/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

>Read
→ → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4 (embed)
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j (embed)
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt (embed)
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7 (embed)

last thread

Attached: bruce.jpg (1200x1200, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=baW6SkrelqM
ptpb.pw/6eRc
cs.drexel.edu/~introcs/Fa15/extras/Rounding/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do I use youtube-dl to download this video

youtube.com/watch?v=baW6SkrelqM

at 360p in mp4?

Reposting from two threads ago

So I was considering upgrading my storage from two drives (a 1TB HDD and a 500gb HDD) to something like a 250GB SSD and a 2 TB HDD, but what I do not quite get is that, if I wanted to use SSD as a cache for the 2 TB drive, do I want to install Win10 to the SSD, or do I install it to the 2 TB drive and use the SSD strictly only as cache?
Can I even install Win10 to SSD and use the remaining space as a Cache for the 2 TB drive?

You can check the available versions with
youtube-dl -F
and then use the format code with
youtube-dl -f
Alternatively you can use
youtube-dl -f "(mp4)[height=360]" "

owo means shit?

10x my good bro!

owo is emoticon which represents cow tits
uwu represents cow anus

can i change google assistant's hotword using some other software to trigger it??

the assistant doesn't enable that, but i really hate saying hey/ok google

Is it bad for my TN screen to stand in sunlight? It's on a wall next to a window and the sunlight reaches the screen in the evening.

I'm having a weird visual bug in Windows 7 and I'm not sure how to even Google it.
>At random times, windows begin to work at like half the usual framerate or less, animations and moving elements look extremely choppy
>This applies to all within the window
>Issue goes away when resizing the problematic window
>Doesn't seem to affect video games or the desktop itself
Any ideas?

Attached: 1337958899393.jpg (500x580, 125K)

Accidentally deleted a couple files from an USB drive, now i'm trying to bring them back via the attrib command in cmd but it says something about the volume system information header denying me access

What causes this and how to fix

Epic shop lol

is there anyway to see what my employment history looks like (like how an employer would see it if they did a "background check" with my SSN or whatever) ?

do they see like check stubs or what do they see? just wondering.

Could be wuauserv or dwm sperging out (they often do this on default configs), check the scheduler or try disabling them when this happens

i got a USB controller to play for honor. worked fine until yesterday, after i plugged it into my xbox 360. now it won't pick up any inputs. what do?

Wanted to test my RAM with memtest but during the loading phase when it was checking CPU etc, it got to "checking memory controller" (or something like that) and my PC shut down and powered back on, then loaded into Windows.
The only other issues I've noticed is that sometimes my GPU driver would crash (on two different cards, AMD and NVIDIA) in Chrome/Firefox and CSGO can throw a random BSOD.
Can all of this be caused by a bad seated RAM stick? I had to unplug everything a while ago and maybe I fucked up RAM modules.
Can't test it right now since I'm away from my PC...

what's the best nas

what do Jow Forumsentoomen write in their job application letters

I don't think that's public info (and check stubs should be confidential)
Only thing they see is what you give in your CV. They might contact references.
"Background check" is usually to see if you had a criminal past.

Is there a way to pass un-instantiated objects to a method in Java?
Say, I have an array declared as int[] foo;, how would I pass it to a function "by reference" so I can fill it in a method and it would retain those values in the main function? I can't instantite it as I don't know what size it'll be.
Shit like this is much easier in C.

I'll be attending a new uni starting next week and they're offering to let you skip PHP classes if you can pass a PHP test on the coming Monday. I do not know how to write PHP at all but I'm thinking about trying to learn the language before Monday so I can take the test. Are there any good resources for PHP or should I not bother with only a couple of days to learn?

whatever you learn in a few days will just be memorized bullshit. people do this type of stuff for cert tests (comptia, cisco, etc) and they're completely useless and end up losing their jobs because they have the cert but didnt actually learn it.

if youre going to be a developer you should learn php and taking the class would probably be the best way.

