someone asked for a new thread edition
>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1 (embed)

CPU
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for 9700k - Almost surely best for 1080p gaming
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than current GPUs. Just a marketing gimmick to rip off idiots
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous

Attached: zdsgzq2fsbyminket7qi.jpg (800x462, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/QfVnXP
pcpartpicker.com/list/hHCbyX
ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X-Processor-with-Wraith-Spire-Cooler-YD260XBCAFBOX-/253649051050?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125936
pcpartpicker.com/list/w9Drq4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looking for second opinions on the 8400. I’ve been told it isn’t as future proof as a ryzen 2600, but would it still play new games at 60fps over the next 5 or so years with a good card?

Can someone recommend a PSU, fanless or semi-passive, with absolutely no coil whine? It should have at least 200W, and modular cable management would be a plus.
>implying PSUs without coil whine exist

Attached: tumblr_omohosXxFF1vbkeg0o1_1280.jpg (1118x1500, 156K)

> but would it still play new games at 60fps over the next 5 or so years with a good card?
Yeah it should do fine for 60fps+ for a few years.
But just... why? The 2600 has better perf/watt, comes with a better and quieter cooler, is generally cheaper.
Best of all it's on AM4 that's being supported at least until 2020. A decent like $100 board like the B450M Mortar will be able to run the 3700X or 4700X in a year or two which would last even longer without having to get a new board.

There's just not much point in getting an i5-8400 unless it's a lot cheaper.

I mean there's always going to be SOME coil whine. It's just usually masked by louder fans in the case. Or by the sound insulation of the case itself.

Yes

>yeah this CPU should do what you want to do for the next several years, but just...why?

What are the "best" brands for 1080 Ti's? I've always heard good things about EVGA and this seems fairly reasonably priced. They don't tend to get much cheaper do they?

Attached: 1080ti.png (1543x612, 475K)

Zotac
EVGA

I'm new to PC building. I'd like to build a gaming PC under $1k (will upgrade later) that can play games at 1080p 60fps+. So I'm looking at an Intel i5 8400 and GTX 1060. I might look at other CPUs/GPUs, I'll take any suggestion into consideration
>pcpartpicker.com/list/QfVnXP
I dont have a cooler because I dont plan on overclocking (would I need it regardless?). Any recommendations on PSU, mobo, ram, SSD/HDD? Did I choose reliable manufacturers? What should I add/remove/replace

Attached: 1534193560086.jpg (337x290, 56K)

I recommend going with a Ryzen 2600 system.

That's some good shilling m8
>buy the objectively inferior CPU which costs more because it's all you really need.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/QfVnXP
Why?
pcpartpicker.com/list/hHCbyX Cheaper and better in every way.
Better quality modular PSU.
4x the SSD storage space.
More powerful CPU.
Quieter GPU because those cheap Gigabyte coolers are fucking awful even on a low power 1060.
Equivalent board for cheaper.

You could spend the savings toward a 2600X since you don't want to OC.
ebay.com/itm/NEW-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X-Processor-with-Wraith-Spire-Cooler-YD260XBCAFBOX-/253649051050?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
>there's only 1 left at this $210 price kek

Couldnt find that on the pcpart website but I'll search for it elsewhere. It does have some similarities with the i5 8400 benchmark. It wont kill my gaming performance will it? Trying to achieve 1080p 60fps+ (will upgrade later). Also would I need a specific mobo to go with the Ryzen or is the one that I've listed usable?

>Couldnt find that on the pcpart website but I'll search for it elsewhere
It's because you have to also remove the motherboard when you search. AMD is not compatible with z370 boards so pcpartpicker doesn't let you see/pick it.

I'm liking this build!! but I'm going to switch RX 560 with the GTX 1060. Everything else looks pretty good and cheap. Thanks

Ah okay, yea I suspected the mobo wasnt compatible with AMD processors but I'm a bit new to pcpartpicker

Also 2600 is great for 1080p/60hz. The nice thing with the AM4 socket is that AMD is set to support it until 2020, so any CPU that comes out by then will work with your current motherboard. Intel are known to change sockets regularly. Ryzen is good if you want a decent upgrade path.

