/spg/ - Smartphone General

Hatsune Miku Special Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: miku_mi6x-1.jpg (1225x726, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/6111557?hl=en
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&chk35mm=selected&idCardslot=1&idDisplayNotch=1&idBatRemovable=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

posting again cause new thread:
So,
my old zenfone 2 died on me about a month ago when the microUSB port stopped working (horrible charge and no file transfer) and stopped taking phonecalls. I've since replaced my phone but bought a 32gb microSD from china to recover all my data.
It arrived today and it seems like the phone also can't read microSDs (formatted it to FAT, FAT32 and NTFS, and none can be read by the phone).
So /spg/, how would YOU save the data from your phone? I'd say it's at least 20gb of stuff to be backed up (mostly pics which I'd rather not lose), so idk if I can just throw it into the cloud with any free service.
pic related, my dog whose cute pictures might be lost forever

Attached: Gaia2.jpg (960x1280, 364K)

bluetooth transfer is probably going to take forever, and that even if the bluetooth works
sounds like you're going to have to back up your fikes to the cloud

where tho?
No service gives that much data capacity for free and I kinda don't wanna spend money just for this.
Is there any easy way to share files via wifi? (like shared folders in a computer OS)

for a sec, I thought this was the new Note 6

syncthing?

Mega gives you 50GB for free and they have an app

Google Drive?

thanks, all the cloud services I could think of were capped at 10/15gb

they only give 15GB free, also
>letting Google know what you're storing
TOPKEK

Download to computer, delete, repeat? Also
>Jow Forums memes over the possibility of losing cute dog pics

thats one method, but if you think you fikes aren't stored, or copies made, upon upload you're naive

>>Jow Forums memes over the possibility of losing cute dog pics

that's why i recommended Mega you absolute pillock

they're not ALL dog pics.
they're the most important, though

Attached: Gaia3.jpg (960x1280, 84K)

Google Photos has unlimited storage (up to 16MP photos and 1080p HD videos)

To be fair I don't care too much about google having my dog's pictures (which I'm sure they have already).
But why even debate that when is a much better solution. Or even which doesn't go through the cloud.

Attached: Gaia4.jpg (960x1280, 285K)

because shills like this dingus

Because
>Jow Forums memes
In the end though if you've found a good solution that you're comfortable with then that's all that matters.

Install an FTP server on the phone with the data. You can find plenty on F-droid and the Play Store. Then install an FTP client on the target phone. Connect to the server with a client and download away.
Another method which could be faster but is more complicated is with termux and rsync. Not going to explain it here because I don’t know how familiar you are with Linux tools, but it boils down to installing rsync and openssh, generating a keypair and transfer it over, then rsyncing like normal.

Is the recommended android software list in the wiki still relevant?
Hasn't been updated in a while.

Some of it is, depending on the section, ricing one is particularly outdated.

>Note 4 is mmc_read failed
>Need new portable cellular connected device
>US, T-Mobile I guess
>Was thinking about china phone
pls halp

Attached: plshalp.gif (498x199, 709K)

Budget?

just wifi transfer it
upload it to mega/google drive/the photos to google photos

Which Apple phone is more worth buying right now?

No meme answers, I can't stand android phones

Aren't they going to announce new phones soon?

Wait for the new iPhones to be announced soon and pick one without the notch.

Yes, September 12

They'll all have notches

Attached: 2018iphonelineup2.jpg (800x497, 87K)

Then the non-meme answer is 8+

Are foldable phones the upcoming gimmick?

>Which Apple phone is more worth buying right now?
More worth buying than what? A MacBook? They've reached that point with their newest devices.
>No meme answers, I can't stand android phones
Oh, no good advice then, you just have to waste money. Suit yourself.

>Are foldable phones the upcoming gimmick?
Hopefully Samsung does this and forgets about glass back, curved edges and the rest of those gimmicks for good.

didn't ZTE already release one and it didn't sell for shit? i also remember there being one sold like 6 years ago that I believe was a Sanyo, and that didn't sell well either
foldable phones are probably the biggest meme in the industry

he means foldable screen phones

All I wanted was a successor to the Axon 7 and they pulled that retarded shit.

lads, any reason to get the mi 8 instead of Mi mix 2s ? Both priced around the same...

