Any one a PSU expert?

so ive been using a 550w antec PSU since 2006 or some thing its time to upgrade. I want a SFX psu (not interested in SFX-L or ATX at all) would be interested in FlexATX or some weird server format similar size to SFX if a bit longer...

any way one thing I noticed with modern PSU is some just list a single wattage while others list like 650w and then say 700w (max) this makes me really sus about them and make me think the ones that don't list a max are really just 500w psu branded as 600-650w max and that's super deceptive and dumb.

does any one know enough about the documentation they do give to work out what would be best to get. I don't want to overpay because you can get small SFX/flexATX sized psu from china for like 100$ less than the western brands and they are gold80 rated and from servers (noisy but I can change fan).

what psu should I get here is a spreadsheet of some tinyurl com/y9tyhkyu

also I understand SFX and ITX builds are a meme but its the only size psu I want and will just run it with a adaptor in a normal ATX case if small build is too hot.

plan to use it with a 9900k oc to max so maybe 1.3/1.4v and a top end gpu like 250/300w and overclocked as well.

what do I need and what should I get?

Attached: Corsair-SF600-ATX.jpg (1200x900, 147K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gew_dmjwp8o&feature=youtu.be&t=6m9s
corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/corsair-psu-spec-table.pdf
jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=380
silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=670&area=en
silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=731
item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-1074877379.7.3f9422b5NJzjTj&id=534361786274
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read the fucking sticker on the side of the PSU, it tells you the ratings

Also, search the catalog next time.

also plan to run it with 2x 2.5inch drives prob 5200rpm or what ever if that adds any significant drain. only other things in system will be maybe 2-3 120mm fans 2ssd and maybe a pci sound card via a m.2 adaptor.. if that matters.

yes but the sticker isn't true because some only say one rating while others say 500w then manual says 700w (max) doesn't that mean the other 500w psu could really be 400w psu and the sticker is just the MAX rating.

read what I fucking originally typed you sperg.

it is implied you retarded fuck.

THE STICKER IS THE TRUE MAX WATTAGE

Fucking neck yourself you brainlet faggot.

well it wasn't in the past you fucking retard and some modern PSU have sticker for 650w and then say 700w max on the box while others don't list max at all.

that's obviously deceptive shit.

by box I mean in manual online spec sheet. the sticker doesn mean max for every brand their is a diference between rated wattage and max wattage. my question is how do I work this out for myself instead of being a sperg like you and buying a 600-700w psu that's really a 450-500w psu rebranded. because they moved the goal posts.

so you want a loli psu?

just ignore the form factor I want best SFX psu I can get for lowest price and I feel the 600-650w models might be suss and just rebranded 500w ones "rated at max not actual rating"

also want to know how much power ill need for my described components OC'd/.

obviously with some models there is a bit of extra headroom, that doesn't mean the models that don't advertise that extra wattage headroom are over-reporting their rated wattage. I'm fairly certain on certified electronic equipment that's several kinds of illegal.

hmm fair point but it seems dodgy that some have a Max rating higher than their sticker value (tends to be the top end ones) and the lower end ones don't list max at all ;'/

also I guess my question is will I need 650+ wat.

the 20$ cheap 500w Chinese ones say they are rated at 650max.

how much power would a overclocked 9900k and overclocked 2080ti or theoretical intel or AMD card draw?

I ldon't suppose someone wants to explain to him how PSU works? Like how it draws wattage from the wall then converts it at a loss, hence gold/silver/bronze/etc?

>also want to know how much power ill need for my described components OC'd/.
Likely in the ~500w range

you should be aiming for 700w to give yourself some headroom

jay two cents built a ryzen(I assume 7) and 1080ti build with a 500w Silverstone gold80 psu and it would shutdown. thous parts don't even add up to 500w makes me think Silverstone really lie about their power and that's 500w mat and its really a 350w psu or some thing. ;/

I just don't want to spend 100$ extra on a 600-700w psu and find out its really a 500w one I could get for 20$.

your just some buthurt user who wants to ignore what im saying because you don't even want to entertain the idea that your 750w psu or what ever is really its "max" rating and its really only rated for 600w or some thing. I don't care about gold/silver/bronze/platinum etc that shit is pointless and not a "exclusive" feature you can literally get 20$ psu that are gold80 that they use in servers. my point is I think these brands might be lieing about their ratings listing max rating on side of psu not rated rating and basically charging you 100$ extra for a larger fan and nice cables.

>500w one I could get for 20$.

Why do you want a literal house fire ??

You stupid fucking dumbass.

You're going to spend over $1,000 on the GPU
and then who knows how much on the CPU since the price isnt released yet and you're whining about the PSU.

Like fucking shit already, the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750w and 850w are both under $100 and you keep making these idiot posts ?

