/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: citrus_(manga) fujisaki_ribbon headphones mizusawa_matsuri seifuku sweater.jpg (2508x3541, 3.93M)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00RPD7KP8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1536265589&sr=8-5&keywords=sennheiser 598
amazon.com/gp/product/B000ULAP4U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/EEEKit-Invisible-Single-Ear-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B01K1ZTPD6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536268497&sr=8-4-fkmr1&keywords=discreet bluetooth earpiece skin color
youtu.be/ZH3hNqMcoJ4
massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-m220-pro-headphones
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/custom-one-pro/
head-fi.org/threads/denon-av-reveiver-headphone-jack.768693/
youtube.com/watch?v=T_KLPuk332Y
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

will i am
the son of schiit shill
has been cursed
buy schiit

All dacs sound the same! The same!!

Attached: IMG_3639.jpg (4032x3024, 1.77M)

I was being facetious you nonce

What can we do to stop the audio goblin?

Attached: images1.jpg (242x209, 13K)

HD600 HAS NO SUB BASS
ZERO
ZILCH
NADA
NULL
NONE
NOTHING

AND STILL SHILLED BY /hpg/

any ideas?
so far we have
>bose quietcomfort

Attached: 689780890ß0ß.jpg (326x269, 36K)

>budget
100-200
>location
USA
>Source
Plugged to a PC and Phone , no dac/amp
>Type of headphones
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy
>Sound signature
Whatever you think works for first person shooters and and music where a strong bass is required
>Past headphones
Apple earbuds

Thanks in advance

Should I get this DAC (amazon.com/gp/product/B00RPD7KP8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for these headphones:

amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1536265589&sr=8-5&keywords=sennheiser 598

and

amazon.com/gp/product/B000ULAP4U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attached: fiio.png (1200x768, 191K)

i love my momentum 2s rn. gettin goosebumps lol
can't hear my keyboard typing as i listen. so pretty good isolation. talked to my mom and could barely make out that she was making noise.

DT770 is very bassy. I have some lying around here I think.

Do you guys ever buy returns or find it gross

Any recommendations on mini bluetooth earbud? Looking for something not too noticeable but under $50.

jbl reflect mini

M for Marv

Attached: 5462C66C-D3FA-45DC-B4A6-86BDCF8029AF.jpg (600x401, 40K)

all my expensive shit is used. i give 0 fucks desu.
i do check images to make sure its not like japanese smegma all over them.

>jbl reflect mini
Forgot to mention looking for a mono earbud. Thanks for the response, though.

i had something like this. works well :3
amazon.com/EEEKit-Invisible-Single-Ear-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B01K1ZTPD6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536268497&sr=8-4-fkmr1&keywords=discreet bluetooth earpiece skin color
it won't sound good. at all. but it works.

>budget
200-300
>location
Murica
>Source
Connected to a PC through a logitech sound system
>Type of headphones
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy enough for long drawing sessions
>Sound signature
I like bass but not too much
>Past headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50 The old models not the x

I'm looking for an upgrade from my current cans as I've had them for years. I hope to recapture that feeling I got when I first upgraded from shitty earbuds lol. I hope it's possible.

Thanks for the help.

I listing music from the motherboard via hd579, do I need to buy a sound card or DAC? If so, what are the budget segment?

Z is selling some of his old used stuff:
youtu.be/ZH3hNqMcoJ4

Now is your chance!

Attached: 19E3355D-0A42-4A13-8A71-EEEAC8F554C1.jpg (1157x284, 84K)

i add on this
is ANC on ON-Ear headphones a meme?

FECAL MATTER

Attached: basedzeos.jpg (1758x989, 898K)

Then what do you suggest?

Nothing wrong with used

"Yard sale" is a funny way of spelling "auction".

I've bought most of my gear 2nd hand, never had any issues. I feel sorry for the mysophobics.
Just be sure to buy from people who appear to know what they're dearling with (i.e. listings have proper pictures and item descriptions) and you'll be fine. Stuff like "don't know what it is" and "haven't been able to test" (often translates to "probably doesn't work lol") should raise red flags, but it never hurts to send a message and ask if it's a genuinely intriguing listing, it might just be someone selling inherited stuff or the like and just not being an expert.

Perhaps the only audio gear I'd be wary of buying used is portable head/earphones with non-detachable cables. People usually take good care of the stuff that's used at home, but cables on portable gear inevitably get subjected to wear. At the very least I'd make sure the cable on a portable headphone was easily changed if I were to buy used portables.

Just go with the custom studios, it's the same headphone.

do you hate earpods? i find them really comfy
too bad i keep losing them and they cost $35

good goy

They're the only earbuds (not IEMs) that seem to have any real sound engineering. As far as if I like them, not really. There are better options that cost a little more

VE Monk Plus are only $5 + shipping and sound decent.

Attached: VE Monk Plus.jpg (746x588, 570K)

okay now spend $3000 on a real one, i promise it will sound better!