What the fuck is the point of the 2200g? No sane person will use it for gaming, and you don't need more than a shitty Celeron at 3rd of the price or even a SBC for an HTPC.

does any one know any thing about PSUs? im trying to pick a SFX one but worried the 600-650w models are really just 500w psus rated to the extream with "max" values.

a 500w SFX psu cant even run a 1080ti and ryzen7 even thou both combined and overclocked are not even 500w. makes me think the brands are marking things with their "max" value now and they really selling you 350w psus as 500w and lieing.

No one here knows anythign about PSU except Seasonic is supposed to be good and you should buy hueg.

2600X with fast RAM simply beats the i5-8400. It's only with 2400/2666 RAM that it tends to be slower in games.
But even still, with slow RAM, you have some shit running in the background and the 2600X is still going to outperform and blow it away with actual fast RAM like you already have selected.

Though I do really suggest getting a RAM kit to manually OC yourself, but you said you don't want to OC.

I'd recommend the RX580 more since Freesync, not losing 10% fps if you upgrade to an HDR monitor, losing less FPS using Relive over Shadowplay, h265 support in Relive, etc. But yes, that would work fine if you must.

SF600 ran my 7970 @ 325w and my 1600X fine. 1080Ti uses less than that.

Attached: 2017 FT03 build rev2.jpg (935x1080, 192K)

yer that's what I think. ive used a 7600k and 980 on a 550w antec from 2006. also ran sli HD 6970 2g on it fine.

I have a feeling modern PSU rate them on Max operating wattage and not how they used to rate them on just normal wattage so they lie now and overestimate them by like 150-200wat extra than what they can actually do with out your montherboard shutting it down.

Can anyone in good faith recommend a vega 64 over a 1080?

From a purely gaming view point, the 1080 is a better buy than the V64. So far the finewine AMD factor has not been that great for V64. Now if you wanted a V56 over a 1070 that would be a good buy, but that's assuming you can even find one at msrp.

I bought a evga GTX 1080ti sc2

I'd recommend Vega56 over the 1080 for gaming, but not really the Vega64, yes. Better software/drivers, proper HDR support, and way better choice and price with Freesync monitors.
Clock-for-clock, the two Vega cards are the same in games. Vega64 only out performs it in benchmarks due to higher core and memory clocks stock. Overclocked, they're around the same, yet Vega56 uses less power since those 8 inactive CUs still use power.

>So far the finewine AMD factor has not been that great for V64.
How hasn't it? It gained about 10% fps on average since it was released.
And there are some quality of life features, like the latest Call of Duty has no texture popin and has higher quality textures because it can allocate 14Gb+ VRAM thanks to HBCC.
That's not even an optimization they specifically did for Vega. Their engine has always been like that, where it'll both pre-allocate textures to memory if available, and it'll also compress them less for higher quality. It just happens that you can allocate more VRAM on Vega than any other GPU.
Since there's already games that'll allocate 11Gb+, it's already aging well in that regard.

>tfw the more money i make the stingier i get with spending it

Anyone else know this feel? I look at some PC parts prices and can't bring myself to pay that.

When i had a job i literally couldn't bring myself to buy anything
All i wanted to do was save money
Now that I'm a NEET all i can do is spend

How about some info on non-x86 builds? What if I want to build a small ARM box? I do most of my computing on a ThinkPad X220T. I don't need more power, just similar would be fine.

What info do you need on building a "small ARM box"? Just buy the exactly one SBC that gets any support.

Yes.
I think a lot of it is that when you're poor, you're sad, and getting nice things makes you happy.
When you're wealthy, you already have your wealth as the "nice thing" and you want to keep it.

ARM aren't PCs.

I really hope you don't mean the Raspberry Pi. There's way better stuff out there, like the RockPro64. I thought we had some small socketed ARM boards now.

