Who else realized gnome is the superior desktop after using it with ubuntu 18?

Who else realized gnome is the superior desktop after using it with ubuntu 18?

Attached: g n o m e.png (500x475, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=565797
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I realized that all those memes about it were true and unity was really superior when Bionic come out.

Attached: 1535439462147.gif (800x450, 983K)

Fuck off footfag

>a fucking foot

The thing that I really like about Gnome, love it or hate it, the work flow and the ecosystem feels complete.

>inb4 footfag Gnome shill

Don't get me wrong I love Mate and KDE, but KDE especially just never feels complete to me for some reason. Every time I've tried other DE's and I get passed the honeymoon phase I end up coming back to Gnome cause I can never make them feel like everything is neat and isn't cobbled together. If Gnome could fix their atrocious RAM usage and sluggishness it will truly and actually be the いちばんのデスクトップ.

Fuck off shill.

We're talking about the DE that continues to use more system resources despite taking away features.

Ecosystem sure feels complete if I need to use third party applications for the most basic shit because the Gnome ones are so lacking in features.

GNOME 3 started to get decent after 5 years. You still can't even customize fonts without installing an additional application AND manually editing CSS files (for the gnome-shell panel and widgets). Seriously, can't even customize fonts in 2018. FFS. I use GNOME BTW.

>based foot
always was

Attached: gnomestone.jpg (500x375, 151K)

yeah i don't disagree with you there. But I've been ok with it so far because most of the features they removed I never used anyways, hopefully they don't take anything away i actually use.
What is it lacking that's essential?

I don't like Gnome3 but I dislike all other DEs even more.

It's time to move to Wayland and Gnome is the only DE really doing anything in this regard.

>What is it lacking that's essential?
A good file manager for one. Just browse any Linux forum for a while and you see a couple people asking for Nautilus alternatives because it's lacking some feature they need/want and people recommending Nemo.

I mean desu i don't really see the complaint about nautilus most of the time. The only thing I hate about it is how the search function works; other than that it's perfectly fine for like 99% of people.

Ubuntu 18 made me realize how much of a clusterfuck the distro is

It's the only distro that ships with Amazon on the desktop. That should tell you something.

>point & clic fags hate it
you NEED to use the keyboard shortcuts, otherwise you will have a very bad time in gnome

Attached: kdead.jpg (600x422, 53K)

>You still can't even customize fonts without installing an additional application AND manually editing CSS files
Wut? Just drop your fonts in .fonts and open up tweaks to modify them. Wow, so complicated.

Folders on the Desktop are back my niggers!

Yep, install GNOME Tweaks, that's what I said. But what about changing the font on the panel up at the top? Please enlighten me there.

Tweaks has always been a default application in every Gnome installation I've used.Don't know where you are getting the idea that it needs to be installed.

As a Dolphin user I an tell you that I would sorely miss the built-in terminal that follows you around. I also use dual-panes and seperate view setting per directory quite a lot, not sure if Nautilus supports those.
Not exclusive to Nautilus but I've also had issues with every single GTK based file manager loading large numbers of thumbnails far slower than Dolphin.

That is controlled by the shell theme. Edit the css files found in your theme directory

the search function is essential to it though

nemo is amazing

It’s just a shortcut nowadays and you don’t even get it with minimal install, it used to be worse in Unity

this, I tried to get the same keybinds on xfce or kde and I couldn't, they don't have enough options for virtual desktops. Gnome or i3 are the only ones that let me have an actual workflow without autistically clicking things like in windows. But i3 is too stripped down I wish I could use it with some more gui services like gnome

It's not installed by default with Fedora or Ubuntu.

>I wish I could use it with some more gui services like gnome
You literally can and it will still consume a fraction of the resources gnome does.

My point exactly. In order to simply change a font on my desktop in 2018, I'm required to 1) know how to edit CSS files, and 2) know where to find said CSS file. Good thing I've been programming for 30 years, but the fact that this is even a thing is beyond ridiculous.

