/tpg/ thinkpad general

Previous thread: →

If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: fackbook pro.jpg (1280x700, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.ca/itm/192620774865
blog.vimuser.org/littleleah.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Would I run into any problems installing windows 98 or ME on my x201?

I assume I'm gonna have to fix grub after I install windows if I want dual boot, I don't mind, I'm mostly just concerned about drivers and stuff like that.

gentoo: ext4 or btrfs?

x1 extreme review when?

Is ~110$ for an X230 (ips, 4GB, 128GB SSD, i5, usable battery) a good deal? The screen has some patches but it's in good condition overall

Can you disable the trackpad on Arch on the X230?

anyone got a config for the trackpoint on libinput that feels the same as the synaptic?
I'm on ubuntu 18.04 (previously 16.04) and can get it to feel that same as before, tried several numbers on the acceleration/speed/inertia but none has worked for me.

Just do it through the BIOS. You get a faster polling rate with the trackpoint that way actually.

Yeah

reposting

The convertible X-series laptops are kind of shit, huh?
>Can't open laptop at a wider angle than 90 degrees.
>Shitter hinge.
>There's a delay when you use the stylus that makes drawing miserable. It's probably shit for taking notes in class too.
>Tablet mode with Linux leaves a lot to be desired.
Don't fall for the x220t/x230t meme.

Thinkpad T450/T450s given your budget and the ones listed being garbage.

are there mods for the newer thinkpads to remove the touchpad?

>There's a delay when you use the stylus that makes drawing miserable. It's probably shit for taking notes in class too.
It's a wacom pad you stupid fuck

Can anyone tell me why people are converting about Intel management for the CPU on t440s? Why is it such an issue

B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T

I'll look into that one, but can you give me a brief insight into what exactly is wrong with the ones I posted? Namely with the B and D one.

>Can't open laptop at a wider angle than 90 degrees.
mine can
>Shitter hinge.
been working fine for ten years
works fine with MS onenote
>Tablet mode with Linux leaves a lot to be desired.
well yeah lunix is a piece of shit so whatever
i agree about disliking the x220t/x230t though

Is $145 for a X230 with 320GB HDD 4GB RAM Core i5 3320m 2.6GHz Win7 a good deal? Also, I've only been looking at stuff on eBay, so any online store recs would be welcome too.

Is it still possible to get an x62 mobo somewhere?

They're consumer level Lenovo "Ideapads" which are all plastic and have poor build quality overall. The CPUs of all of the ones you listed are quite weak given the price and the fact they all come with HDDs rather than SSDs is bad too.

That's alright, it's a really good deal if it has the IPS screen.

Just bought a t550 that needs a battery. There are chink batteries on eBay. I thought these stopped working due to drm after the *20 series.
Will a chink battery charge properly on a t550 or should I just get a genuine one and save the hassle?

what's the wireless on the x230? and can it be upgraded?

>modern models
>lists models with second, third, and fourth gen cpus
lmfao thinklets so onions.

me mr big brain here and i got a t470 because i'm not retarded. feels great not having a WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRR machine, not having bleeding eyes on a shitty antique 1600*900 dim ass tn panel, not having a caved-in back from back from my 12 pound laptop, and getting >12 hours of usage time on a single charge. oldpads are truly retarded, kek

Wireless is either:
>Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200
>Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205
It can be upgraded but a modded BIOS needs to be flashed.

Moderm in this case means chinkpad made by lenovo and not IBM.

Where's the Trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1535314171406.jpg (1280x1280, 780K)

Get a genuine one.

the x230 seller stole my bitcoin :(
my one chance to get a thinkpad

anons, i'm getting a t420 next week. is that fine?

Actually T60 has a non-shitty glorious 4:3 IPS display option but it does get dimmer over time so one should replace the backlight upon purchase, preferably with a LED mod.

imagine spending $1k+ on a laptop just to vent your anger issues on anonymous anime fans on Jow Forums

somebody actually fell for that obvious scam?
please tell me you're trolling m8

how about i spend two or three day's wages and buy a laptop that just werks tm

>buy T60
>the palmrest makes cracking sounds when pressed in two spots
>one of them is where the lid rests against the palmrest so when I press the lid I hear a cracking sound
Did Jow Forums trick me? My X201s actually appears to be of better quality (although that's only as long as you don't disassemble them).

ext4

I don't mind it. It's your money.

>The screen has some patches
Avoid

thinkpad without a memball when? i love the build quality and ports and general hardware and modularity. but i don't wnat the memeball or the two meme buttons at the top of the touchpad

the fuck is a memeball? are you talking about the trackpoint? just buy an ideapad or something then lmfao

>the fuck is a memeball?
the trackpoint, sperglord
> are you talking about the trackpoint?
indeed i am Mr. Holmes
> just buy an ideapad
i don't want an ideapad, I want a memepad
>or something
no, I want a memepad

Thinkpads without touchpads when?
Fucking useless piece of shit wasting palmrest space.

Just bought this bad boy. T430 w/ i5-3250m, 8gb ram and 256gb of ssd storage. What do I do now (I'll be using it for university).
>Inb4 install gentoo

Attached: _20180905_192335.jpg (2996x3096, 1010K)

Is t420s' keyboard as good as the the t420's?

ebay.ca/itm/192620774865

Worth?

Why not a VM?

