8 bit cuck

is he fucking retarded?

Attached: fried.png (887x1996, 2.68M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5rPr2JSKeQ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sauce?

idk but you definitely are

Not as much as a Linux user, but almost.

Besides the wire being exposed what is wrong here?

>board draws too much current for the internal supply to handle
>backfeed a fuckton of current into it instead of checking for shorts
What an asshat.

Attached: 1502850674657.jpg (341x544, 44K)

Nah, he's a smart guy.
Op in pic

Attached: mental-retardation-80808.jpg (229x220, 7K)

Making webm, give me a minute...

>tantalum capacitors

Attached: Tantalum capacitor operating normally.jpg (340x225, 36K)

Here it is.

Attached: output.webm (852x478, 2.58M)

>this butthurt that people are having fun fixing old things
No bump or (You) from me, OP.

>"fixing"
if you call dying in a fire being fixed sure.

yikes

Wow, someone larping as an engineer without any formal education or background is doing something dumb? Color me surprised.

He did nothing wrong, using high amperage to find shorts is actually a method used in repairs.

That's not a "not formerly educated" kind of mistake, that's a "i don't watch eevblog" kind of mistake.

Or you could just put the multimeter in resistance mode and probe around.

Of course, didn't say it wasn't a dirty way of doing things and should be left as a last resort, just that it is actually done and fairly safe, unlike some people here imagine. Even though he didn't do it on purpose of finding the fault, the end result is the same.

>safe
>tantalum caps
The guy that designed the card is probably just as dumb, but he has the excuse of not having internet to read about the terrible failure mode of those things.

EEVblog actually did this once after a scrap teardown and didn't want to spend time fault checking. The midget Apple repair guy who talks too much about politics does this too if we are talking about YouTube.

Those were never designed to last as long as they did or be user repairable.
If you don't want to risk your life or limbs doing dumb things you enjoy, nobody is forcing you. I'm sure you mean nothing bad, but as someone who has worked on things like live CRTs before even acquiring any engineering education, Godspeed to him if he's willing to learn and experiment, I still wouldn't recommend taking on any higher end repairs themselves to random people, unless you're okay with the former.

It's not stupid if it works, and it's not like he's keeping it that way long term. For long term use, a port mounted into the case would be best. But for a quick test and demo pieces or wire and tape do the job fine.

see

Unless it's serving a really important purpose, tantalums can often be replaced with an electrolytic or ceramic cap.

Such as setting the device on fire after some years?

>not as much as a linux user
>he literally uses unix
kek

kekd a little

IBM XTmotherboards are quite prone to blowing tantalum caps because IBM used 16V ones in the interest of cost saving, but they're a bit understrength for the 12V main power rail. A 25V cap would be more appropriate.

He has a fucking multimeter. This is the same fucking idiot who used motor oil to "retro bright" old PC and left other shit in the Texas sun encased in hair toner. He fucking prints NES cart labels and get's confused as to why people in the comments give him shit for it. You ever find a piece of hardware in goodwill and it just has the strangest low effort modification to the point it makes you not even want to buy it? yeah, he likely donated it himself.

Most of these caps are there for power line filtration. Assuming you have a good, stable A/C line not prone to spikes you can often cut off bad caps and it will work fine.

Tantalum caps have a tendency to grow crystals inside over time that cause a short.
Even if you use em "correctly", they eventually fail given enough time.

His money, his shit. At least he learns from the things he does, that also includes the retrobright.
Nothing wrong with printing labels, his shit, his money, he didn't try to sell them as real ones, so who cares?

Do you also get butthurt when people use computer components whose corporation you don't directly support?

It's his right to waste his money however he wants
And it's my right to laugh at him for being a dumbass

>This is the same fucking idiot who used motor oil to "retro bright" old PC and left other shit in the Texas sun encased in hair toner
didn't this actually work

>He fucking prints NES cart labels and get's confused as to why people in the comments give him shit for it.
I doubt he's confused. He's probably aware that you're autistic.

Nobody claimed otherwise, than laugh instead of being butthurt on a chink cartoon forum like a 14 year old.

Crystallization in tantalum caps is less of a problem nowadays, it was a problem in the IBM XT era because manufacturing processes for caps were not as advanced back then.

Better formulas?

Hei, there are very nice autistic people who also like to keep their things looking nice, don't confuse autists with morons like he is.

Yes. Tantalum powders are better now and less prone to impurities.

Good to know, but still considering the old ones mini-bombs waiting to blow without the help of hackers.

It was only one capacitor that got blown on the card, easy fix which he did and the card is fine. However I don't know if that's what caused the burnt out traces on the motherboard or if those were there before

gealous Jow Forums

Attached: darksyde.jpg (525x532, 40K)

I guess like everything else, it depends on the environment the computer was stored in. Electronics are less likely to fail when kept in a cool, dry place.

Oh no, balding tofu tech guy repaired a thing wrong

Let's use this video as an underlying example that he has done everything wrong in his entire life

Attached: 101b7aad2e81623366a9efe9552baa68.jpg (512x512, 37K)

>he has done everything wrong in his entire life
same

It's okay to be retarded about a subject.

What's not okay is being retarded about a subject but acting like you aren't in front of your thousands of youtube subscribers.

The ja/ck/ of Jow Forums

Literally says he's not an expert several times in almost every video he releases. Try a little less imaginary head canon next time. Stay seething ass mad that you don't make a living showing people your god awful, useless, trash Linux setups.