DT &&)

And for open?

Is actively powered amp the only way to lower output impedance? My output device has way too high impedance for my headphones.
I don't need volume boost, actually I'd rather have it reduced by 10-15dB so it stays within reasonable range when I adjust playback volume.

DT **)

go away hans

>budget
Sub $50
>location
Banana Republic of Uruguay (buying off amazon is not a problem tho)
>Source
Phone
>Type of headphones
Either in-ear or on-ear. I'm a bit tired of in-ear headphones sliding out tho.
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy enough for carrying around when outside.
>Sound signature
Anything as long as it has some bass in it and not treble only.
>Past headphones
Some non-removable cable AKGs, DT 990 pro on desktop. some LG wireless ones and some cheap phillips in ear.

Basically I want something to use with my phone when going out and at uni.

Kinda unsure about going wireless since last time I tried it would skip sometimes while my phone was in my pocket. (probably xiaomi note 3's fault)
Also battery life.

tin t2

>Budget
>Location
Hong Kong
>Source
Phone, Fiio x1
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Besg
>Sound signature
Balanced
>Past headphones
Se215, RE400, AKG K7xx

Mainly looking for one that has a mic for phone calls, but if cable cab be swap, I'm all for it

Attached: c6ef7ba99f06d86103baddb05f7b15a7.jpg (642x960, 95K)

tfz queen

bump

Hey guys, I need a decent neutral headphones, hopefully around 80usd. The main use is watching anime and some varied music while I study. It's only for temporal use so the cheaper the better.

Is the Audio Technica Ath M20x fine?

I would use it on a 17' laptop only, I hope it doesn't need an amp.

New Sonys
Just got mine. ANC is great

>Kinda unsure about going wireless
You could always try something like this. It can turn any regular headphones into bluetooth headphones. I can personally vouch for them. Full charge gives me 4.5 hours of continuous music playback (at full volume) from my phone. No skips or glitches and the working range is at least 5+ meters. Costs about 15-20$.

Attached: 20170714185218_10220(1).jpg (1000x591, 26K)

Do you need closed? These are semi-open. I recommend massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-akg-m220-pro-headphones for $50. Or you can get AK K240S, which are the same thing, for $65 on Amazon. You don't need an amp.

I like it thank you, since It's for prolonged use and the pads looks comfortable, price is right.

I don't really need closed, besides the isolation are there more differences?

best of both worlds.

really wish it had volume buttons though.

Attached: DSZDjvY (1).jpg (2450x1838, 507K)

They are pretty comfortable, very lightweight. Semi-open and Open back headphones usually have a larger soundstage and less claustrophobic sound. I always use semi-open or open when possible.

Open designs often sound better than similarly priced closed backs. Open back dynamics often have less sub bass extension than closed backs, if that's important to you. Also everyone around you will hear what you're listening to, so it's not good for public use

>stax amp for mudheisers playing 160kbit/s ogg files
I don't get why people overpay for one placebo this hard just to neglect another one

I'm more repulsed by his taste in music. Bet this nigga listens to strobe and thinks it's amazing

That being said I listen to drum and bass so what do I know?

Beyerdynamic DT 250 is much flatter than the M50, but for someone who likes more bass i'm not sure if you will like it.
Mayber Custom One Pro (or Custom Studios) with the following mod:
diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-a-i/custom-one-pro/

It will be more comfortable, that's for sure.

is this some diy incest stax/sennheiser shit?

reverse image brings you to leddit where the user claims it's diy. But my guess is just he60 made to look diy.

I see, btw I have noticed Superlux's headphones looks very similar to akg's or borderline copy, but I've seen a lot audiophiles shilling superlux more, even though they are cheaper. Are they good?

cunts a virgin 10000000%

What's the point? Risking breaking his shit to impress Reddit retards?

from the little time I've spent on reddit it wouldn't surprise me.

The beyerdynamic A20 amp has an output impedance of 100 ohms. Is there a good reason for this?

I thought that makes everything shitty, and if I want high impedance I can waste my money on tubes or a receiver instead, right?

They're okay, but I'd get the AKG over Superlux any day.

wtf 349 dollars for an amp

Idk, but I can tell you my cheap Denon AVR headphone output (which I'm guessing is very high output impedance) sounds a lot better than my 6ohm output impedance uDAC2. And that's with AKG K702 and SHP9500S.

Here's a thread some guy is experimenting with AVRs etc. head-fi.org/threads/denon-av-reveiver-headphone-jack.768693/

I want her to step on my penis.

Nice, could you tell me the model number for what denon you're using?
I've got the beyerdynamic 1990 which is often in the showroom with the 100 oh amp so maybe it might be reasonable to find a decent receiver. I've also got the k702, so this is perfect.

