My dormitory’s fire alarm goes off multiple times a week. Usually, it’s because of cooking. Last time...

My dormitory’s fire alarm goes off multiple times a week. Usually, it’s because of cooking. Last time, someone burnt rice.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Attached: 3F4BBF33-8A29-4937-8B33-8E380179E601.jpg (4032x3024, 1.37M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/EYucb-F-Q5w
youtu.be/RhI9rnuQXAw
youtu.be/z49RTrkmjRU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Used to have this problem in my flat till I just took it off the ceiling

Yeah, that will just send campus security knocking on the door

since when do dorms have kitchens? disconnect everyones stove and force everyone go back to Easy Mac and ramen noodles out of their microwave if they cant handle cooking rice
>fucking RICE

My reaction exactly. Worse part? They managed to set off three smoke detectors! They set off the circled smoke detectors in their suite.

Attached: EBCF7CBB-5470-4E06-A2B9-CA715142D237.jpg (3148x1050, 524K)

A couple of times in college, once at 1 AM

So far, there has been three. And to set the alarm off, two or more detectors need to activate.

You just gave me an idea. Would latte sipping Califaggots be stupid enough to buy a "Smart Firealarm"?
And yes, of course I would make it a botnet.

English translation anyone?

Those already exist and tie into an existing security system.

>living in a dorm
>not getting off-campus housing
Look at this poorfag

My roommate in college grilled chicken one time and triggered the smoke detectors. He didn't even burn it. After that, he covered the smoke detector with a towel before he cooked.

Shower caps work better. Just make sure it isn't a laser/infrared detector like some hotels have now. Basically there's an emitter on one side of the room and a receiver on the other. Covering up the detector alerts the desk that you're circumventing the detector.

fucking dumb college shits cant even cook lmao the absolute STATE of your generation

At least we’re not as bad as the millennials

No, they actually fine people for false alarms here.

Nice idea, user

I'm a programmer, not a chef. I only cook since I'm studying instead of earning cash.

Then learn how to program a rice cooker, slow cooker, microwave, or oven to shut off before you burn your fucking food.

Why don't you make rice that doens't burn

As if people who can cook never produced any smoke.

Some fire alarms are set off by you grilling vegetables.

>grilling indoors

George Foreman was a mistake.

>Has this happened to anyone else?
I've never burnt rice.

Not every week, but fairly often.

Ah Simplex 4906, anyone else a fire alarm aspie?

Attached: s-l225.jpg (225x225, 8K)

We had like 3 dorm-wide fire alarm + evacuations in the first 2 weeks of my first semester of college. After that it only happened like once a month as kids either learned how to cook without burning shit or had their hot plates, rice cookers, and george foreman grills confiscated (none of that shit was allowed in the dorm rooms in my dorm).

The better question is would people buy easyrice? Think easymac but with rice.

It's called minute or instant rice. It's basically pre-cooked and then dehydrated rice, all you have to do is add some hot water, stir, and let it sit and soak the water up for a few minutes. It's been a thing forever here in America.

When i was at university people would pull it afew times a month during the Canadian winter night just to piss people off because its a mandatory evacuation and then you are standing in snowbanks at 3 am with your pyjamas on... assholes.

Welp thats my fire alarm story see ya

how are they supposed to find out?

They do. Rapidly cookable rice, pre-cooked rice, canned pre-cooked rice, everything exists?

OTOH if its for yourself: Fuck that shit, get a decent enough asian rice cooker and absolutely normal rice.

It's gross. A rice cooker is cheap as hell. Just add rice, water, turn on, done.

t. bugman

>America
>Good Food
choose one

even your rice is chemically processed food
>americans..

Jasmine rice at the local immigrant market. Make sure it isn't sticky, sweet etc. First crop is usually the best.

>A rice cooker is cheap as hell
Most of the cheap shit that acts like a crappy water cooker is cheap as hell. Better spend a hundred bucks or so on one that properly cooks rice, preferably capable of some pressure.