If I always keep night light on is it worth getting an ips monitor?

>ARM aren't PCs.
How are they not PCs? Do you mean to say they aren't "IBM PC-compatible" or whatever?

>ARMs aren't personal computers

Reminder to not listen to the namefag shill recommending 2600 to everyone

Attached: perfrel_1920_1080.png (500x970, 47K)

>not waiting for Zen2

Literally no excuse.

The pic is never wrong

Attached: 1507818309681.jpg (700x5000, 1.83M)

Literally wrong. Zen2 will be a once in a decade performance jump. It will be the 2500k of this generation.

Sure, if you have the money to buy a full blown ARM board only sold in bulk for servers.
Only those are worth it, 16x PCIe, onboard SATA, M.2 SSD slot, gigabit ethernet. Pop in a SSD, install Linux, add a Radeon GPU and install the free drivers and you got yourself a ARM desktop with decent performance.

Would it be stupid to put a 1080Ti in this computer? I would also be changing monitors, obviously.

Attached: speccy.png (752x505, 34K)

>step 5

not really it would be fine. CPU technology has only really peaked in 2008 and in 2011. ryzen is just 2011 teir cpu performance with more cores. even zen2 wont be big jump maybe intel will release a new architecture jump thou randomly in 2020 or some thing.

1080ti is really fine on any decent 2011-2018 cpu which a ryzen 1800 is.

What does anyone think of the EVGA supernova G1+? (not the normal G1) they seem to be made by FSP

How long until games start making use of ryzen’s extra cores?

My senpai just upgraded and is offering me some spare parts. Is this stuff any good?

Attached: capture.png (735x615, 20K)

For free? That's all decent stuff. It would probably be better to have 3000mhz ram but eh

>For free?
Yeah, sorry. forgot to clarify.
>3000mhz ram
Will overclocking this stuff displease the machine spirit?

How trustworthy is microcenter?

>overclocking used bargain bin RAM

Attached: 41c.jpg (444x453, 133K)

Does anyone have that graph which shows average cores in cpus and vs Intel (with AMD driving the increase in threads) and I think the cost of cores again AMD driving the dropping in cost?

Attached: 1506625797049.png (645x729, 50K)

Looking for a case that is
- No more than $100
- Black all around
- side panel window is optional
. Mid-tower size, roughly 20x18x8 inches all around (height negotiable, length less so)
- Has adequate clearance for closed-loop water cooling of the H100i type

Ideas?

Is the i3-8100 a good cpu? along with a 1060 3gb?
Or would a ryzen be better?

From videos I've seen they manage 60fps+ with max settings in all/most games (1080p)

Also my monitor has vsync does it really matter? Because from what I've seen Nvidia graphics are much better price/performance wise.

you know pcpartpicker has filters for all of those criteria

I don't need nearly that much power. I'm not addicted to video games or anything. Space for one or two drives, good network speed, and that's enough.

You can't force the hands of all the developers. If you make your own game, that power is in your hands. Or if you play free software games, they're likely to get these sort of changes contributed.

right after consoles get multicore CPUs

I want to play all current games and future ones such as cyberpunk2077 ultra at 1080p (60hz or 144hz in the future). Which GPU should i get to futureproof muself, a 1070 ti or 1080? considering there's a 40eur difference between them rn in my country. halp plz, i'm going crazy here.

1080 is better than 1070ti

models at question are MSI 1070 ti gaming vs Geforce 1080 windforce oc (cheapest of the line i think). Should i still go for the 1080?

MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC or Asrock Fatality X399 Pro for my desktop workstation build in the coming month?

Attached: FB_IMG_1528168171972.jpg (539x751, 23K)

What micro ATX cases do you prefer?

