Which OS will eventually win the war do you think?

Which OS will eventually win the war do you think?

Attached: OS as waifus - 1276115699683.jpg (776x303, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2015/09/microsoft-using-linux-run-cloud/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Linux already won. It's used in mobile, cloud/server. IoT. mainframes, data centers and other embedded devices. The only place it's behind is on dying desktops. Even then Microsoft itself hosts azure on Linux because they know windows is pure shit.

>osx
who

whom*

This. Linux won.

whomst*

>Even then Microsoft itself hosts azure on Linux
Sauce?

who is correct.

wired.com/2015/09/microsoft-using-linux-run-cloud/

1. Non-free, closed, bloated, inflexible, corporate hegemonist OS full of intrinsic security issues

2. Free, open, efficient, mutable OS durable to corporate collapse with superior security cuz design and more amenable to auditing

3. Gay version of 1

Nobody can predict the future.

Attached: windows10 lock screen.jpg (1920x1080, 561K)

Temple OS

Attached: 1492406839339.jpg (1148x917, 155K)

Linux, cause open source is the only viable way for the future
Heck, even microsoft has realized this with all their open source shit

Attached: quote-if-microsoft-ever-does-applications-for-linux-it-means-i-ve-won-linus-torvalds-186205.jpg (850x400, 54K)

linux

mac hardware is a joke and you can't use it on anything but a mac legitimately

windows keeps making new "features" users don't want. windows 7 is still superior....fuck vista was better than what 10 is now.

It will probably be one that hasn't been made yet. Out of the three I think Linux might last the longest. Microsoft and Apple as companies will probably transform into something that doesn't have desktop operating systems as part of the equation at all before Linux dies.

It all depends on who has the most developers
Mac will die in the next years and Windows, unless it greatly invest into open source software, wont ever get that 2% of the world (mainly devs) on its side

>fuck vista was better than what 10 is now.
unironically this.

Solaris

Linux, it has more widespread applications than Windows, and Windows has more widespread applications than OSX. The only thing OSX manages to corner really, is the phone market. And Android (Linux) also has a sizeable portion of the phone market.

Win what? Let office drones and children use Windows, hipsters MacOS and me Linux.

whomamongst*

>implying MacOs isn't used by white girls
>implying linux isn't for hipsters and poorfags

Attached: Linux_f71827_5791176.jpg (576x764, 133K)

>The only thing OSX manages to corner really, is the phone market.
Android has the phone market though.

Apple makes good profits off its sucker customers, but it only has a relatively small market share. Which BTW is on IOS, not OSX.

>Android has the phone market though.
Really? I thought Apple still had the edge?
>Which BTW is on IOS, not OSX.
Lmao, don't be so pedantic.

Tesla is open source
>inb4 thatsthejoke.png
Betcha you actually didn't know that

When was the last time anyone had Summer Glau as their waifu?

I hope that one fine day we won't care about OS'es anymore.

Why would we argue about the bricks of our houses?

When she was in Firefly.

>will win

Attached: os-use.png (1197x873, 209K)

>Why would we argue about the bricks of our houses?
We would if you couldn't even "recustomize" your own home, because the bricks weren't actually yours.

>muh desktop

Attached: 1512612141000.gif (618x894, 21K)

Let's be honest here
Macos is the only OS that has no practical value whatsoever. If it stopped existing all of a sudden one day, no one would care.

>Windows
Professional content creators fled from macs en masse to windows after Apple abandoned the pro market
Entire global economy, retail, wholesale, manufacfuring and desktops run on windows
Enterprise servers run on windows

>Linux
IT, sysadmins use Linux
Supercomputers, embedded chip and Android runs on Linux
Linux VMs are used for everything
Serious software development needs Linux, even Windows hosts a Linux subsystem for it.
Internet servers run on Linux

>Macos
Tech illiterate hipsters that need a shiny facebook machine want macos
Unironically faggots use macos even Apple CEO is a faggot and steve jobs was a smelly hipster who thought taking shower is not necessary (Not kidding)

>hurr durr I'm not poor
Buying organic water to prove otherwise is not only dumb but also laughable

Find me ONE reason that validates macos' existence
PROTIP: You can't

Attached: 1536063434957.jpg (1000x1000, 80K)

Desktops aren't the majority of computerized systems, you idiot.

The gestures are pretty nice

COPE

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-06 Operating System Market Share Worldwide StatCounter Global Stats.png (2506x1688, 700K)

>Entire global economy, retail, wholesale, manufacfuring
Are you really this retarded? Almost all of that is run by mainframes, or servers, and Linux comprises the majority of those markets. Apart from custom mainframe OSes like Z/Os. So no, you're wrong. The only thing Windows dominates is desktop applications.

