/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: apu-happy-meal.png (585x470, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/25765/pasting-from-clipboard-to-vi-enabled-zsh-or-bash-shell
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Tomb-Raider-GTX-1060-RX-580
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lol apu

Why is hangul only displaying some of the time?

urxvt / ncmpcpp

I've tried both noto sans cjk kr and baekmuk gulim as the default font, and the result is the same.
Boldness disabled / enabled in xresources: no difference.

Attached: urxvt ncmpcpp.png (951x1041, 671K)

This is on Antergos/Arch with training wheels, if that's relevant.

is it worth it installing proprietary amd gpu driver for gayming given that i allready have some non free packages on board like steam for example

[ 2.341588] [drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun
[ 2.341738] [drm:intel_set_pch_fifo_underrun_reporting [i915]] *ERROR* uncleared pch fifo und
[ 2.341823] [drm:cpt_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* PCH transcoder A FIFO underrun
what does that mean

No, mainly because all of AMD's dev effort is going into the free driver these days. The proprietary driver is eventually gonna be phased out I think, right now it's sticking around for GPGPU and other compute and datacenter type stuff.

the one caveat is that this stuff only got upstreamed recently, so you want to run a current kernel.

is anything actually not working because of it? If not then ignore it, various alarming-sounding but inconsequential things in dmesg are par for the course.

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/25765/pasting-from-clipboard-to-vi-enabled-zsh-or-bash-shell

This works but it inserts the text to the left instead of the right. How to fix?

for me, emacs-like behavior is better for shell
switching between mode (insert, normal) is just plain autistic
shell is supposed to be always in insert mode

I'll take it under consideration but I don't really want to learn a whole new set of key maps at the moment.

anyone?

sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda
this makes a super secret tetris game run in the console.

What are the best supported pieces of hardware for linux machines ? Nvidia, Intel or AMD ? which ones, etc ?

wtf I had no idea

your filenames aren't the same as your title tags. beets is pretty good for automatic tagging and filenames.

Attached: 2018-09-06_14:40:31.png (669x354, 40K)

What is the best program to make the touchpad work on kubuntu?
I had never used linux on a notebook.
I can't even tap the touchpad to left-click.

So, I made a gpu-passtrough. And both the qcow2 system container and a hard drive I passed in virt-manager via add hw -> disk -> /dev/sdb work slow. Like, really fucking slow. Those two are sata ssds and yet they work with a speed of a 10 years old pendrive.
Here goes my question - is it possible to pass a SSD with two partitions (one for system, one for data) in a way similar to gpu-passtrough? (with close-to-native performance)

I'm a brainlet and I don't know how to stop openvpn after starting it from the console like so:
>openvpn --config path/to/file.ovpn
I always end up killing the process, how do civilized men do it?

check on phoronix if you want numbers and benchmarks.
tldr is : cpu related there is not incidence on the quality of the CPU.
GPU related, it's a bit different. Nvidia have shit open source drivers cause they don't help the community while AMD helps them by releasing spec. Their official driver is open source and provide one with some proprietary part for the vulkan implementation iirc.

Then regarding performances, Nvidia as always been ahead of amd, but lately things are moving fast and AMD add more and more stuff into the linux kernel
see phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Tomb-Raider-GTX-1060-RX-580

Is there any reason to install a flatpak or snap? I do it for all propriety stuff (steam, spotify, skype). But what about something like octave? I'm using arch but going to switch to fedora

this is the best apu ever

Don't support the windowsification of linux.

>ubuntuserver shits itself out of nowhere
>easier to just wipe it than try to fix

I use debian for my laptop idk why I used ubuntu to begin with.

Imagine this literally happening unironically on a real server

to be fair I'm an idiot and the fix is probably not that hard I just don't want to bother with that shit because I know debian will be rock solid.

What went wrong?

Attached: tenor (copy)(copy).png (525x506, 345K)

I mean updates from upstream sounds pretty good.

Perfect, I was jumping to conclusions. Thanks, user.

In this case we should be pushing things like nix and guix. They build from source directly from the developers code repository (unless a pre-compiled binary is available with the exact hash you need).

>kubuntu

crystal disk mark results after I passed the entire drive (2 partitions) with virt-manager (add hw -> disk -> /dev/sdb SATA raw no cache native IO)

results for the other partition are exactly the same

Attached: 1525525336835.png (802x692, 902K)

Where do you think all updates come from?
The distro managers?
The developers are the ones to push new versions out, all the distros do is test it with their package manager and environment so it is stable then they push it. The distro's do not do any development from upstream.

does the mouse cursor move when you touch it? If so it's just a matter of going into touchpad settings in KDE and configuring it to your liking. If it doesn't work at all then you probably need a driver or something.