I'm studying for for networking and security, not to be a developer. We'll still get classes like Python next year which I'm interested in since it will supplement my skills quite nicely but I have no need for PHP at all since there are way better backend languages available if I ever wanted to write one. I just want to quickly get through PHP classes spending as little time as possible.

how do u connect red white and yellow ps2 cable to benq gw2270

Attached: 1535747585319.jpg (2048x1536, 553K)

Does anyone have a video capturing program to recommend that could replace this old ass copy of FRAPS I've been way too lazy to rid of?

I've been using OBS for some things, and it's worked super well for video and screen capturing but it sometimes has a shitfit in games.

>no loli OP
Shit thread

>I can't instantite it as I don't know what size it'll be
Use an ArrayList

>Cnile
That explains quite a lot

OBS
Set your config properly

Alrighty, I already have it installed anyway.

It might be cause of my shitty integrated graphics too. OBS would record fine but it shits the bed in framerate when I'm getting a faceful of particles.

>using integrated
>bitches when recording+encoding on the fly when graphically intense things happen
I WONDER WHY

Your encoding settings are too CPU demanding. If you use x264, then set the CPU usage preset to something faster. If you use crf values it won't result in a worse quality but a bigger output file.

Will do, thanks!

Is it time to upgrade from i5 4670k to newer CPU's ?
Or its better just to buy new GPU for new AAAs
FYI I play on 1080p

Attached: Screenshot_20180815-001742.jpg (978x1060, 433K)

There's a very slight buzzing sound coming from my 2010 Sony Bravia LCD TV, it's not enough to bother me but from what I understand there's supposed to be none, what could be the culprit? It's not the speaker since muting does nothing.

Coil whine most likely

Disregard, I turned the backlight up to the max and the buzz is gone

That's what I was afraid of initially but thankfully it isn't the case

Hi i'm building a PC, I already have a i7 processor and a 1050 ti msi Graphics card that i managed to scavenge for free, what you guys think are the best options as a mother board, hard disk and memory at a reasonable price?

How can I log why things are failing in a systemd unit file if nothing is printed to journalctl? Specifically, this is my unit file for rtorrent:
ptpb.pw/6eRc

Asking on IRC just gets me yelled at

Is it okay to for my graphics card to constantly be under 100% load at 70-75C? I can max out Monster Hunter World but I'm worried about putting my card under stress by doing so.

Wrong thread, you want /pcbg/ over this way

Can somebody explain to me what the options for ffmpeg's idet filter do? I get intl_thres. Anything above the threshold will be marked as interlaced. But I have no idea what the rest does and ffmpeg's documentation is bare-bones on the topic.

I just installed a second HDD on my PC for archiving.

My question is:
Is that secondary drive going to be powered 24/7 unless I change a setting somewhere?

I would ideally like my secondary drive to be powered down unless something is being read/written to it.

Advanced power options in windows 10 doesnt let you specify harddrives

Attached: 1533065295115.png (639x240, 20K)

Anyone got any opinions on the Steam/Linux thing? What's your experience been like? Is the download much bigger than original Steam?

Rainbow colored vertical bars and various artifacts randomly appearing all over the monitor means a dead video card right? The PC was working fine for years up until 30 minutes ago.

Card is a passively cooled Zotac GT210 connected over HDMI

>I would ideally like my secondary drive to be powered down unless something is being read/written to it.
Thats how the complex math and programs that very intelligent people(smarter then you and i) programmed to do exactly that

Want to convert some FLAC files to MP3. What recommended software to download?

is there an notepad++ like program for windows that boots faster? If not, how can i speed up n++?

Attached: dc9fc3b251252593e463c711a76d2592imagejpeg.jpg (1080x1259, 92K)

How does one kill the Java.

Attached: 1523915903025.gif (320x269, 826K)

Yeah it's called notepad

I mean but what if the os doesnt know its my secondary drive that I will use for archiving..
what if thinks I just want it running in tandem with my main HDD

AHHHHHHHHHHH

maybe windows has a way for loading programs into RAM on startup. this should speed up quite a bit

The HDD its self will park the head if it hasent been accessed in a while

What is systemd, why does everyone hate it, and which distros should I use to avoid it if needed?

