/spg/ - Smartphone General

Smol Phone Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: Palm-Android-phone.png (1280x854, 368K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shopbot.ca/smartphones/communications/canada/939
kijiji.ca/b-cell-phone/canada/c760l0?price=200__350
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/bootloader
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/twrp
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/camera2
androidcentral.com/us-governments-beef-huawei-isnt-really-about-phones
theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/6/17828534/huawei-benchmarks-rigged-p20-3dmark-ai
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

wait for Mix 3 release for Mix 2s price drop and use custom rom

The galaxy s5 is the best phone in existence since 2014.

Well, I did it. Just bought everyone in my family a Pocophone. Hope I didn't get memed on.

Attached: kg9qnka6hmk11.jpg (3036x2492, 1.09M)

ok, reseller.

S6 is the best actually for being faster, lighter, smaller, and since it still has Nougat

Just got one (s6 edge) as a temp while my s8+ is repaired.
The thing works, but unfortunately it's shit in comparison to s8 baka. It gets uncomfortably warm at times and maybe it's just this particular unit's problem, but it has been charging for 5 hours now and still isn't full.
In comparison, when I was given a s7 in a similar scenario, it was alright. Ps: ive played with s5 that had Oreo lineage on it, the thing was perfect.

Semi-poorfag here, have had iphone 5s since 2013, finally time to upgrade because battery doesn't even last me past midday.

Liked the iphone for its small size and square-ish look. Found a deal for an LG Q7 for 200€, is it any good? Anyone had any experience with it?

Attached: 1075992.jpg (422x390, 35K)

Just get an iPhone SE, it's basically a 5S with updated specs

Not a fan of the apple lineup anymore and I just want to use something different for a change. My phone was the only apple device I've ever owned.

Well I'd look elsewhere than LG. XZ1 Compact is a good phone if you want something compact, usually sells for around 300€.

nah bro, get the Redmi Note 5 Global, the Q7 is gook junk compared to it

WE MUST GO DEEPER

Attached: n9.png (865x844, 707K)

Any recommended apps, games, or something to download and fill my SD card??
S9+
64GB SD

That space is mighty useful to have when recording video.

Friends all use LG's and had good experiences with em (but they have much more expensive ones). XZ1's specs look great though, a bit above my price range though

A bit too large for my taste, battery looks good tho, so will deffo bookmark that one

Nothing much to record inside my room, also just graduated so I probably won't go out anymore.

Attached: chosen phone.png (865x844, 704K)

I bought DraStic DS emulator and My Boy! GBA emulator. If you have an Xbox One or PS3 controller you can hook it up to your phone with the included OTG connector. Both are great emulators.

problem with LG midranges are they have inferior hardware, and LG doesn't release bootloader codes for ANYTHING under the G series, so if you like flashing ROMs, using Titanium Backup, or want to flash GCam ports, you're shit out of luck

they can't keep getting away with it!

The budget and mid-range LG phones are trash.

>bit above my price range
What about Nokia 6.1 or Mi A2 Lite?

I want to see my options in the 200-350 range. Used or new. All phones from all years.

Is there a good resource?

daily reminder that if you're in EU and you bought your phone in EU rooting it or unlocking the bootloader does not void your mandatory 2 year warranty

What country you in? There probably exists some price comparison site you can use for new phone prices, something similar to kimovil.com or geizhals.eu. For used phones just go to whatever site is the most popular for selling used shit and filter the search results by price.

Canada

This work for you?
shopbot.ca/smartphones/communications/canada/939

thanks didn't know

For used phones
kijiji.ca/b-cell-phone/canada/c760l0?price=200__350

Aw shit mang... Well I'll keep on lookin'

Digging the A2, how can a 200 phone be this packed? What's the catch?

Based EU for technology stuff.

I-ITS A PHONE TRANSMUTATION CIRCLE!

Attached: envy.jpg (500x281, 118K)

How to use this without being spied on by Chinese?

Attached: Xiaomi-Mi-MIX-2-vs-Galaxy-S8-1.png (1268x820, 1.78M)

>The budget and mid-range LG phones are trash.

