/spg/ - Smartphone General

Huawei Mate 20 Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Photo_20180904_222111247.jpg (2400x1920, 1.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/explaining_huawei_p20_pros_triple_camera-news-30497.php
ebay.com/itm/Motorola-MOTO-G5-Plus-XT1687-32GB-Grey-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone/142816850561
bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g6-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-black/6221370.p?skuId=6221370
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gonna post my full question here too instead of linking it

I'm saving up for a new phone in 200-300 € price range. Recently Mi A2 had come here, its 299 € for the 64 GB version so I was eyeing that one. But a couple of days ago I spotted Pocophone which is 359 €. Now, nearly 400 € is stretching it a bit but I'm really torn between these two. I know Mi A2 has no earphone jack which isn't a problem for me. My biggest beef with it is that it doesn't support microSD. What are your guys opinion about these two phones, what do you recommend and why?

I also considered G6 Plus, Nokia 6.1 and Galaxy A6+

Thanks!

Huawei vs Xiaomi, which brand is better?

What capabilities would I be losing by "upgrading" from an S7 to a Pocophone? Only thing I see is a few LTE bands which I can get by without, NFC, and wireless charging. I'll miss that last one but the reason I bothered with wireless charge in the first place was because of the shitty micro USB port getting fucked on my S6. USB-C as I understand it has mostly solved this problem?

The one that allows you to unlock the bootloader

do these 200$ device seriously not have an earphone jack? oh lord what is this reality

How likely is it for a US gwailo like me to get their hands on those armored pocophones when they come out?

No microSD card slot means no sale for me. With photos taking up ever more storage and video downloads from the likes of netflix etc, even 128GB of in built storage doesn't cut it

Attached: selfie5.jpg (640x655, 66K)

an earphone jack is the most fundamental and simplistic of features and a *** $200 *** dollar fone doesn't have it? WHAT IS THIS !!

why don't you get a laptop for video downloads

>headphone jacks on phones

lol

bruh someone tell me why this faggotry has 4 cameras

Even the storage isn't that much of a problem there for me, what I hate though is that once the god damn phone breaks (oh it will) and becomes unrecognizable via USB by the laptop for whatever reason, I'll be lost. It has happened with my current Moto G3 and whenever I want to transfer files I just pop-out the card and slide it into the lappy. If I didn't have that option, I would have been fucked a long time ago.

Attached: chrome_2018-09-05_07-10-10.png (674x565, 67K)

Amoled has better contrast than the IPS Poco has. I wouldn't recommend the Poco to you based on this
>Only thing I see is a few LTE bands which I can get by without
Few bands will most likely translate to really slow connection inside buildings.

Three cameras, the fourth one is the flash. It's likely a similar setup as on the P20 Pro:
gsmarena.com/explaining_huawei_p20_pros_triple_camera-news-30497.php

you're forgetting the selfie camera, 4.

Will the Nokia 8 last me 3 years?

Why 3 though?

Read the article

Sure. Just don't expect updates for that long.

uncle wants me to buy him a phone so he can do his """""dropshipping e-business""""". what's the most battery/storage i can get for under around ~$100?

Attached: $$.gif (300x300, 323K)

Heard people complaining about screen half dying after a few months, will give it a shot. Can still return it but will get 90% of money back as I used it for 3 days. If they don't fix it successfully after it breaks in warranty I can force refund (Netherlands)

have a phone, antenna died, won't pick up signal, great cool need new phone
already have contract with verizon, don't need prepaid or any of that shit just need a phone that works with verizon sim or w.e
browsing is nice multitasking is nice but I just need something that plays music and can call, all that shit. is there any cheap chink phone that works great AND SUPPORTS VERIZON, if so recommend pls
cheaper the better but i don't want it to break in a month

Get him a Chromebook. Doing e-commerce shit on a phone is tedious.

How cheap is cheap?

I can't carry a laptop with me everywhere I go

Attached: selfie2.jog.jpg (764x1024, 101K)

$100-$200 range

Anyone?

Get a Moto G5 Plus or a G6

ebay.com/itm/Motorola-MOTO-G5-Plus-XT1687-32GB-Grey-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone/142816850561

bestbuy.com/site/motorola-moto-g6-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-unlocked-black/6221370.p?skuId=6221370

Huawei is shit since they use their shit SoCs with terrible GPUs.

If you really want a Moto, get the G6. You can get better specs from chink phones for the same price (Redmi Note 5, Mi A2).
Also, fuck Moto for not providing updates to the earlier gens despite them having essentially stock Android.

What is a good upgrade from a Galaxy S5 that isn't loaded with Chinese spyware?

>What is a good upgrade from a Galaxy S5 that isn't loaded with Chinese spyware?
Anything with a custom ROM.

Switching to Metro - why or why not?

it's not a phone, it's a computer with phone features
that's important to note

not having bands 12,17, or 13 will suck
he's on VZW, cool it with the Moto bashing you utter fact
Asus Zenfone V is around that on eBay
only reason not to is if coverage sucks where you live, and if you're trying to buy phones through them
other than that, nothing

You're basically stuck with Motorola phones if you're on Verizon and have a limited budget, not much else is compatible.

get a backpack

>you utter fact
I wot m8? At least I'm not spouting nonsense, bro. I still have my second gen moto g and no updates since 6.0

Aww that sucks. They're overall good phones though. Good enough build quality and my battery doesn't seem to have lost any capacity in the 3+ years I've had it

>2nd gen Moto G
>literal 4 year old mid-range device
your sense of entitlement is astounding, it was a $200 device four years ago, let it go and get a new phone

So I have purchased my first samsung handset through work for half price. Note 9 512gb is it true samsung devices slow down? My og pixel still runs fast.

