*crack*

*crack*
Listen kids, now *that* was good UI design. They don't make them like that anymore.
*Sips*

Attached: NeXTSTEP.UI.jpg (738x477, 81K)

They don't, my friend. They don't.

Attached: 1517083438861.jpg (1024x1024, 221K)

Howcome noone looks at Afterstep.

*CRACK*

Now THAT was a windowmanager!!

Attached: boomboomboomboom I want you in my room.jpg (225x225, 11K)

>windowmaker's last stable release was last year
they literally do make them like that still

I've never found a reason to stop using windowmaker.

The vertical menu bar and tear-off submenus always felt like they were just NeXT's way of avoiding a look-and-feel copyright lawsuit from Apple, rather than an attempt at improving upon the Mac OS's own menu bar. They waste more screen space and are more visually confusing.

>They waste more screen space and are more visually confusing.
same goes for windowmaker, that's why i won't use it on my X220.

>tfw WindowMaker is just a WM and programs don't follow NeXT style

>crack
>sips
Fuck off you underage cunt

You can either use a well supported desktop environment like KDE or Gnome and use the applications they provide, or you can fork those applications and rewrite parts of them with the graphical toolkit of your choice.

It's shit but I'd liked to see the 1st era of Operating Systems and Computers for consumers.

It had to be hella fun shitprogramming around on some primitive videogames or selling cracked phone numbers like Kim Dotcom.

>the 1st era of Operating Systems and Computers for consumers.

Monochromatic DOS command lines running off a cassette or floppy disk, and maybe a BASIC interpreter.

I still use Windowmaker on my headless server, for VNC and X forwarded sessions. It's solid and lightweight, which is good because it's on a really low end machine.

stating the obvious but macos still has the dock, the three pane file browser thing and the inspector (well last time i used it)

niceee

There's nothing good about this interface. Most of those obnoxious widgets could be replaced with a single elegant taskbar.

The really sad thing is that take widows 95. It used maybe 32mb ram (sweet spot). Ok, back then you did a lot of the same shit you do now. Internet,office work,e-mail,etc. Games, hell, even UT 1999 and Quake 3 would run under 9x w/128mb ram no problems. But the hardware was so much less powerful and bloated and shit as it is now. Yet, what do we do still? The same shit. No one really cares about the "flashy shit". More important is getting shit done. But developers care about it for some reason. Dunno why. God I miss the 9x/2000 gui.

the htmls were far less cancerous

You don't want to go back to non-compositing, non-accelerated window managers.

Also, what you choose to do with your computer is up to you. You can do things with them today that you could only dream of back in 1995.

Attached: KDE_frozen.png (1280x1024, 385K)

there is a Lisp based wm that is dynamic and fully extensible with Lisp (Sawfish). Why isn't Jow Forums using it?

because it's not 1999 anymore (sadly)

The Dock is a lot better integrated and more useful in macOS today than it ever was in NeXTSTEP.

But funny enough, in Mojave it's going back to visually delineating between pinned apps and running non-pinned apps, just as in iOS 11 for iPad. Luckily this time around, the two types aren't on different edges of the screen.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 10.33.57 PM.jpg (900x88, 27K)

They added tiling support too.
It's literally the best WM outside of dwm and i3

>Listen kids, now *that* was good UI design. They don't make them like that anymore.
as someone using window maker right now, I'd say they do

vertical menubar does suck, and I'm almost certain it's strictly to differentiate it from the Mac OS.
tear off menus are really nice though
the NeXT UI is fairly nice, but it's not as perfect as a lot of people make it out to be

it hurts a little
but only just a little

gotta get people to buy new shit somehow

except KDE4 had compositing and accelerating you larping zoomer piece of shit

Did you consider the screenshot may be of a KDE version earlier than 4?

It's not you stupid cunt.
Also KDE3 also had compositing.

>not using JWM

As it should be. I pinned terminal, browser, file explorer, and email client for a reason. Keep everything else away.

>You can do things with them today that you could only dream of back in 1995.
On-the-fly DSP (including encryption and video decoding), fast 3D CAD applications and that's it, really. Having SSDs and more RAM than I can use is a nice-to-have as well but not exactly game-changing. Everything else just goes towards allowing developers to be lazy and incompetent.

forgot virtualization

I use it because it's there and convenient but my previous MO was using a laptop, possibly with an IDE cable sticking out. Nice to have but hardly unlocks any new capabilities. Maybe some Dockerfaggotry though I have no idea how that works; seems like a gimmick.

>tfw no decent clone of the nexstep file manager
and don't fucking say gworkspace, that's a piece of shit

t.zoomer

Whatever happened to Etoile? It was supposed to be based on the latest next-gen GNUStep and looked really promising.

Last news was in 2014, Etoile room on EFnet is empty.

So then why is it showing obvious signs that it is not compositing?

oh wow it's almost like you can turn settings off and on

>dwm and i3
twms are a joke.

But why?

It wasn't, but it's better than what we have now.

>You don't want to use resource light window managers

>promising
etoile always seemed like vaporware
loads of ideas, no actual result within sight
doesn't help that no one actually uses gnustep for anything

>tfw 21 years old and I've been playing QuakeWorld almost daily for years, using WindowMaker for years, and unironically drank Monster Zero before it was a meme
I am the ultimate boomer. Fear me. Anyways, memes aside, this is now an appreciation thread for the greatest window manager ever designed.

Attached: 2018-09-05-041722_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 763K)

LXDE has no compositing/hardware acceleration and it works just fucking fine. Barely takes more memory than Windows 95.

Attached: 8.png (799x600, 372K)

>you even use slackware
Shit man, you ARE a boomer

Why do you have picture of my wife as wallpaper ?

Why is this meme only ever turfed out to defend the current paradigm?

how do I make my setup look like this
what's that dock, icon theme ?

with dockapps. they were made for windowmaker but you can use them with fvwm, openbox, xfce, and probably some other wms