Thoughts about KDE?

Thoughts about KDE?

Attached: billions.png (3000x3000, 142K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubu-1704-desktops&num=1
makeuseof.com/tag/best-lean-linux-desktop-environment-lxde-vs-xfce-vs-mate/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

B L O A T
L
O
A
T

K = Kino
D = Desu
E = Enviroment

i can't handle having too many features

>Krashes a lot

Fucking heavy mate. Use XFCE

I haven't seen Konqiposter in months. Do you think he got perma'd?

Absolutely based. Almost as lightweight as XFCE while having the eye candy of GNOME and more features than any other DE.
You are the equivalent of Wrong my dude

5 LOOKS great by default, unlike 4 which I didn't like, has a bug where the kernel goes panic every so often with my system so I can't use it properly, mayhap it's fixed by now...

It's not bad, but
>default UI is a clusterfuck
>UX is terrible
>kwallet is a cancer that should be removed

Love it as much as I love XFCE

Attached: 16a3f425d85fa8610c6f5d6e67cb45a5d756fcef04995f2286478fe7dddb1ea9.png (832x1392, 155K)

oh konsole finally loaded

>kde
>lightweight
Pick one

it used to be terrible in terms of stability but it's really solid now, was pleasantly surprised when i tried it again last month after having sworn it off 2 yrs ago.

>using an HDD

It's the best DE there is currently, if you want more stability (KDE is very stable these days btw) go with xfce, other than that, both KDE and xfce are both extremely lightweight DE's and both look beautiful.

>Bloat != Lots of features
>Bloat == inefficient garbage to do the same thing

>500MB of RAM used right after bootup with everything loaded and ready to use
???
stop repeating memes that used to be true a few years back

Which is literally not what KDE does

I don't really know what to think of it yet but for some reason whenever I'm using KDE I really want to have dick in my mouth & ass

dude it uses like 2kb more ram than the other desktop environments why would you use kde when more lightweight options exist

>GNOME
>eye candy
?????

Was using KDE Neon as my main OS through August. Just wiped it and installed Debian. Couldn't take the crashes anymore. Often it would hang just opening the terminal. Can't deny it's pretty, but it's unstable as fuck.

I need those 2kb for my hello worlds

KDE is pretty good. Its bloated, but if you have the space to spare, I say it's worth it.
Also don't use XFCE. It requires so much nigger rigging in order to make it look nice, and it's buggy as fuck.

Sauce or gtfo
Here's mine:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubu-1704-desktops&num=1
makeuseof.com/tag/best-lean-linux-desktop-environment-lxde-vs-xfce-vs-mate/
>inb4 screenshot
Not even remotely credible

yeah, the most important programs load very slowly and the ui is so much bloated
dolphin, konsole, gwenview, system settings, kate
these should start instantly

rip in piece windows

Attached: Screenshot_20180904_185041.png (1920x1080, 723K)

tried it once, every app took an hour to launch

anyone who says """"KDE IS BLOATED REEE"""" hasn't tried it recently, and as such their opinion should be discarded

Attached: brain1.png (225x225, 7K)

They start instantly here, maybe get a better computer.

In my case
Xfce - 340mb
KDE 850 (but 512mb in live CD or first start)
Cinnamon 900mb
Gnome 1.3 live cd with highly CPU usage also

They don't for you?

every DE is bloat desu, just pair your own WM and status bar

le using ram is bad meme

/thread

What happened to Konqi poster?

Attached: 1492565961.slychestnut_konqi_diapered.jpg (914x1280, 92K)

He tried xfce

BOMBO KLAA

Guess I can't give you a credible source anyway then. I'm running Plasma on Gentoo and it currently uses 641MB of RAM, that's with over 14 days of uptime.

it uses quite a bit...

Attached: Screenshot_20180904_115716.png (2560x1440, 344K)

Kek, BTFO'd
Pretty much what the benchmarks say ~1GB.
Meanwhile, xfce4 verifiably uses ~400MB in the same test. Kde confirmed bloat. If you like kde fine. But don't lie about it.