Or learn how to use a pressure cooker pan - that also results in good rice.

I also very much like that, but every kind of rice is neat if you cook it well. Short grain, long grain, brown, ... rice is just good food.

>>>/reddit/

yes you are
imagine thinking you need to be a chef to not burn food. and you're a programmer? i bet you call your mother daily.
git gud

Eh, it's not too bad. I only use it for camping trips because it's quicker and easier to prepare using a camp stove or camp fire than regular rice is. I have a rice cooker that I use at home.

It's not chemically processed any more than regular rice. It's just standard rice that's cooked normally and then dehydrated using hot air until it's dry again. It's not ideal but it is quick and foolproof for the people who "can't cook" or "don't have time to cook".

>git gud
Oh, I am good enough to not set off my smoke detectors in the kitchen

Emphasis on my smoke detectors. If some faggot had installed super sensitive ones I might have some trouble.

>Last time, someone burnt rice.
I assume you executed them on the spot?

freshman year some kid though it'd be fun to grab the hallway fire extinguisher and spray some other kid with it, set off the fire alarm at like 3 AM. we all had to evacuate the building and stand outside in the cold wondering what the hell was happening. school gave the kid 24 hours to pack his shit and get out of the dorm.

lrn 2 temperature control and proper pan seasoning pleb

>jasmine rice
mah nigga

as a whitey i feel blessed to know the dark ancient asian secrets of jasmine rice

Commercial fire detector systems tend to be wired up in a line, with each one connected to the next. How one reacts when removed will depend on how it's setup.
Some may immediately trigger an alarm when the circuit is interrupted, others notify an alarm panel which is monitored by security or maintenance so an entire floor/building doesn't have to be evacuated if someone removes the detector.
Modern systems are much harder to tamper with. If you want to disable a smoke detector, just cover it like construction sites.

>on campus is cheaper
where did you go to college?

Yeah I mean an actual steam cooker from the local asian market. I have a digital one that was pricey but it can cook white, brown, sticky etc. A cheapo $15 steam cooker with a locking top can be found easily.

For camping trips or whatever yeah it gets by, but I've found it to be soggy and the texture severely lacking.

Western Carolina and Appalachian State. At Western I rented a double-wide right in the middle of campus (campus is a U-shape) and split the rent with 2 friends. Private bedroom, a real kitchen and living room, no restrictions since it was off-campus. Could literally throw a rock and hit the nearest dorm building.

Appalachian State I rented an apartment with another friend that had shuttle service to/from the campus.

In both instances, when taking into account dorm fees, parking fees, meal plans, and not having to deal with being placed into a dorm with some fatass stranger or random jock who gets drunk every night at 4am when you're trying to study - definitely worth it.

Many apartments/rentals will even pay off your dorm fees if you move.

Me
The fire alarm system in my dorm is programmed to go off when two or more detectors activate. When one activates, they know exactly what one went off. Same if someone removes one.

Tell everyone to put a condom over the sensor while frying rice.

Immediately after I opened this thread the shitty complex next to me had their fire alarm go off. Eerie.

How do you burn rice to the point it sets off a fucking fire alarm

>cover it
This, use a shower cap with an elastic band or something. Or go full v tec, yo.

No clue

Bump

You forget about it, all of the water boils away, and eventually it starts smoking, just like practically any other foodstuff would do. Is it really that hard to conceive?

Almost everyone has a phone and can set a time or alarm.

>boiling rice
What is wrong with you?

I'm not talking about myself you little nigger(s), I'm just saying it's not a stretch of the imagination to see how cooking rice might set off a fire alarm.

It will keep happening until the end of the year.
Weed addicts will blow their garbage smelling smoke into their room because they are literally fucking braindead and set off the alarm.
It will happen at least once a week.

