Linux is hard

>tfw too dumb to understand linux's file system and folders
how do linuxfags even manage knowing where everything is? theres no Program Files, theres no choice for where to install shit (unless you want to start using the console)
its just a worse experience overall

Attached: deb.0403.gif (502x241, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
askubuntu.com/questions/130186/what-is-the-rationale-for-the-usr-directory
gobolinux.org/at_a_glance.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ucctAawSnj8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you have no choice other than google it, because every fag is doing things as HE wants, not as would be convenient for a user. So we have for exampe an "apache2" folder in Ubuntu, same folder will be named as "httpd" in RHEL, one program will save configs in /usr/bin/programname, other will do the same in /etc/ folder, structure is different for every goddamn distro and program.
total mess

>how do linuxfags even manage knowing where everything is?
Distributions offer a command to get the files of an installed package, so you see exactly where everything is installed. For example under Arch it is pacman -Ql

>because every fag is doing things as
Distribution do it differently, which isn't that strange considering that different distributions aren't supposed to be the same operating system obviously.
>and program.
No, most distributions enforce the same structure for every program.

If I'm going to edit php config, I need to go /etc/php/... folder. But if I want to edit mpd config, it will not be /etc/mpd/ folder, it will be just /etc/mpd.conf. Neofetch config is located under /usr/share/neofetch/ folder. If you built something from source, you need to search for it in /usr/local.
Moreover, these folders are named differently from the program itself that you've installed. You installed 'git' and so you expect the config folder to be named 'git', but actually it will be named 'gitconfig'. I mean it is something you can live with, but why not just place all the configs in fucking /etc/%programname% folders?

If you think that Linux is too hard, you are WEAK.

Nobody follows XDG standards.
Instead of configs being in $XDG_config_home, they can be in ~/.config, ~/.config/program, ~/program, ~/program/config ~/.program, /etc/program, etc etc etc.
Admit it, it's a mess.

>If you built something from source, you need to search for it in /usr/local.
There are build configure options that let you choose that directory. And you're supposed to install things using your package manager, not from some source you've build.
>You installed 'git' and so you expect the config folder to be named 'git', but actually it will be named 'gitconfig'.
I don't think it's that hard to look for /etc/package plus some suffix after that but if you're in doubt, you can just use your package manager to list the files.

That's true unfortunately. It's almost like how things are split up randomly between Local, LocalRow, Roaming, Documents, Documents\My Games, some random folder in the home directory and NTUSER.DAT on some other systems.

whereis thing

whats tmp, etc and dev for?
bin is for executables and usr is for configurations like aliases right?

tmp is for temporary files
etc is (SUPPOSED TO BE) for configuration
dev is for devices (unix "everything is a file" - that means devices, too)
usr is more complicated, just read this: askubuntu.com/questions/130186/what-is-the-rationale-for-the-usr-directory

>Linux is hard
So am I.

There are solutions with better file systems, like gobolinux, but mainstream distributions simply refuse to implement them.

htps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GoboLinux

>how do linuxfags even manage knowing where everything is? theres no Program Files, theres no choice for where to install shit (unless you want to start using the console)
>its just a worse experience overall
im not sure if you're trolling or just pretending to be fucking retarded?

Each directory is usually pretty straight forward in what you can expect to see within it. It's hard at first but the more you work with it, the easier it becomes. Like most other things.

>how do linuxfags even manage knowing where everything is?
I don't know where things are. I don't care. I never knew where things are on windows either.
>Program Files
This isn't the only place your software will be stored in. There's a shit ton of additional stuff added to user data, app data, documents, registry and some other places. This is because most developers are shit and nobody really cares.
I think snaps isolate software into single folders each.

There's been groups of people trying to get individual maintainers to actually follow $XDG_config_home convention, and a lot of maintainers are actually switching. I wish Steam wouldn't put 3 different files in my ~/ though...

mlocate

Posts generally true/valid FS layout. Bitches he can't understand it. Fucking loser...

Attached: bait-out-of-ten.png (404x404, 15K)

>theres no Program Files
there is no program files, there is no program files (x86), there is no c:\, there is no programdata, there is no appdata, there no user folder, there is no registry
it's a miracle that loonix fags even know where to look for their software and configs!

if I want to know, what files a package installs, I just check it with dpkg -L (Debian, Ubuntu). Otherwise it's fairly straightforward once you get used to it.

I switched when Windows 98 was popular and I can't really give you a good answer to "how" I know, I guess I just learned how the file system hierarchy works and "just know" now. And it makes total sense to me. Having package managers who put the files where they belong also makes total sense to me. I really don't see why you even need an option to put files in random places. All the documentation should be in /usr/share/doc where it belongs so I know where to go if I want to read or look at a default config file. And system-wide configuration files should be in /etc/ not some random place.

If Linux is too hard to you then perhaps you should stick to Windows or a tablet. Or a computer like picture related, I'm fairly sure that's in-line with your intellectual capacity.