I have an optimus laptop (nvs 5400m) and I discovered this configuration doesn't work seamlessly on linux. Any recommended distros/solutions/packages? I need to use both cards actively, Intel one for battery saving and novidia for running windows VM, Wine etc
I don't mind not having seamless switch, just something that isn't buggy and gets full performance

is arch any good as a server os? or is there any arch-based distro that fits this niche?

For a server, you are not going to need the absolute latest packages and you want 100% reliability. Therefore, an unstable (i.e. changing) distribution like Arch is not recommended. Something like Debian stable would be much better.

On a desktop though you want the latest packages (or at least I do) so an unstable (i.e. changing) system is good.

Attached: arch5.png (381x399, 29K)

if it's for personal purposes, sure
i've been running arch on my VPS since 2013 with no issues
it's probably not a good idea to have it setup on 100 set-and-forget machines, for that you want something like centos where you can feel pretty confident it will handle updates on its own without intervention, but for just one or two machines you actively use, then you can use whatever you like

it was mainly because arch has more packages than debian is why i asked,

Arch is a fine distro if you want all the latest software and features on your server
(dont listen to )

Nothing is "100% reliable". Not even centos or fedora. Arch is a fine server distro if you want packages that have been released this year, and not 10 year old packages. If you dont want to constantly MANUALLY maintan software updates outside of your package manager, because your disto has php v2 apache v1 imagemagick v1 or gd v1 from 10 years ago, arch is a great option.

Save an hour of every weekend to read the front page for manual intervention and check what is being updated. thats all the maintenance you need

what packages do you need?

protip: instead of reading the front page, aurman will print out news items for you, similar to what gentoo's emerge does

I'm having trouble understanding; you passed both a qcow2 file and a direct drive through a vm?
If it's an overlay qcow2 file, it's going to be slow.

That is beyond the scope of a aur wrapper. All it need to do is wrap pacman to access the aur api. Not parse html in to my terminal
Also aurman is no longer being publicly developed the developer turned it closed source

what the actual fuck seems like I got kernel panic because of idk, reasons? and it's all fixed now
wtf

still, if anyone has any idea what tf is happening - pls do share

nope, I made a new VM and just selected /dev/sdb as a device I want to install it on

I'm not too familiar with virt-manager as I just have a script for qemu, but are you using virtio drivers? They really do help. Windows require special drivers for virtio devices though

You should check why you got a kernel panic as that may reveal a larger issue.

i'm not sure which disk interface you're using, but i'm using what is said to be the fastest, virtio-scsi (scsi passthrough via virtio, not to be confused with "virtio"), and crystaldiskmark doesn't seem to recognize it

to use it, add a "virtio scsi" controller, then change your virtual disk to "scsi", once applied, you should see your disk under the "controller virtio scsi" page

Attached: a.png (1002x692, 430K)

-- oh, make sure you add a non-windows image first, so you can easily install the necessary driver for it, if you switch it over without the driver, windows won't boot

yep, virtio drivers
Not exactly sure if that was a kernel panic, but the screen froze for good both in vm and on the host machine
as I were doing pretty much nothing on the host (web browsing) and installing a steam game on the guest, I have no idea what could cause the freeze but the only culprit I can think of would be the "shared" ssd drive.
I didn't even have it mounted on the host though.

How does one go about checking recent system crashes?

pic related

Attached: 1529700120967.png (853x633, 80K)

you're not using virtio nor virtio-scsi, but sata emulation

picrel is benchmark after the freeze (and the reboot I had to make)

Attached: 1505553133525.png (802x692, 1M)

Attached: a.png (912x277, 55K)

Fuck screen tearing and fuck Intel. That is all.

Assuming systemd, journalctl -b -1
You probably ran out of memory. My computer freezes if I used up all free memory

Fuck computer beginners blaming computers.

cool, but I'm using a hard drive itself (sdb, duh) so it's not really a qcow2 file
should I switch to another bus anyways?

also, why tf did it speed up more than tenfold after a crash / reboot

just curious - is there any way to have the pre .28 gnome control center ? the new one is confusing

>should I switch to another bus anyways?
yes, i'm only talking about the interface, not the disk itself, it can be physical disk or not
mine is actually backed by a physical disk, i'm only using the qcow2 file so i can do snapshots if need be, but i can flush it out to the physical disk to boot windows on metal as well

Tell me why should I use a compositor for basic functionality that should be handled by a video card driver

>But what about something like octave? I'm using arch but going to switch to fedora
Use backports or PPA-like technologis (Ubuntu PPAs, Gentoo layman, Arch AUR, suse build service etc)

Attached: kek.png (589x422, 15K)

>disgustingly wide fonts

nVidia cards have great proprietary drivers, but they are proprietary
Radeon cards have great libre drivers.
processors just work. Keep in mind, that AMD processors are simply not affected by a bunch of Spectre/meltdown shite. Optional fimware updates are available for all modern AMD/Intel processors.
Intel graphics only have libre drivers, so they are high quality and fully functional.
Atheros wireless hardware work OOB with mainline Linux or Linux-libre.
All common wired network cards work OOB with any Linux.

