Why is everything getting smaller but not better?

Why is everything getting smaller but not better?

Attached: 1503447136154.jpg (1150x664, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/passed-the-certification.83339/
browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/9738991
pine64.org/?page_id=3707
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's just how things are.

Attached: 1503447136154.jpg (50x29, 5K)

Attached: 987.png (25x15, 1K)

>Winbloat10
>60Gb out of the box and accumulating after each update
>"smaller"

These things are so cute. Nice netbook replacements.

Smaller is better?

_

prices are still too high

die shrinks

moore's law is done after 5mm. anything smaller means quantum tunneling will fuck your shit up

"...Hello?"
"..."

>Why is everything getting smaller
where are my smol

>I could buy this for $500
>Or a Viao P for $400

WHAT THE FUCK

I JUST WANT A SMALL LAPTOP

Attached: 1535652049469.jpg (267x458, 21K)

I've ordered one. It's gonna replace my aging AUS eeePC 900AX.
I am so glad I am using an actual OS that can run just fine with these specs.

Attached: 1516709507792.jpg (189x189, 6K)

Like your dick?

ROFL WASTED

>but not better?
because the OS in your pic is w10 when small low powered device like that should be using linux.

Not my fault. Tell your mom to put on makeup next time.

>smaller but not better
Smaller is never better.

Compare computers now to fifty years ago, and say that again. Idiot

Based

>then: computers
>now: botnets
Yup, certainly worse. Stay small and mad, incel.

Internet unironically ruined computing

Attached: lainkurz.png (392x309, 180K)

would you rather have this,,?

Attached: 1399318931111.jpg (3264x2448, 3.3M)

I bet that one created a lot of jobs

door knocker pls go

>Vaio P
Garbage hardware and drivers

The pyra is better

Attached: 1498947762626.jpg (3000x4000, 1.48M)

Idk why but this made me chuckle

I love the idea of the pyra..

but it's crazy expensive

Pyra a qt

Attached: _.png (800x533, 3K)

Ask your dick.

gl hf

>getting smaller.

The way tech should be. How we went from Psions and netbooks to 6 inch smartphones and still heavy laptops is beyond me.

If we even get 5nm. It might literally not be worth it

Because you bought some noname chinkshit.

smaller is better, just ask you gf

27th pbp

And will they ever actually launch or is it the Star Citizen of hardware units?

Soon(tm)
pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/passed-the-certification.83339/

Holy shit, I thought those were supposed to come out earlier this year.
>TFW the Samsung Galaxy Note II had similar specs and came out in 2012
>TFW this thing is going to be 7 years behind by the time it comes out
>TFW the Neo900 still isn't out with no hint that it will ever be released
>TFW the Neo900 will be 9 years behind spec wise if it's released at the same time as the Pyra
>TFW by the time either of these come out, 2G and 3G service will be months away from being discontinued (if they come out next year) or will already be discontinued in the US, and neither of these nor currently existing phones that can run FSF approved OSes (which are all 2012 models or older) have VoLTE support to allow phone calls over a 4G connection natively without paying for a separate VOIP service
It was a great run guys, but I guess it's going to be dumbphones only in the near future if you want something that can make calls. On a side note, Verizon won't even activate phones that don't support 4G with VoLTE anymore.

Attached: 1474041150042.jpg (546x896, 55K)

It's about the same as other umpcs.
I know your feel, I want something I can always have with me that can edit text files.
I'm form /lit/ and I often day deem about story ideas and want to it write down then and there.
Smartphones are horrible at that, and everything useful for that mater.

this thing is adorable desu

honestly, put a light weight linux distro on it and I bet it can be pretty sweet

fpbp

Attached: 13x13 costanza.jpg (13x13, 358)

What do you mean? Pic related is 13"-14" yet it has a dGPU when similar 15" options still offer a single CPU/APU and nothing else.

Attached: huawei_matebook_x_pro.jpg (960x540, 64K)

Based and redpilled

yall niggas is weird

Attached: ELON MUSK.png (1522x903, 297K)

I honestly hope the next iteration is gonna be even smaller wo you can actually fit it inside a normal pocket.

>2G and 3G discontinued

NANI? How will you play those java games now if sites like phonekey go down?

Attached: rsz_feature_phones.png (1024x948, 845K)

but the gpd pocket is smaller and better
and cute

Attached: IMG_20180808_215141675.jpg (2048x1152, 285K)

i want one of these but 5-600 for something running an atom is just too damn high considering that you'll never be able to repair or upgrade it.

