/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
Cheap electronics?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Last thread:

Attached: 3 crop.jpg (1044x1044, 194K)

Other urls found in this thread:

browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4056782
amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1DYK72/
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-W3550-vs-AMD-A8-7600-APU-2014-DKa/m3628vsm14050
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My balls kind of hurt. How do I stop masturbating?

Get new balls.

Attached: 1523259875374.jpg (550x750, 56K)

Anyone know how I can fix this please? I've tried but it won't let me update anything.

Attached: Drop.png (1100x424, 30K)

Use internet explorer

How do you get magisk lineageos and gaaps to install on a pixel xl? Bootloader is already unlocked but its such a clusterfuck on xda forum posts that no combo i have tried works.

dude lmao

Remove, re-add

do i need a root and user password or is root just fine?

You can make a user account from root on Linux.

are there any C++ tutorials or books that teach the language in ways other than "intuitive"

as far as learning things goes I don't LEARN "intuitively," IE, given two slightly related topics I won't always be able to come up with a solution requiring their applied combination. I need the concepts stated explicitly, with drills showing a small sample of possible problems.
>inb4 how'd you even get through school
flash card assisted memorization, it's also the way I intend to learn C++. I don't want to design my own course but I will if I have to

get obsessed with doing something else? a hobby maybe?
but if you just want the pain to go away it's not your balls, lad. it's your dick plumbing and muscles in the region. drink more water, a lot more water and stretch your groin region. and take some ibuprofen or acetaminophen and a daily supplement

Just got an S9 and I'm fairly certain they deliberately made file transfer even less reliable than before (I had the Note 4). Since Windows was giving me issues, I considered using it as an MTP on Mint. Does anyone know where I could find Linux MTP drivers?

How do you clear the cache in Qutebrowser?

Did you try using PTP instead? I've been having the same problem since I reinstalled LineageOS on my S5.

Cheapest FreeSync monitor is $300
Cheapest G-Sync monitor is $500
Both are 1080p 144Hz. Is G-Sync worth the extra $200? I have a GTX 1060 so I won't hit 144fps in many games.

Attached: 1536100454290.jpg (337x290, 56K)

my laptop keeps on killing it self every time i login into lubuntu. now, i switched to ubuntu budgie for a couple of days and it was fine until this morning it happens again. i dont know whats happening here, is it bad ram or bad hdd, or something is burnt inside?

I find that most of my keystrokes are done with my index and middle finger and my thumb for the spacebar. How do I get good at using all my fingers to type?

whats a good program to record footage from an emulator?

How do I over clock my shitty $7 mouse?

Which of these processors has the best single-core performance? Currently I have the FX-4130. It works alright, but there are better AM3+ CPUs available. I pretty much only play older games, right now I'm playing GW2, but it is not optimized very well. So, people say that having a processor with strong single core performance can help the game. I'm thinking about getting the FX-8370, but I haven't really looked into it too much. What do you guys think?

Attached: CPUs.png (857x1195, 96K)

I pirated Metro Last Light and everything has been going fine until I reach a certain chapter in the game, then about a few minutes into the chapter the game closes unexpectedly. What do?

i have an interview tomorrow for a consultant job. what are some questions you guys never expected to hear in interviews that threw you off? i havent interviewed for a job in +3 years

Is the 1050ti still the best budget gpu?

you have to splice a 9volt battery into the cord, and with the extra juice it'll automagically overclock

Since your 1060 probably won't hit 144fps most of the time it's probably not a good idea to buy a G-Sync monitor. I'd buy an AMD card just for the FreeSync alone but AMD is sort of lacking in the GPU department so I'm tethered to Nvidia until Navi based cards launch.

No, an RX 570 4GB outperforms it in most cases.

anybody know if theres a way to test if ram is bad without swapping out new sticks,like some software?

