Rust is the future

Prove me wrong.

Attached: Rust_programming_language_black_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 402K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uZgbKrDEzAs
github.com/redox-os/redox
redox-os.org/
github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep
github.com/servo/servo
pijul.org/
github.com/tikv/tikv
github.com/google/xi-editor
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r16&hw=ph&test=db
blog.burntsushi.net/ripgrep/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

ok then.

Attached: 1*gX8C_mP0eETkwYjdCH16qQ.png (1207x826, 38K)

His statement still applies, we don't see the methodology or process behind this chart. It could be pure conjecture or bias.

Does your Y-axis have two measurements?
Was this chart made in Excel for Niggers?

>as fast as C
kek

You've just encoded your opinion into a chart. How about objectively comparing Rust to other languages?

I like my languages with at least four controls, but not greater than 24 safeties.

Why did you replace Ada for rush in that image, faggot?

Rust is in no way "more safe" than Java.

>Rust is the future
What's been built with Rust?

It is if they used iron instead of fucking steel.
I warned them about tetanus, but did they listen?

>has null references

>we call null None so it clearly is not the same thing!

> brainlet doesn't understand type systems

What a shock.

That's only a safety issue in Java in the same way "unwrap" is a safety issue in Rust: ie, it isn't.

It's not the same thing tho, Rust has no null equivalent, None is completely different.

>it's not the same thing! it's not the same thing! it's not the same thing!

Stop embarrassing yourself, m8.

More dismissive posts. That's the only way to get everyone to understand how amazing Rust is. Hype.

To get the equivalent safety in Java you'd have to check that every single reference is non-null before every single read of that reference's data which wouldn't even be thread safe due to rampant mutability and reflection.

Ie, Java is just like if you .unwrap every Option in Rust.

Because storing the reference in a local variable if you suspect that other thread would modify it, and then checking, is too simple for a sophisticated rust programmer like you, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=uZgbKrDEzAs

So now not only do you have to check if the references are non-null before every read you have to pay the cost of a mutex to do so in a thread safe way. You're not very smart.

I assign the reference to a local variable, check the local variable to be null, and then proceed to work with that local variable. Please go ahead and explain why mutex is needed.

> Please go ahead and explain why mutex is needed.

No, I'm not going to explain the absolute basics of Java references to you.

github.com/redox-os/redox

I never expected anything else.
At least you learned that Java's reference assignment is atomic.

Attached: i_can_science.png (1207x826, 35K)

Java programmers are so fucking stupid.

Even if you make it past the burden of the borrow checker, and the syntax which looks like C++ had an even uglier child, the insane SJW community will make sure it will die.

We have a core lead who wants to create a tech antifa, and a community lead who hates men, particularly white men, it's clear what type of people this language attracts.

Doesn't sound so convincing when you have a rust drone in the thread who doesn't even understand what mutexes are for.

He said built not "software that will forever be in a permanent state of "Coming Soon""

> redox-os.org/
> Server: Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)
HAHAHAHAHA

Don't need to. 10 years, and no inroads. Reality is proving you wrong.

This is way more accurate than the faggraph OP posted.

Java doesn't leak memory if you get a reference cycle.

> Java moron doesn't realize that Java's implementation of method local variables leaks outside of the method and can be externally mutated

>local variables leak outside methods in java
proof please

true, it's faster

>true, it's faster
kek

java exists

>Java is the future
What is this, 1998?

Unironic xD

github.com/BurntSushi/ripgrep
github.com/servo/servo
pijul.org/
github.com/tikv/tikv
github.com/google/xi-editor

>Xi Editor
>(pronounced "Zigh")
>5000 pages of design goals and aesthetic considerations
>it's more rudimentary than notepad
Rustilicious.

> 2018
> installing any version of Java

joke's on you, all major websites use java in the backend

Java unironically is the future
JDK 11 has a GC that can handle terabytes of garbage collection within 4ms
GraalVM delivers another perfomance boost and makes fast startups possible
the JVM is already the best thing to run serverside if you want performance, Amazon, Netflix, Google, Alibaba, most major banks, IBM, Mastercard, Visa all heavily depend on it, and it's only getting better.

There just isn't anything better for large scale systems.

techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r16&hw=ph&test=db

>java is #1 in 4/6 benchmarks and top 5 in the other two

how can others even compete

>this confuses and infuriates the gopher

So let's break this down.
* A version of a battle tested and well proven coreutil that will be slower and less portable than the original. Pretty useless desu
* Servo is actually neat, it's fast but that's just because mozilla were able to strip out all the cruft and write something new. It could very probably be more performant if written in C or C++ but whatever.
* An unproven version control system that wont replace git because it doesn't have the inertia to replace something that Just Werks in 99% of cases.
* I don't know enough to comment on this one.
* Another text editor, because we don't already have enough what with ed, vi, vim, neovim, emacs, vscode, atom and the 10001 other alternatives. What does this provide over emacs or vi? Because to me this looks relativity useless for anyone that doesn't just want to virtue signal how hipster they are for using an editor written in rust.
Come shill when the language actually has projects that do stuff that matters. Even haskell, "one of the most useless languages in the world", has shit like pandoc.

>So let's break this down.
>* A version of a battle tested and well proven coreutil that will be slower and less portable than the original. Pretty useless desu
It is unequivocally faster. blog.burntsushi.net/ripgrep/

I'll personally attempt to reproduce any reasonable benchmark you propose if you test it yourself against GNU grep using a properly compiled version of ripgrep and careful benchmarking practices and find that grep is faster, and I'll file a ripgrep issue and follow up on it personally.

>* Servo is actually neat, it's fast but that's just because mozilla were able to strip out all the cruft and write something new. It could very probably be more performant if written in C or C++ but whatever.
I didn't say something like Servo could only have been written in Rust, but it's unarguably a large, complex, and increasingly successful project written in Rust.

>* An unproven version control system that wont replace git because it doesn't have the inertia to replace something that Just Werks in 99% of cases.
It's just a neat application using Rust. I think their ideas are sound and the software features enable some useful workflows that are impractical with other VCS without extensive external tooling. I did my undergrad senior thesis on a version control system, the area interests me heavily.

>* Another text editor, because we don't already have enough what with ed, vi, vim, neovim, emacs, vscode, atom and the 10001 other alternatives. What does this provide over emacs or vi? Because to me this looks relativity useless for anyone that doesn't just want to virtue signal how hipster they are for using an editor written in rust.
It's just supposed to be a fast, simple, extensible text editor. Minimal but extensible text editors with clear and planned APIs are great for integration with UI toolkits and generally writing specialized text editors. If it gets a good ecosystem I could see myself using it for editing.

>Come shill when the language actually has projects that do stuff that matters. Even haskell, "one of the most useless languages in the world", has shit like pandoc.
And also, re: you accusing me of being a shill, these are my posts:
I use Rust myself and like the language a lot, but I'm not delusional. I'm fully aware of the language's strengths and weaknesses.