>tfw unknown has more percentage than loonix

Attached: Hélio.jpg (1462x1462, 102K)

Android is Linux, you idiot.

linux for servers
osx for development
windows for games

always been like that, always will be

>windows
36%
>Linux
42%

Attached: 1535758853717.jpg (346x510, 31K)

>osx for development
>always been like that, always will be
No it hasn't, and no it wont, you idiot. Linux dominates development more than any Apple bullshit.

linux, specially if gaymes support keep getting better, and if windows keeps getting more closed

>osx for development
No longer the case when osx killed itself by removing OpenGL support. DEATH.

The only gayme one needs is Dwarf Fortress, and that has support for Linux, and Dwarf Fortress' developer is one of us. A SEM/technolo/gy faggot.

>*technolo/g/y

>be apple
>gimp mouse/keyboard so users are forced to use gestures
>tfw mactoddlers line up to suck apple cock and get stuck with gestures

Attached: 1516732512617.png (644x800, 15K)

>I thought Apple still had the edge?
They had been surpassed in like 2012 or something like that and after that it was something like 80-90% Android all along [worldwide, not USA only].

They did make a good bit of money regardless so as a company they won't die, but that's somewhat irrelevant. Microsoft also can't easily die any time soon.

> Lmao, don't be so pedantic.
You say it doesn't matter?

it's okay if you're a fanboy, I'm just stating what I know after working for more than 10 years in software development industry

the exception is if the company has not enough money (linux) or if you need .net framework (windows)

ofc devs can install what they want, I'm just telling you what's happening in the dev world on average

since you are a little kid

Linux. Wouldn't be surprised if Windows eventually releases a linux distro and using virt to run old windows programs to keep it compatible.

who other than a game dev would care about that?

>You say it doesn't matter?
It is an Apple product, so no.

OpenGL is not only for gamedev

In terms of individual users on personal computers, desktop is the only thing which matters.

thanks for this insightful post. now kys

>I'm just stating what I know after working for more than 10 years in software development industry
Appeal to authority. Just so you know, even if it wasn't that, this would still be anecdotal.
>the exception is if the company has not enough money (linux) or if you need .net framework (windows)
>We have enough money to buy this gimped product.
I wouldn't use any of their services. As they're clearly retarded.
>ofc devs can install what they want, I'm just telling you what's happening in the dev world on average
Again, anecdotes aren't evidence.
>since you are a little kid
Lmao, you're so childish you think your own recounting is objective fact. Nice cope though.

>individual users on personal computers, desktop is the only thing which matters
No, that would be mobiles.

>android is linux and not google botnet

Attached: p3zEtxM.png (500x533, 66K)

>I don't like having services.
Guess what, your desktop would be returned to the 1990s if you didn't have Linux running all of your services.

Botnet or not it's still Linux. Not GNU/Linux but Linux.

They are the only important ones in terms of actual users, moron.
Databases, embedded systems and servers are outside of the scope of personal computing. They exist within their own domains. Face reality, you autismal cunt.

It's open source, dumb dumb.

Android is Linux in the same way Mac OS is Unix

Not false

Your desktop, and your phone, would both be uselss without Linux running those services.
Face reality, you autismal cunt.

Android is open source, it isn't my fault if you're too retarded to audit it.

I shit a heap on everything that is remotely Linux.
And I will buy my games for a lot of money if they run on Windows.

it's fine to deny reality by saying everything I wrote is anecdotal without ever worked on a big enterprise nor considering developer polls that are reflecting what I said (e.g. stackoverflow's ones and more, keeping in mind the platform is mostly about c# - .net)

but again, trust the grown ups, kid

MacOS is Unix.

okay then, you should stop visiting every website that exists because they all use linux to run the servers
oh what's that? are you going to make a list of websites that run on windows server now? are you going to visit only those websites?

A mobile phone isn't a primarily personal computer, it's a glorified web browser device based around telephony functionality.
You're wrong, face reality.

>I don't like having hardware
Progression of personal computing hardware (you know, the actual things you physically interact with) has been entirely based around commercial sales for desktop personal computing. All your "services" would be meaningless if the framework for them didn't exist. We wouldn't even have a user interface without the commercial home desktop market.
Face reality, autismo: you are entirely dependent upon that which you claim to rail against.

>A mobile phone isn't a primarily personal computer,
Didn't read any further.

