/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ibm-thinkpad-t42.jpg (1200x969, 242K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.vimuser.org/littleleah.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for A285 never

what happened to the other thread? nuked due to the OP image?

Is the x230 really a bad machine? I just want something i can use to work on stuff when away from my desktop, nothing too powerful. I understand the resolution is poor, but I don't think it will matter on such a small screen.

Is it worth double the price to get a IPS screen over a TN?

yes
no its not, its actually good and comfy

is this the death of /TPG/?

nah, some minor fuckery happened...we're fine.

Attached: trackpoint.png (1000x800, 370K)

most likely

where can i find what wifi cards are whitelisted per model? looking at options for w541

>tfw i cant reach the orgasm if im not touching a trackpoint
fuck

>E485
I ordered one direct from the Lenovo US website earlier this week, but I'm a burger. According to them it'll ship on the 10th and arrive on the 17th which is better than the estimate they originally gave (arriving in October lel).

One thing to keep in mind is configuring memory in pairs (4 + 4 instead of one 8GB stick for example) as apparently single channel significantly dings performance. If the stock model is just under your budget then I guess you can't really afford any upgrades and are stuck with the single 4GB SoDIMM, but you should try to install a second stick when you can afford it. Also save up for an NVMe m.2 drive.

oh, im the user that reported

btw thinking of getting a thinkpad T440p has anyone tried it? is it nice?

Is this real bro? warcraft95 if it is you should delete that shit and go outside more i promise youll have better luck.

>wish has fake 100 USD bills as props for free just pay shipping

I can fake rich, too.

I bought a T530 off of Ebay, and it didn't say the screen resolution so I knew I was taking a gamble. Of course though its the 768p version lol. I was looking at screen replacements for a 1080p screenand apparently the B156HW01 is the way to go. However I'm wondering then what's the difference between the v4 and the v7? I think I saw that people said the v4 is matte and v7 is glossy, is that right? Also does anyone have any recommendations for websites or sellers to get screens from?

Where is the king of thinkpads?
The one with 20 thinkpads?

I summon thee

>tfw my thinkpad P51 is more powerfull than 20 old thinkpads

you got him and he ran away with his post

xsauc?

Attached: saucy's collection.jpg (4032x3024, 3.55M)

kek all images of the dude holding the thinkpad gets removed

so far i enjoy the x230 keyboard over the x220, EXCEPT when it comes to the top keys.

blog.vimuser.org/littleleah.html

wtf i love libreboot now

we got good mods

>57 thinkpads
>make a linux cluster
>???
>profit

Attached: ....jpg (447x444, 95K)

can someone tell me how the x220 tablet or any other thinkpad tablet is in terms of build quality and linux compatibility. I'm thinking of getting one for college to take notes with

Attached: 806a96b4.jpg (450x520, 40K)

Why must you spread your sin on every thread? Please come to Jesus, forgiveness is still in reach

nice but the x230 is way better and the fan dosnt sound like a jet engine

I think that's my real problem with chiclet keys, anything that isn't home row and within reach basically is a gamble while typing

i've been using a x200 tablet for the past 2 years on a daily basis
i got some chinks in the plastic, but that's about it
never had a problem with the rotating screen

they're both shit just get a stylus for your phone

I had a 440 and the trackpad is garbage. Go with *30 for older body styles+lots of ports and *50 for better performance. *40 was a weird year.

I like my X61 Tablet.

*cries in x220*
You're right, though.

the escape and delete key were perfect where they were. the only upside to this is the back lit keyboard. i mean, its not big of a deal, but still...

idk, im going for a t440p and change the trackpad for the t450 one

As long as you go for the different trackpad (or if it doesn't bother you)
Haswell's good and I had no complaints about the t440 other than the trackpad. Go for it!

>and *50 for better performance
but everything up to the *70s is weak dual core ULV shit

I got banned

Attached: images.jpg (194x259, 8K)

It's a laptop

Why do you need more to write email and watch Netflix?

If they were good mods they would realize I can't be stopped

I have a t440s

Also, I'll just shitpost more every time they try banning me.

>netshit
lmao what's next cuckify

i would get the x230t but im a big fan of the x220 keyboard. i know with some effort the keyboard of an xx30 can be replaced with one from an xx20. would this work with the tablet models?

Is there any way to boot off of the mSATA drive on an x230 when I have a normal SATA drive installed alongside it? In the x230 service manual it says that it is no longer possible to boot off of the mSATA if a normal drive is installed, but I was wondering if there is any way around that so I could keep my current drive dedicated soley to Debian and have a smaller drive for when I need to use Windows.

reported for evading ban

My gf uses one for this exact purpose
Works best with win7 or linux.
OneNote as shitty as it sounds is pretty good for note taking but is sadly windows 10 exclusive.

PrettyGood/10

The t440s is still just as powerful as the t430 and MUCH more power efficient.