>Kek, BTFO'd
Nigger as if anyone is gonna do dumb shit like DE memory usage benchmarks on Gentoo. Point is Ubuntu is a shit distro.

and now without compositing

I like KDE, and I really dont have a problem with the overhead. I'm not trying to mine bitcoin, I'm just doing some programming and light gaming
>ubuntu is a shit distro
yes it is user, which is why I use debian
>xfce
XFCE needs so much bullshit in order to make it work properly, I just dont have the time or paitence to set it up. I just need something that looks nice and works.

forgot to attach this picture, my bad :/

Attached: Screenshot_20180904_121524.png (2560x1440, 378K)

I miss konqiposter.

These. Are you there, Konqiposter?

Shitty settings panel. It's a mess. It's what you get when programmers call the shots instead of talented UX people.

If you want a bloat free KDE experience I can't recommend KDE Neon enough, I boot into 350MB of RAM usage and don't see any evidence of lag or high CPU usage on my shitty 5 year old laptop

From the official site it doesn't seem I'll be able to run non KDE stuff well

You are holding it wrong

Attached: Screenshot_20180904_212646.png (830x650, 64K)

Daily reminder that anyone who says KDE is bloated has only used it on Debian or Ubuntu

Attached: os iq.png (1280x850, 180K)

BSD is garbage.

>xfce needs so much bullshit to work properly
why lie on the internet user? if you get tearing just download compton. i run a minimal debian netinstall with a minimal xfce and i dont even use compton. xfce just werks and is light af with under 300mib on boot

>XFCE needs so much bullshit in order to make it work properly
Literal fake news. If you're not patient enough to wait for 4.14 then all you need is Compton

where's the Y axis

KKKDE is the white man's desktop environment.

They say that as a disclaimer. It's based on ubuntu lts so it works just like Ubuntu. I wouldn't try to install a Gtk+ based DE but program will work fine

>doing absolutely nothing
>still takes 14.8% cpu usage
How many backdoors in loonix now?

Then literally why does it need to exist when kubuntu is already there

Is Elementary good? Does it just werks like ubuntu?

xfce on OpenBSD is the best option

Lts base for everything else but latest kde plasma DE

Just wish I could disable some of the useless features

>Krash
>Desktop
>Environment
An amateur software that crashes every 20 minitues.

Attached: kdead.jpg (600x422, 53K)

Yuh.
More stable and lightweight as well, despite having more gratuitous animations.
It's GOAT for those who like MacOHSEX

t. daily KDE Plasma user with a setup that resembles hardly any other default DE setup (so you know I'm not a biased Mac fag)

Attached: bff2e30.jpg (720x532, 64K)

No trim support, so SSDs literally start dying the moment it's installed

The Y axis is IQ
It should be noted that most people with IQs post 140 have mild to severe autism, thus can't function 70% properly in day to day life
thus post 140 is where the BSDs lie

The only reasonable full fat DE.
Actually earns its resource footprint with bells and whistles, unlike GNOME which somehow neither has neither good performance nor feature richness.

Which mirrors does it use to download packages? Ubuntu's?
Because I've been using Solus for several days, and since it uses its own special snowflake mirrors, updates can stop because "connection lost" and yesterday I can't install mpv because it can't connect.

Attached: 1527335794406.png (1076x779, 377K)

>try it on KDE Neon, completely unstable
>try it on Manjaro, just werks
What gives?

Neon isn't a disto, it's a tech demo. Shit ain't tested at all

Haha elementary is better than any 'buntu but Solus is superior to elementary because even better performance.
I recommend getting used to it friendo

Attached: debian suicide.png (200x300, 47K)

KDE in a nutshell

Attached: house-of-cards-763246_960_720-270x321.jpg (270x321, 21K)

I liked it but the more I learn about GNU/Linux environment the less I want all-in-one solutions and the more I want to configure each thing separately. Also, something does crash every so often but it appears it's just some process in the background that gets restarted and I wouldn't even know something crashed if a crash information window didn't pop up. I don't know, I'm actually a bit curious.

installed it with debian today and for some reason it didn't come with a file manager installed, it was using gwenview to display my folders.

Komfy.

More configurable, less opinionated and less bloated than gnome, at the cost of being somewhat less polished. Great on desktop, but the "unpolished" part grows to "unusable" on tablets, with most widgets and programs like Dolphin not supporting touch properly.

> not using yakuake

Kids these days should just use windows at this point.