>My own personal recounting isn't anecdotal.
You might want to look up at the definition of an anecdote, because that is what an anecdote is. Idiot.
>developer polls that are reflecting what I said (e.g. stackoverflow's ones and more, keeping in mind the platform is mostly about c# - .net)
>Thinking this is objective.
Look up the definition of an anecdote. And I highly doubt the sample size of such polls are sufficient.

Reminder that Linux is a kernel. For examples of Linux-based operating systems, see Debian GNU/Linux, CentOS, DD-WRT, Android, etc.

Also, Apple's operating system is not called OS X anymore, it's just macOS.

>A mobile phone isn't a primarily personal computer
So this is the power of Jow Forums
kek

Attached: 1535688576544.png (645x586, 236K)

>muh kernel argument
fuck off

Attached: 1535795687238.jpg (600x550, 55K)

Linux is useless for normal users only if u are terminal fag.

OSx is kinda normal but no game faggotory it's good for guys who don't know shit just wanna facebook every time.

Windows 10 is trash
Windows 8.1 is love is life...
Windows 7 is best but already dying without updates.

So Windows is currently best but if 8.1 dies then Windows is dead... Windows 10 is spybot.

>A mobile phone isn't a primarily personal computer, it's a glorified web browser device based around telephony functionality.
They're literally the most common personal computing device in the modern era, this isn't the 2000s.
>Progression of personal computing hardware (you know, the actual things you physically interact with) has been entirely based around commercial sales for desktop personal computing.
Jokes on you, I deliberately only use what is functional. I dislike all of these corporate gimmicks. If I wanted one of those remove screen keyboards, or whatever, I'd buy one. But I don't. So please, take me back to 1980s, or 1990s hardware. Please do.

>it's not a personal computer because I said so
kys retard

Fine then, Linux kernal dominates.

Almost everyone uses a Linux OS, Android.

Feeling's mutual.

ok, go ahead and whip out a full-fledged desktop with a mouse & keyboard, and boot up your IDE to write some software on your fancy samsung galaxy smartphone

Attached: 1536061641727.jpg (322x628, 49K)

>fuck off
No. Btw it's still a kernel.

>He doesn't know what personal computing is.

Actually,...

Attached: samsung-dex-linux-galaxy.jpg (1300x650, 595K)

>It is an Apple product, so no.
But we weren't comparing companies [or primary vendors] but OS'?

If it was about companies, Linux also a Microsoft product. It's in their products. It contains Microsoft source code. They make money with it. The offer services for it.

Attached: 1508631219685.jpg (600x709, 113K)

>Don't be pedantic.
>Proceeds to up the levels of pedant.
What is wrong with you?

gl running x86 productivity tools on that

Phones are now capable enough to become your primary dev environment :^)

Attached: samsung-dex-linux-on-galaxy-apps.png (1280x800, 860K)

Very secure!

>finger print
>iris scanner
ye

That was your approach, and the only reason behind it seems to be to make Apple OS' seem more relevant than they are.

I don't mean that type of secure.

ITS A FIGHT TO THE DEATH

You know damn well that when anyone talks about Linux there talking about Linux and all the other bullshit that its needs to be an OS but because people refuse to use stallman's bullshit naming you just have to whip out "hurr linux is just kernel"

windows is the only reason we still use x86, and windows hasn't been able to jump on any other architecture successfully.

Windows and x86 will die together. Once one dies the other will follow.

Attached: (PNG Image, 512 × 512 pixels).png (512x512, 24K)

OSX>Linux>>>>Grimes>>>>>>>>>>Wangblows

Attached: 1523732886103.jpg (650x500, 82K)

>W10 gives hints where you cannot find sexmate
>still got annoyed because muh bloat

You can't buy games if you despise linux, as both valve and GoG run linux on their servers.
You can't play em online either.

>They are the only important ones in terms of actual users
>Implying users aren't already using a browser for everything and productivity is being offloaded to the cloud
My parens have been using linux since 5 years ago and they don't even know, and they are peak normie. Windows is not necessary in 2018, not even for games now with proton and vulkan around the corner

Who the fuck cares about what runs on random servers? The ATM i used today runs on shitty W7, but i doubt i could milk out more from a linux based machine. :^)

Do you know how the ATM works? it must get your bank data from somewhere.

I think user has a point in
>Entire global economy, retail, wholesale, manufacfuring and desktops run on windows
I have NEVER seen a point of sale machine running linux, or an ATM. All of those use some standard windows 7 or even embedded windows, hell even barcode scanners in the aisles of autoservice stores. But it's because the stupid companies that make them can't use anything else either because their engineers are stupid or because of muh support. I'm not saying Linux wouldn't work either, it's just a matter of adoption