Rogue pi hosts

I’ve been contemplating turning some of my idle raspberry pi‘s into ssh jump hosts at public locations with free WiFi such as shopping malls, libraries or hotels. While the software part is more or less straight forward, the physicals provide a bit of a challenge. For instance, how do you handle power supply, what about camouflage, and what about connecting to the pi if the free wifi access drops/signs you out and you can’t get immediate physical access to the pi? Is the pi even the right platform?

Share your thoughts, experiences or ideas Jow Forums

Attached: E051D35C-9661-454F-B7CB-00B35C1AC191.png (1000x890, 120K)

underclock a raspberry pi zero w the most you can and put it with a 25ah battery bank, fastly change the battery each week with a already charged one (so you need 2 power banks)

raspberrys are shit in power consuption, the consume a lot for the power they have, i just want an alternative with better power consuption to do shit like OP

Sounds like a plan. Or would you go with a completely different platform due to shit-tier power consumption levels of the pi?

Also, what’s the idea on a dealing with the fact that lots of free WiFi hotspots drop you after X hours? I guess you could lean toward a second, maintenances channel via gsm that calls home every once in a while (based on the re-login pattern forced by the WiFi network) but that would require additional components and a gsm SIM card.

i would go with a platform with better power consuption but there isnt a lot to choose from

make a script that restarts the pi and automatically reconnect when it restarts

That would mean you’d potentially need to tailor the script to each location, since depending on the WiFi sign-up/connect mechanism you’ll have to parse a web page and provide some data such as default passwords or email addresses etc.

I have done this, kind of
>map network
>get router admin access
>access a few local machines by simple injections on unpatched SMB
>the ports are ofc wide open
>login as root, change fw rules on targeted machine and router
>ssh to it from home, through any other machine like it (or my VPS)
>essentially become a shadow admin for the system
>the devices are now actually safer with updated software on the win machines, and updated firmware on the routers
>even disabled WPA1 and no one has tried to change it

anyway this works in several cafes with zero security. you can of course also route all the customers traffic through whatever. if you're interested in an OSCP cert then you can look at this as practice for the virtual labs. enumeration and all that jazz

Yeah but that’s a different scenario. Legally speaking you’re breaking into systems, whereas with the pi solution you merely steal a service. Then again, may not matter that much depending the jurisdiction you’re in.

hide it behind the fire suppression controls and spice into the power.

Attached: d90cad78-3757-484e-9f90-fc3d8f98e419..jpg (1920x1080, 433K)

Pi's can be powered by a USB android charging cord. Built in wifi on Pi 3. Plug it into the back of any TV or digital signage with a command strip and no one will ever see that thing.

if you put it in a clean looking case no one will question it even if they do see it. if you use a battery pack or something on the other hand you're setting yourself up to get arrested if they do find it.

another good option is finding a PC you can open, sticking the pi in the case, and connecting it to usb power with a 4-pin header to female adapter.

Attached: 710mNra9RsL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 70K)

Even a Pi Zero only lasts a couple of days 2000mAh battery. Particuarly under heavy use.

On this line: the emergency lighting systems in most buildings run a 12v battery backed power. There’s space inside most for a Pi. Open one up and insert device. Wear a hard hat and carry a ladder and tell whoever asks that you’re checking the emergency lights or replacing the batteries. Most ppl won’t bat an eye at places like the mall bc they don’t know who owns the building or who services what.

Put it in a sealed box with a solar panel on top and leave it in a roof.

that's a great idea. i would go as far to include a battery that will keep the pi running while the machine is turned off. gotta make sure that uptime is 99.9 percent after all.

>fastly change

>Ew must escapes from here fastly!
>But Jim was already blown to smitheroons.

pineapple wifi

OR
pay 5$ a month for a vpn like a normal person lel xddd