An 8320 would get you by just fine, however technically it's a 4 core processor instead of an 8 core processor but I don't think that matters since you play older games. Another option is possibly getting an AM4 mobo and pairing it with a 1300X or 1400, which actually outperform the high-end FX processors just about all the time.

memtest

>Since your 1060 probably won't hit 144fps most of the time it's probably not a good idea to buy a G-Sync monitor
I thought the whole appeal of G-Sync is that it keeps your gameplay smooth even when you don't hit exceed the monitor refresh rate and your framerate dips and spikes

Thanks for the response. The 570 looks good, but im eyeing a 1050ti for $140. Cant find a 570 cheaper than $210

Is that a Ryzen processor? I'm not going to use anything that will force me to play on W10. I already have one W10 machine in this house and there are some things better about it than this computer, but I hate W10 so much I will just stick with W7 and AM3+. I know there are ways to get W7 running on a Ryzen machine, but I tried all I could do to get it working on that other computer and it didn't work. So it just sits there doing nothing.

thanks,sadly thats not whats causing random freezeups but appreciate the help

Speaking of that other computer, it has a GTX 1050 in it with 2GB of GDDR5. My current card is a R7 260X with 2GB GDDR5. Which is better? The 1050 has 650 shaders but the memory and clock are both faster. R7 has 896 shaders and pixel fillrate is 17.6 GPixel/s with texture fillrate at 61.6GTexel/s compared to the GTX which has 45.8 Gpixel/s and 57.2GTexel/s.
Is it safe to assume the GTX 1050 is better? Will it play nice with my AMD system?

ffmpeg

Help

I'm running Ubuntu Mate 18.04 and I wanna use Tizonia, this app where you can play music streaming services through the terminal. As far as I know the only way to put in your email and password that you need to use your accounts is by editing the conf file. (If someone knows another way that would be great). When I try to edit it though it says it cant be edited because the file system is mounted... its in /snap/tizonia/206/etc/xdg/tizonia/tizonia.conf

is there any way to fix this? I'm using my SSD which is the only drive I have so it's not like I can unmount it.

Well yeah that's what it does but do you think it's worth your $500?

On second thought 4GB RX 580s are going for about the same price, at least in the US.

Why not use Linux? Maybe you did something wrong? Also the 1050 would be better. More new driver updates plus Nvidia tends to perform better most of the time. It'll work just fine with your AMD system.

I only use Linux if I absolutely have to. I keep a live USB of Ubuntu around for when I need it, but other than that, I don't really use it. I guess I could try it out some games with WINE or something similar, but it sounds like a lot of hassle. The only games played right now are Warframe, GW2, and Sims4. I know GW2 works with WINE, but if I don't get a performance boost or even if I lose performance, it doesn't make it worth it to me.

How to disable chrome software reporter tool?

>Well yeah that's what it does but do you think it's worth your $500?
Well, I don't know, that's the thing. I've always used 60Hz monitors and I was always able to achieve 60fps+. Now moving to 144Hz I know I won't achieve 144fps in most games so I don't know if it's worth the investment.

Can someone please explain to me why these are the "gaming" chairs, and why people say that you can sit in them for hours? I mean, they just look like they'd get uncomfortable after 1 or 2 hours.

Attached: 1526771049270.jpg (1000x1500, 129K)

Why are you even mentioning freesync?

how to downdgrade iphone

I use a chair similar to this, it tilts, (like the whole chair tilts, not just the back). Why don't people see these as more comfortable for gaming?

Attached: 1524126165958.jpg (1000x1000, 170K)

Buy a huawei

What do you mean? I won't benefit from FreeSync since I have a NoVidia card, which is the issue.

I would benefit from G-Sync's adaptive sync but it costs $200 more. What I was wondering is if it's worth the premium since I won't hit my screens refresh rate in most games (144fps).

>What do you mean? I won't benefit from FreeSync since I have a NoVidia card, which is the issue.
Yeah, so why bring it up? The fact that there's a $200 difference (wrong btw) is irrelevant.

i have learned some stuff in python because of my degree(and still learning) but I want to learn C, where I should start? pls no bully

>Yeah, so why bring it up?
Because I'm wondering if I should buy a FreeSync for $300 and get no adaptive sync, or buy a G-Sync for $500 and get adaptive sync.

>The fact that there's a $200 difference (wrong btw)
The cheapest G-Sync 1080p 144Hz here in Canada is the XB241H at $500 and the cheapest FreeSync 1080p 144Hz is $300. I don't see how that's wrong.

Didn't know you were referring to canada pricing.

But again, why are you even talking about freesync? It's not part of this conversation or your purchasing decision.

I don't care about FreeSync since I can't benefit from it, but most of the cheaper 1080p 144Hz have it. Aside from like BenQ which has no FreeSync or G-Sync. FreeSync is irrelevant to me, but the monitors are FreeSync nonetheless.

My main concern is if games will look choppy if I'm getting say 100-120 fps on a 144Hz monitor with no G-Sync. I know G-Sync is supposed to smooth them out but is it worth the premium? I've always played on 60Hz monitors and have always been able to get 60+fps so it's never been an issue for me. This is all new.

