/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

>Read
>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Last thread:

Attached: apu-boomer.jpg (896x1024, 184K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slickdeals.net/f/11054515-print-15-pages-a-month-for-free-with-hp-instant-ink-15-free-program
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/25765/pasting-from-clipboard-to-vi-enabled-zsh-or-bash-shell
wiki.ubuntuusers.de/rsync/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rsync
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Does anyone know of a guide for rooting/flashing pixel XL (marlin) on 9.0(pie) to linegeOS? There was a recent exploit to unlock the verizon bootloader, which i have done. But the XDA "guide" on it dosent actually tell you want to do. It lists 3-4 different options and is confusing as fuck on what the exact steps are to do.

I want to have storage on my home network that I can mount as a folder in both windows and linux. I don't really need to stream stuff, just backup files and access important documents and print them from any computer in my house. What's the best way to go about this? Use a file server/NAS or just plug the storage (and printer) into a router via USB?

How can I download a video from a Facebook private group?

Attached: .jpg (1080x1349, 210K)

Is there any way to play two youtube videos at once on android, or to at least make youtube play in the background of other audio sources?

Linux can read/write NTFS very reliably, so there's no reason not to have a thumb drive or a scratch partition on the same computer if that's all you need the space for.

Is Plex, Kodi worth the time and money, or is it more for the prosumer normie?

I recently bought an nVidia shield, and I can't decide if I want to use it as a Plex server, or if I should go the extra mile to set up a FreeNAS box.

Attached: 1352473538904.jpg (466x359, 20K)

Why am I getting a connection error when I try to post in my thread on Jow Forums?

stop living in a third world

I live in Canada.

What's better Intel or AMD

Something about uMatrix or uBlock was fucking it up. Disabled both and my posts went through. Weirdly this doesn't affect other boards.

canada is third world retard

I hope you're not american.

newpipe will let you play in the background, I don't know if Android will let you play two sound sources at once. It usually pauses one.

Intel is more expensive but has better single core oomph, AMD is cheaper and has more cores. Both have good open source graphics drivers on Linux for their GPUs, unlike NVIDIA.

I went Intel+NVIDIA when i was building this rig in 2013, but if i did it again today i'd probably go AMD+AMD

Intel is 'better', but there are too many hang-ups that negates whatever advantage they had.

I mean, with AMD, you can probably pick up an 8core processor for sub $200, a decent motherboard for another sub $100, and the difference in performance is still negligible since most shit going multi-threaded anyways.

My headphone volume is always really low, even with different pairs of headphones, on Windows 8.1 what do?

Any of you guys have an Intel GPU? I have an Intel HD 520.

What do you guys use for mpv? Do you think it supports upscaling filters or debanding? I don't think so... it's not that weak, but I tried to compare and I can see the difference using spilne36 and debanding.
What is a good config for an Intel HD 520? I watch movies and anime mostly.

Attached: 1534909956866.jpg (1024x1024, 221K)

i need to transfer my laptop hard drive to an SSD via USB. after the data is switched over, what else do i need to do to get it fully operational

Why did qwant.lite get rmoved fromt he OP?

In regards to personal privacy, which is ideal?

Tails vs. QubesOS vs. Whonix - or a combination thereof.

Having issues with my VCR:

macrium reflect

Is your vcr connected via coax from cablebox to the tv?
Or is it just VCR coax to TV?

>new phone is usb c
>computer has usb 3 ports
>data transfers as fast as a usb 3 flash drive
thats supposed to happed right?

Attached: 1535733872834.png (419x249, 3K)

Different use cases. Tails and Whonix are both designed to pump everything through tor, which means that your internet connection is essentially passed through a never ending chain of malicious hosts trying to steal your shit or fuck with you. Qubes is about isolating the shit that you do so malware is less likely to jump from one program to another. It isn't the best for getting the max power out of your computer, especially GPU wise, and speculative execution hasn't been kind to it.

Hypothetically, would running Tails or Whpnix through a VM on Qubes increase my security?My rig is pretty beefed up so I'm not worried about it being a power hog.

Just composite.

How do I move large amounts of data between drives?

I'm backing up 6TB of data spanning multiple drives into one 8TB drive and I'm not sure how to do it. Is there a program you guys recommend?

I'm new to backing up and have no idea what I'm doing

Attached: 1383244694154.png (175x93, 3K)

No, what I'm saying is I would be very surprised if you pulled off something like serious gaming on a Qubes system. It's got similar limitations to a VM, except that it's basically a very secure set of VMs, and most people don't realize just how badly VMs perform if you harden them properly.

IIRC tails isn't meant to be run inside a VM. Whonix works fine, but again all you're doing is running everything through tor, which is something you only want to do in a very limited set of circumstances. Security ≠ privacy. Whonix is not what you want to use to increase security.

freefilesync

I don't play video games. I also know tails isn't meant to be run in a VM, I've tried and it performed like shit.