Ok ill trust you user.
Thanks for the replies

Use ffmpeg or LAME directly.

_systemd_ is an init system, that is, a program that starts other programs. the _systemd project_, however, has a login management daemon, a journaling program, a way to resolve DNS, to configure the network, a good audio manager that jesd wergs (pulseaudio) and probably a ton of stuff I don't know about or can't recall right now. It uses binary configuration files and cache, which a lot of people that prefer to edit plain text config files dislike. people also dislike the fact the project grew way too big and that's somehow a bad thing because muh unix way. systemd provides useful interfaces for DEs and other stuff to work upon, not having to worry about what audio system you use, how services are enabled, how to configure/query the status of your network and such.
I don't think it's a bad thing myself. it works and does its job well so that's all that matters. if you don't like it, though, some distros that don't use it are Void, Devuan, Alpine, Gentoo (by default), Artix and a few others.

>buy a refurb Elitebook from 2012
>i7 2820QM @ 2.3GHz
>bitch gets hotter than the sun if even one core hits 100%
>replaced paste, bought external clip-on exhaust fan
>max temps dropped from 80c+ to 65c-ish
>better but still too hot imo

I've thought about replacing the heat sink assembly as I don't know wtf else to go after other than capping the processor via Power Options. Except I've never heard of heatsinks 'going bad' and I don't want throw $ away on a stupid fix that doesn't fix anything. Any thoughts on bringing temps down further?

Attached: 1320779591915.jpg (865x657, 241K)

Is there a mech keyboard that:
-is not TLK/60% meme
-is quiet
-has a decent palmrest
-is not ridiculously expensive
-is backlit
-has additional keys, be it media or otherwise remappable
I can easily find keyboards that fill all requirements but the last one. I need muh remappable keys for autohotkey.

65C? You're golden, no need to worry about anything.
Besides, other than putting liquid metal on it you probably can't do much more.

i'm trying to install windows 7 onto my thinkpad t420s, problem is the installation program doesn't list both of the ssd's i have installed on the thinkpad, what should i do? diskpart lists both of them, even the bios sees them

Attached: 20180726_200432.jpg (274x250, 21K)

How do I setup dual monitors when my 1080 only has one hdmi port

I tested it with some simple games and it worked fine. Didn't test it with resource heavy games yet though
>Is the download much bigger than original Steam?
Not that I've noticed

You need hdmi for both monitors? Buy an adapter for one of the other ports on the card. Dvi to hdmi is cheap and simple. Should cost about $10. Look closely to see if you need dvi-d or dvi-i before buying.

I have a dvi cord which came with my main monitor I just didnt know if there is any disadvantages to using dvi on one and hdmi on another

Alright. Donkeysmell, user.

Attached: 1409186789237.jpg (752x500, 102K)

Could a motherboard's battery be causing forced reboots/shutdowns? I was having that issue, then I took off the battery, let it rest for a while outside of the mobo, rubbed it a little and suddenly I didn't get those for a long time.

The card won't care. Just don't use hdmi and displayport together.

Attached: e45.png (680x499, 1.4M)

So if I shouldnt use them together, I should have one monitor hdmi and one monitor dvi?

Not likely, the battery is there only for the clock and to keep the BIOS powered when the system is off.

Pants on head retarded here
Trying to install fucking Ubuntu onto a VM but every time i go to run it i get a 'FATAL ERROR: No Bootable Medium Found'

I've got a fresh .iso of 18.04 and am using Oracle VM and have done all the setup correctly
Do I need to mount the .iso on a virtual disk before Oracle will run it?
Am I missing something completely simple here?

Are constructors called automatically at the end of local scope or do i have to call them?

Will having one hdmi monitor and one dvi monitor in a dual setup mess with performance and framrate on the hdmi monitor? Will the dvi monitor look super shitty?