Simply is hands down the best DE out there, Gnome shills need not apply

Has some really comfy elements to it, is quite performant, and is ridiculously functional/customizable, but the UI is fucking garbage, both from an aesthetic standpoint (no, theming doesn't save it, unlike pretty much every other DE--I'd argue the default theme is pretty good anyway) and a functionality standpoint (it's a cluttered, ugly, hard to navigate/use mess).

Absolutely nothing is aligned or symmetric, there often isn't a clear differentiation between UI elements nor any thought to how they're organized or grouped whatsoever, there's zero consistency, it's just eyeball vomit. Just as a visual demonstration, look at much how cleaner, better organized, and more functional the XFCE display settings menu is compared to the KDE one--and this is /hardly/ the most egregious example. To make matters worse, the start menu search function is the worst of any DE I've ever tried, so you can't even use that as a means of getting straight to whatever setting or program you want.

Outside of that, it isn't terribly polished or stable. Better than it used to be, yes, but not without issues. Although I install and upgrade all of my software via the terminal, it's worth noting that Discover is just completely broken and unusable. If I drag an icon onto the desktop, the graphics session breaks for a moment. Sometimes icons on the desktop will just refuse to move where you drag them, and require you to move them via the terminal or Dolphin (which, by the way, has a bug [albeit very rare] that causes data loss with very large file transfers. uncomfy). It wasn't a huge deal, but it was the only DE where my printer didn't justwerk out of the box. I could really go on and on about all of the little problems I've had with it.

This.

Attached: Screenshot_20180904_184539.png (1466x1011, 307K)

>all these people having less than 32GB of ram

serioisly tho, first it was kinda meh, now it's pretty komfy.
biggest problem I have is with the file manager. addons are garbage tier so stuff like iso mounting or samba share is better done via cli instead.
some of the settings and configuration options seem to be way too complicated for what you actually can change with them, so maybe they should hire a couple usability tester.
other than that, pretty good.

the thing with bundled software, or bloat as people like to call it here, is that you don't really know what solutions might already exist when going for minimal WM setup.
at least for me, I wrote a lot of scripts on my laptop with i3 because I didn't know e.g. there was a microsoft snippet replacement (already bundled in kde).
so especially for people who just wanna use the OS without babysitting it, KDE is pretty neat.

1.2 was the best version, everything after has been pure bloat.

I thought KDE was shit for the first two years I used Linux because I was using Ubuntu and Debian based distros, when I went full retard (arch) I had a much better time, and when I switched to manjaro, because I was tired of fixing arch once every two months, I found the perfect KDE distro. I don't know what it is about the internals of Manjaro that makes KDE so happy and buttery smooth but I can't use anything but KDE on top of arch based distros anymore (opensuse is okay too)

Protip, the first thing I do on fresh install is go to system settings, search animation speed, and raise it two notches, makes everything feel more snappy and responsive

me and fry guy like KDE ok, ty for your time

Attached: lift yr skinny penis to the sky.jpg (1280x800, 104K)

Which DE has, over everything else, the most aesthetic look out of the box? I'm thinking of Budgie but there's probably some other that looks better.
Aesthetic as in, consistency in appearance, nice fonts, good default theme(s) etc

You mean GayDE

Hello there

Attached: F4CA8371-C69C-4341-BA5B-4D8D71BD8FD6.jpg (750x1258, 526K)

>Outside of that, it isn't terribly polished or stable. Better than it used to be, yes, but not without issues. Although I install and upgrade all of my software via the terminal, it's worth noting that Discover is just completely broken and unusable.

This is why I'll never recommend KDE to anyone again, its a turd although a really shiny one.

or use windowmaker

Absolutely fuck KDE. Use XFCE or MATE.

Buggy. Bloated.

WHATS THIS COMMOTION OVER HERE ARE WE TALKING ABOUT DISTROS YOU GUYS OR WHAT I AM SURE LOVE TO TALK ABOUT DISTROS

>out of the box
Budgie.
>riced to hell and back
Xfce.

Cinnamon is still the best DE currently though.

Its nice but kinda buggy. Even then it is also heavy, I like it and prefer it as my desktop environment of choice, for now I'm using openbox, just werks™

test

Best and most functional DE for a personal computer. If you install KDE on a server, you're dumb as fuck though.

> krashes behind you
heh, nothing personal kid

Any good win xp/nt themes? Like xfce redmond?