>using this as an excuse not to operate the slightest common sense or even just fucking googling the issue

Wasn't the motor oil thing from a video where he was trying a bunch of different comment recommended ways to retrobright? I don't think he's that retarded, he probably just wanted to show off that that shit doesn't work so people wouldn't ask about it.
The hair toner thing looks like it works so idk what's wrong with that.
This is just some spectrumite boomer anyway, who gives a fuck? I don't think too many people are going to blow their arm off from this video.

Shit will get tense if he decide to repair a X68000 or FM Towns.

wtf was he even trying to accomplish?

He had the idea that the PSU was "too weak" to boot the system proper, so he added another one on the same line to "help".
But the videocard was shorted by a tantalum cap, and the tantalum cap did what tantalum caps do.

>or even just fucking googling the issue
You missed the part where he actually did contact people with electrical knowledge?

Why? Who cares, you think the average Jow Forums tard gives any more fuck about those than any other hipster trash?

*breaking old things

Dumbass let the smoke out.

He carries pellet guns in gun-free zones, so yes.

Should have an 8-bit Guy drinking game, take a shot any time he says "I suspect this is a capacitor problem"

kek, that's like watching that fat dude from /ck/

Helped him to find the fault though

You can do more damage if you aren't careful about it.

>muh glorious nip machines
*tips katana*

I think that's fine.
>X68000 blows up and he lives:
everyone knows not to do something like this
>x68000 blows up and he dies:
everyone knows not to do something like this

Attached: Capture.png (1038x719, 1.75M)

Well, besides the fact x68000 do blow Amiga and ST out of the water with it's literal arcadelike hardware, they're rare and expensive.

Wasn't the retrobright video him using throw away items to rumor test other peoples ideas though?

tech gore

This is debatable and depends specifically what year/model machines you compare. Mostly about graphics and raw CPU power.
I.e. an Amiga model from one year got beat by a X68000 model the following year, while the same X68000 model got beaten by an Amiga the year following, rinse and repeat.

They weren't magically decades ahead of everyone else, just slightly different take on things (but that was what the whole market did).

Attached: 1505513165529.jpg (640x594, 75K)

they tantalilate

reddit trying to fit in so hard

>arcadelike hardware
What does that even mean? You can play little games on them?

>Being tyrones little cuck Jew
Good job OP

>makes a mistake and blows up a capacitor + trace on a rare vintage computer
>leaves it in the video instead of pretending to be a know-it-all that does everything correctly
>people get entertainment from it and learn it's normal to make mistakes when troubleshooting electronics
>OP: "LOL he retarded! amirite XDD"

Attached: 8bitguy_gray-Model-Front.jpg (1920x1080, 1.92M)

Meme term. I did have hardware very similar to arcades that were in use at the time, but if you just base it on how the chipset was build, so did many others.

you could tell all this from the pic?

Yes he uses it as a replacement for hydrogen peroxide because larger pieces could take a ton of bottles to submerge.

Ok so basically to ramp up views I need to do stupid stuff?

Thanks for that valuable piece of advice OP!

You do have to commend the guy though, since most other kiketubers would cut that from the video and say the cap was already kill. He atleast showed the audience that he's a retard.

only relevant post in the thread

so this board is filled with angry newfag baitposters too

Attached: ph.jpg (405x508, 38K)

kek

He's never repaired a thing right, though.

Maybe watch a few of his videos before you claim such dumb shit, retard above me.

>everything he retrobrites comes out wrong in one way or another
>uses hot glue and electrical tape everywhere
>his solder joints are absolutely awful, has lifted pads in multiple occasions
>takes line outs from keyboards from the fucking high level signal to the speaker
Those are just some examples.

Nice cherry picking. Literary let's ignore the rest of the videos where he actually fixes shit, regardless of bad solder joints, he does it for fun, not as a profession for others.

>get ancient computer at flea market for $1
>"accidentally" fry it
>idiots like OP help the video go viral
>gain 100,000 subscribers on jewtube
he's actually really smart.

Wasn't he a professional Apple repair guy?

gurug know counting machine wery well

Attached: 1535641988660.png (798x490, 95K)

What is the deal with the yikes meme. I dont get it ?

Attached: iris_goes_to_deviantart.png (478x263, 329K)

It did help blow up the cap.

youtube.com/watch?v=5rPr2JSKeQ0

>˝What do you mean "shooting with guns doesn't connect cables"?˝

this, you can be sure as shit all your favourite u-toobers make mistakes as well, everyone does
it's only the honest and selfless ones that actually leave them in the final video, though
"what not to do" can be just as, if not more informative as "what to do"

and the trace running three slots...

>power supply not working
>like 50 watts maximum output
>attach 200+ watt ATX power supply to +12v and +5v
>shove a bajillion amps into delicate, 35 year old computer
>kablooie
>be surprised
Anyone got that hunchback picture of him?

that's not how electricity works
if the machine wasn't shorted out, a 200W psu would have powered it safely

??? me and my friend just did this exact same thing, we spliced two 500W power suppliers together because one couldn't run my motherboard and a 1080, nothing bad happened tho, is it because the machine in this video is much older so something shorted?

>if the machine wasn't shorted out
Well no shit. I just can't believe the thought process. A 35 year old luggable won't turn on, no voltage on the power rails. I know! Let's connect it to a modern power supply capable of delivering many times the current to a possibly damaged motherboard! It's not like tantalum capacitors of the time didn't have a habit of failing short and exploding.

the machine was broken, the problem wasn't because he attached another psu, it was because the machine was shorting out
the reason it blew up only with the other psu, was because the existing one wasn't powerful enough to really fry anything even when shorted

put an isis flag in the corner and run a smooth nasheed in the background. Then it's perfect!