it so that people are not mislead. There are a lot of marketing companies out there trying to get more and more subscribers to these VPN services and it's important to tell users this is only one component of digital hygiene.

>Please learn how TLS works
You're right, sorry.

>DNS
That is why I tried not to say too much on the topic. No, DNS is not centralized, you're right. But it is hierarchical and that's still something we as enthusiasts should work on correcting. Same with the IP infrastructure and addressing, really.

will do, senpai. thanks for the (you)

RIP Terry Davis

Don't worry you're not alone.

Attached: IMG_20180901_233129.jpg (640x640, 30K)