Redpill me on compTIA A+

is it worth the $600? or should I just watch youtube videos

Attached: a+.png (171x150, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

iase.disa.mil/iawip/pages/iabaseline.aspx
academic.comptiastore.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

God no its not worth the 600$. Non of the CompTIA certs are worth it.

Just get OSCP and get hired anywhere

need to have them skills tho

Certs are for retard IT monkeys

yep - even i got CCNA but fuck if I lack the skills to find a job that uses it.

even network+ ? seems like ez stuff

Do employers not value it?

Network+ is minimum

Originally, I got a deal from the government which paid for a WIOA act thing which were for Network+/Security+/CCNA. I still don't have a network related job even now.

Nah, just get a job as a garbage man. Truly a redpilled job.

I got A+/Network+/Few other Certs. You'd think getting even a low end IT job would be a cake walk. Not so. Maybe this was true back in the late 90's/ early 00's (when tech was actually cool and not the "paperwork/manager" shit now) but it sure ain't that way anymore. Some places, the requirements even for low end are just blown way the fuck outta proportion to what your actual duties require you to do. Then you got the deal where you land a cushy job, you gain tenure/time invested to the point where leaving is a bad idea but you can't transfer over into IT due to the company outsourcing it all, or at least the positions you'd actually like to do. The only IT jobs left are manager/dev types. Both which suck. Who wants to deal with all that bullshit/paperwork/ass kissing? Not me. Sure the paycheck might be nice and fat but there's more to life than money or kissing some upper dude's ass just to keep everyone on high from breathing down your neck.

CompSci is fucked, why on earth would you go into a computer related field. Are you a masochist and like ruining your life because it gives you a boner?
>going into compsci
>going into a field that'll be filled with fucking pajeets in the next 5 years
>going into a field that'll be 100% outsourced to the "Pooperpower by 2040" in the next decade
Fucking plumbers make more than programmers now.
>not finding a reliable job that takes very little of your time so you can instead develop your own product in your free time and become successful as a freelancer

Same. I got A+/Net+/Sec+/Linux+ and CCNA out of the military and never found work. I'm a security guard now.

You make it sound like it’s impossible. Should I even bother trying? I desperately don’t want to be stuck doing nigger tier manufacturing shit my entire life. I was considering taking the A+ exam, but now I’m having second thoughts.

they used to be "worth it" because the certs were for lifetime instead of 3 year expiry crap
now the certs are just there for HR checklists

CCNA is significantly more valuable if a hiring manager ever looks at a piece of paper you have your name stamped to

It's not worth it. Get a real job.

All I ever wanted far as tech career goes, was just be a lowly hardware/network tech. Actually work with it and not tell others how to do it. I got the qualifications. But the job market is just not there, least for me. I got to much time invested at my current job. If I leave I'm basically shooting myself in the foot financially/job security wise. Got only 15 years more to go till I hit my retirement date and walk out with full pension/401k/ and good chunk of medical coverage coming to me. I'll be 50 yrs old. If I leave all that goes down the tubes.

And what is considered to be a “real job?”

A career that isn't dominated by outsourcing and visa labor.

Go get that cert.
I let these assholes talk me out of getting Comptia certs years ago and if I had just gone and done it I would be working in IT by now instead of sitting on my couch lamenting being laid off this morning

Yeah, mine are all "valid for life" (2002 and 2003). Fat lot of good it did me. Didn't do jack shit for me. My current job is not IT at all. Those Certs mean shit. All my employer cares about is having a "body" there to do the work. How many degrees/certs you got means shit to them.

No you wouldn't because I have four TIA certs and I'm unemployable in fucking Dallas IT. I work as a goddamn security guard. Fuck you TIA kike.

As a guy who knows his shit but has no certs I can tell you that it is nearly impossible to get your foot in the door without at least some kind of paper saying "I KNOW MY FUCKING SHIT"

Don't believe any career advice from random Jow Forums trolls. People here are overly negative about everything.
Not true by the way

As a guy with four fucking worthless TIA certs in one of the biggest IT cities in the world, who still doesn't have a food in the door and works as a goddamn security guard. Let me just say fuck your kike cert scam and your shitskin import/outsource economy you greedy jew fuck.

>Dallas
THERE'S YOUR FUCKING PROBLEM.
You realize Texas has an incredibly high amount of people with technical skill levels right? On account of TI being right in your fucking city?
As for us guys living in places that make sense, those certs can make a big difference when applying for jobs in small offices or medium sized businesses in our local areas.
So fuck you

Lol

CompTIA certs are things you get if and only if your job requires them and is paying for you to get them.

>YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW ON THINGS
>LIES YOU MUST BE GETTING PAID BY SOMEONE TO SAY THESE THINGS
I'm actually thinking it's you being retarded that is keeping you from getting a job that requires more than 2 functioning brain cells

I have a math degree with a strong focus on cryptography. I'm looking to get into cyber security; do I need certs and would my background help?

How much cryptography knowledge do cyber security analysts actually have? Can I put it to practical use?