No, you god damn idiot! Why would it look different?

Cause dvi I heard is shitty and no one uses it if they want a good fps in game or with any lag or screentearing they dont want

Defrag related questions:
Why does the defrag program that comes with Windows tell me my drives are 0% fragmented after analysis, but third party programs state otherwise?
What's the "best" third party defrag program?

DVI is better for gaming, it can reach 144hz, you cap out at 60hz on hdmi 2

Instead of "hearing" how about you do some "researching" before you post?

This is why this is the stupid question thread so I can act and be stupid

>DVI
>shit
DVI was far superior to HDMI until HDMI 1.4

this is beyond stupid though. Your question is answered with the simplest search query.
Come to this thread with specific research questions instead of "LOL HOW DO I"

How do I recover Photoshop's autosave temp files after the program deletes them?

How do I get a girlfriend? I have proper hygiene and keep myself well-groomed

My monitor uses hdmi 1.4, how good is it then?

I'm saying that if you use an hdmi port on your card, do not use a displayport port on the card for any of your other monitors. Hdmi and dvi? No problem. Displayport and dvi? Great, I'm doing that myself with 3 screens. The dvi port has an adapter that changes it to hdmi and that goes to a tv. One displayport goes to a displayport monitor, the other displayport port goes to a dvi adapter and then to a 22" monitor. The card's hdmi port isn't used.

It should be able to handle 1080p @ 120Hz or 4K @ 24Hz just fine.

Before that HDMI could barely carry 1080p @ 60Hz

Go to some kind of place where interaction with females is absolutely necessary like language or dancing classes. Do not act desperate under any circumstances, if the girl shows no interest in you move on to another girl. Most importantly don't give up if it doesn't work right away
t. femanon

Hey anonys - there was a thread maybe 6-8 months ago with a link to a commodity RF repeater for key fob replay attacks

There were two models, each one targeting a different frequency

Does anyone remember where these are? Believe or no, this is for a proof of concept / sec awareness demo at work - not for malicious intent

Attached: 1520927936954.gif (595x364, 3.67M)

tits or gtfo

Question: is the dpi scaling better in Windows 10? i'm currently on Win7, and it's unusable at 4K. Windows itself is kinda fine when adjusting the dpi, but most programs looks like shit and are clearly not though for such a resolution.

I stayed as much as I could on W7, but if W10 works better for 4K, then so be it. I'll migrate. Can anyone confirm?

Here, have a cute Blade in return

Attached: Dl--0phVAAA7Nbj.jpg orig.jpg (2507x3541, 1.03M)

It's better, but not great. Honestly I just keep this 4K display at 1080p unless im running a specific app/game that can manage the framerate/resolution well enough

how can i read/write to linux disks from my windows system?

Thanks. Well, I was already doing this, so I guess I'll stay that way. Too bad, as it really looks better in such a high res. Until I open some other programs.

I guess I'm fundamentally misunderstanding the purpose of Kodi, but...how do I use it?
I installed in my rPi. My tv is in the same network as the pi. What do I do now?
I expected it to work like a webserver of sorts, but every guide says "Install Kodi. You should be looking at the Home Screen now." and I'm staring at the SSH console like I'm stupid.

Why is excel so bad at math?
It always fucks up when it should give a zero answer.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 7.28.35 am.png (130x121, 15K)

cs.drexel.edu/~introcs/Fa15/extras/Rounding/index.html

fyi, if you need something really tiny, there are actually formats lower than 360p/mp4, they also still provide 320x180 and 176x144 3gp video
also, if you intend to extract the audio, youtube provides audio streams separate to the video, so you can download just the audio by itself with youtube-dl (-f bestaudio)

My GPU has one HDMI output.

I have two monitors each with an HDMI input.

What equipment do I need to display two different images from my computer on each monitor?

I can't figure out what type of splitter I need that will allow my computer to recognize that there are two different monitors.

None.
You use the dvi/dsub connector on your gfx card

any know how to connect ps2 to dvi