Why?

Slap lineage on that bitch.

see >Digging the A2, how can a 200 phone be this packed? What's the catch?
the $200 one is the A2 Lite, the A2 is almost $300, the catch is it uses the older SD 625 instead of the SD 636 of the Redmi Note 5 and the SD 660 in the Mi A2

This works

Ohh.....kayyy....

I don't give a shit about flashing roms.

from start to finish, how hard is it to install Gcam on a Redmi Note 5 pro? I haven't rooted my phone, unlocked the bootloader, etc. and I've never done it before

Attached: 1524998341371.jpg (640x583, 93K)

Ah I was looking up the $300 one... What about the Huawei P20 lite? Seems like a not shit mid-tier LG to me

ok then
>the camera isn't good compared to it's rivals
>it's overpriced for what it is
>the software, LG's skin, is too heavy for the device
the only good midrange from what I've seen, even though it uses the same SoC, is the Stylo 4, but again it's inferior compared to it's competition in it's price bracket

>>it's overpriced for what it is

I thought we were talking about budget and mid ranged ones.

How promising does the librem 5 linux phone look?

Like the other user said, the specs on LG budget and mid-tier phones are terrible for the price. Take the Q7 as an example, it's got an ancient 28nm MT6750 SoC commonly found in $100-150 chinkphones. At a similar price you can find phones with SD630 or a SD636 for example that absolutely shit on the 6750.

LG G6 on the other hand is a decent deal, it's their 2017 flagship and you can often find it at around 300€.

we are, what's hard to understand? Moto's budget and midrange devices are superior to LG's

If you've never done it before - moderate difficulty. Go step by step and stick to a guide, rooting is comparatively easier these days than a few years ago. Once you're rooted Gcam is a 5 minute work.

what are some phones I can eat in case I'm lost and get hungry

The A2 Lite is still a decent phone, especially if you're looking something not huge. SD625 still does a fine job at regular phone use and the 4000mah battery is nice. Has the headphone jack and MicroSD slot too, unlike the regular A2.

The P20 Lite is meh, you get Huawei's EMUI skin instead of stock Android, worse update support, Kirin 659 is weaker than the SD625, bootloader cannot be unlocked. I'd take the A2 Lite over it any day of the week.

>Take the Q7 as an example, it's got an ancient 28nm MT6750 SoC commonly found in $100-150 chinkphones.
??? are you talking about th Q7alpha? the regilat Q7 has the SD450 in it

root or unlock bootloader first? any good sites for guides? thx for replying btw

eh, the only point you're incorrect on is comparing the 625 to the 659
the 625 has a stronger GPU, but the 659 scires better in geekbench single and multicore and in Antutu V7 CPU scores, but I'd rather have a Snapdragon device because Huawei turned into a piece of shit company for no good given reason

you have to unlock the bootloader before you can root, check out xea, or google Redmi Note 5 unlock bootloader xda

>the regilat W7 has the SD450
I guess that depends on the region? In Europe all versions have Mediatek.

oh that's really unfortunate

The benchmarks here show the 625 ahead the Kirin 659 in both multicore and GPU performance, and pretty much even in single core (659 is a little over 900, 625 a little under)
www.gsmarena.com/xiomi_mi_a2_lite-review-1804.php

reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/bootloader
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/twrp
reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/wiki/camera2

Huh. A2 really looks like a good budget phone, wonder why none of the stores I've been to had it.
How's privacy with these Chinese phones doe? Heard that Huawei and Australia had some beef over privacy concearns. Is Xiaomi any better?

P20 Lite beat it in single core, but lost in multi-core
also the P20 Lite also scored higher in Antutu V7, not sure of the different methods between geekbench and Antutu for CPU tests, but it's interesting how the tests themsekves compare the chips
also not saying he should get a Huawei/Honor device considering how shitty they became

>3.3 inch screen
try 2.4 inches

Attached: unihertz jelly.jpg (1600x1200, 406K)

>beef over privacy concerns
It's just politics, basically:
androidcentral.com/us-governments-beef-huawei-isnt-really-about-phones

Australia is aligned with the US so they're just toeing the line.

