Shitty Screws

Why the fuck do manufacturers still use shitty screws like JIS/Phillips for tiny screws when much better alternatives like Torx exist?

Attached: JIShit.png (392x269, 152K)

WHY USE BETTER x WHEN CHEAPER x EXISTS?

KIND REGARDS,
ANY MANUFACTURER

Are torx really that more expensive than JIS?

This lol. Needed to remove the battery cover to flash custom firmware, (There's two contact you need to bridge to unlock the flash for writing) but turns out I stripped it years ago. I got it out eventually though.

I just received a tri-wing driver (hate those fucking things) in the mail today so I wanted to take my DS apart. I stripped the fucking battery cover screw in the process (almost impossible to avoid) so I just pried the cover up from the other end breaking one of the retaining tabs and then rotated the cover until the screw came out. Pretty sure it was a fucking captive screw too so I had to damage the cover even further to get it out. Fucking nintendo. My old Xperia phone uses Torx screws and I must've taken it apart over 20 times now with absolutely no degradation of the screws.

IT'S OKAY WHEN NINTENDO DOES IT

re-tooling an assembly line is expensive. To use Torx screws you need torque-limiting drivers to prevent over-tightening the screw and damaging the part.

With a Phillips head screw the driver will just pop out if you try to over-tighten, with no damage to anything.

TL;DR: phillips screws can be installed by niggers operating nigger machines in a nigger factory, whereas torx require more precision.

I don't understand why they went to the trouble of making it a captive screw though, there's pretty much no way of opening it and closing it more than once without permanently fucking the screw up. It's not like any consumer is expected to be opening the battery cover anyway.

Because not everyone has torx drivers laying around

Macs are awful for this since they just mix and match. Tri-wing screws for the battery, torx for the motherboard, phillips for the case and disc drive. Just use torx for everything, it's superior in every way.

Yet they use fucking tri-wing screws on the rest of the DS which are even less common

Fuck small screws. Fuck them. I teared open my fucking laptop twice because the anchors inside kept getting loose.

>still use
>pic related is a 2005 device

>Doing any work with electronics
>Not having full set of bits for elecronics

That is intended to be consumer removable. Normal people do not have torx drivers.

I used to correct the optical lenses on GameCubes back in the mid 2000s in Chile.

I would also offer to replace all the screws for Phillips screws.

Thanks for reading my blog.

You know you can just replace them with whatever you like right?

Normal people also don't have tiny JIS drivers or tri-wing drivers lying around either. Sure you can remove it with a tiny philips head but you can be damn sure it'll strip within 2 opening and closing cycles

because JIS/phillips have been, and currently are, the universal standard for things. everyone has access to the tools, it's cheaper, and can be replaced with a five minute trip at the hardware store. seems that once again, apple released a "groundbreaking" product (torx) that's more expensive, non-user serviceable, where the tools aren't really on hand at all and are more expensive than they need to be.
it's like being in a highschool and wearing solid platinum belt buckles that resemble a penis and waiting for everyone else to catch on.

Funny. I've opened those dozens of times with small Phillips or even the little screwdrivers from glasses repair kits and never had one strip.

medium phillips head + rubber band fixes this
>t. poorfag

The tri-wing ones are not meant to be consumer removable.

is this more up to date for you?

Attached: switch.jpg (2200x1100, 365K)

>seems that once again, apple released a "groundbreaking" product (torx)
What the fuck did he mean by this?