ctlr c
afak / iirc

man dd

it's like advanced cp

this is from the debian install manual:

On a Linux machine, simply use the "cp" command, to copy an image to a USB flash drive:

cp

Alternatively you can also use "dd":

dd if= of= bs=4M; sync

where:

is the name of the input image, e.g. "netinst.iso"
is the device matching the USB flash drive, e.g. /dev/sda, /dev/sdb. Be careful to make sure you have the right device name, as this command is capable of writing over your hard disk just as easily if you get the wrong one!
"bs=4M" tells dd to read/write in 4 megabyte chunks for better performance; the default is 512 bytes, which will be much slower
The "sync" is to make sure that all the writes are flushed out before the command returns.

dd if=3.1mb.webm of=3mb.webm bs=3M count=1

Attached: 1512585483596.jpg (512x512, 29K)

recommend me something better then

Attached: 7e6.png (1144x888, 409K)

liberation arimo tex

How to debloat Ubuntu?

So far I've removed zeitgeist and avahi. Can't figure out how to stop gnome-settings-daemon though. Will probably remove Unity at some point too.

debian netinstall

What order do you install lineageOS,twrp and magisk?
All three xda pages contradict each other

I did twrp > lineageOS > magisk and it werks
Dunno if that's the right order tho

Can someone convince me what is the best distro to upgrade from my current Mint 19 Cinnamon to? I’m liking what I currently have, but I want to be up there with the big boys.
My predetermined biases:
>Fedora
The name. “M’lady.”
>Arch
“You have to have a high IQ to understand Rick and Morty...”
>Ubuntu
Has some botnet spyware that basically makes using this distro for privacy/anonymity pointless.
>Gentoo
I dunno, might give it a try, but I hear it takes a lot of knowledge and dedication just to set up.

CHANGE MY MIND

MX Linux

J OS (Stefan's OS)
You can run it as a guest OS if you are uncertain if you want to try it

Attached: jos2.png (1600x900, 1.07M)

Will probably run as a guest OS, though I’m already a bit iffy about it given it’s iToddler-esque look. Maybe it’s cozy though, I’ll try it.

Doing research on it rn. Any reason why you think it’s awesome?

Temp flashed twrp, installed lineage, but when i go to add Magisk or gapps, it cant mount /system to install them.I have not rebooted as both magicsk and gapps say to install them before rebooting or you have to start over from stock images

How do I learn the emacs part of spacemacs? I don't know where to start and if I try learning by actually using it I just open shit and only use the vim part

nah

>install them before rebooting or you have to start over from stock images
Wait, really? I installed magisk after using lineage for a few days and everything seems fine

I messed up with /etc/lsb-release a while ago, changing its content.
Can I verify what my current OS version is?

Would there be another way to install it? I have it pushed to /sdcard/, but twrp isnt installing them.

whats the best lightweight mpd client that isnt terminal-based?

check out your package file (.deb, .rpm, etc) that contains /etc/lsb-release

Thanks for your reply. How can I check it out?

apt-file search returns two results. What should I do next?

dpkg -S /path/to/file
rpm -qf /path/to/file

Thank you.

The first command gives as result:
base-files: /etc/lsb-release
while the second:
file /etc/lsb-release is not owned by any package

What next?

Apparently even though lineage reports both stages as complete and no error, it dosent actually install the fucking os. just a bootloop till forced to shut down and fastboot in to twrp

sonata

ur dum dud
$ ar p package.deb data.tar.xz | xz -dc | tar xOf - ./etc/lsb-release
$ bsdtar xOf package.rpm ./etc/lsb-release

Sonata if GTK
Cantata if QT

both are somewhat heavy compared to any of the terminal clients

ncmpcpp is still bae though

find out where base-files*.deb is located (usually inside /var/cache/apt/archives) and do:
$ ar p /path/to/base-files.deb data.tar.xz | xz -dc | tar xOf - ./etc/lsb-release

gonna check it out sometime soon

it doesn't boot as is with yours setup (wangblows can't read boot something something error), I'm gonna try with a new VM when I have some more time

To find its location should I use once again dpkg -S ?

$ ls /var/cache/apt/archives

In the path you wrote there are some files *.deb, so I guess it's their location.

Using the command you gave me the result is:

ar: /var/cache/apt/archives: File format not recognised
xz: (stdin): File format not recognised
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: ./etc/lsb-release: Not found in archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Cantata is what i was thinking of, i just thought it would somehow be bloated due to being a qt application.
I checked Sonata on github and it hasnt been updated since 2016, the guy also says he doesnt plan to maintain it anymore, i dont know if the fact its outdated will be an issue or not though.
I like ncmpcpp but it requires too much autistic ricing and there are some minor features like showing album art that i want, also sometimes i would just rather use the mouse to click on everything instead of having to always use the keyboard.