Unlimited data in the US costs hundreds a year

>unlimited data in the US costs hundreds a year
>Eurofags only pay a fraction for the same thing

How do we copy Europe so mobile plans can be just as cheap in America?

Attached: 1514890513037.jpg (644x363, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.POP.DNST?locations=NO
bgr.com/2015/03/23/lte-coverage-map-united-states/
subsidytracker.goodjobsfirst.org/prog.php?parent=verizon-communications
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink_(satellite_constellation)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashburn,_Virginia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_exchange_points_by_size
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

we start by nationalizing all of the phone companies and "telcos" like Comcast

>How do we copy Europe so mobile plans can be just as cheap in America?
Stop cucking yourself and either regulate the shit out of telecom companies OR remove absolutely all subsidies they currently receive.

population density

Europe
>72.9/km2

USA
>32.8/km2

And there are several US states that beat out the national average. For example:

Idaho
>7.76/km2

North Dakota
>3.83/km2

etc.

This isn't even to mention alaska at 0.49/km2.

Most of Idaho lives in the Boise-Nampa metro area tho

*hundreds a month

I was going to say something like this.

Look at a map of the US and then look at a map of Europe. The Internet doesn't just come magically from the ether. It requires a lot of physical infrastructure.

>Boise-Nampa metro area
20.118/km2

still lower than the US average.

allow telecoms to compete with each other

It's cheap in India too sir.

Norway:
>14.4/km^2
data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.POP.DNST?locations=NO

Coverage:
>98% of populated areas have 4g

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 00.39.13.png (1384x1060, 546K)

we hit that in 2015
bgr.com/2015/03/23/lte-coverage-map-united-states/

>hundreds
Fake and gay.
>nationalize it
Fuck off.
this
And the real answer
/thread

Then why do you have such shit speeds? Is it really that expensive?

>Then why do you have such shit speeds?
We generally don't. I regularly see 70-100mbps on LTE.

>Is it really that expensive?
Yes because those of us who live in the cities and densely populated areas are essentially subsidizing the backhaul network to support the millions of Americans living in rural areas.

>Yes because those of us who live in the cities and densely populated areas are essentially subsidizing the backhaul network to support the millions of Americans living in rural areas.
But why? The government literally uses tax money for this. Why are you paying double?

>Norway
385,252 square kilometres

>United States
3.8 million square miles

That's a lot less area to wire up. When you buy a plan in the US it's implied that you can use it across the entire country, so the overhead in the nationwide infrastructure is considered in pricing per person.

Once a cable is implemented it allows basically everyone to have 1g internet, fibre lines american companies put down never reach peak capacity.
They're just good at lobbying and anti-competitive behaviour that they can get away with high prices where their margins are massive.

Because the government isn't really paying for shit. While they do subsidize the cost slightly for the carriers, by and large they're paying for the infrastructure out of their operating budget.

SOME infrastructure gets subsidized, but nowhere near all of it.

Kill yourself you libertarian faggot

To be fair, the people living in rural areas are also providing you food and natural resources. It's a symbiotic relationship.

>That's a lot less area to wire up.
Cellular towers here are wireless, only a handful in cities use cables.

>When you buy a plan in the US it's implied that you can use it across the entire country, so the overhead in the nationwide infrastructure is considered in pricing per person.
That's not how cellular technology works... There is a reason why my phone works when I visit the US...

Hats off
/thread

What's the excuse for the cities then?

See
and

Kill yourself you statist faggot

Don't be retarded. No one is demanding unlimited gigabit access for the middle of nowhere Alaska.

>Cellular towers here are wireless
Uhhh what....? What the fuck country uses wireless backhaul?

Replace wires with cellular towers then. Same problem.

>That's not how cellular technology works... There is a reason why my phone works when I visit the US...

That's how all business works. Higher overhead ==> higher prices.

>Because the government isn't really paying for shit
Verizon alone has received over $660 billion in subsidies. What do you mean "they aren't paying for shit?"

subsidytracker.goodjobsfirst.org/prog.php?parent=verizon-communications

...which is why I specifically said
>This isn't even to mention alaska at 0.49/km2.
Because it's not reasonably expected.

>The government literally uses tax money for this
It's used for POTS lines.

>allow telecoms to compete with each other
Force telecoms to compete with each other. Because if you 'let' them they will opt for the Cartel market structure.

Literally most towers. Directed high-frequency antennaes exist you know?

>State/Local $650,688,893
>Federal $13,095,584

Oh look, verizon has NO expectation for a nationwide FEDERAL rollout.

Verizon is the largest single fiber ISP in the US with over 5 million subscribers. They have a massive fiber footprint in states who've paid for it.