I had an interview for consultant job (programming) and they talked about what type of company they are and then asked me to talk about myself, what I like doing, where I went to school and why I choose what I did in school.
It was the same for the previous job I applied for, there are no surprises really, they talk about themselves as a company than you have to do about yourself.

is it dangerous for me to continue using this?
how do i clean it? i tried using iso alcohol and cotton swabs but the fibers of the cotton swab would catch onto the little nooks.

Attached: 20180906_023211.jpg (2895x3279, 3.11M)

This seems imminently googleable. Although $200 could go a long way towards your next GPU upgrade. And you might consider team red next time around. I think how much it bothers you is really going to depend on you. Also for less demanding games like esports I would imagine you would hit 144.

How do you make managing coax cable not shit? It's stiff as fuck and shoots straight out of the wall. Can I use 10 right angle adapters without degrading my internet speed, or is there a flexible enough version? I've only gotta run maybe 25 feet, around 9 corners. I can probably cut that down to 2 or 3 with flexible cable.

How would I go about figuring out what's going on when my internet dies randomly? It usually reconnects within 2 minutes without having to do anything
The timing seems random and I have tried two different routers

Finished my PC build, just one issue so far. Monitor does not get any signal if I use the display port cable. But works fine when I use the the HDMI cable. Both cables came with my monitor if that helps.

But better quality cotton swabs.

Please tell me that isnt water because it looks dead as fuck.
And judging by the PCB and heatsink i assume this is an atom desktop?

bump

Coffee, which I know is a hundred times worse. Plus there's a burnt bit on the VGA.
It's an AMD APU soldered on
browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4056782

It still turns on and runs, but I don't know how close it is from blowing up and setting the room on fire.

spill your onions latte on your pc did ya now

Any recommendations for aftermarket battery for the Galaxy S5 that isn't going to be horrible chink shit worse than my 4 year old battery I'm hoping ot replace? Or is it all pretty much the same?

Does amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1DYK72/ look ok? Reviews seem decent but not sure how much of that is paid or w/e

>Coffee
Would you believe its less dangerous than water for electronics than water?
Anyway, buy Qtip brand cotton swabs.

Also buying a new PC way more powerful would be $100 tops if something ever went wrong with it.

What's a good tool to use play shit remotely like anime & movies from my PC to a TV? I'm not really that used to setting up media centers and don't want to run a long HDMI cable to my TV.

I have a chromecast it it's pretty spotty playing with local media, so I'd like something more reliable.

oh word? I thought the sugar and junk would be worse

Water is just more way corrosive and conductive in general.
Even coke damages electronics slower.

Stuck on this noob python question and unfortunately don't have laptop

I'm trying to execute functions from client server which worked at first.
when I moved both scripts into classes, I'm getting
"Unbound method must be called with instance as first argument (got str)"

So... how do I target the specific server instance? I'm definitely connected by ip and can communicate

Also... I can make it a static method which fixes the problem, but then I can't access the init variables which I need

Thanks for any help

Congratulations. Old thread just 404'd.

I have a Moto X pure (2015)
And a sandisk micro sd card 128 gig

For about 3 years, everything has been good, but every now and then, the sd card "unmounts" itself and is unavailable to be selected to mount. I have already formatted the card, but I'm wondering what is the bigger suspect. My phone or the card? Aside from that issue, I have never had problems with the micro sd card. Is this common for android phones?

I have 8 gigs of gddr4 2400hz memory but windows will only let me us 6 gigs at the most. I've checked my bios and everything seemed normal. Like i'll give an example even though it's vidya it always makes it stop at 6gigs even with everything closed i'll have 0mb free and a shit ton of standby ram up to 3gigs sometimes. Is there anything i can do. (here's a real time example with chrome)

Attached: tskmgr.jpg (1360x705, 229K)

Are ye using one of those odd onboard graphic chipsets that uses regular memory as video ram?

...and?

Just saying you're kind of a wad about social etiquette and not clogging up the catalog with extra threads.

Not that I know of, I'm still fairly new to building my own pc after coming from laptops

Attached: mobo.jpg (473x411, 32K)

1050GTX, so I guess that's not it. I'm not even sure if they still make onboard graphics like that, was a trend for awhile.

I've never managed to push my memory that hard under normal usage, so I'm not sure if Windows likes to keep a % in reserve or some shit.