>Vaio P
>1/10th the size of other laptops
>1/10th the performance

...Years later
>GPD Pocket
>1/10th the size of other laptops
>1/10th the performance of contemporary laptops
>Same performance as laptops from 7 years ago
>Finally useful Vaio P
I'm sorry OP, what's your problem here?

Vaio P's are up to around $300 last time I checked.
I got mine when the GPD Win released and they were down to $200.
I still want a second gen tho. I'm either gonna give mine an SSD upgrade or fabricate a drop-in replacement for it's PCB so I can run the thing of a system-on-module.
That said, while fun, I didn't realize the GPD pocket is actually the same depth as the Vaio P, just not as wide. I thought it was bulkier, but it's actually far more compact. Plus, far bigger battery.

you dont really need to though. we're past the point of upgrading cpus in laptops they're all soldered now.

it has 8gb of ram, if you're going to do any heavy work on this thing you would just remote in somewhere else anyways.

its also a real quad core cpu running at 2.6ghz. if you upgrade the cooling with thermal pads it almost never throttles unlike every stupid ultra portable without active cooling

it runs halo 1 at 1920x1200, papers please, ftl etc. it can do steam in home streaming from bed.

If anyone has any questions or wants to see any benchmarks let me know I cant fucking sleep

Dumb fucks didn't use system-on-module.
I swear to god I could do a better job in the span of a month, and honestly, I just might to spite them.

Archives, your own 2g network?
Emulators?

My Vaio P is fine as a little linux box, even though I mostly use windows on it
Actually, I'm curious, could someone here with a GPD Pocket (Cough ) run a geekbench on it? I wanna compare it to what my Vaio P gets. Just geekbench 4 or whatever.
Anyway, I'm replacing my Vaio P's motherboard, well, buying another to replace it's motherboard. When you know PCB design, anything's upgradable.

YES PLZ, I'm finding the latest version of geekbench that'll run on my P, once I get it running I'd appreciate it if you could run the same version. Stay with me for a moment.

The internet was the best thing mankind ever devised. The WEB on the other hand is a pile of hot bullshit, steaming, and fresh from the source.

Could you please run a Geekbench 4 CPU benchmark in 32 bit?

here you go:
browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/9738991

Can't run 32 bit without paying so I had to run 64 bit bench

also disclosure: i flashed the unlocked bios and upped the memory frequency from 1066 to 1600mhz. out of box it ram is not that fast but nothing is stopping you from performing this tweak.

pine64.org/?page_id=3707
how about this?

Thanks, comparing to Vaio P, just a sec...

There, Vaio P, which can handle one open GUI application in Windows 7, even some 3D stuff, my 2014 Macbook air, which handles hundreds of browser tabs, multiple applications open, browsing while rendering video, then my phone, a two year old Xiaomi with 10% charge left, so throttling, and the GPD Pocket, with twice the ram of my macbook.
I don't see why the pocket wouldn't handle nearly all daily use case scenarios, especially if you put Linux on it (But with 8GB ram, you don't need to if you don't want to. I still like *nix tho)

Attached: Minis.png (4598x1876, 3.83M)

Should have said, the Vaio P will handle a shitload of linux applications and services running simultaneously if you use something like tmux, it's a fantastic linux box. The GPD pocket is so much more powerful I don't see anything tripping it up.

Like OP's peemer?

Anybody have a gpd pocket? Im interested, but really concerned about the typing experience. Keyboard layout looks weird. Is it comfy?

another reason the gpd pocket is amazing is, 4 days after I received this laptop I broke it...

I was at the bar and spilled about 2 quarters worth of beer on the keyboard which soaked in and stopped the keyboard keys from responding. I was able to order a new keyboard on ebay for 30 bucks, take apart the whole laptop and remove 30 micro screws holding the keyboard in place and swap a new one in. I doubt a lot of other laptops this size are as easy to work on as the pocket is.

Also nice to know that I didnt fuck the mobo spilling water on the keyboard, theres a plastic adhesive sheet between the keyboard and the mobo.

the keyboard is weird as fuck, but its not too serious. the only bad things are

1. wasd isnt aligned right but who the fuck is playing fps on this

2. the ' key is in such a weird fucking spot i keep hitting the enter key when im chatting and typing fast instead of ' and it looks like im having a seizure. after i do it the first time i realize that the layout is different and I usually dont have the issue again till the next time i use the device.

