Is Python 3 a good starting point for language learning?

I'm a sophomore in uni going in for computer engineering (but might just change to comp sci idk I feel like computer engineering is just a worse version of either comp science or electrical engineering and not a best of both worlds type of thing), and tl;dr I dropped everything study related for a few years, but I've resumed and recovered my old "how 2 program" books. Immediately available in book form are Python 3, HTML5/CSS, and C++

Attached: iu[1].jpg (450x350, 14K)

No. Garbage formatting. Learn C# or Java for clearer syntax that is more intuitive. Python is good for taking big ass shortcuts though.

Do C or Java since they're the two most commonly used languages. If you know C it's pretty easy to go from that to C++ or C# too. Don't learn a baby language like Python.

Attached: 1532914878811.jpg (1536x1831, 746K)

>a thread died for this

Attached: 1530247826649.png (409x284, 105K)

It was a thread that was already without any further responses

Just learn C or C++. C is better because the syntax is prettier.
> printf(...); vs std::cout

Start with Fortran and move you way up. This is if you really want to be a master.

yes learn python

>Fortran
I'm some rando that might be able to get by shilling shitty projects on patreon for a good end, I doubt I'll exactly be a super-wizard class hacker. I doubt I'd make if if I just worked from oldest/most basic on up.

I'm retarded though.

You're a CompE sophomore, you can do it OP. We believe in you.

>We believe in you.
I haven't heard that since high school gradeyation five years ago, F.

Well, I don't have anything to lose by trying. The C thing not the Fortran thing. I already have a few projects in mind but I've heard they would be more of a php/html thing, but if C is sort of standard operating procedure for establishing a foundation, so be it.

>but if C is sort of standard operating procedure for establishing a foundation, so be it.

it doesnt matter where you start just dont stop at one language.

I did intend to learn more than just one, but I figured some are better to learn on than others for some sort of technical reason (like how you learn to drive on a manual first)

>I figured some are better to learn on than others for some sort of technical reason
Nope. There is no magic programming language. Every language has pros/cons. The most important thing is your ability to learn on your own.

Attached: guideTo1stLanguage.png (661x716, 74K)

Well then I'm boned because I can learn things relatively quickly but cannot study for shit, my attention span is maybe 15 minutes when really trying at anything. Maybe I'll nab some ritalin and git gud.

You need to ask yourself what you want to do with programming. Whether a language is good or not depends on what you intend to use it for.

Python's primary attractiveness is that it's simple and is 'general purpose', but if you are going to invest the time and effort into learning a language then you probably need more than just ease of use and wide application to justify the investment.

unironically I believe that Typescript is the best option for total noobs currently

Not same user, but don't start off learning a programming language by studying
Pick a set of beginner problems and solve them one by one
If you want to learn to ride a bike, you don't start off by reading biking books

>cannot study for shit
>my attention span is maybe 15 minutes
You are fucked. At least you have Jow Forums.

I'll keep this in mind.
Really? Well, I'd say I'm surprised ,but I'm really not.

This thread convinced me to start learning see sharp

>Really? Well, I'd say I'm surprised ,but I'm really not.
Being able to learn on your own (being able to concentrate) is pretty important. Not just with programming, I mean everything. You have to figure out how to focus or you will be stuck doing shitty jobs.

Good luck.

I used to be able to back when I started university, at least for up to an hour on boring shit and longer on interesting things. I tihnkit's some sort of psychological block.

Maybe you aren't interested in programming which is why you are attention whoring about something you would like to be interested in here instead of trying to do something in it?

Do something you really want to do. Programming doesn't equal some huge salary and a great life, programming just leads to more programming which is either a punishment or a reward depending on your viewpoint.

I want a huge salary and a great life though :(

No.

>Is Python 3 a good starting point for language learning?
Yes. It's a relatively simple language to learn with lots of resources, and it's commonly chosen as a first language

What is your ultimate goal? What do you want to know or be able to do?

>computer engineering
You've already failed. Computer Engineering is not a real major.

So, referring to the same OP, EE or CS?

Primarily web applications or mobile applications. Blockchain stuff sounds neat, but I'm not interested enough to consider it a serious goal at the moment. I would like to make a sort of Neopets/Flight Rising knockoff with a functional economy as a personal project before senior year.

EE and CS are both good. But CS is the better meme right now if you're from a good school

>Good
Just local state.

This.

Do not learn python as a first language. It will ruin you as a programmer and condemn you to be an eternal brainlet. Python is the slowest piece of shit language that's only popular because it is braindead easy so bootcamp losers flock to it.