>Usually, it’s because of cooking. Last time, someone burnt rice.
It's supposed to go off when people are literally close to burning down the kitchen.

is this your dorm? it looks fucking huge, are you serious? i live in a fucking prison cell with a bed and desk only

I now guys who use the smoke alarm as a cooking timer.

>i live in a fucking prison cell with a bed and desk only
Getting you ready for your post-college life.

>anyone else hate how smoke detectors work correctly?
>it fucking sucks

My dorm room was bigger than the one in that pic and also had a kitchenette. Not sure what kind of shitty school you went to.

Rice is one of the fucking easiest things to cook.
You just boil it for like 10 mins and then turn it off and let it soak/evaporate. Just use a kitchen timer, they cost $1.

see
Have you seen how dumb the average 20-something year old is? Especially the average student who's blasted on alcohol, weed, and other magical things 24/7?

>move into student housing
>only white guy
>south african guy loves his steak seared
>cooks weird meme shit that always burns
>sets off the fire alarm at least once a week
>sometimes at 3am when he gets home drunk

Time for 20 of your residents to meet him the next time he comes home drunk, each of you having a bar of soap inside a sock.

That won’t stop them.

Some dude in my dorm put popcorn in the microwave for 15 minutes and then jumped in the shower.

Another broke the sprinkler by hanging laundry on it and flooded three floors (thankfully they were below us).

College shows how stupid some people really are.

Why not go Samantha Pucket and use cold butter instead?

>popcorn for 5 minutes
………
>hanging shit in the sprinkler head
That’s somewhat understandable

They shouldn't be given kitchens to kill themselves in.

>>hanging shit in the sprinkler head
No, that's fucking retarded.
Don't hang things on shit that isn't made to hang things. It's like they never climbed a tree as a xhild.

Yeah. A bunch of faggots would hot-box their dorm rooms and set the fucking alarms off at the worst possible time. My favorite was 1AM on a Monday in the middle of a blizzard.

I'm so glad I graduated.

Damn, that sucks. About how long did it take for them to get to the dorm. Based on the videos I’ve recorded, it took them about 20 minutes to get to my dorm.

>The fire alarm works
Yes I have experienced this particular issue

About five minutes, but it was another 15 until they allowed us back in the dorm. I'm not joking, retards like that got the FD called to our dorm at least 20 times that year.

was a DAILY occurrence at most dorms at LSU when i went in the early 2000s

Tomorrow is the last day of the second week, and we’ve had three false alarms so far.

There was almost a fourth one a few hours ago, but only one detector went off and they were able to get the smoke from activating another detector.

That's why you buy a house?

>hanging shit on a sprinkler head is understandable

Not if you have even the vaguest understanding of how they work.

>Tomorrow is the last day of the second week, and we’ve had three false alarms so far

kek, have a fun year.

I’m just saying to a dumbass college student, it’s a perfect hanger for a hanger.

Popcorn for fifteen minutes, they’re not that dumb.

Thanks

Vids of the evacuations
1. youtu.be/EYucb-F-Q5w
2. youtu.be/RhI9rnuQXAw
3. youtu.be/z49RTrkmjRU

Nice fucking blog

College is a SCAM stop paying people that only dumb down your brain

Attached: fact'.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

Fuck off, Peter

Bump.

>being so poor you have to live in a dorm

Attached: 1535954637500.png (1440x1557, 738K)

>Some dude in my dorm put popcorn in the microwave for 15 minutes and then jumped in the shower.
Was there an investigation into his thought process? I get "oh look something can hang off this thing" with a sprinkler but almost all microwaveable items go into the 2-5 minute range. What did he think was going to happen?

>being so poor you have to live in a [luxury apartment being charged at a premium]
Welcome to the 21st century.

my apartment is cheaper than an overpriced dorm, and more comfy

Yeah, not where I live.

Take a Ziploc bag and put it over it. This is how me and my first year roommate turned our room into a smoking lounge like what Kramer did. Got caught though when we had 10 people smoking cigars few months later. Or just brute force knock it out