A possible reason would be to make the headphones sound a bit warmer - you get a midbass hump in most headphones.
I ain't no electrician, but basically you can look at the impedance measurements in headphones, e.g. pic related, and the more output impedance an amp (or any output) has, the more the sound is equalized to that curve. So a 100 ohm output will give you like 1 dB or so extra bump at 100 Hz.
Generally you want very low output impedance because you're basically coloring the sound of the headphones, but you could also probably make some bullshit argument about how the headphones were meant to be listened to with a high output impedance or something. It's up to you.

Attached: chrome_2018-09-07_04-35-39.png (683x375, 48K)

Thoughts on the ath-msr7?

>think about ordering hd280s with a dac as beginner to sound
>running errands and buy hesh3 with cheap dac cause I was in the store
did I fuck up?
I don't know wtf "good sound" is. I imagine it goes beyond shit is bassy so it must be good.

Interesting, could you tell me what the phase line represents?

>I imagine it goes beyond shit is bassy so it must be good.
And yet you bought a "it's bassy as fuck so it's good" headphone. So good job on impulsively buying shit you don't know anything about without any research. Enjoy your headphones, I honestly hope you'll at least like them.

I wish I could, but you'll be better off reading about those things from people who know what they're talking about rather than me.

Attached: hesh 3 >rtings.png (846x493, 79K)

Alternating current has phase

Denon AVR-S530BT. I bought it because I was more interested in speakers at the time. It's also not too large (for an AVR) so I keep it to the side of my desk.

> I honestly hope you'll at least like them.
Yeah I figured it was a fuck up. I do enjoy them, I guess the level of peasantry I am at right now I wouldn't really be able to appreciate quality. I am going to keep lurking and hopefully my 2nd buy will be less embarrassing.
Thanks user.

If you enjoy them, that's great. That's basically the only thing that matters, no matter how many people will meme on you or call your headphones trash (including me). It's worth finding a store (or a >friend) where you can try the headphones a tier or two above. Get some $300 headphones, listen to them for 15 minutes, see if the difference is worth the money for you. There is no point chasing the perfect, detailed, neutral headphones if you're more happy with a bassy sound.
Remember that the guy jogging on the street with his earbuds is just as happy to listen to his music as the faggot here with his $500 headphones.

Attached: .40.jpg (710x565, 75K)

DT770s

Attached: Imaginary.jpg (353x420, 26K)

What Listen You, Headphone user?

Attached: huh133.jpg (451x604, 72K)

Attached: 1972 FM.jpg (2048x1536, 362K)

Harmon Kardon research did show that most headphones were actually sub bass light so the old derision of plebeian bass preference doesn't really stand

dt770s would probably work for you >.>

I agree on sub bass, I like headphones that go deep, compared to a loudspeaker system the balanced headphones always underperform in the bass department, but the issue there is more that 100 Hz is apparently somewhere between 5-10 dB louder than the mid range. That muddles everything so hard it makes one wonder if it isn't a rebranded senn.

Shit I just found out that Tyll retired. And with Beats and Bose as his primary listening devices.
Oh the irony...

Attached: 180511_Blog_ImOut_Photo_Main.jpg (600x461, 34K)

no he took aeons too

>Beyerdynamic DT 250
Thanks for the suggestion

still demoing the m2s.

Attached: Screenshot_20180907-013714.png (1080x1920, 1.13M)

youtube.com/watch?v=T_KLPuk332Y

Why aren't you wearing the official headphones of the NBA right now?

Attached: 1500409956220.jpg (450x600, 45K)

glorious stephen curry

Attached: firefox_2018-09-07_01-58-54.png (936x724, 245K)

You guys are gonna meme me into buying a pair of these.

I love the M50's I got

Attached: 69f.jpg (354x286, 14K)

But thankfully we have Rafe now!

Attached: 49F17CF1-3D05-4016-A388-6ECEB093539E.jpg (800x620, 288K)

NOBODY
FUCKING
CARES

Imagine getting headphones that Z himself has used!

desu the sound is decent enough, the battery life is pretty good compared to other blueooth buds, the chip is good, decent size firmware on it, and theyre durable and made for sport.
really nothin to complain about lol.

You can get better chink bluetooths for half the price.

Add some Brainwavz XL pads to it for extra confort, trust me.

Question for you audio dudes.

Attached: Capture2.jpg (2558x1396, 618K)

>JBL Reflect Mini
>Durable
Hell no. Look for something more substantially built
If there's anything I'm convinced those JBLs are not, it's durability. A friend of mine has those and I've fixed them several times for him. Middle button on the remote gets loose and falls off - I make a new one. Housing halves of the earpieces don't hold together properly (basically just a friction fit) - accidental knock and the housing pops open and snaps the wiring off the drivers. Fixable? Sure, but hardly the easiest design to work with, the drivers being quite recessed in the housing front half. Add the customary hard-to-solder IEM wiring in the mix and you have quite the bitch of a repair job.

Yes, you fucked up. Return them.