>you can literally get 20$ psu that are gold80 that they use in servers.
just stop talking already.

im talking about SFX psu. and no 500w Chinese ones are made for servers and 80gold rated and not "shit" they are literally made for Microsoft and shit and are rated at like 486w and 650w max or some shit.

they are safer than these other shit brands they just noisy you idiot. Silverstone and coursair shit is made in china too and the fact they made for consumers and not literally the google or Microsoft IT department makes me think they are prob way more unsafe because that would lead them to lie about specs.

how can a 500w corsair psu not run a ryzen7 and 1080ti and shutdown in games. that's bullshit they are obviously lieing about the specs.

for one you are recommending me ATX psu and your recommending me EVGA the most bullshit brand ever. modern psu don't even burn down they just shut off. and if you think a EVGA psu is more stable than one google and Microsoft use for their cloud your a fucking idiot

correction it was a 500w Silverstone gold rated SFX psu that couldn't run the 1080ti. that's utter bullshit at stock clocks a ryzen7 and 1080ti doesn't use 500w its obviously a 350W psu branded as 500w (max) or some bullshit. fuck that brand.

like I trust some random server brand cpu company that rates their PSU to the 3rd digit of 486wats with a 650max than these gamer brands

sure nvidia says you need a 600w psu for a 1080ti but I assume they are aware of the bullshit these Black gamer psu brands pull.

I have a strong suspition that all the 650-850w gamer psus are really 400-600wat psus rated to the absolute extream.

like the server 486w one is designed to run dual zeons and shit.

maybe the 1000-1600w gamer psus are real but they are designed for LN2 cooling and shit.

I just want to know what to get. im more than happy buying a 650-700w coursair or Silverstone or seasonic or some shit SFX psu but if it shutsdown when I overclock shit because its really only a 500w with a 650-700w max ill be pissed.

>1080ti doesn't use 500w its obviously a 350W psu branded as 500w (max) or some bullshit. fuck that brand.

yeah obviously that is what happened..

youtube.com/watch?v=gew_dmjwp8o&feature=youtu.be&t=6m9s

Someone just looked at TDP numbers and went with a bare minimum PSU without taking into account any variance, eg the 1080ti might briefly pull in 300w
Plus of course all the other components need power too.

Is it any wonder in *some* games the system would shut down and others it was fine ?

>I have a strong suspition that all the 650-850w gamer psus are really 400-600wat psus rated to the absolute extream.
honestly just kill yourself

even if the 1080ti and ryzen7 was overclocked they wouldn't pull 500w dude.

you just have a 750-850w gamer psu and don't even want to entertain the question im asking.

corsair 750gold full modular
Stop cheaping out on psus nigger

ok so the other posters in this thread are partially right. There is omitted information on a PSU. The rating are the max wattage of the PSU, but those ratings are for spikes only. There is another value called max continuous that just isnt available for most, and there are some brands that lie about their max wattage anyway.

I own a Coolmax CUQ-1350B 1350W unit that is just a rebranded 1200W one. Don't trust the numbers unless you are using a AAA brand, because you just cant hold them to it.

Also keep in mind, PSUs are not efficient below 50% load and not above 70%. you should look up the 80 ratings, as they explain a specific efficiency rating, or you may find your PSU getting hot and worn faster than youd expect. Its the cause of many stupid gamer PSU failures because they do zero research beforehand.

>12 year old PSU
>9900k OC to max
>SFX for no reason except "I want to"
>incapable of using a search engine or the catalog
>using 5400 RPM drives in 2018
>using laptop hard drives in a desktop
>dedicated sound card that will take up what will likely be your only M.2 port

Go be a retard somewhere else.

Here's a corsair spec sheet for you, it contains a fairly decent amount of information:
corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/corsair-psu-spec-table.pdf

May I point out that maximum gaymen builds won't really do all that much more for games that anyhow are virtually all going to target 4 year old midrange PC and consoles? Never mind that rare guy that completely kicks your ass online to the point you feel you can't get any shot in before you're dead is probably doing low settings anyhow.

1080 Ti can pull 330W peak with default settings, the Ryzen part can pull ~115W peak at stock clocks and voltages. That's nearly 450W without accounting for fans, drives, motherboard, memory, USB devices, or anything else. If you haven't figured it out already, Jayztwocents is a moron.

Do you think EVGA or Corsair manufacture their PSUs? EVGA G2/G3 PSUs are rebadged Superflower units, and Superflower makes good PSUs. Read some fucking reviews before you go around loudly declaring to the world that you're a fucking moron who knows absolutely nothing about anything.

obviously I want new PSU because mine is 12 years old im not planning to run a 9900k on it. its just running a 7600k and 980 both not overclocked atm.

don't see whats wrong with wanting SFX or FlexATX I don't plan on using this Psu for sli.

just want a psu that will last me another 10years.

when your knowlage of PSU is just "its good" thanks for your input and fuck off.

I do have a newer 650w or some thing but it was making coil wine so I switch to the 550w antec 16months ago.

the 550w antec has prob only been used for like hmm. 6 years total. its not actually been using for 12years strait.

The problem with OP is that he watched one video where jayztwocents put slightly too much load on the PSU and then decided to form his entire opinion that PSU makers must be lying to consumers and obviously selling 350w PSU's labeled as 500w ones.