>restart Firefox 52 ESR
>opens back up as 60something trash
>all my extensions are disabled
>reinstall 52 ESR
>can't enable the disabled extensions
help

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 23.49.31.png (802x587, 128K)

Well if your hardware supports qubes you're welcome to give it a shot. It is pretty neat, and in a lot of ways is like the ultimate realization of what VMs can do. In that case you can just create whonix containers alongside your other linux/windows ones, if that's what gets you off.

Dude, quit running esr. There's literally no reason to now.

Use jdownloader

What's a good program to encrypt my hard drive? There's been break-ins lately, and I'm not always home. If someone steals my computer, I don't want them looking at my bank accounts and such.

no

gpg

Do you guys know of any cheap ink based printers and ink? I've been hearing how the ink for most big name printers are incredibly expensive and sometimes they use underhanded methods of making you buy more ink such as making you change cartridges even if you still have ink. I was wondering if there were any legit printers out there that don't cost an arm and a leg to refill. pic related is what i have

Attached: asadsadassa.png (474x356, 89K)

Is Write Error Rate an S.M.A.R.T. attribute I should worry about?
I sort of noticed that it was going up like crazy after decompressing some 1~2gb zip files.

From what I've googled, it seems that it's sort of unimportant, but I'm paranoid after losing a 1TB drive earlier this year (I had backups ofc, but still hurts).

Attached: Untitled.jpg (675x841, 215K)

Probably cheaper to plug the storage into the router, but if you want to do more you'll have to get a file server

What is the difference between:

public int something { get; set; }

and

private int something;
public int something(){
return something;
}
public int something(int value){
something = value;
}

in C#

Functionally the same. First version is shorter.
Second version won't compile, though. You'd need to rename the variable to for example "something_". The use of properties removes the need for those hacks.

What's Jow Forums's opinion on the thinkpad g series?

> The use of properties removes the need for those hacks.

How?

If i dont need validation the first version is good right?

Also what is the difference between having public int something; and the first version

Both have the same kind of access "class.something = x"

this

1) You cannot name a function the same way as a variable. So you cannot have a variable "something" and access it as "something()".
2) If you don't need validation, and you're completely sure you will never ever need validation, and nobody who continues your program will ever need it, sure.

Do you live near a Costco? They do cheap ink refills. How often do you print?

If you're looking for as cheap as possible, then HP offers a free tier for their instant ink program. You can buy a cheapass HP inkjet printer for as low as maybe $30, then sign up for their free delivered ink program. First timers get the option to sign up for the free tier, which means as long as you print less than 15 pages a month, HP will send you replacement ink cartridges via mail for free. Doesn't look like your Officejet 6950 is eligible, though.

slickdeals.net/f/11054515-print-15-pages-a-month-for-free-with-hp-instant-ink-15-free-program

Pros
- HP tracks your ink usage so they'll mail out ink cartridges to you ahead of time, so you'll have cartridges ready to swap in when they run dry
- If you go over the quota of 15 pages a month, you can print more for the cost of $1 per 10 pages. It's sort of like paying tiny bits only when you need it
- No minimum purchase (besides the printer hardware itself) or subscription length, this isn't a bullshit trial that you need a card to sign up for and then have to remember to cancel lest they start auto-renewing the shit out of your card

Cons
- HP tracks you
- You can't switch back to the free tier plan if you ever cancel or upgrade to a paid tier
- You are technically agreeing to receive ads through the printer (anecdotally I've never received any ads, but I've only printed maybe two pages from my HP printer in the last 3 months)

Also, for the sake of completeness, there is an important difference when using structs. Direct access gives you a reference, properties give you a copy.

Say you have:

struct Vector { public float x; public float y; }
Vector a;
Vector b { get; set; }

And then you try to do:
obj.a.x = 5;
obj.b.x = 6;

The second line will fail. Because the property b returns a copy, and C# will not let you assign to a copy.

Buy a brother tank printer.
Buy brother ink.

Done.

>Is Write Error Rate an S.M.A.R.T. attribute I should worry about?
No.
It pretty much means nothing.

Stop looking at raw value. Your drive's temp isn't 1925250723. Current/worst 100/100 means hasn't reached a notable value today nor has it ever. There's always some amount of read/write error that gets corrected transparently.

Then how do you access vector b?

>disable auto-update
>restart it
>it auto-updates
Goddammit, Mozilla

Recently installed W7 SP1. Did not update anything through Windows Update. Activation message came up, disabled Software Licensing service. Now am getting this message. What happens if I click "OK"? Will it restart or just keep bugging me?
>pic related message and updates installed

Attached: FUCK.png (964x818, 168K)

My VPN got burched any solution?

I want to use gradle as my build system for my java programs. I also have android studio as my IDE for writing mobile apps, which I know uses gradle. Does this mean I already have gradle independently on my pc? I can't seem to find it. Or is the one that android studio uses a special built-in version that is to be used specifically for android studio?