If yer eating tons of memory with tabs in Chrome or Firefox, however, I would suggest The Great Suspender:
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg

Not the guy who started the thread - but I dun think two /sqt/ threads is going to cause a panic, 'specially on a board that moves this fast. (Also, better than none.)

is there a way to have ublock purge all caches and update lists upon starting chrome? It seems like things are slipping through on a daily basis now.

can you guys show me some laptops that's good enough for ps2 emulation

thats alright, thanks for the info user, I appreciate it and I'll give that extension a look while i'm at it

Think Windows will start dumping everything it can to the pagefile if it gets to ~80% - though you can tweak that with registry settings.

Bought these today. Did I do good?

Attached: 81gG-TdK3PL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1443, 163K)

Anything with a I5-2520m or better.

I mean I'm not gonna lose sleep over it, it's just annoying when you get people posting in both threads, they don't know where to post cause they're newbs, you have to watch both and a question is less likely to get answered because readership is divided.

I've never understood why people insist on posting here AFTER it's too late for us to fix their mistakes.

Please fix all my mistakes user

I maintain a tagged thread or two on other boards, and sometimes I'll start a new one when it gets near the bump limit, if I know I'm not going to be around or otherwise be busy when it does, just so some other asshat won't make a mess of it.

Dunno if that was OP's motivation, but it's better than cluttering up the board with multiple related threads on the subject with no tag (albeit, in the case of /sqt/, newbs gonna do that anyways.)

At the same time, if ya see three or four of them (as sometimes happens on the turbo boards), then you can start complaining.

i just use ftp or syncthing, if i need to do a large transfer quickly, there's also adb over usb

I used the Windows image customization tool to disable useless Win10 shit on a clean MS Win10 Pro N image. However, I couldn't find the option to disable telemetry, or enable the Linux Subsystem, despite them being listed as features of the tool.

What did I do wrong? Did I fuck myself? I already installed it...

do you have a firearms license?

Yeah, sometimes sqt does get up to 3, then you have concurrent threads lasting for days, and people are weirdly defensive about who da real OP is, considering it's just a general. I just prefer to err on the safe side, especially if it means less flame wars.

What other threads do you frequent? I'm a pretty regular contributor here and I wouldn't mind some suggestions where I could learn shit or have some good discussions.

I found a thinkstation s20, it has a xeon w3550. I tried to look up some basic comparisons online. It seems to be about equivalent to the AMD A8-7600 I have in a 2ndary PC, using 2011 benchmarks. Do you think it's worth bothering with it as a back up PC incase something goes south? I have to fix it up and run benches to see what sort of affect the string of intel patches of late have had on it, but given the age I can't imagine it's pleasant, so I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

Attached: s20.jpg (618x475, 52K)

>Top 10 phrases I want whispered in my ear by a trap in lingerie

Link tool.

Why are companies turning their backs on college? Am I in debt for no reason at all?

I just had one of those - sold it to a guy on CL (is that you, Mike?)

They're great machines - they'll take ECC RAM if that's your thing. BUT, their PSUs are proprietary, and the mobos have some weird ten pin connector instead of the standard 8(4+4). Not a big deal unless you want to upgrade the GPU significantly. The stock PSU was like 620W.

Also, if I understood correctly (sold it for other reasons) an adapter for the mobo to a standard ATX PSU won't work - it'd require a pinout you could only reasonably get by hooking up two separate PSUs to it and splicing the wires or something

>It seems to be about equivalent to the AMD A8-7600
Not even close.
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-W3550-vs-AMD-A8-7600-APU-2014-DKa/m3628vsm14050

You can use a normal PSU with a $2 adapter (24 pin to 10 pin adapter).

Not on these - the motherboards still need like 20 of those 24 pins for another connector. It's the weirdest layout. One normal ATX PSU doesn't have enough pins no matter how many adapters you use (unless you maybe leave a bunch of the ground lines out, idk)

Check it out - 24+10 :/

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1200, 353K)

Nah, fished it out of the trash.

I noticed the 10pin, but it has an extension to a 4pin, so I wasn't bothered one way or the other. The main power looked like a 24pin so I didn't check it explicitly, so it being proprietary is disappointing to hear. I thought I had a free back up PSU. Oh, PSU says 625w.

Huh, I was doing a comparison using openbenchmark, but that's good to see.

Yup.

Why these threads always feature art by rustle? Is there a meme I should know about?