There is no hope for OP since he just jumped to that conclusion (even tho the video doesnt say anything like that) and is just sticking to his guns about it.
he barely only knows enough about PSU's to tell you to fuck off when you try to prove him wrong.

we are being trolled good, or OP is a moron that likes to talk about buying a server grade PSU for $20

You're looking for a niche form factor PSU for no reason at all. There is no reason you need a SFX PSU unless you're building in a tiny case, which I don't believe is the case if you're going to be overclocking on a 9900k.

jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=380

Read it, then fuck off. Go be a retard somewhere else.

>There is no hope for OP
I had some hope, ergo I posted the spec sheet.

But yea, I've seen a lot of people insist on ridiculous shit. Those that can learn will learn if given the correct numbers, the rest I guess panics and goes with maximum affordable expense with the most expensive armored parts to avoid "problems".

I don't know what to buy im just asking people just came in here and sperged that their 800w gamer psus are flawless and I don't know shit.

I just want some one to tell me what 12v rail I need to run a 9900k overclocked and a 2080ti or theoretical AMD or Intel maybe 300tdp card? is that that hard.

Did you see the spec sheet for the 9900k that says 95W TDP? Real power usage tests are still happening, but just take that some 20-50% extra as a guess for what it might need. Then take the Corsair PSU spec sheet. Notice anything?

I don't think we have real numbers for the 2080Ti yet either, but I figure the leaked recommendation of a "650W" PSU [not for it alone, for a typical gaming system] might be accurate, too. Though just wait for a bunch of real measurements, eh.

> is that that hard
Seems that way.

silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=670&area=en
or this silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=731

its SFX like you want and its 700 w/ 800w

You insisting on SFX and then picking components that require a large wattage PSU severely limits your choices.

50 amps . i have a corsair ax 760 , and on the max output is 756watt

I can go SFX-L also I think. think its worth getting the L size just for 100 more wat and 8 more amps?

im also wondering if running 2x server PSU one for CPU one for GPU would give better how many amps and wats would the GPU/CPU use overclocked.

I notice you say 50amps for 2080ti and 9900k overclocked.

but whats the split

I could get 36amp psu for each component rather than 58-66amp split between them.

which would be better? splitting the psu is a lot cheaper.

item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c.w4004-1074877379.7.3f9422b5NJzjTj&id=534361786274

you're an idiot

its 38amp actually and 450w max 12v rail. would that be better one for motherboard and one for GPU than 792w combined 12v rail and 66amps?

if GPU use way more wat and amp than CPU overclocked maybe bad idea but just wondering. I can also use special riser cable that doesn't power GPU via motherboard pcie slot at all so it wont have like "split power"

im just asking formulate a fucking argument.

if 38ams and 450w on 12v isn't enough for GPU alone and GPU use way more than CPU overclocked just say so don't just say "its dumb" because its 150$ cheaper than your stupid PSU. running 2x psu isn't unsafe it just wont work if the power load is like 20/80 cpu/gpu split if you don't know fuck off

>150$ cheaper than your stupid PSU.
Listen to how dumb you sound.

You keep talking about a 9900k + 2080ti but balk at spending money for a psu ?

retard

dude thous 2 server PSUs have the exact same components as the 800w SFX-L Silverstone you can take the top off them and put a 120mm fan on them.

your essentially paying Silverstone 200$ to mount a 120mm fan.

its not a retarded question. if 450w 38amps is more than enough for max overclocked 2080ti on air cooling then they literally will be better.

your just a retard that thinks a fan and black case and some flat cables is worth 200$ more.

Why are you here ? go and order two of them.

as far as I can tell overclocked 1080ti takes like 260w from psu and 40w from motherboard. I can use cable so it doesn't take any thing from motherboard thats 300w from psu I still have 150w extra then for gpu which should be fine for 2080ti or any retarded super high wat AMD or Intel GPU.

I just have to work out amps now is 38amps enough.

if 38amps for CPU and 38amps for GPU is plenty for any thing isn't that better than 33amps for each if they use the same amount of amps?

its a simple fucking question. if overclocked 9900k use like 16amps and overclocked 2080ti uses 50amps its obviously not suitable but im just asking if you don't know the answer just fuck off.

obviously you're a very smart guy, why even ask us dumb-dumbs.

You should just order those two 1U PSUs

your just a sad fuck with a 250$ psu. fuck off.

apparently 980ti only uses 20amps so 38 amps should be plenty for 2080ti.

but I want some one els opinion

nah its not enough man

heres a fresh opinion this thread is an abortion pls delete to make room for frogs & anoiome

you would need a 450TDP card to use 38amps you idiot.

just to be safe, you can't trust the ratings on the stickers

yer well rackable systems is a big brand I don't think they are forged items. they are used thou and their data sheet is from 2009 so they might only have 3years of life left they are rated for 100.000hours.

obvoiously could be a retarded choice just ligit wondering could prob get brand new ones instead. I guess power consistency is some thing els to consider.

The Corsair HX1000W in my server was purchased in 2008 and has been running every day for 10 years. That PSU is the gold standard that Corsair now fucking struggles to meet.

they rated for 12years 24/7 use I would replace it in 2020.