There were some threads here recently about NordVPN and rumours surrounding it. Check this out:

There were some threads here recently about NordVPN and rumours surrounding it. Check this out: medium.com/@derekjohanson_17934/the-dark-side-of-the-vpn-industry-a-different-look-into-the-nordvpn-data-mining-claims-c71082c53dcb

Turns out that the things aren’t what they look like. Basically some competitors are trying to spread shit about Nord. Wonder if they know that they are exposed. This whole thing is so stupid, yet interesting.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-06 at 17.44.10.png (559x528, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VrME4kn15rQ
old.reddit.com/r/ProtonVPN/comments/96m5vc/is_it_true_what_they_say/e42jtiw/
protonmail.com/privacy-policy
protonvpn.com/support/no-logs-vpn/#comment-2170
protonmail.com/blog/trusted-vpn/
webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-YXgsKysZI0J:https://medium.com/@derekjohanson_17934/the-dark-side-of-the-vpn-industry-a-different-look-into-the-nordvpn-data-mining-claims-c71082c53dcb &cd=1&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl&client=firefox-b
protonmail.com/privacy-policy)
archive.li/NBtiP
protonvpn.com/support/no-logs-vpn/
reddit.com/r/ProtonVPN/comments/93pp40/protonvpn_does_keeping_logs/e3h8vtj/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tesonet must be democrats, they're using russian bots narrative to their competitors, kek.

Reminder that these alleged accusers of Tesonet/Proton/whatever were doxxed via their ProtonMail accounts, from Proton themselves. If you have ProtonMail, delete it.

We had this thread 2 weeks ago and people knew then that it was a smear campaign.

Regardless, I'll be using a home server DNS to encrypt my traffic soon enough.

No, they didn't, shill nigger.

Both Nord and PIA are shady and both are shilling and astroturfing hard against each other, it's fucking comedy at this point.
>you are le NSA botnet
>no you are the botnet
>no you are hosted in USA shill
>and you're hosted in Lithuania shill
>and you're a Russian bot
>and you're a CIA nigger
everything astroturfed through fake twitter accounts and paid reviewers. why should I take sides?

give quick rundown (or long, since i find these type of stories very comfy and interesting)

where can i read more stories lile this?

Every VPN with affiliate marketing is just a scam.

youtube.com/watch?v=VrME4kn15rQ

Even if this isn't true, the posibility of stuff like this with companies running email services that claim to care about privacy and security are what concern me.

What's the point in making an email with a private/secure service, to later find out it actually isn't private/secure, and then have to go through all of the trouble of migrating to a new service AGAIN?

On top of that, even if something even better than Proton pops up, we have no fucking idea how long it'll last. I feel like I might as well stay with Gmail because it isn't going anywhere. I'll just try to only use my Google account for email or some shit.

Article deleted. Anybody cached it?

Absolute BS, and nice source faggot

It's propaganda.

Do you have proof?

>hey guys we're number 1 privacy company
>here's the name of our client we don't like
>he's russian by the way ;)

old.reddit.com/r/ProtonVPN/comments/96m5vc/is_it_true_what_they_say/e42jtiw/

Nord is based. My two year subscription will expire next March. I will reup easily

That doesn't prove anything that you said earlier

Nord is russian? Time to buy in.

What did you want, an FBI dossier? The doxxed guy himself is claiming this.

You sound like a shill grasping at straws.

pia really isn't shady. they're one of the few vpns with actual evidence of their no logging policy. this tesonet shit that was leaked is public information. doesn't matter if pia spread it.

proton is sketchy as fuck as well. they advertise that they don't log, yet they do. they also say they'd cooperate with the government if they felt it was for the right cause.

>they advertise that they don't log
They don't faggot. It's strictly no logs.

What does shill even mean to you, faggot? I'm not here to defend any competitor, I even think there are PIA shills here and PIA, Nord, Proton and Express are likely all data mining operations.

You don't have any proof of that retard.

I hate that Nord has become so popular on Jow Forums. It fucking sucks. It used to be my own little gem VPN that nobody knew about.

Today I got a message that I had to wait 30 seconds before I could post another image reply. It was my first post of the day.. That means someone else was using the same node and posted on the board within the time frame I was going to post. Talk about a coincidence.A few weeks ago I couldn't even use the same node because it had got a 3-day ban because of some bullshit troll on /v/. I DONT EVEN GO TO /V/

Fucking faggots clogging my shit up with your shitposting god DAMMIT.