3. the delete key and backspace key need to be swapped cause their position is retarded. I was able to do this in registry fine, you should also be able to do this in linux easily.

4. no middle mouse key for scrolling. not a terribly huge deal but i'm used to having one, so i used auto hot key to map the app list key to middle mouse and that works great.

the actual keys feel great to type on and its just roomy enough. i just typed all of this from my bed on the gpd pocket. why cant i fucking sleep

It needs to reflect the average IQ of people today. It will get smaller as time goes by, trust me!

Attached: 1506483367183.jpg (720x960, 68K)

They've been saying that since shit was like,65nm

Thing is, it's not all about pure size. architecture also played part as we're seeing more companies came up with nonplanar device. Between that and the recent discovery of commercially viable superdiaelectrics could mean we would have something to hang into until stuff like quantum computing technology matures

>everything is getting smaller
>fingers are getting fatter
so muricans can't use them :^)

Guys I think it's a right thread to ask. I need a decent 11.6" laptop with upgradable ram, non-potato hardware and no overheating or throttling problems. It also may be a 12" with small bezels or smaller than 11.6"

It's nice to hear that while you've had all those issues they were all easily resolvable, quite reassuring.

>Symbian
>PalmOS
>featurephones
uhh... user...

Attached: serious.jpg (500x375, 91K)

Does anyone know if GPD plans on continuing sales of the first gen Pocket after they release the Pocket 2?

My two pet peeves in a single comment. Moore's law is an observation, A WRONG observation as process nodes have been following more of a sigmoid function rather than a linear increase. and quantum tunneling is just a fancy way of explaining the probability of crosstalk on wires using resistance. There probaly isn't a process node where it wasn't an issue that needed to be monitored. 3/5nm is just a name that bears little resemblance to the current state and issues of process nodes. I bet manufacturers will get to 0.3nm if their marketing team allows it.

user, 10 hydrogen atoms are 1nm wide.

That cable management

Attached: 1524928274510.jpg (478x598, 64K)

will you look at that. There's just no soul in that human anymore, she ate it.

>Why is everything getting smaller but not better?

Everyone's copying the Apple model of trying to sell cutting corners as a feature of "minimalism", not to mention the general death of the computer to most people in favor of tablets and phones. As the internet gets more and more bloated without regard for old hardware that did the job perfectly fine awhile ago(programmed obsolescence), companies want to shovel out new cheap shit that only just barely does the job of processing social media and web browsing which is all most normies care about. Upmarket from their bare minimum is just middle class techie fuccbois who actually have no need for the hardware improvements, just edging closer and closer to getting that flagship models as status symbols even though they don't do anything on the $700 phone they couldn't do on the $100 one. Only a handful of people even use regular desktops anymore, almost exclusively gamers and people who need heavy hardware to do their jobs but even those computers are going corporate/cloud over personal. We're just ending up with iterations of the same thing being released with companies hoping hardware innovation will outpace bloat just enough to incentive upgrading, but even normies are saying "this is good enough" at a certain point(nobody upgrading to the iphone x).

yes what I need is a full sized HDMI port on my phone.

t. non-applefag

>full sized HDMI port

>what is mini HDMI
>what are USB-C to HDMI adaptors.

I want pic related so fucking much. But poorfag.

time to build hydrogen based computers kappa

It's quite cute, but I can't really throw 600$ while my xps13 is more than enough for my laptop needs and portable enough.

is that a real computer or just a gimmick `???

>No small form factor/near pocket sized device powered by an AMD APU
>its Atom or bust

Why bother?

Its real. GPD Pocket. Little Atom powered netbook thing.

whoa wtf!

It looks like a good computer, but I don't want the Chinese government spying on me.

The heads of six US intelligence agencies, including the heads of the FBI, CIA and NSA, have all said that you shouldn't use Huawei products because of their ties to the Chinese government.

I'm British, but still. The US is one of our best allies, so if they say that using Huawei products is a bad idea, then I'll trust them.

Ryzen is pretty new so there isn't too much variety in the SKUs. AMD did release an Athlon as a low performance part, though. We might see it extend into ultra low power territory some time in the future.

just use black hole transistors and you can have them even smaller if you can prevent them from justing everything else

imagine being this beta

I'd rather have an old Beema chip than a current Atom.