No-no buying the NVIDIA RTX 20 Series, pointless card!

The NVidia RTX cards have no room within the GNU World Order. You should not buy these cards.
1) GNU/Linux support is horrible, Maxwell and Pascal cards aren't even working with the free driver, you have to go all the way back to Kepler to get anything near a functioning GPU unless you submit to the NVidia binary blob driver.
2) There will probably never be any native RTX GNU/Linux games and even if it happens it will be decades away. NVidia hasn't even published their Vulkan ray-tracing extensions so writing Vulkan games taking advantage of this isn't possible - neither on Wintendo or GNU/Linux.
3) Turing is just a minor incremental upgrade with the ray-tracing technology as the only new add-on.
4) Poor Wayland support with the NVidia binary blob drivers
5) It's unknown how well the binary blob driver will work with the RTX cards, and the free driver won't.
6) The RTX is grossly overpriced.
7) Linux VR support isn't there yet so you can't use the cards for that
8) SLI doesn't work on Linux so you'll miss that feature
9) Pascal cards are already dropping in price and work as good as the RTX will with the binary blob driver which means that one of those on sale offer much better value. If you want to use free driver then you're better off buying an old Kepler card or a modern AMD card.

Attached: novideo-output-rtx-2080.jpg (1616x1518, 210K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Vulkan-Ray-Tracing-NVIDIA
on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2018/presentation/s8521-advanced-graphics-extensions-for-vulkan.pdf
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-OptiX-API
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Daily AMD cope thread.

Attached: 1518090342450.png (653x726, 35K)

u mad

Why can't OEMs make cards that look this good?

EK, Nvidea, and ASUS (on their non-gamer boards) are the only companies that seem to have any semblence of a sense for design.

t. nvitards that dont mind playing games at 30 fps as long as there is an explosion reflection on a car

As an occasional driver and kernel developer I find a non open register / programming specification totally unacceptable. What has Nvidia to hide? All the hardware implementation bugs and errata?

Nvidia is on of the worst companies in this regard and as an early and daily Linux user / developer I always boycotted Nvidia wherever I can. If you are big in Linux vote with your wallet, do not buy proprietary, non-open stuff.

Attached: nvidia-babe-002.jpg (800x600, 452K)

>AMDfag complaining about getting only 30fps
This is a first.

80% price increase for a 35% price increase
seems fair

Attached: part-5-1120322-640x320.jpg (640x320, 30K)

30 fps more than Pooga 64

So besides not being compatible with poorfag hipster OS's what else you got?

>1) GNU/Linux support is horrible, Maxwell and Pascal cards aren't even working with the free driver, you have to go all the way back to Kepler to get anything near a functioning GPU unless you submit to the NVidia binary blob driver.
>falling for nouveau meme
Just install the proprietary driver, retard.
>2) There will probably never be any native RTX GNU/Linux games and even if it happens it will be decades away. NVidia hasn't even published their Vulkan ray-tracing extensions so writing Vulkan games taking advantage of this isn't possible - neither on Wintendo or GNU/Linux.
It's coming, mongoloid!
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Vulkan-Ray-Tracing-NVIDIA
on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2018/presentation/s8521-advanced-graphics-extensions-for-vulkan.pdf
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-OptiX-API
>3) Turing is just a minor incremental upgrade with the ray-tracing technology as the only new add-on.
About 2080 and 2070? Yes. About 2080 Ti? No.
>4) Poor Wayland support with the NVidia binary blob drivers
Works on footnome. KDE devs just need add support for nvidia-egl-wayland.
>5) It's unknown how well the binary blob driver will work with the RTX cards, and the free driver won't.
No shit, Sherlock...
>6) The RTX is grossly overpriced.
True
>7) Linux VR support isn't there yet so you can't use the cards for that
Doens't matter. You need go back to >8) SLI doesn't work on Linux so you'll miss that feature
Who the hell uses SLI in 2018? SLI and Crossfire is DEAD!
>9) Pascal cards are already dropping in price and work as good as the RTX will with the binary blob driver which means that one of those on sale offer much better value.
True
>If you want to use free driver then you're better off buying AMD card.
FTFY

Nvidia drivers are superior to open sores garbage drivers

why you no like Ubuntu? are you the gay?

>Just install the proprietary driver, retard.
no, no-no using binary blobs!! moral issues aside, it was problematic last time I had a nvidia card perhaps a decade or so ago. It would require some ancient kernel version combined with outdated X to work. Can't have a GPU dictate what kernel and X server I'm using. I replaced that nvidia card because of such issues and have been (ab)using AMD ever since. Don't really know how well stuff on that side works today.

>footnome
eeew

>You need go back to v
never actually been there in the first place. is it interesting? I like other boards like /mu/ but that's mostly for the /kpg/ threads

Attached: ubuntu-dandanhsuan_33559606_147910059404376_8819244467891470336_n.jpg (1080x1350, 117K)

The 2080(non-Ti) is 5-10% faster than the 1080 Ti. For $50 more than that card it is worth it. On top of that it comes with ray tracing and more importantly DLSS and VR features. Linux is a shit OS for gaming anyway.

Stop kvetching

>anecdotal evidence
just kys

It's not "anecdotal" and also not "evidence". It's my personal experience and the reasons why I avoid nvidia GPUs and also laptops with nvidia GPUs in them - which does make it very hard to find a decent laptop right now. The HP models with those new AMD APUs I looked at them had garbage TN screens and - get this - wireless N, no AC, WIFI. Like it's 2012 or something.

Attached: Cheng Xiao (WJSN) - She is so freaking cute ♥.webm (820x720, 2.62M)

>linux for gaming

plenty of reasons to buy a GPU beyond gaming. If you want to run a triple monitor 4k setup then you'll need one that's a bit better than the bare minimum. Same if you're only using one 4k monitor, really.

>$1000 gpu just for 4k output

Attached: f9e97a64.jpg (1478x1454, 104K)

>You should not buy these cards.
I can't buy them either, they cost more than my entire rig

Once and dropped support for 8.1 I stopped buying them for my clients where i applicable. I own 3 rx580 cards right now, and I had to downlock them to keep them stable enough. Never again.

Anecdotal

>>$1000 gpu just for 4k output
I'm using a RX 570 with 8 GB RAM and 3 DisplayPort outputs and it didn't cost anywhere near $1000. Not many cards have 3 DisplayPorts in the lower price-ranges and HDMI 2.0 is garbage because it can't do 4k 60Hz 10-bit color in anything other than 4:2:0. You can't have RGB or 4:4:4 colorimetry on HDMI unless you either go down to 8-bit or 30Hz.

It's really annoying that laptops and motherboards tend to include a HDMI port (and frequently HDMI 1.4) instead of DisplayPort.

At least Nvidia manages to get that right on the RTX 2080TI, has 3xDP+HDMI+USB-C

the new Thinkpads and Huawei Matepad D eith the Ryzen APUs don't have TN screens, they're IPS

still gonna buy it