>2.4"
>still as big as a 4"
Why can't they just make cute small bezeless things?

Nokia 6.1 or Honor 8 for same price?

Attached: 1535408041745.gif (300x273, 2.48M)

Wait. Does the A2 not have a Type-C connector?

Regular A2 is USB-C, A2 Lite is MicroUSB

Nokia

I'd go with Nokia 6.1. Honor 8 is EOL now, won't be getting any more updates after Oreo. Nokia 6.1 will get Android Pie this year and Android Q next year.

WHEN CAN I CUSTOM ROM AN XZ2 COMPACT RRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

Aah. Alright, thanks so much for the help man!

What if spyware is in the firmware like chinknovo did?

This is a new level of Courage

then private security firms, like the ones who busted BLU in the Adups scandal, would have already found it by now, also custom ROMs are the firmware

>don't know what half the words on the instructions mean

god damn it I will always be a techlet

Attached: 1529969089631.png (248x249, 43K)

theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/6/17828534/huawei-benchmarks-rigged-p20-3dmark-ai

Why is this allowed?

The mi a2 (non-lite) is also a good phone and can be had for around $30 more than the redmi note 5 global. That $30 gets you the same SoC with higher clocks (especially on the GPU side), a better rear camera, and USB-C with Quickcharge 3.0. Though you lose card slot, the fm tuner, and have a 30% smaller battery with mi a2.

Huawei is in full panic mode right now, pulling that doesn't really surprise me.

>That $30 gets you the same SoC with higher clocks (especially on the GPU side)
wrong, the SD 636 is not the same as the SD 660, GPU or not
>a better rear camera
true
>and USB-C with Quickcharge 3.0.
also true, but you're forgetting that there's no headphone jack or mSD support
however, there is an IR blaster

>When UL ran an internal version of 3DMark, which Huawei’s phones couldn’t recognize the name of, the phones performed worse in the test. That indicated that the phones weren’t actually smart enough to identify high performance demands on their own, which meant the benchmark score wasn’t an accurate reflection of how the phone would handle a typical app without special attention from Huawei.
Top kek

Attached: holy shit.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

>LG

Don't buy this shit, they have a very poor built quality.

Attached: huawei-phones-delisted-chart.png (853x558, 9K)

Based and kabalapilled.

anyone know what phone is that in that pic? want to research more, looks cute

the new Palm phone made by TCL(Alcatel)

What rom should I install on my Redmi 4x?

I know about Lineage and Resurrection Remix, I don't know if either of those are good choices.

There's also Xiaomi.eu which is MIUI unfucked in case you want to stick with it.

>Why can't they just make cute small bezeless things?
Cause they're fucking hard to type on nigger.

I want to go as freetard as possible without runing normal functionality. So MIUI eu isn't really what I want.

I haven't had any problems with lineage, don't have your device though. If there's Copperhead support you could do that plus FDroid as the app store.

Has anyone looked into NOA phones?

who?

random slav phone brand

With all of these random Chinese phone brands why not make our own brand and design famalam

Which app to get the best camera performance out of Redmi Note 5 ?

you got hundreds of millions in capital laying about? how about deals with a chinese assembly plant? Qualcomm? Mediatek? marketing firms? no? well there goes that idea

GCam, best I've heard of is by Arnova
Issue being that you'll probably need to flash a 64-bit ROM of your choice to get the most up-to-date one with all the features and pray it plays nice with your ROM selection, or do your homework and figure out which one works with it

I can get an S9+ 64 for 320€.
Buy or no buy? Coming from LG G3 with a broken digitizer

Mind testing if said apps even moves to the SD card at all? An user said the "Move to SD" function is better these days, but I haven't a device with an SD to test that isn't on KitKat.

give it back, tyrone

Attached: NYYK3-iko_noan10.png (280x280, 55K)

Any idea if that's a real launcher??