Anything Silverstone

just wanted to come say thanks i built my ryzen 2700x using help from this thread a month ago

getting 4ghz sing 1.21v on all 8 cores, using 3200mhz ram with cl of 14

amazing performance, even though 7nm desktop Zen2 cpus are coming out next summer i am very pleased with this cpu, for $400 CAD its amazing price/performance

Im curious to see what Zen2 will do, im guessing 8-12 cores at a stable 4.1-4.4ghz

Anyhow i love my pc, thanks for talking me out of getting a 8700k guys :)

Are there any build websites like how toms hardware used to run things with their monthly pg build guides? Components, benchmarks, et al.

OH NONONONO bro you weren't supposed to say this...

Attached: 1530452448660.jpg (700x565, 73K)

4 threads will often bottleneck a 1060 in newer games. Stay way from stutterfests.

Yeah, Silverstone. I'm eagerly awaiting their new cases that they showed at Computex, though hopefully they refine the designs a bit more...
The Q300L and the mATX Meshify C are both nice as well.

Youtubers. That black guy is unironically pretty good with these. Oztalkshw or whatever? And Tech Deals.
Budget Builds Official as well, obviously, but uh... that's the poorfag and where you manage your expectations to play 7+ year old games.

Look at it this way:
When the 4000 series comes out, the 3700X will likely be super cheap on sale so it won't cost you that much more. And you're getting good performance regardless if you couldn't wait.

>im guessing ... at a stable 4.1-4.4ghz
Better. AMD confirmed a few days ago that they're using the 7nm HPC process, not the 7nm LPP process. Should hit 5Ghz.

EVGA immensely fucked their 1080 pcbs, especially vrm part, but their 1080ti are actually much better in quality, thermals and stability, so if it's a good price - it's a solid buy. The only concern is they use cheap thermalpads and they tend to leak quite oftern.
Generally all 1080tis are about the same in terms of performance, thermals and longevity of the parts, but there are a couple of brands and models you should think twice before buying.
MSI cards have absolute garbage vrm and they burn like candles, also fans will die in about 6 months.
Aorus by Gigabyte is false advertising since it's not 12-phase but 4x3 phase power delivery using the absolute cheapest mosfets on the market. Also they burn quite more often than other brands.
Inno3D have the absolute cheapest 1080tis on the market, and the cards themselves are solid, but it's a lottery ticket since they hold a record on factory-defective cards. You either get a great card, or you will get a piece of shit that will die in 2 weeks, so it's a risky option.

I suggest you look up Palit cards, since they're about the same configuration as most other brands, don't have any glaring flaws and cost a lot cheaper than the competitors. GameRock JetStream and Super JetStream models are practically the same, so you should just buy the cheapest you find.

Does anyone have a idea when i7 9700k are dropping? My 6700k died and looking to upgrade but unsure if i can handle no pc till next cpus come out

how did it die? are you sure its not the mobo?

What’s XFR2? I gather it’s some alternative to overclocking for ryzen, which sounds good to me and is making me lean toward a 2600x for maximum out of the box performance

Was playing total war warhammer, not sure how heavy that is on the cpu but i had a 4.8ghz overclock with water cooling. Suddenly cut during a battle, ive had a couple random crashes before so i let it reboot (i didnt touch the reset it did it auto) it reset again and now stays black screen with red light near cpu

how about galax/kfa especially their exoc models

Attached: iwantto.jpg (850x450, 29K)

The PC is fanless/has no moving parts and no insulation.

>be poor AF
>manage to buy parts through friend
>proceed to install
>first thing is unscrew the mounting brackets
>can't
>try harder all but 1 comes off
>screw is messed up

Hopefully they'll unscrew that shit for me, why are those brackets even in there. Screwdriver slipped and hit the Mobo, I just want to kill myself.

Attached: P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.jpg (500x500, 49K)

If you're poor why are you acting like an idiot. Be more careful with your shit.