They're the same

hi /tpg/

i need your advice,
i have lenovo y-50-70 (i7-4700HQ) and just got t430.
instead of installing debian on t430 i switch hdd.

the damn thing works but PCI is still like pic related. Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling the system?

thank you

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-05_19-33-45.png (1041x680, 129K)

AFAIK you don't need to do anything. If you want to use third party batteries, you'll need the BIOS mod. If you're autistic enough, you could also do the classic keyboard mod.

This. I have the 420s and the keyboard feels great

I have a x230 with Debian on it and the battery is garbage! I have installed TLP and some extra things for Thinkpads but the battery is still barely pass a minute with firefox with one youtube video. So I have to have it always plugged in. One of the little snappy things on the back that carries the battery is broken. So it wiggles a bit. Could that be causing the issue or is it time to get a new battery?

>battery is still barely pass a minute with firefox with one youtube video.
>a new battery?
Most likely.

Can you get the battery to 100% charge? How long does the battery last if you keep the computer at idle?

What's the battery wear at? It sounds like you need a new one.

I'm not sure if I want to stick to windows to be honest. But on the other hand, it's somewhat easier to just get Microsoft office and be done with it and not have to worry about not being able to read certain types of files.

Yes it charge to 100% but sometimes it stays at 98 for a while.

It's alight I guess?

It's really bad because I'm poor and this is the only computer I currently have. So I have to keep it going for a couple of days until my desktop comes.

i need a thinkpad to lug around in my backpack when i travel.
if i can play warcraft 3 on it that’d be amazing too.
size wise i think 14” is good enough. 12” might be too small for my requirements:
checking email, watching movies, programming, some light gaming
budget is no more than $1k for an old thinkpad.
please suggest the best bang for the buck. hopefully as future proof as possible(upgradeable ram, maybe even cpu?). i think T series is right for me but not sure which one of em.
backlit keyboard and good screen that’s easy on the eyes is important.

T440p

Someone could suggest me a ThinkPad, programming, with Linux on it. I want everything that goes blazing fast. Max. 300€.

I don't care about storage, I want something transportable and thicc.

bump?

blog.vimuser.org/littleleah.html

wtf i love libreboot now

Attached: tumblr_mdwjtsnCok1rx917io2_250.gif (245x300, 358K)

What's your experience level with Linux? If you're just starting out, go with Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc. I use Fedora on my 420s and it's rock solid. Not to mention there's a billion packages for it since it's basically Redhat. Office Online should be good enough for 90% of what you'll probably be doing.

I suggest you try OnlyOffice on windows and see if it works with your files. And if it does you can switch. OnlyOffice claims to be 100% compatible and it runs on Linux.

why exactly? okay, somebody probably didn't really cared about the machine but the chassis seems like it's in good condition. and this machines are much more expensive in this shithole country

Attached: DEEBLY GONCERNED.png (1920x1080, 2.5M)

Thanks guys, I've worked a little with Ubuntu before so I think I'll go with that or some flavor of it. I'll also be trying onlyoffice to see how far it's compatible. I'll ask around if we need any mac/windows-specific software

>4.7lbs
something lighter than that plz

lmao what a fucking faggot

I'm about to buy a used t470 in the next few days what are the things that I need to check before buying it it's an i5 6th generation 8gb of ram and 256gb ssd full HD display?

Attached: 9df.jpg (700x695, 115K)

i'll bump it again

Are T440p laptops water resistant like the old T400?

iphone X might be better for you

fuck it.
i'm going to reinstall it...

ty

start lifting weights homo, 4.7lbs should feel like air

get a t400 or x200 with a ssd and install libreboot

but user, see this.

fresh t430 owner here. What's the best/most cost efficient ssd I can get for my machine? What do I look for?

I'm aware I just chose to ignore that exists

jesus fuck

Wise choice sir, wise choice.

>its either botnet or trannynet
i want out of this timeline

Is T60 good for programming work? Specifically can it run IDEs like Eclipse and Visual Studio without lagging the fuck out?

there's always coreboot... i guess it's better than ordinary botnet...

Why do you people think a 2+Ghz CPU with an SSD will lag on anything that isn't actually processing?

The OP needs to be updated

>Will X/Y/Z lag?
Does it have an SSD? Then no.

You'll be staring at that screen for years to come.

And have some pride in your country.

>t. soiboi

I said thicc retard, that's some heavy shit

its either one of the older good ones or the new shitty chinkpads

x201 vs x220

titanium body vs faster cpu

I don't know which one to choose! I carry one to uni so ligher body is better, but that titanium man...

And does anyone know how's with battery life and which one has cheaper/better batteries?

The body of both is a magnesium alloy. I don't know where you heard that it was titanium. That'd be ludicrously expensive. The only titanium on any Thinkpad has been the now defunct Z-series.
Get the X220.

No. Older processor and 3gb RAM limit. Get i5 2XXX and above.

Samsung EVOs/Crucial MX500
Gigabyte UD Pros and ADATA SU800 are good if you find it much cheaper than the above mentioned

oh, I would have fallen for a scam I guess?

Anyway that's seems like a better idea. Any 3rd party batteries that you would recommend?

I'd still recommend OEM as they can still be found but for 3rd party just don't get the cheapest one and you should be fine...ish.

how many hours of Word and turned on modem do you think I could expect?

At least 6-7 with the 9-cell. It depends on OS a little too.

it will be my secondary computer, and probably I will fix it later.