You think it's even possible to, in this day and age? Just fuck off, nigger. I never claimed to have proof of anything, and I'm not shilling any company unlike you nigger faggot.

sorry user

>I never claimed to have proof of anything
so you're just some faggot sitting at the keyboard spewing lies everywhere for shits and giggles, fuck off, I'm tired of all these disinfo shills who do nothing but spread fud on here

Attached: 1395433224783.jpg (500x312, 56K)

STOP USING WORDS YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY MEAN

protonmail.com/privacy-policy
>IP logs are sometimes kept to combat abuse and fraud, and your IP address may be retained if you are engaged in activities that breach our terms and conditions

These CIA niggers can't even stop glowing.

Being able to inspect traffic if there is abuse is normal. It's not the same thing as keeping logs. Some guy launched a massive DDOS last month from within their network for shits and giggles and they had to shut it down before their IP's got blacklisted everywhere and caused disruption to their actual customers. Fuck off with your disinfo fud

protonvpn.com/support/no-logs-vpn/#comment-2170
>The only information we keep about the user is a single login timestamp which only contains the username and time when user logged in his/her account
going to keep shilling, faggot?

protonmail.com/blog/trusted-vpn/
proton spreading fud about pia on their own site, kek.

>Anybody cached it?

webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-YXgsKysZI0J:https://medium.com/@derekjohanson_17934/the-dark-side-of-the-vpn-industry-a-different-look-into-the-nordvpn-data-mining-claims-c71082c53dcb &cd=1&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl&client=firefox-b

Attached: you.jpg (650x381, 37K)

Terms and Conditions
You agree to not use this Service for any unlawful or prohibited activities. You also agree to not disrupt the ProtonMail networks and servers.

We may also terminate accounts which are being used for illegal activity, particularly in response to court orders from the competent authorities informing us of such illegal activity.

The Company cannot make any warranty about the reliability of the Service or guarantee the security of user data despite best efforts. The Service is provided “as is” and you agree to not hold the Company responsible nor to seek indemnification for any damages that may arise as a result of the loss of use, data, or profits connected to the performance of the Service or failure in such performance.

Furthermore, you will not hold the Company liable or seek indemnification if confidential material is unintentionally released as the result of a security failure or vulnerability in the performance of the Service.

We may make improvements and changes to the Service at any time without notice. The Company may at its sole discretion, terminate service without cause or notice.

Our Privacy Policy (protonmail.com/privacy-policy) explains the way we handle and protect your personal data and privacy in relation to your use of the Service and your browsing of the protonmail.com web site. By agreeing to the present Terms and Conditions and to be able to use the Service, you also agree to our Privacy Policy.

Within the limits of applicable law, the Company reserves the right to review and change this agreement at any time. You are responsible for regularly reviewing these Terms and Conditions. Continued use of the Service after such changes shall constitute your consent to such changes.

Archive
archive.li/NBtiP

>using anything but windscribe

t. PIA shill

HI yegor

iktf bro

t. tesonet shill

t. bioluminescent

I said both are shady while you're literally advertising PIA lmao

all i did was point out the irony of the tesonet situation, retard.

windscribe is free because it has your data. Only a fool would trust something like that.

Says the faggot who is shilling. Fuck off with your shitty fud.

My year subscription with Nord ends on 14th. What's the g-approved vpn?

Attached: 1514745196940.jpg (702x562, 61K)

you proton shills are fucking retarded. they clearly state that they do log and they will give up the information to the swiss government.

Hola - Free VPN, Secure Browsing, Unrestricted Access

mullvad is the best, except they don't have mobile clients. if you need a mobile client, ivpn is your best choice. azirevpn and ovpn.com are also good, but they are newer and lack locations and operating systems.

Mulvad

free vpns are shit. hola logs everything.

I know and it makes me wet to know someone is watching my internet usage.

>windscribe is free
then why am i paying for it

It says that they DON'T LOG you retard. Read their terms. The only thing they have is a timestamp of connection and that gets deleted. You would have to fuck up really bad if an international court was able to convince a swiss court to turn over user data. And even then, they wouldn't be able to turn over much other than the timestamp. All emails are encrypted and no one can decrypt it except you. Fuck off with your shitty fud.

Hola is great until it uses you as an end node and someone spreads cp from your home.