How can I connect to a wpa enterprise network with linux? I tried using NetworkManager but it didnt work and was asking to insert manually the ssl certificate. What do?

is it appropriate to correct your employer who thinks differently about your work when you leave your job

if you're leaving and don't need him as a reference then who gives a shit?

what if i do though

then i would leave any feedback as constructive and cordial as you could. don't kiss ass but coherently explain to him why he is wrong

>kiss ass
more like i'm about to nuke them

right on, let us know how it goes

so it's okay to do that? Correct them in an aggressive manner. Because i was thinking of just not saying anything. Can't think of a kiss ass way of doing it

yeah i mean just don't expect a good reference if you're an asshole to them.
here is what i would do:
weigh out what is more important to you between getting a favorable reference from them or telling them how they're wrong in a satisfying manner. if you have other references, or an outstanding list of projects you can show off, then i say tell them whats on your mind

obviously i want to keep the future open; don't really care about speaking my mind. Just wanted to correct them so they don't label me as below average in future references or whatever when i did everything possible in my work. Not speaking up earned me a lot of bad grades in school.

I've never owned a NAS or done any kind of home media streaming but now I want to buy a NAS that can work with Plex to transcode 1080p films and stream them to my tv. I also want the NAS to be able to handle torrenting directly.

Can somebody recommend a NAS that's capable of all of this?

Picking up C#, know enough coding to be past the "Hello World" shit but not enough to feel comfortable diving into a new language.

Stupid question: What are some fun ways to learn this language?

my asrock ab350 pro4 machine shows 14.9G ram available in both windows and linux, with 16G installed
i understand some will be hardware reserved, but this seems excessive
integrated graphics is disabled in firmware, what could be the issue?

let'm have it user. if you're correct and aren't belittling them, sarcastic, over condenscending, not using personal attacks, etc., then they cannot get upset with you

Why is hangul only displaying in overviews, but not in playlists or headers?

urxvt / ncmpcpp

I've tried using noto sans cjk kr as the default font, and the result is the same.

Attached: urxvt ncmpcpp.png (951x1041, 671K)

>transcode 1080p films
you can't use a prebuilt NAS for this, they don't have the hardware for it
just put together a PC for this

How do I paste to zsh from the system clipboard in vim mode?

Whenever I paste text in insert mode using Ctrl-Shift-V, it interprets it as normal mode commands and also capitalizes the last letter for some reason.

PiHole log shows me 1.5K hits to the domain nat.emule.org.cn in last five days.
I suspect that some of my devices phoning home.
What is it and how can I find out who sending these and what packets contain?

idk all the online guides just tell you not get argumentative it's very confusing

Guys ,
I've applied arctic mx4
But my gtx980ti oc is getting 91c and is thermal throttling ,
I believe I've misplaced it
What's the best way to place it ?

What I mean is the NAS will have a 1080p file on it and stream it to my tv. Does that count as transcoding?

transcoding is converting from one format to another, just serving a file as-is is not transcoding

Okay what I mean is a NAS that will transcode audio then but playthru video as normal. Blue stream it in 1080p and support Plex and BitTorrent downloads.

I run GNU/Linux with a 1060 but am planning on selling it, firstly will removing it cause trouble with my computer due to drivers. Also the computer that it will be sold to will be windows, so will it cause any trouble for them.

>firstly will removing it cause trouble with my computer due to drivers.
just uninstall nvidia/nouveau (before or after removing the card)
>will it cause any trouble for them.
no

nvm, found it:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/25765/pasting-from-clipboard-to-vi-enabled-zsh-or-bash-shell

There's some loose debris in my laptop. Maybe a screw. I can't get to it without going deep within the motherboard area. Should I just leave it be?

If it is a metal screw (which it probably is) it can short something on your motherboard.

I used to think rutracker needs an account to download stuff, but apparently I can without one. Did anything change or something?

So C# isn't fun to learn?

Gotcha Jow Forums.

kankokujin plz go

Is there a way to upgrade the firmware of a Kangston A400 under linux?

Attached: kangston.jpg (770x513, 41K)

What's the best bang for the buck passively cooled GPU on the market right now?

rsync is your friend

rsync -av --delete --progress --human-readable QUELLE ZIEL

#watch for the manual
#--info=progress2 #total progress bar.

wiki.ubuntuusers.de/rsync/

Nicht jeder versteht Deutsch.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rsync

Mega downloading doesn't work for me, I'm using Firefox
Trying to download this file: mega.nz
/#!bFtRhQqR!EjQcmsJ2LSMsfqOt8__CxiVcyTc0evTAahS3dCwNcwc

It downloads and shows me the percentage but when it reaches 100% nothing happens. Anyone has that issue? How can I fix it?

I'm back on Windows 10 after a while. Can someone tell me the Name for the latest release (I think its October update, but am I Wrong?). Also, insider builds, or no insider builds?

Do you have any addons that might interfere with the save dialogue window? Alternatively, could it be that you told FF to save files (or only zip files) to some location without asking? In that case it wouldn't show you anything and just save the file in the specified location.

No addons and firefox is set to ask me where to download to, but I found out the problem... I had my second screen off and the download pop up popped there instead... I'm an idiot

I fixed it with Win7 Loader.

How to connect to internet using my home network when I'm not at home?