Attached: SDL029128908-63ca7.jpg (1086x1063, 115K)

No dynamic windows menu, no forced updates, no cortana listening to your microphone, no government backdoors, no botnet, NO NOTHING, just a bunch of random directories and files on your system. The GNU World Order gang doesn't even want to control you, and they've bragged about how they want to empower the mind-controlled masses and liberate them with education. These hippies are trying to destroy the glorious matrix-like fascist control system carefully constructed by Microsoft, Apple and Google in collaboration with the interest behind the Trump administration such as the CFR, the Bilderberg Corp and the Trilateral commission.

Attached: nwo.jpg (640x530, 109K)

I don't see how this is different from Windows
>trying to edit program.ini file
>is it in Program Files?
>is it in Program Files (x86)?
>is it in User/appdata/local?
>Is it in User/appdata/roaming
>is it in a folder in My Documents that the program created?

>I don't see how this is different from Windows
The major difference is that someone used to Windows knows how it works and how to configure that and someone used to Linux knows exactly where to look.

And I don't really mind that mpv is configured with .config/mpv/mpv.conf while compton uses .config/compton.conf, if I don't already know then it's easy to just look in .config and see what it's called. It IS messy, though, because the .config freedesktop standard wasn't always a thing so a lot of programs that's been around likes to have configuration files in $HOME/.somefile like $HOME/.mpdconf for .mpd (which, interestingly, also creates a folder in $HOME/.mpd by default but that's not where the config file is). I really can see how this would seem a bit confusing to people who are new and just switching. But it should also be noted that if screen suddenly - after decades - moved it's config file from $HOME/.screenrc to $HOME/.config/screen/screenrc then I'd probably be annoyed (though it makes sense and is what current guidelines dictate)

>theres no choice for where to install shit (unless you want to start using the console)
How would you install packages without the terminal? Some crappy GUI shit? Fuck that. I hate tech illiterate wangtards.

>It IS messy
just like local, roaming, my documents, User/, my games, my documents/my games, etc is messy
if this isn't an issue on your windows install you're probably not installing a lot of software
ps, regarding your compton example you can specify where your config resides and this isn't particularly unique to compton either, my compton config used to reside in .config/i3/compton.conf

GoBoLinux is an attempt to re-organize the filesystem.
gobolinux.org/at_a_glance.html

>your windows install
I bought a cheap 13.3" Acer desktop with a IPS screen and a Pentium N4200 and 64 GB SSD with Windows 10S and 4 GB RAM. I put a 256 PCI-e SSD in it and installed Fedora on that and I figured why not leave the Windows there since it's just 64 GB eMMC storage anyway and I might need it for something some day. I used that Windows it to download a Fedora ISO and upgrade Windows the day I bought and that's it, that's my one and only Windows install. It was interesting that it immediately offered to upgrade to Windows 10 PRO when I typed in "download fedora linux" into the browser - that is a bit creepy. I seriously doubt my wintendo install is anything near messy...

What a horrible idea, I really don't like it. That seriously looks like something cooked up by some clueless wintoddler who doesn't understand the UNIX way of doing things and just wants Linux to look and act like Windows. That file structure makes zero sense to me, it really doesn't.

..but I totally see why someone who's used Windows their entire life would prefer something like that. However, it isn't unfair to make the argument that if you're hell-bent on having it like Windows then you might as well stick to Windows.

there ya go

Attached: Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy-Standard.png (550x336, 115K)

youtube.com/watch?v=ucctAawSnj8

>tfw even I can figure out linux

If a truck driver can do it then you are a supreme level of tard.

im a truck driver too lmao
but you gotta admit that when it comes to permissions and installing shit and finding files Windows is like 4 times easier

it's because you're only used to windows, it's familiar
once you've used linux for a bit, windows will seem backwards, too

ive used a bunch of ubuntu 8, 9 and 12 a few years back
even if you know how to sudo and many other basic commands
its just too bad that so many things require you to Google and copypaste shit into the console when 99% of the time a similar issue could be resolved with UI in windows

> rpm -qc $package

>~/.program, /etc/program

If it's in /etc/ is a global config for all users, if it's on a folder inside ~/ it's an user specific config that overrides the global config.

>permissions on windows
>easy
user, windows permissions are really fucking retarded because of the whole amount there is and the bloody system users and groups.

>home/user
your files
>tmp
directory which is wiped on reboot

>bin
>dev
>etc
>usr
doesn't matter, your package manager controls those for you

Linux is for brainlets. You have to do nothing and it just works.

>~/program
Fuck those doing that.

In Ubuntu there is the heir command as well.

>That file structure makes zero sense to me, it really doesn't.
Everything a program comes with is installed on a single directory.
Why it makes no sense?

Here you go OP. This should help clear up any confuse. Most distributions do a pretty good job adhering to this:

akshually
Configs are almost never stored in program files. You need admin rights to do anything in that folder.
Having a config.ini there means that everytime the program wants to edit that file, it will need to ask for admin rights.

But your point still stands.