Unironically excited to buy a 6.5” iPhone XS lads
Insult me

which would you choose:

Nokia 6.1 meme or LG G6?

personally G6, but that's because I don't mind flashing third party ROMs
the camera, SoC, and screen are better as well

what about vs moto 6 plus?

I do plan to flash

utter melt buying your overpriced shitter of a phone with a child's OS, neck yourself
which one vs Moto G6+?

LG g6 vs moto G6

i'd still go with the LG
screen is nicer, camera still better, SD821>>>>SD630, plus the dev communitu is bigger because it's been out longer and it has official Lineage support if that matters

also LG has a developer software suite that really helps if you brick your device

sounds great, just really lusted after nokia autism after all those years

have to get a new phone as my moto z's battery shit the basket, which is a shame as it's a very nice phone.

Got all the stuff to replace the battery, then learned online that most people kill their screen while replacing it too, which costs another 140$ to replace

oh that's rough, how much can you get the LG for?

Pocophone. Futureproofed till Android 10/X

I just have so much invested in the Apple ecosystem at this point. I don’t like Samsung.
What would be a better option?
Pixel 3? Does it have OLED?

Dingczo

What exactly is so bad about MIUI? Their navigation gestures seem a lot more intuitive than most other systems, especially the animations. Also the recent apps UI in MIUI 10 blows everything else out of the water.

All the Pixel phones are OLED

350usd (in europe)

I will take that into consideration
Just don’t want a chink phone

pocofone sounds almost too good to be true

how much is the Moto?

My thoughts as well.
I'm on the fence to buy one, but I don't think jumping right now is the best choice.
There's a lot of reviewers getting themselves to do "extended reviews" or whatever for 1-2 weeks to see how it works for actual extended use, will wait and see.

yea im not jumping the gun yet, i'll wait for the plebs to do those long term reviews of it before considering it.

Unbox Therapy fag is now using one as his daily

>using a celebrity to push a product

Let's see if it exists. A phone with:

- Ideally no or minimal notch, but I can live with it
- Borderless
- µSD card support
- Glass or metal back
- No front logo of any kind
- 6.3" max, ideally less
- Decent enough battery
- USB-C
- Rootable, bootloader unlockable, ROM support
- A FUCKING 3.5 JACK PORT
- 500€ max

I feel like it doesn't exist.

Attached: DlyatFrU8AAtPMs.jpg orig.jpg (580x935, 81K)

>celebrity
jewtube fags aren't celebrities
Mi A2 Lite
Pocophone F1

>consume

oh, Redmi Note 5 and BQ Aquaris X2 Pro as well

312$ moto g6
271$ nokia 6.1
350$ lg g6

yeah, I'd go with the LG, wait, you're in Europe right?

yes

why not get the Poco F1? top tier specs for about the same as the LG

Got sent a dodgy connector from HK Goldway. What do

Attached: 7bb35a0c70aab1d06f38f39079e968c099037858a6ce594e99b799dc8df1c916.jpg (680x435, 80K)

contact them? tell me you paid with Paypal

Wait for mix 3 specs if you can, should be within the next few weeks

It most likely won't have a 3.5 jack though. I think i'll have to give up, and embrace the shitty USB-C adapter meme...

Attached: 05.png (382x540, 229K)

not the other poster, but is it worth the upcharge to pay with paypal?

Attached: 1532317702006.jpg (600x367, 26K)

haahah phone with a headphone jack? why would a modern device need such a fundamental feature?

DONT FALL FOR THE ADAPTER MEME. ITS GIVING INTO THEIR SHITTY TECH

BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT CANCER FROM BLUETOOTH

yes because they automatically side with you over the vendor

>xiaomi still doesn't support band 28

Attached: 1449962476588.jpg (778x1018, 140K)

>Poco F1
i have an aversion to phones made in china, fell for the embedded espionage meme

let me guess, sudaca?
bruv, they're all made in China
only difference is where their HQ is located

implying band 28 means something

Aus 4g is shit tier anyways, 4gx won't make a difference.

good news! you can unlock the bootloader so ROMs won't be far off with all the buzz this phone has generated

Attached: Screenshot_20180904125442.png (720x768, 159K)

Well lads I finally did it. Snatched the redmeme for 172 euros here in romania. Good deal what do you think?

I've bought stuff under 5 dollars on ali before, should I even use it for stuff like this? Unless the item is broken on arrival or simply doesnt arrive, I'd expect the quality of any chinese item to be low

Attached: 1482527014949.jpg (608x599, 113K)

what phone nigga, redmeme isn't the model.

i wouldn't use it if the price is that low, anything above $20 then hell yes, also PayPal only charges you if you get a refund through then and you want it back in your account

why is xiaomi so based

they know their customers

Is this for all xiaomi devices or just poco?

it says it in the tweet

Yeh I see that but was hoping they also reduced unlock times on the others

>Aus 4g is shit tier anyways, 4gx won't make a difference.
Then explain why Whirlpool is visibly annoyed by the lack of B28.

because they're anal about little things, b28 means nothing if you haven't had a phone with it before, even then you might get better coverage in buildings but most of the time you're using wifi if you are in a building.

wishful thinking gets you nowhere user

Update status on OnePlus 6 after a month of usage:

It's good folks.

Note 5 my dude