ProtonVPN

Yes it has paid plans but you can also use few servers for free. Of course I don't have any proof and optimistically they might make enough money so they don't need to spy anyone and "free" could be just tactic to get people to pay so who knows. I don't trust any VPN but I'm still using one.

TorGuard

actually, you're right. they do state that they don't log, but right under that they state that they actually log timestamps. that's called a contradiction and is shady as fuck, especially coming from a vpn provider.

>We will only disclose the limited user data we possess when requested by a Swiss court for the purposes of the prevention, investigation, detection or prosecution of criminal offences or the execution of criminal penalties, including the safeguarding against and the prevention of threats to public security.

so not only do they log, they will hand over the information to the government if they ask for it. proton BTFO.

Attached: 1WU8ron.jpg (800x450, 34K)

No it's not, you're just being pedantic. It's their servers, of course they will know when an IP accesses it. The no logs means they don't record your damn internet activity.

>so not only do they log, they will hand over the information to the government if they ask for it. proton BTFO.
Fuck off, they don't log and it would take an international court to convince the swiss court that it's dire. Good luck with that. Proton is far safer than other VPN's and they except BTC so you don't even need to give your personal info. Fuck off with your shitty fud.

happened again.
this is really starting to suck. Who is posting on /vg/ from nord?

Attached: screenshot.11.jpg (563x171, 30K)

>It's their servers, of course they will know when an IP accesses it.
wrong, retard. logs are easily disabled and sent to /dev/null. there is not one good vpn provider that logs. all of them have other ways of preventing ddosing and abuse. it's a shitty excuse by a shady company.
>The no logs means they don't record your damn internet activity.
they clearly state that they do log in multiple places, such as their privacy policy.
>it would take an international court to convince the swiss court that it's dire
it's obvious you don't understand how any of this works. the swiss government has cooperated with other governments in the past, and there's nothing stopping them from accessing the information themselves, as proton is very much willing to cooperate.
>they except BTC so you don't even need to give your personal info.
accepting bitcoin is standard in the vpn world. it's nothing special. every good vpn accepts bitcoin, but not every vpn that accepts bitcoin is good.

>wrong, retard. logs are easily disabled and sent to /dev/null. there is not one good vpn provider that logs. all of them have other ways of preventing ddosing and abuse. it's a shitty excuse by a shady company.
That's just absolute BS and FUD retard. None of their IP connections are stored permanently. And no logs are kept of traffic. Fuck off you brainlet spreading FUD

>they clearly state that they do log in multiple places, such as their privacy policy.
A server timestamp is NOT the same thing as an activity log, surely someone with a 50 IQ like you could understand that

>it's obvious you don't understand how any of this works. the swiss government has cooperated with other governments in the past, and there's nothing stopping them from accessing the information themselves, as proton is very much willing to cooperate.
Wrong again retard. Proton accounts are protected by strict Swiss privacy laws. They are far safer than many other services which will gladly bendover for the NSA and their shadow courts. You are the one who obviously has no idea what you're saying which means you're either a retard or a paid shill.

>accepting bitcoin is standard in the vpn world. it's nothing special. every good vpn accepts bitcoin, but not every vpn that accepts bitcoin is good.
If you use BTC and give NO personal info, WTF are they going to give out even if they did comply with some imaginary court order? That's right, zilch. Now fuck off and kys.

This just seems like a smear campaign against Nord desu senpai

>That's just absolute BS and FUD retard. None of their IP connections are stored permanently. And no logs are kept of traffic. Fuck off you brainlet spreading FUD
there are more types of logs than ip connections, retard. traffic, bandwidth, dns requests, timestamps, etc. proton logs timestamps, which puts their users at risk, no matter how you try to spin it.
>A server timestamp is NOT the same thing as an activity log, surely someone with a 50 IQ like you could understand that
a timestamp of when the user connects to the vpn is a log, and therefore a security risk. and contradicting themselves in their own privacy policy makes them even shadier, and stupid.
>Wrong again retard. Proton accounts are protected by strict Swiss privacy laws. They are far safer than many other services which will gladly bendover for the NSA and their shadow courts. You are the one who obviously has no idea what you're saying which means you're either a retard or a paid shill.
maybe 20 years ago. the swiss government currently cooperates with intelligence agencies around the world, and their privacy laws are getting worse. once again, there's nothing stopping the swiss government from getting data from proton. they've clearly stated they are willing to cooperate.
>If you use BTC and give NO personal info, WTF are they going to give out even if they did comply with some imaginary court order? That's right, zilch. Now fuck off and kys.
first off, faggot, bitcoin can be tracked. second off, faggot, any and all data can be correlated and used against you. usernames with timestamps is way too much.