AMD's turbo boost for 1-2 cores that goes beyond the normal boost.

oh shit nigger i've just put a pc together with this fucking mobo
the absolute retarded me also bought a goddamn hyper t4 cooler because it had a mad discount and looked pretty damn good without even checking just how fucking xbox hueg this thing is
do NOT make the same mistake user, it does not fit matx mobo and i kind of doubt it really fits anything but eatx on am4 sockets, because you can't change the mounting orientation and the fucker sits right on top of both memory slots on matx

I'm retarded like that why you think I'm poor? Last time I put a pc together I couldn't fit the goddamn amd heatsink on a similar mounting bracket. After a day I just said fuck it and bought an aftermarket heatsink. Now I can't do that. There's always something retarded going on with me and amd but can't afford Intel.

Research your shit next time and if you have trouble with a screw go online and see what other anons did. Hope all goes well

if you ran your GPU on its own PSU and used a riser cable so it gets 0 power from the motherboard would 450w 38amp 12v rail be enough for literally any thing?

I think that could run a 450tdp gpu but wondering about overclocking etc.

you can get riser cable that's powered off molex so gets 0 from PCIe slot if wondering what I mean by that.

It was just a screw bro.

Is it a good thing for gaming, and for those who don’t plan to OC?

is this a good card?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125936

yep. i'd buy it if you are happy with the price.

I know their HoF models were absolutely fantastic, but now discontinued. They had a fucking 15 phase power delivery and a huge headroom for overclocking. Super stable as well and they look cool. Probably won't find one for a reasonable price though

KFA2 EXOC are using reference nvidia pcbs, so it's definitely a good quality boards, don't really know much about cooling system and longevity since they aren't as popular.

Is now a good time to build a PC? It hasn't been for the past year or two but I hear ram is finally getting cheaper

not really but any time is a good time, no point waiting. waiting meme is stupid.

ryzen 2 rig with a 1070-1080 should last 6-7 years at 1080p and 3-4 at 1440p.

Than that's exactly what you need, otherwise you will be choking when playing a webm or YouTube video while doing anything else with a few tabs open.

Now it's a pretty good time to build, but if you can afford it, I'd wait until RTX 2070 hit the markets in September-October. If 10xx are ever getting cheaper, they are getting cheaper at that time.
For the rest of the parts it's as good time as any, you can even buy some parts now if you catch a discount and then get a gpu in a month or so. RAM won't go down anytime soon, so yeah it's a good time to build now. Also I see a lot of retailers putting discounts on 10xx gpus, especially 1070 and 1070tis, so if that's within your budget, that's a great buy.

Would an 8400 build last just as long?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/w9Drq4
Here's what I've picked out so far; this will mainly be for drawing on a 4k tablet.
Any suggestions for different processors and motherboards? I probably won't be doing much overclocking in this small of an enclosure, unless and until I get my hands on the DAN cooler

Attached: DSC03927.jpg (1600x1012, 176K)

Insert *optimization for multi-thread cpus are coming soon* meme.
If you only game for them maximum FPS, buy 8400. If you're general user, Ryzen is better. If you're professional, Ryzen is better without any question.

depends what you play, 8400 and a 1050 ti would be great for dota, league, csgo and older titles. you could run current AAA titles but at lowest settings on native res probably with 30-50fps.

ryzen is better overall but if you have the 8400 then stick with it and buy a gpu that will suit your needs.

Guys buy Ryzen if you have 8400 you'll only play at the lowest settings. Totally not a shill by the way.

ARM laptops are plenty capable and can be found for cheap. I'm just looking for something in between an SBC and a laptop, basically.

>NH-L9i
Is there any better CPU cooler you could fit in there? I'm guessing not as even the NH-L9x65 looks too big

Case has a 48mm cooler height. The guy who designed the case also designed a cooler for it, which releases Q4. The prototypes kept benched cpus in the 60s so I think it'll work out fine.
If it doesn't I'll just sell the case for something else. I could break even on it easily by offering faster shipping than the month-long trip from taiwan brand-new

Its Ryzen so it should be decently cool as long as there is some short of heatsink on it

I'm planning on just buying the noctua for now then upgrading later.
Is the Ryzen I chose good enough, or should I go for a seven series? I'd like to not need another for a while