Is there even a point anymore /g

USB 3.0 can do 625 mbps, why do we even still have this

Attached: Esatap_port.jpg (976x512, 227K)

same reason you have a penis but never fug a girl

So it's pointless and will eventually get weeded out through evolution and all that will be left is Chad's large wang and super fast USB

i dont think i have ever seen someone use it

this. There was no reason for this or Firewire to ever exist.

It's still usb

came out at a time when usb 2 was the norm if not earlier, at the time it was much better then usb 2

when usb 3 first came out, it was better... technically, but it wasn't for a while before usb 3 was just straight better,

for firewire, it was significantly better than usb, there is a reason digital cameras of the era and for quite a long time used firewire instead of bothering with usb
But now with cameras and media that comes out of them with readers everywhere, usb is a fallback for them rather then the default

and use anymore? I would rather it exist for a good 5-10 years after being useless before a standard goes away from the norm if its been supplanted, this way it give time for replacements to be made and for the old hardware that used it to die, while still using it with newer hardware.
It would fucking suck if I had a new computer, but every single one of my devices that could use the boost in power needed to be used in a computer of the era to work.

>came out at a time when usb 2 was the norm if not earlier, at the time it was much better then usb 2
apple didn't start releasing machines with firewire built in until 1999. usb2 came out a year later. you have no fucking clue, stop making shit up.

originally talking about esata and firewire came in halfway through me writing it.

but fire wire... predates usb by 1 year, had usb 2+ speeds at launch, along with until usb 3 a better way to manage data so it was objectively superior to usb.

usb 2 wouldn't be around till 2000, and usb 3, the first one that was faster then firewire, till 2008, and again, till the mid 2010's for 3 to be mature enough to really be better.

esata was 2004, My understanding of it was usb was dogshit at hdd data loads and actually using an external hard drive as a hdd and not just expanded mobile storage, looking it up, yes, there were esata before esata became a finalized standard because of how shit usb was and how firewire, while better in every way than usb, was inadequate for drives that could be pulling 100 to I think at the time 180mb read spreads were top end, drives.

now, I say this from the bottom of my heart, go fuck yourself, your betters are explaining shit.

They are talking about esata you fucking retard.

firewire allows for isochronous signals, hence no jitter. usb doesn't.

I used one for years when my main computer was a ThinkPad. I had a WD external drive with separate eSATA and USB 2.0 ports. Either the cable or the connector was really finicky, though. Couldn't touch it or jostle the computer at all during transfers at the risk of the drive losing its connection.

>There was no reason for this or Firewire to ever exist.
FireWire (later FireWire 400) was released at a time when USB 1.1 and its 12Mb/s? theoretical max transfer speed was the norm. Even after the slightly faster USB 2.0 was standardized it took a couple years for devices using it to become commonplace. FireWire 800 on the other hand was fucking pointless and came too late to make any impact. I’m not sure it was even included on more than one generation of Macs.

Firewire was always faster than usb just like thunderbolt being faster than current usb. USB was a mistake

>Firewire
>no reason to exist
Good luck getting video out of that via USB, over 20 years ago. No reason for your existence either. eSATA tho, agreed, never used it either. Someone must (?)

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 62K)

It has native support for SATA devices. USB3 requires converters/controllers for external HDDs. In other words, it is more efficient on CPU and you can easily do low-level stuff.

What really killed eSATA was the lack of build-in power support for years until it was too late (latest spec of eSATA does have it but USB3 already took over).

>USB 3.0 can do 625 mbps

My USB C SSD does 4Gbps.

USB3 is rated at a theoretical 5 Gbps. USB3.1 is at 10 Gbps.

>mbps
millibit per second?
That's rather slow!

pretty sure op meant to write 625MB/s, which is the same as 5Gb/s

Firewire was frequently used for transferring images and video from cameras.

>i dont think i have ever seen someone use it
I used it for more than a 5 years straight when usb2.0 could transfer data from a laptop to an external hdd with 10MB/s.
I transferred files via eSata with speeds that saturated 5400rpm 2.5" HDDs.
You also haven't used menstrual pads, but they are useful to some wymyn.

>Chad
>making it through evolution when AI arrives
Lol no. Humans are gonna be extinct creatures soon, including Chad.

>Good luck getting video out of that via USB
usb was the cheapest interconnect you could get and it was royalty free.
In fact Firewire was faster for a brief period of time before usb was massively adopted. In 2000, USB was as fast as Firewire, and then Apple decided to stop asking for royalties, but nobody cared at that point about firewire.
Firewire made the peripherals to consume more power because they had to support daisy chain, relay data from the other peripherals, plus, e.t.c..
Also there's a meme about firewire being best for sound cards due to "lower latency"... which is half true. USB had the exact same mode to feed data, live, to the system, without interrupts or polling.
Same shit happened with ethernet's evolution.
When the standard became more strict about wires, phys and the rest of the stack, then it became faster and as fast as other proprietary interconnects.

Most of the time usb devices use generic drivers and you can't get the potential the device offers, that's why in certain loads, you can't saturate the USB.

Firewire was big on Avid editors I seen students use while at school. Apparently it just came out at the time and it was the buzz word of the film school.

You've clearly read enough about USB 2 and firewire to be confused about both. USB 2 theoretically supported 400Mbit/s if it was the only device on the bus and you could dedicate the CPU entirely to the task AND nothing would interrupt the transfer. Firewire could guarantee 400Mbit/s sustained because the bulk of the transfer was offloaded from the CPU and handled in hardware. USB requires a big buffer to allow for slop in the connection. No use at all when you need low latency audio and no use at all when you are transferring digital video from a tape where the camera and computer have to maintain synchronisation.
USB wouldn't even get this support until 3.1 and even then it's an optional feature. Video cameras moved away from tape and DAW users just learned to live with some buffering and latency. Now it's moot.

DV was hot shit. Bi-directional realtime transfer of synchronised video and audio in 100% digital perfection to and from a computer all using a single firewire connection on a relatively inexpensive card. As opposed to the massively expensive analogue solutions you had to use before that required all sorts of devilry with genlocks to do anything cool with.

Now we use offline non-linear editors and will never look back, but for a time firewire+DV was superior to everything.