Yuros literally have to pay out the ass for roaming. They also have to pay out the ass for hardware.

Secondly, why do Yuros have 3rd world Internet?

Attached: usa.png (545x2145, 84K)

Not in most deployments. it happens, but that is not at all the norm in the US.

>receive $650B
>"lol, it wasn't earmarked for federal stuff, stupid goy!!! we used all the money, now pay silly goy!!!"
Why aren't Americans using their guns to rise up against actual tyranny like this? Fucking docile kettle.

Or we exterminate the poor and hillbilly hicks and crowd people into cities and dense suburbs like a sane civlization

When you say something like, not even to mention, what you are saying is this is bad, but here is something even worse.

Not you can ignore this example.

It's the norm in Norway though, where laying cables under millions of tons of rocks (read: mountains) would be inefficient and expensive.

My state paid verizon for a fiber network.

My state HAS a fiber network that verizon rolled out.

What is there to complain about? Why the fuck should MY state care what verizon does in other states?

>That's not how cellular technology works... There is a reason why my phone works when I visit the US...
I think you misinterpreted what he said.

>we hit that in 2015
Thirty gorillion proprietary bands used only by certain providers only in the US ≠ four standard bands used by all providers in the entire rest of the world.

That's possible.

And i'm sure it's got shitty spotty coverage. Cell towers running on wireless backhaul also tend to have shitty latency and terrible capacity, so you better hope they're not too congested.

You need to stop drinking onions. It's driving you insane.

>My state paid verizon for a fiber network.
Yet the curryman denied the public the right to demand their use as common carriers, even though there is no competitor.

>Yuros literally have to pay out the ass for roaming. They also have to pay out the ass for hardware.
No roaming costs within the EU. Hardware costs are ridiculous, I give you that much.
>
>Secondly, why do Yuros have 3rd world Internet?
Depends on where you live. Why do rural burgerland areas have 3rd world internet?

>Verizon alone has received over $660 billion in subsidies
>receive $650B

You realize that's 660 MILLION right...?

>in states who've paid for it.
The ISP should be paying the states for the use of right of ways not the other way around.

>And i'm sure it's got shitty spotty coverage
Not really.

>Cell towers running on wireless backhaul also tend to have shitty latency
Yes.

>and terrible capacity, so you better hope they're not too congested.
Nope, they're forced to overprovision capacity by regulation.

ITT: Americucks defend subsidizing private for profit business (ie Verizon) then complain about how expensive and shitty their internet is.

>even though there is no competitor
There is in my state. Comcast has DOCSIS access at up to 1gbps for essentially the same price as Verizon's 1gbps. Further, Comcast also is laying their own FTTP fiber network which they currently offer up to 2gbps fiber.

To be fair, I think I said it poorly. What I said was implying that the overhead is considered in the pricing because of nationwide access, and what he said was right in what he said. What I should have said was that the overhead is considered in the pricing regardless as usual business practice.

well if we didn't have 3-4 times as many cell towers than we need

Shit, I misread. Yeah, makes sense then.

lol cumcast fiber is $300/month

>Nope,
Yes. I don't care what they're forced to provision, it's wireless backhaul, you can't just throw more power into it and expect more bandwidth, there is a more finite bandwidth than you get with fiber, therefore there IS a capacity issue when compared to a direct fiber connected tower. That's just how the network operates.

Especially since I imagine most of the wireless backhaul towers you're talking about are daisychaining to other towers in the area meaning they're all sharing the same wireless backhaul bandwidth.

Depends on your area. They were offering it for $150/month locked in for 24 months to me.

Attached: comcast 2gbps.jpg (958x1082, 161K)

>There is in my state.
Good for you.

>1gpbs
lol, I have 5/5 Gbps for 450 NOK/month, no cap, no throttling

Attached: isp-map-usa.png (839x1068, 514K)

however if were to take area into account, it would mean that you would have 60 different networks (or 200 , including MNVOs) each providing service to approximately half a sate,
and if you were to leave your shitty small ass country with "virtually free internet access" you'd still pay out of your ass for every transferred megabyte

oh and even if you're in "4g coverage" you can still get speeds wayyyy below 1mbps

>it's wireless backhaul, you can't just throw more power into it and expect more bandwidth,
That's exactly what you can, learn to multiband.

>there is a more finite bandwidth than you get with fiber, therefore there IS a capacity issue when compared to a direct fiber connected tower.
They obviously use cable in cities, again, we're talking areas with 3-7 people per square kilometer.

>Why do rural burgerland areas have 3rd world internet?

Because it's not profitable to spend so much money on this infrastructure if it's going to serve so few people.