Attached: xiaomi_mi8_664_blk_images_5462775432[1].jpg (697x1000, 128K)

Whats the best Xiaomi phone under $200 that has:

USB-C
Headphone Jack
Good battery
OLED (if they have made any)

If you prefer Amoled to IPS.

>Ctrl+F
>Poco
>0 results

W E W

>Ctrl+F
>Poco
>1 result

Not sure what you are talking about

Redmi note 5 fits the best but has no USB-C and OLED. Mi8 series have those but they start at ~$300 and no headphone jack.

>Ctrl+F
>Poco
>2 results
Right? He's full of shit.

You win this one, user

Attached: 1504892317481.jpg (1081x669, 47K)

thanks for the info, user.

that's exactly what I'm talking about
now they release a $700 phone in hopes of recouoing the $1.7 Billion Trump made them pay lol, ZTE is fucked

Redmi 4X dood from previous thread here. Flashed the bootloader, installed TWRP and rooted the phone, without any issues. Now I also got a port of Google Camera, just not sure how should I edit the settings. Maximum quality would be preferred. Here's a photo of dicking around with it.

Attached: IMG_20180905_220049.jpg (1500x2000, 948K)

How many miku phones so far

What Magisk modules do people here find useful?

is nokia ever going to officially unlock the bootloader on the 7 plus? I don't want to give my money to the chinks again

I'm pretty open. I think what I am really looking for is the inside track. I don't want to pay the same shit the peasants pay or buy what they buy. I'll likely be developing smallish apps for it (Android). Looking for a damn good, solid, reliable device that will last me 4-5+ years minimum.

Hey lads I've been having a hell of a time chugging through the sludge of phone info trying to get an idea of what kind of phone I'll be taking over to AT&T. My gf got a job there so we get 50% off all of their plans, but I want to keep the phone price down so I've been looking at the Moto G6 and phones in that price range. I've heard a lot about the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 from scouring the archives, but I don't know how to deal with this frequency issue. I'm in Louisiana and I definitely know that it doesn't hit the frequencies I need if I want to use AT&T's 4g in my area, what am I supposed to do about that? Do I just settle for the Moto G6, or is there another option I should be looking at?

Attached: 1510260042055.png (1014x1210, 133K)

So I bought a Note 9. How the hell can I use this? I'm so used to my S7.

Nokia 6.1 is $229 on Amazon, Essential Phone is $310. Moto Z2 Play is $299 on Motorola's own site. All better purchases than the G6 IMO.

Does this have a minimum length of service before you can cancel it while still retaining the contract?
I'm interested in getting the LG V35 with the $300 fi discount.

Attached: fi_logo_sq_1200.png (1200x1200, 19K)

while still retaining the discount I mean.

This is my first experience with an OLED screen and I find that the Pixel 2's display had way too much contrast to my eyes. Is there a way to make it more "washed out" like a traditional IPS screen?

Attached: 20180905_153820.jpg (1440x2560, 2.4M)

Thanks, I'll look into these options. Any particular reason off the top of your head why these are superior to the G6? I've heard mixed reviews on Jow Forums about the G6 from the archive

support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/6111557?hl=en

I need a good phone that will be usefull while gaming, has a great battery life, fully compatible with android auto and that will last at least 4 years. I'm from Italy and my budget is around 350-400€
Currently watching the mi8, mi mix 2s and pocophone (even if this one has problem with Android auto afaik) but open to any suggest

The first ones are both great. Don't know if you use Netflix or anything, because the F1 has some issues with it atm, but I never really gave a fuck about that, so I'd recommend the 2S.

probs not, it uses the Android Enterprise Management system

Moto Z2 Force is 299.99 on eBay right now

I don't use Netflix and don't plan to, i use my pc to watch everything or i just download media and put them on my phone locally.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into the first two. Maybe I'll wait for the mix 3 to lower the prices

the lower prices are coming soon, they announced it a day or two ago

Why are people hating on glass back? They just feel so good. Or are you a woman with two left hands dropping shit constantly or something?

They tend to slip out for me actually yeah. I'm not even a manlet, and I can take any kind of a phone.
And I get constantly annoyed by smudges on it.

oh I'm sorry spiderman, didn't realize people were born with suction cups on they're hands

>The discounted price will automatically apply during checkout, but if Fi is not activated within 30 days of device shipment, the discounted amount will be charged to your Google Payments account to match the full price of the device. There is no minimum activation time needed to be eligible for the discount.
Just activate and cancel the same day

Any AirPods owners here?