>fall for the gnome sucks meme
>install kubuntu
>the installer crashes if you click the format checkbox in the partitioning dialog
>has trouble with my special snowflake multi monitor setup
>disabling a monitor doesn't properly move the default panels around
>Mouse is too fast, mouse settings has 100 autistic settings to tweak mouse acceleration, but no sensitivity slider
>nvidia driver fucks the DE completely

Try again with GNOME ubuntu
>Nothing crashes
>Handles weird monitor setup perfectly out of the box
>Auto adjusts panels correctly when changing desktop config
>Mouse settings panel has sensitivity
>just werks

They might not have a lot of options but at least they do QA apparently

The minimal install is something that I'd like to try for more than a few minutes. Last time I checked it out (last weekend), I found that Firefox wouldn't respect my selection of RGB sub-pixel font rendering, said fuck it and went back to Fedora.

>mfw running Debian sid
>sudo apt update
>sudo apt dist-upgrade
>gnome 3.30
>fuck yes

Currently running in a Wayland session with proprietary nvidia drivers.

Feels good man.

actually since I installed Ubuntu on 2015 it was just a shortcut, now I use debian because I got memed into it and people say updating between ubuntu releases may break something. While debian stable just keeps rolling without ever needing to reinstall.
Yes but I don't want to be looking around obscure third party options. I wish I could just install a meta package that merged more things for i3, like the volume and backlight shortcuts and visual indicators for them, a network and keyboard switcher and such which are all on gnome.
>krashes

Yes, but it does work, not exactly how you would like it to, but it does work as intended. They might be wrong on how a search function should work in a file browser but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Just install XFCE or any other DE that let's you replace the WM and replace it with i3

>booted ubuntu 18.04
>GNOME ran like it was using software rendering
>apparently it wasn't, it just is that slow

>booted kubuntu
>ran fine

fake news
see pic related

fuck off dan schneider

Ugh ikr I hate gnome users they are all toxic bigots

Attached: muh_kde_diversity.png (587x510, 351K)

Not me.
The fact that KDE uses a third of GNOME's equivalent recourse usage despite having over three times as many features to the point where I can basically emulate GNOME in KDE anyway should be a red flag.
Also, regardless of the veracity of the claim that GNOME has better graphics performance than KDE, it doesn't really matter to me because GNOME'S compositing is so shite that videos, games, fvcking web browsing, etc. stutters and/or doesn't reach 60 fps; rendering crucial things like coherent video editing a chore.

The only big thing I'd say GNOME has going for it is its stability. For nearly a year and half now, GDM3 was the only display manager that allowed my laptop to suspend properly; with any other DE, my session would krash™.
But this is getting less and less relevant with the MASSIVE strides KDE is taking in stability as well. Now it suspends properly, so I have gno™ reason to use GNOME.

Attached: image0.png (500x640, 240K)

Leaking memory like crazy.

She cute

Except it. You can't really change fonts at all on iOS, Android or macOS. Even Windows has been burying the customization settings in recent releases. People don't care anymore, stuff like that has become part of the brand that no one expects to change because the vendor hired expensive designers to tell them what fonts to use. Theming is going away and it isn't coming back, deal with it.

Unity got it right after a shaky first few years. GNOME 3 is like fucking tablet touchscreen garbage and any benefit you can think of it has been done by Unity better.

I really, really want to use it, but recently, it's been freezing when I run out of ram (8gb). I've been forced to use KDE in the meantime.

>install Ubuntu 18.04 with GNOME
>entire desktop is laggy even once I get my drivers set up
>gedit can't even do syntax highlighting right
>geany is just gedit with slightly smarter code completion
>window tiling doesn't even work right
>want to personalize it a bit, only meaningful change I can make is the fucking wallpaper

>install KDE Neon
>works fine even before I install drivers
>kate's syntax highlighting works right and is more sophisticated, and has ctags integration
>kdevelop comparable to the most advanced IDEs
>window tiling works correctly
>customized desktop to fit my workflow perfectly, tweaked everything to be as comfy as I can make it

KDE is for people who use linux
GNOME is for people who use firefox

If you want Gnome 3 then use Fedora. The closest thing to an official Gnome distro.
As always Ubuntu is a buggy mess.

She got a pee pee

>nautilus
>works
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=565797