Besides, SpaceX is working on it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink_(satellite_constellation)

>I have 5/5 Gbps for 450 NOK/month, no cap, no throttling
Lets see your bill.

Also, lets see your 10gbps router and 10gbps NICs you're using.

And while you're at it, throw up a speedtest reaching ANYWHERE near those speeds, and be sure to include the result ID, wouldn't want you just editing the page.

Even in rural areas they have faster fixed internet than 95% of Yuroclaps.

And on top of the the US has better availability than every single Yuroclap country outside of Norway.

So US has faster broadband internet than 99% of Yuroclaps and we have way better connectivity.

95% of Yruop is Africa tier at this point.

Attached: derp.png (883x1163, 56K)

Jelly as fuck

Eurofags also get paid less on average than the average american, and they get taxed more.

Oh great, it's another "salty americans bitch about how their internet is actually superior despite shitty speeds at insane pricing because at least telecom companies aren't regulated" episode.

Not at all, I just know you're full of shit, i have seen the pricing there and most people are paying that much for 1gbps, with 10gbps being offered from a handful of ISPs at a MUCH higher cost, with SOME ISPs offering discounted pricing to residential customers who want the super fast speeds, but they're not the advertised price generally.

Not to mention, you've provided literally no proof, i have zero reason to believe you.

Literally fake news. But even if were true, how many different ISP providers does the average Yuroclap have and why are their speeds so shit going by this chart:

No one would ever say or imply that burgercoms aren't regulated.

>salty americans bitch about how their internet is actually superior despite shitty speeds
How about it's better because it's just fast?

Attached: 2018-09-04 10_10_23.png (726x258, 27K)

I dont think anyone actually thinks that

I don't get that impression at all from this thread minus a couple obvious shitposters. You're just trying to stir up more shit.

The difference is that European ISPs are regulated by law, while Americans don't believe in regulations except when its for the benefit of the company.

>Not to mention, you've provided literally no proof, i have zero reason to believe you.
This.

>You're just trying to stir up more shit.
I would never....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashburn,_Virginia

>70 percent of the world's Internet traffic passes through Ashburn.[7][8][9][10]

Fun fact.

I pay 25 euro's/month which is also hundreds a year.

Nice university network.

I know, it's why I get 3-5ms ping in counter strike playing on Valve servers. Same with many other games.

>verizon

It's home bby

Here is a torrent seeding the other day.

Attached: 2018-08-28 10_41_40.png (1347x61, 8K)

What good are the regulations if your speeds are so terrible?

Why do you approve of "regulations" that literally habe websites block you because of "gdpr' or block access to torrent sites like TPB?

Seems like corporations have far more power in Yurostan than they do in the US since our internet isn't censored and I can freely access TPB.

>lol, I have 5/5 Gbps for 450 NOK/month, no cap, no throttling
Dang a 10gbps residential connection costs $300 here. I have no interest in going to Norway, but I guess it's cool that your internet is pretty cheap.

There are some benefits of paying 35% income tax.

>uploaded
You are a stand up individual, sir.

BULL SHIT.

Far more traffic passes through Frankfurt, London and Amsterdam each.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_exchange_points_by_size

Maybe they have the biggest internet exchange in America.
But America is a very tiny player when it comes to internet data.

Well, somewhat.
I only seed public torrents that are anime, and only for an hour after they release. But I seed them with unrestricted 1gbps bandwidth, so in that hour a LOT can get done.

Pretty sure this particular torrent hit around 50GB uploaded before I removed it from my client.

I am seeding ~2TB worth of content on private trackers 24/7, but that stuff isn't public and I rarely find a single leech managing more than 5-10MB/s from me using private trackers.

>mobile data is cheap in EU

nice meme faggots

its only cheap in shitholes like Romania or Hungary

Why do European countries have no data cap but the US does
>Muh population density
But Norway is less densely populated
>lol luk at map faggot
Sure thing buddy, you're doing great.

I live in Leesburg and work in Aldie and can verify.

>and only for an hour after they release
You're the reason why my dl was fast, so I'm not complaining.

I don't have a data cap.

>he lives in a dense city
enjoy living like a literal rat with pollution and constant traffic noise

Hungary is not a shithole

>When you buy a plan in the US it's implied that you can use it across the entire country

When you buy a plan in Europe it's implied you can use it across the entire world.

Why are you so defensive? This isn't a competition. Unless you are actively working in the field in Europe or USA, you have zero skin in the game. I'm just here to discuss and learn. I don't give a shit who has better this or that.

>lol, I have 5/5 Gbps for 450 NOK/month, no cap, no throttling
Which provider?