I'd just go with the Pocophone, biggest battery of the three and only one that has a headphone jack and a MicroSD slot.

The issue you're talking about is Widevine certification, and Mix 2S and Mi8 have the exact same issue, they're all L3.

Poco phone questions,

1.) Any ETA on the Mexican version that may have NA bands?

2.) Where's that user who is using the poco in the US on Verizon? How's the service been?

I don't know much about rooting or flashing roms but how are the opportunities for a Nokia 6.1?

Collects fingerprints, less premium than metal and ceramic. I don't know why the only option for the glass back seems to be a smooth finish so the phone is like a shiny soap bar. Textured glass would help both the grip and aesthetics. If you're gonna charge premium prices I don't want a glass slab with a shiny plastic underneath, I expect that shit to be designed by Lalique.

zilch unless you pay someone to do it in a proprietary way, and hope you trust them enough not to inject malware

The SD450 SoC is kinda weak, basically a slower version of the SD625 that the last year's Moto G5+ and G5S+ had. Weird decision by Motorola to have the successor be a downgrade in that regard (I know the G6 Plus exists but wasn't officially launched in the US).

Motorola's update support is also notoriously poor, especially for the G and E series.

Where does one acquire a Miku phone?

You sure about the frequencies? It fully covers all AT&T's 3G bands and has B4 and B5 for 4G, might be worth it to check cellmapper.net to see what they're using for 4G coverage where you live. If you order the phone off Amazon.com you've got 30 days to return it if you aren't happy with the coverage you're getting.

what's wrong is that it doesnt support the lower frequencies like B12,13, and 17
AT&T, T-Mo, and VZW use them extensively now and B5 is only used when B12/13/17 can't be picked up, it's also worse for building/obstruction penetration

Good to know, thanks

Yeah, it would be nice to have the 700mhz bands but it's something you can live without. There's been plenty of anons with Xiaomi phones in these threads that have been getting 4G just fine in the US.

Yeah, release the goddamn LATAM version, Xiaomi

I don't really care about the headphone jack, since there are usb-c headphones...
The same for the microsd, I have 64GB on my opo and i never reached even 50GB (using it mostly for music, games and manga scans)

>Impossible to find a new phone with headphone jack, no notch, expandable storage, and removable battery
why did we let it come to this?

gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2017&chk35mm=selected&idCardslot=1&idDisplayNotch=1&idBatRemovable=1

on verizon wireless when you run out of data what is the upload speed for always on data ? 128k? same as download speed?

problem is I need B17 support because i get the best coverage at my house in the suburbs and my parents house in the mountains
If I can't get B17, or 700MHz in general, then it's useless to me

Ok, that's understandable.

Do colours on OLED display tend to pop out like that?

My tired old has seen better days and I'm contemplating either the iPhone 8, Pixel 2, or the Galaxy s9

On T-Mobile in the US. Should i get the sony Xperia zx or the essential phone or something else? Price range is obviously around $300. Build quality is my main concern.

i mean it mifht also be because my current phone doesn't pick up B5 is why I never see it, but I think H2O doesn't use B5 either, so I might be switching back to Straight Talk soon because I know they do, oh well, haven't even activated my G5 Plus I got last week yet

Wait for the new iPhones coming on the 12th

Fucking god damned bullshit. Fucking chinks restricting their Miku phones to China. I AM AMERICAN. Inconvenience and not getting what I want are things I DO NOT HANDLE WELL.

Essential if build quality matters
calm down chucklefuck

No fuck you. We don't send soldiers to die so that a country can restrict a product to local only. Only we can do that.

We should just invade China desu.

as long as we can strap your dumbass to a bomb, I'm fine with it

Any reason NOT to buy the xiaomi note 5 ai 4/64 ?

Is it worth upgrading from a 2/16 exynous 7870 2 year old phone if I'm just gonna pay 50 bucks and give the store my old j7 2016 ? (yep I'm a cheap fuck)

Fine by me. Just gimme Miku phone and I'll aloha snackbar the fuck outta them slant eyes.