I miss Creative lads

I miss Creative lads.
When I got a Live card in the early 2000s games played much smoother like medal of honour and Winamp animation worked well with an AMD K7

Attached: 51K0ZR3QW2L.jpg (500x458, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2TLnMXfg
anandtech.com/show/87
twitter.com/AnonBabble

also miss this

Attached: zenvplus-1-091406.jpg (175x201, 9K)

and my first mp3 player

Attached: 11145416.jpg (300x300, 19K)

I miss EAX, I could have the highs spin clockwise and the mids counter-clockwise

Did they go somewhere?

i still use audigy (1&2) cards. these cards and kx project is the only reason i'm still using windows. there is no sane way to program emu10k dsp on linux. kx has been open source for years so it would be noice if someone would port kx dsp programming code to linux.

the is a open source driver that unlocks all the creative cards from that era to sound as good as the top Audigy studio grade gear if they have the EMC chip its called the KX driver its on Linux/mac/windows its a complete project but some people still bug fix it on forum in en/ru.

right now im trying to get it to work via a PCI to PCIE adaptor. it does pick up and I managed to get drivers installed but it sounds super metallic and fucked up running on a older motherboard with a PCI slot it sounds perfect.

highly recommend it im using a 1998 soundblaster 5.1 play! made in Singapore.

Why do you still use it? Offers no speed benefits and no games use EAX anymore.

I had this, brings back some memories. While it was clunkier to use than an iPod it was also a lot cheaper and its performance was satisfactory

I don't play games. I'm using its DSP to apply some enhancements like aphex exiter to music I listen. And ASIO is great with DAWs. In Linux these could be done with Jack and LADSPA plugins but it includes too much latency and Jack is unstable as hell.

I miss when Creative cared about creating cool things and didn't just re-release the same X-Fi DSP over and over again with a different DAC attached. At some point, they must have gotten rid of their engineers and replaced them with marketing people.

Pretty certain creative owns E-MU. They make good headphones.

Attached: 361A2698_20170728114210.jpg (955x637, 69K)

>JACK
>unstable
what

>implying I'm not running one of these bad boys RIGHT NOW in 2018

Attached: soundblasterz.jpg (700x477, 77K)

How are the KX drivers better thant he Creative ones? Do they Work on Win10 x64? I've got a X-Fi Xtreme Music

based
i got a good deal on a preowned one

Attached: 1533320301488.jpg (499x357, 32K)

>he didn't buy the one with the cool red LEDs
brainlet detected

only have this

Attached: 81h9Yl7QdbL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 16K)

How do you deal with the drivers always setting your headphones to 5.1 on startup? Its really fucking annoying when windows updates and I have to reboot.

Install Linux, fixes this issue.

wouldn't you want it to be in 5.1 for virtual surround memes

CPUs are so good now that high quality audio has negligible overhead. I mean you could literally dedicate a CPU thread to it, no big deal.

>that boomer who still uses sound cards

Explain then why Intel is switching back to using DSP's, and creating a huge open source DSP firmware initiative. DSPs are making a comeback.

I regret that I never got to hear A3D used in anger. From what I hear it was pretty awesome, but aureal ended up going bust due to a lawsuit.

EAX could sound pretty damn good, but not many games used it that well.

No, fuck virtual surround. Muh stereo panning.

is the SB0200, EMU10K1X-DBQ one of the cards that has the chip?
I'm actually curious on how it might sound compaired to my on-board, but I don't want to waste 30€ for an used sound card

>be me in 2006
>play Counterstrike Source but it lags
>just 13 years old and too poor to get graphics card
>buy cheap creative soundcard instead
>fixes all the fps issues i had

thanks based creative

also thanks for the creative zen micro with 6gb hdd, my first mp3 player, the most aesthetic way to listen to music
youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2TLnMXfg

Sorry for file size. This thing still any good? Picked it out of an old pc. Better than a motherboard onboard sound?

Attached: 20180906_234935.jpg (2048x1152, 1.29M)

>Creative lads
Was that a mistake or on purpose?

I picked up an SB0090 last year for a retro build. This shit sounds amazing on old games. Even playing old Doom I can hear sounds I've never heard before. Finding drivers is utter shite though.

Attached: Audigy-Platinum-SB0090.jpg (800x533, 118K)

I'm using one Live! 5.1
on Windows 10
Fucking love it

All Xonars are pretty good.

>tfw sound cards are dead technology
>no company pushing games to use fancy sound gimmicks like eax
>sound in modern games still worse than 20 year old games like Thief

AMD TrueAudio is an attempt at bringing it back. Also, Intel is developing DSP's for sound again in their more recent chipsets.

god i hope my sound card never dies

They're still around... buy a creative card if you want one...

>Better than a motherboard onboard sound?
Not really anymore.
ALC1220 and the decent implementations going around right now are better than most soundcards.

TrueAudio is dead.
Polaris and Vega don't even have the SIP block for it.
Tonga (285/380) is the last to have TrueAudio support.

Install linux

Attached: 1529968712284.png (1085x1217, 1.66M)

They still sell them, I was thinking of picking up an Asus card the other day. Still haven't decided to get it though.

For the same reason why they do all kinds of dumb and gay shit.

Dedicated DSP chips doesn't give a damn about high CPU load which would affect software filtering at some point, latencies are smaller and OS is also irrelevant. World is going mobile and "greener" so smaller power consumption is also what is needed. CPUs are inefficient in these kind of operations.

Don't. ASUS had a huge fucking problem with the Windows audio stack for years and did nothing until unofficial drivers started looking into it

>Using Windows
Found your problem. My Xonar card works out of the box on GNU/Linux without any driver fuckery.

>TrueAudio is dead.
Check trueaudio next

I think i read on one news site that Creative Labs are trying to get back into GPUs and have signed up to be a board partner for AMD or Nvidia?

Yep, they decided they were going to revive their 21 year old graphics card and add ray-tracing support. It should be groundbreaking.
anandtech.com/show/87

Could've sworn TrueAudio is nothing more than a dedicated sound processor that only works for the card's own outputs.

Wow, Anandtech read a lot more like a gaming magazine in 1997.

Sadly all the IPs was transferred to an american company while production was moved either up north (Malaysia) or Taiwan

Good to know, if I do go down that road I'll probably go Creative then.

Are sound cards still necessary in 2018?

If you wanna hear audio from your computer, i guess so.

Creative's own drivers work in Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise on my three X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series cards.

Attached: X-Fi.jpg (1920x1080, 669K)

KX drivers are for older Creative cards. And yes, they work in W10.

I have a problem with my X-Fi. Sometimes whenever I watch a video on Youtube or something, audio starts cracking and stops working for a few secs.

*on Windows

Not at all. Motherboards for desktop PCs already feature 3.5mm in and outputs for your headset/speakers. And if you need something for cinch/XLR/S-PDIF there are USB audiointerfaces.

i had the MuVo that pulled out like a usb drive
werks on my machine

>Even playing old Doom I can hear sounds I've never heard before
i pity the fool who didnt have an sb16

Nice I have one of these. Not entirely sure why, but the software switch between speaker and headphone is nice I guess.