>proton logs timestamps, which puts their users at risk, no matter how you try to spin it.
All vpn's have a timestamp, you're just retarded. You couldn't connect to the server without there being a connection.

>a timestamp of when the user connects to the vpn is a log, and therefore a security risk. and contradicting themselves in their own privacy policy makes them even shadier, and stupid.
no it's not, how would that be a risk if there's a 1,000 fucking people on the same VPN IP, it doesn't mean jack shit and you know it, you're just spreading fud again

>maybe 20 years ago. the swiss government currently cooperates with intelligence agencies around the world, and their privacy laws are getting worse. once again, there's nothing stopping the swiss government from getting data from proton. they've clearly stated they are willing to cooperate.
more fud, I can only find one instance where they cooperated and it involved an international kidnapping incident

>first off, faggot, bitcoin can be tracked. second off, faggot, any and all data can be correlated and used against you. usernames with timestamps is way too much.
you can use monero faggot, fuck off. I don't like BTC anyways I know it's not fungible like monero. you're just spreading lies and fud at this point and don't have a leg to stand on. ProtonVPN is one of the best, safest VPN's, period. a timestamp doesn't mean shit if they can't connect a user to a certain set of traffic, fuck off and die

>All vpn's have a timestamp, you're just retarded. You couldn't connect to the server without there being a connection.
you're a moron. logging can be disabled with one command in openvpn. logging is a choice, and vpn providers that log are shady.
>no it's not, how would that be a risk if there's a 1,000 fucking people on the same VPN IP, it doesn't mean jack shit and you know it, you're just spreading fud again
we aren't talking about vpn ips. we are talking about proton keeping logs of timestamps. stick to the point.
>more fud, I can only find one instance where they cooperated and it involved an international kidnapping incident
thanks for proving my point.
>you can use monero faggot, fuck off. I don't like BTC anyways I know it's not fungible like monero.
clearly you don't know it's not fungible, considering the fact that you claimed bitcoin was anonymous in an earlier reply.
>you're just spreading lies and fud at this point and don't have a leg to stand on. ProtonVPN is one of the best, safest VPN's, period. a timestamp doesn't mean shit if they can't connect a user to a certain set of traffic, fuck off and die
"proton is the best vpn!!!!11 maybe people will believe it if i keep saying it!!!!!" good vpns don't log and condradict themselves in their privacy policies. faggot shill.

>these long-ass responses

I don't know who's shilling who anymore.

>you're a moron. logging can be disabled with one command in openvpn. logging is a choice, and vpn providers that log are shady.
They're not logging you retard faggot, they clearly state that they don't in their ToS

>we aren't talking about vpn ips. we are talking about proton keeping logs of timestamps. stick to the point.
But that is the fucking point, that's exactly what happens. 1,000's of ppl use the same IP, and to the external world, it's impossible to know who was behind that IP if there's a 1,000 other ppl, and since Proton doesn't log traffic, there's no way to know which one of the 1,000 ppl was behind that activity.

>clearly you don't know it's not fungible, considering the fact that you claimed bitcoin was anonymous in an earlier reply.
clearly I did since I mentioned it when you started screeching about bitcoin. now you're just butthurt that another one of your flimsy arguments fell apart.

>"proton is the best vpn!!!!11 maybe people will believe it if i keep saying it!!!!!" good vpns don't log and condradict themselves in their privacy policies. faggot shill.
I never said they were the best, I said they were one of the best, there's other good ones out there as well (see privacytools.io for a list) and I'm not shilling for them, but you're definitely shilling against them which means you're probably just some paid shill out to collect shekels by attacking good services. Fuck off and kys asap.

>stick to the point.
Says the person who completely derailed a thread about Nord to a fud attack on Proton. Ironic.