Sounds like someone is angry that they’re stuck being a lowly security guard. If you’re that fucking depressed, just gas yourself already.

Attached: 4E524E38-DDFD-4F21-A0A1-EBB45EF961E6.jpg (1898x2274, 257K)

>gotta go to a city with LOWER demand
Lmao, this kike bullshit. There are loads of jobs and nobody gives a fucking damn about your swindle kike TIA cert operation Schlomo. Fucking kys.

I'm pretty sure you're here to shill with your kike swindle logo pasted at the top of this shill thread. Nobody wants to pay for your scam anymore Chaim.

>doesn't even know how to reply
Kike scam salesman please go. TIA is worthless and everyone knows it.

And I'm pretty sure you parents were brother and sister because I can't see any other way you ended up being this fucking stupid.
>SHILL SHILL SHILL SHILL
>REEEEEEE
You're really just embarrassing yourself

The whole education system is a rigged game anymore. Pay out the ass for classes that you will never use and has zero to do with your chosen career. Wind up after 4 years with debt up to your neck and out on your ass looking for work so you can pay it all off (oh and pay your other shit to). You work your ass off, maybe by mid 30's your college debt is paid off. But that's it. Your savings, what savings?. All your extra money went to paying off the debt. Certs? Great, cheaper. But fuck anymore they do you little good. A lot of jobs say, "must have x yrs of experience" plus "whatever" certs. Problem is you don't got that x years of experience. Depending on job market, there may not be any IT jobs at all.

Yes but only if you get the security and network cert as well. I get a strong gut feeling the A+ alone is not enough to entice employers to put you even in entry helpdesk. Certs are a smart good alternative path to college which can be at least 10X as expensive but it requires multiple certs and experience to get anywhere with them.

t. A+ cert holder

Attached: sketch1522161548189.png (1280x720, 250K)

No, seriously, kill yourself, you miserable fuck.

A+? no

I'm a Cyber Security Analyst and I have A+/Net+/Sec+/CCNA and I'm working on Linux+

A+ is when you do not have experience what so ever and you need a helpdesk job to start your career.

>random Jow Forums trolls
Fuck off back to plebbit, it's clear you're not from around here.
If you were from here you wouldn't be saying fucking "Jow Forums trolls", because we'd already know what you're talking about.
>not wanting to accept the harsh truth
>not wanting to break his false illusions to rebuild them better and stronger
>not wanting to improve his career choices because it hurts his feels

Attached: circlejerk.gif (700x478, 925K)

That's lower supply, retard.

That seems about right

Lower supply = higher demand, fuck face.

get a RHCE, be happy

>People here are overly negative about everything.
omg so toxic and problematic???? this is like, rude?????? omg like wow??????

fuck off back to your gay infested shithole

Got an A+ recently and live in DC, plan to send out resumes soon. How fucked am I?

Attached: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.jpg (593x492, 47K)

>RHCE
Does that cert add anything to my resume beyond needing basic experience in the job I would be applying for?

^

Is it worth $600?

Depends. Are you trying to find an entry level IT job with no experience or degree, and not able to find one? Then yeah, it will probably be something that will increase your chances of getting a Helpdesk role. Even if you know the content of the A+, like others said, it's more of an HR checklist sort of thing as most certs are.

If you already have the knowledge and even a little bit of IT work experience, then no, don't fucking bother to be honest.

if you do not have a security clearance, you are fucked.

Be prepared to get shitty helpdesk jobs on contract for a while, keep studying and getting experience dude

Hey buddy I work at a nonprofit in DC and we're actually looking to hire level 1 helpdesk

how close do you live to Mcpherson Square?

fpbp

Yeah thanks man. I'll honestly take bottom of the barrel it job right now, must be magnitudes better than chopping up fruit inside a 0C warehouse.

Pretty far, almost bordering capitol heightd. Thanks for letting me know there's interest though, gave me hope.

Education>experience>certs

Also to add to this the only real Comptia cert that seems valuable is Sec+, and only because it is a DoD compliant security certification. If you live close to a large military base (in the US) that contracts IT work out to the civilian sector, you will probably need this.

iase.disa.mil/iawip/pages/iabaseline.aspx

Find a job that can get you a security clearence and specialize in something.

You're looking at entry level IT jobs, the A+ is just a foot in a door, where otherwise possible but difficult. You still gotta keep studying.
Focus on getting good at your work for a while, and start branching out and specializing in interesting things later and you'll eventually start building up an idea of where you can go next.

Make sure to be social and follow what's going on around you and be adaptable to local demands for service, and position yourself to make some money off of that.

Wrong

Connections > Experience > Degree > Certs > Nothing

this is more true.

This. I failed a cert, but showed off experience by bringing my laptop and showing off my own code, and the pictures of the books I've read, and got a job off that, and the experience here is so crazy, I know that if I don't get hired by someone, I can just go into competition with them successfully instead.

Don't listen to this person OP

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 50K)

Thanks, security related stuff seems pretty cool if I could understand it, might go that route.

certs are better than nothing but you are kidding yourself if you think you can get around without having experience or a degree

>bringing my laptop and showing off my own code
OP is trying to get an IT job and stop being a meme

You have no idea man, why do you think there's so many incompetent painters/plumbers/electricians/ect out there?

Is a degree more important than certs tho?

I just started my first IT job ever at 27 but I've been good with computers since I was a child. One of my coworkers told me today that getting his bachelors degree was his biggest mistake. All of the places he was being interviewed cared much much more about his certifications rather than his degree. In fact I only have A+ and I'm studying for more (my job will pay for them) but no college degree and we do pretty much the same job.

yes, but experience trumps everything.

It's better if paired up with experience but realistically you can get about the same power of a degree if you have like 10 certs. Reason being is they're both equally under valued if the person doesn't have any experience.

Yes, unless that cert is ULTRA specific to that particular job

Degree yes, experience is second these days.

Degree>Certs>experience

Connections will get you working for your friend's dad's tax accounting shop or something equally garbage

Where do you live?

This is the exact area where I do have experience because I lived it my dude.

>pictures of books I've read

Attached: wink.gif (200x185, 178K)

Its gets your foot in the door for a help desk job. Get security plus next.

>experience is second these days.

fuck out of here

What if someone has net+, sec+, and a CCNA but no exp?

I'd argue all the basic first three a/n/s. Broadens the spectrum of jobs you can land and makes you stand out to recruiters. A+ might still get you a job but it sounds like it'll be harder since more people will apply to jobs with the same single A+ cert you have.

Yes and don't listen to these others. I work with a 22 year old girl (and I mean girl) who is pulling 60K her first year on the job with an IT management degree. She isn't managing and it's painfully obvious she has no experience.

No it doesn't. Try getting past HR with muh experience.

OP don't waste your life.

No. Experience was thing 15 years ago. Now you have to further the cert scam and get that gay little degree before any hiring manager at any real job will look at you.

In the suburbs southeast of Pittsburgh. I interviewed at quite a few places but where I landed - 10 minutes from where I already live doing helpdesk IT stuff (remote and on site) with no degree and minimal certs was a super lucky find IMO. I was working at a fucking Best Buy before I got this job.

Honestly being gay for pay is a pretty goid gig

Do they call you a faggot more at work or outside it?

No one anywhere worth working gives a flying fuck about certs.

>degree
Trading one over priced piece of paper for another

source?

Depends on what you value. If you value having any sort of substantial income you will get them or be willing to.

Go away anarcho fag

The only cert worth getting is the one you need. If you haven't applied cold and been told "we would love to hire someone like you with x cert," then you are wasting money. I got A/Net/Sec and CCNA before applying to jobs and my eventual employer told me I would have been hired with no certs given my background (electronic technician with home network experience). Blew a lot of cash and spent a year or more studying and testing for no reason.

> pajeets are poopy and that's bad
> literally be a plumber instead, work with poop, it's great

Well which one is it?

do you take any community college class?
A+ is about half off and security+ 1/3 off if you have a school e-mail
academic.comptiastore.com/

no but I have a bachelors in management
thanks for the link user, looks like $200 for both A+ if I don't buy any study material

>bachelor's in management
>tfw this guy will be making triple my salary with an A+ at the same company in 10 years
CS was a meme

Why not, he's right. I fucked up my Uni entry due to illness, I missed deadlines and ruined everything I studied for. Instead of applying again or killing myself a family friend offered me an apprenticeship as a builder. I took it because I wanted the money. It's 16 years later, I have my own business and a team of employees and doing better if I had fallen for the comp sci meme. Programming jobs might go to the Prajeets but no fucker is going to trust an Indian to build them a home or commerical building.

Your countries are really shit aren't they?
Here I am, 28yo, no certs other than getting out of fucking college or whatever you call it. Sysadmin for ~400 servers atm. No idea about the number of clients. Don't give a shit about them and can't even be arsed to check.

Because I know my fucking shit.

I doubt any CS grad anywhere needs a cert, unless the company asks for it specifically (and probably pays for it) as long as he passes the interview
But many people on Jow Forums aren't CS grads

I can confirm this. All of this. This is what OP needs to read.

Certs PLUS college though is how you make the big buckaronies though.

>CS was a meme
Was?
CS is and has been a meme for a long time.

usajobs.gov

>A career that isn't dominated by outsourcing and visa labor.
Work for the government. Citizens only. Pay is great, benefits are good, and job security is probably the best in the world.

>I have a math degree with a strong focus on cryptography. I'm looking to get into cyber security; do I need certs and would my background help?
>How much cryptography knowledge do cyber security analysts actually have? Can I put it to practical use?
You need a security clearance. No one is going to hire you for what you want to do without one.

>Connections > Experience > Degree > Certs > Nothing
This. Any job worth a shit will put experience above or equal to a degree. You will get hired based on word of mouth. Companies open reqs for people they want.