PIA is most likely a govt honeypot. They are US based and not recommended by privacytools.io

>They're not logging you retard faggot, they clearly state that they don't in their ToS
"we store a single timestamp of your accounts most recent login"
protonvpn.com/support/no-logs-vpn/
>But that is the fucking point, that's exactly what happens. 1,000's of ppl use the same IP, and to the external world, it's impossible to know who was behind that IP if there's a 1,000 other ppl, and since Proton doesn't log traffic, there's no way to know which one of the 1,000 ppl was behind that activity.
logs are logs, retard. anything and everything can be correlated and used against you.
>clearly I did since I mentioned it when you started screeching about bitcoin. now you're just butthurt that another one of your flimsy arguments fell apart.
says the retard who believes bitcoin is anonymous.
>I never said they were the best, I said they were one of the best, there's other good ones out there as well (see privacytools.io for a list) and I'm not shilling for them, but you're definitely shilling against them which means you're probably just some paid shill out to collect shekels by attacking good services. Fuck off and kys asap.
you're a terrible shill. one of the worst i've ever encountered. you get shit on with evidence and dig yourself a deeper hole. get fucked, fuddy duddy.

proton is just as involved in the tesonet scandal as nord is, you absolute faggot.

now that's how I know you're a PIA shill for real. Proton has nothing to do with this, they proved on their subreddit that there's no connection, and they are not even mentioned one time in that lawsuit you mention. Try harder faggot and enjoy using your honeypot.

Attached: 1535760083612.png (320x287, 104K)

>"we store a single timestamp of your accounts most recent login"
That's not a fucking activity log you fucking braindead retard. Every server creates a timestamp when you login. And they state it's not stored permanently.

>logs are logs, retard. anything and everything can be correlated and used against you.
Still not a log faggot. Try harder.

>says the retard who believes bitcoin is anonymous.
I never once said that. You're just putting words in my mouth. I simply said that paying with BTC doesn't reveal personal info to the provider. I never once stated that it was anonymous, hence why I said monero. God you have the IQ of a potato.

>you're a terrible shill. one of the worst i've ever encountered. you get shit on with evidence and dig yourself a deeper hole. get fucked, fuddy duddy.
says the PIA shill. You provided no evidence and merely spread fud and rumors around. Get bent faggot.

the only thing they proved on their subreddit is that they're a shady company. comments and threads speaking against them were deleted and locked. i don't use pia, faggot. mullvad all the way.

>That's not a fucking activity log you fucking braindead retard. Every server creates a timestamp when you login. And they state it's not stored permanently.
it's an identifying log, retard. timestamps can easily be correlated. username + timestamp = gold mine.
>Still not a log faggot. Try harder.
it is a log, according to every definition, retard.
>I never once said that. You're just putting words in my mouth. I simply said that paying with BTC doesn't reveal personal info to the provider. I never once stated that it was anonymous, hence why I said monero. God you have the IQ of a potato.
"If you use BTC and give NO personal info, WTF are they going to give out"
you clearly implied bitcoin is anonymous, retard.
>says the PIA shill. You provided no evidence and merely spread fud and rumors around. Get bent faggot.
says the proton shill. you provided no evidence and merely spread fud and rumors around. get bent faggot.

i directly quoted and cited articles proving my point. you did the complete opposite. you proton shills need to step your game up.

reddit.com/r/ProtonVPN/comments/93pp40/protonvpn_does_keeping_logs/e3h8vtj/

>We don't monitor network traffic, but when we get a complaint, we do have the ability to check network traffic, and we will check network traffic when we become aware of a potential security issue.

YIKES! wonder what else they'd turn on if the government approached them...

and yet they've proven twice in court against the fbi that they don't log

b.b..b...b..but that doesn't count, user!!!!!

lmfao, PIA shills actually believe this.
go light up a DDoS on their network and they WILL find you.

>mullvad all the way.
Most likely a honeypot as well. Enjoy your "anonymity"

>and yet they've proven twice in court against the fbi that they don't log
Anti-PIA shills will literally never address this.

>it's an identifying log, retard. timestamps can easily be correlated. username + timestamp = gold mine.
No, they can't retard.

>it is a log, according to every definition, retard.
No it's a connection, nothing more. And they don't save it. Mullvard, PIA, whoever, they all have a record of the connections to their server. Only an absolute brainlet like you would believe this doesn't happen on servers.

>you clearly implied bitcoin is anonymous, retard.
I never said it was anonymous, faggot. I said it didn't give your personal info out, which is true. I know BTC isn't perfect which is why I said XMR is the way to go if you want to make sure all lose ends are tied up.

>says the proton shill. you provided no evidence and merely spread fud and rumors around. get bent faggot.
Nice deflection and shifting the burden of proof to me. You're the one making the claims here, I'm simply saying you're full of shit. You provided no evidence to back up any of your fud, other than a few random reddit links, which actually proved my point if you read them all carefully. Try harder, stay salty, and get bent faggot.

>Anti-PIA shills will literally never address this.
PIA is hosted in the US, they are not recommended by privacytools.io
A court case involving some random guy who used BTC to purchase PIA doesn't prove they don't keep logs. What if the guy hadn't used BTC and had paid with a CC? Heh, it would be a different story. They WILL rat you out for sure if they have the right data or a real FISA order, not some punk who was sending threats. Mullvad is probably ok since they are in a non-14 eyes country like Proton.

>appeal to authority and rationalization
Absolute state of shills.

Mullvad will give you leet cred, but there's a reason more people use different services. It's like the difference between a major bank and a credit union.

Always listen to a Rossmann when it comes to shilling.

it's possible, which is why i don't use them. i'll stick to incredibly transparent vpns with nothing shady about them in any way.

>No, they can't retard.
yes, they can retard.
>No it's a connection, nothing more. And they don't save it. Mullvard, PIA, whoever, they all have a record of the connections to their server. Only an absolute brainlet like you would believe this doesn't happen on servers.
mullvad doesn't log anything. they clearly state this in their non-contradictory privacy policy, and tell you exacatly how it's done. they even give you the commands they put into their openvpn server.
>I never said it was anonymous, faggot. I said it didn't give your personal info out, which is true. I know BTC isn't perfect which is why I said XMR is the way to go if you want to make sure all lose ends are tied up.
once again, you implied it, faggot. then you backtracked.
>Nice deflection and shifting the burden of proof to me. You're the one making the claims here, I'm simply saying you're full of shit. You provided no evidence to back up any of your fud, other than a few random reddit links, which actually proved my point if you read them all carefully. Try harder, stay salty, and get bent faggot.
i backed up all my claims with direct links to proton's site. meanwhile you've provided absolutely nothing. get fucked.

Quick questions.

If VPN's aren't keeping log, how do they know the amount of simultaneous connections you're using (to prevent multi-user abuse)?

Secondly, even if VPN's aren't keeping logs, what exacly preventing the VPS's they lease out from having some sort of backdoors? They do physical access to the servers and guys in black suits could show up at any time and install hardware backdoors.

>PIA is hosted in the US
jurisdiction doesn't matter when it comes to the us. the only countries who wouldn't cooperate with the us government are more corrupt and worse off starting a vpn service in, such as russia or china.
>they are not recommended by privacytools.io
who gives a fuck. half of the vpns they recommend have no leak protection and a few of them have been involved in shady ass scandals.
>They WILL rat you out for sure if they have the right data or a real FISA order, not some punk who was sending threats.
pia got tested in court and held up. your shilling is irrelevant.
>Mullvad is probably ok since they are in a non-14 eyes country
mullvad is in sweden, which is in the 14 eyes. proton is in switzerland, which has cooperated with 3 letter agencies in the past.

>If VPN's aren't keeping log, how do they know the amount of simultaneous connections you're using (to prevent multi-user abuse)?
They don't. What people commonly refer to 'no logs' is a set of information called usage logs, while virtually all services maintain a set of information called connection logs.

They can check if you're currently using it by asking the running OpenVPN server instance if you're connected. This information is stored in memory of that OpenVPN server instance, and is not logged to the disk

>Secondly, even if VPN's aren't keeping logs, what exacly preventing the VPS's they lease out from having some sort of backdoors? They do physical access to the servers and guys in black suits could show up at any time and install hardware backdoors.
Encryption.

>If VPN's aren't keeping log, how do they know the amount of simultaneous connections you're using (to prevent multi-user abuse)?
automated monitoring systems. username and total connections get limited in real time. nothing gets logged. mullvad and ovpn do this.
>Secondly, even if VPN's aren't keeping logs, what exacly preventing the VPS's they lease out from having some sort of backdoors? They do physical access to the servers and guys in black suits could show up at any time and install hardware backdoors.
any vpn worth their salt doesn't use virtual servers. dedicated servers in trusted datacenters, with their own rack and locks.

good services do not maintain any identifiable logs.

that's why you don't have an username in TOR.