Install grub on the boot disk and it should list both OSs on the boot menu.

with shittier build quality
>cant swap cpu
>shit components
>shit touchpad
>shit keyboard
why even get a thinkpad at this point, might as well get an asus

>hacking windows with msmg
damn im hacking all the pixels now
[00s techno starts playing]

>just as powerful as the t430
Actually even the stock T430 dual cores are more powerful than the T440 ULVs, then if you replace the stock dual core with a quad core it BTFOs every ulv up to the 7th gen pads.
also even though the touchpad is fixable

IPS panel is worth it; the TN panel is absolutely garbage. In fact aside from the 1080p on 15.6 models, it's the only thinkpad with a screen that isn't complete trash.

How much is my 240X worth? Can boot to BIOS, but never got an OS to load. I have tons of goodies, IDE-CF adapter, USB2 PCMCIA card, Ethernet to USB2 adapter, probably some other stuff.

Think I can get $200 for it?

Reminder to dock your memepads

Attached: 2018-09-06-1536283856.png (1280x1024, 1.81M)

>1366x768

Is the P series overpriced for what it offers? I need to buy a new laptop and I need a big screen since I'm a blindfag.

I hadn't tried the x220 keyboard until recently because I got a great deal on an IPS x230

the resolution is more than fine and the IPS really is a big boost. Be warned that if you leave something on screen to long it will ghost for upto 30 seconds but is never permanent

You should consider instead the Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

>overpriced
that's hard to judge
if you can get it with no problems, it should last you a long ass time

P series is overkill if all you want is a big screen

>the resolution is more than fine
lolno

does anyone remember the dude who came asking for a thinkpad with a 28 inch screen and then insulted us because we said thats crazy? im the only one? ;-;

I humbly decline that title, I have sold off my prestige W700ds, 755CX & 701C(s).

I have only shitposted on here but I have lost my shitposting power and desire to continue with thinkpadding thanks to using the PixelBook. Not even using my FHD IPS T430s due to the PB's superior 3:2 display.

I'd recommend the T450 models over the T440 models if the price difference was $50 more if you include the trackpad upgrade.
Unless you want a T440p and upgrade the processor, then thats another story.

100% this
Desktop for main performance
Laptop for mobile work.

The fuck more do you need for coding?

Doesn't dell offer an XPS at 15" and IPS?

when the P50/70 first came out, people had criticized Lenovo for charging more for a workstation than HP and Dell had at the time.
If you need an ISV certified laptop, get one, but if what you will be doing won't require much use of that stuff, then you can chimp out with a T5xx or P51s if you want to stay with Lenovo.

tfw 1800 x 1200 is perfect but 2400 x 1600 is too much on a 12.3" display

Attached: DSC_0131 (3).jpg (2992x2000, 669K)

yes bro

I love my t440s with fedora and cinnamon

Hulu/Netflix
Spyder3
Youtube
Email
SSH
Jow Forums

Cheap slim light portable 1920x1080 option

i5 4300u is VERY energy efficient and doesn't go above 50 degrees under load.

I just replaced both batteries in it for $25 each genuine lenovo brand new.

>inb4 trackpad
its a $14 swap

>tfw 1800 x 1200 is perfect but 2400 x 1600 is too much on a 12.3" display
No such thing as too much. i agree though that 1800x1200 would be great.

How much is my 240X worth? Do you want it?

imagine buying a laptop for youtube and netflix when actual 4k tvs exist

How heavy is the T440s?

I agree to some extent.

It would increase scaling issues with text in both linux/gnu and windows

The only real benefit would be media playback or image manipulation, right?

Yesterday I upgraded my T520 from i5-2520M to i7-2630QM. Feels good man.

>he carries his 4k tv in his backpack
kek sad

Light as fuck and solid with my 3 cell + 3 cell

When I toss the 6 cell on it feels weighty.

I have a few extra batteries now too, but my brand new 3 cells get me through the day.

source on batteries? My internal is sitting at about 50% capacity. Finding a legitimate lcd for this thing is a bitch, too.

instantly what I thought....

I have a TV

but I also have my t440s

what a faggot OMEGALUL

>The only real benefit would be media playback or image manipulation, right?
For me personally, if the resolution is high enough, I can read seriously tiny details, like fonts. So I would effectively be able to fit more in the same area

Ive never experienced resolution higher than 2560x1440 27". But I access non-mobile web pages all the time on my 5" 1080p phone and can read some seriously tiny writing

CAD would benefit. I read a lot of service manuals, I think it would benefit that

No I don't want another TP for awhile, thanks tho.

I sold a 560X for $230 and 770ED for $180.
You can get that much for your 240X if you can figure out how to load an OS to it.
It'll give the buyer reassurance.
However if you want to sell it without an HDD/OS, besure to check your MTM number and list the GPU & sound card it has on it...

I did pay $160 for a 230, but locally I found a 240X for $60 with two batteries... No one wanted to buy it for years in San Diego CL.

I was impressed how well the T440p did against my T430s. Wish lenovo brought IPS much sooner, T440 get a bad rep for their color and trackpad, I think i paid $30 for my swap when I flipped them in 2016.

It depends on what you are doing with it.
My eyes are getting old on me and strain a bit.
Some of the higher res laptop screens have a grain or pixelation effect, which is an eyesore. Though I do dislike the glare this laptop gets with the glossy display.

>buys a 4K display and wonders why his friends 1080p plasma still looks better

Attached: DSC_0485 (2).jpg (4496x3000, 3.69M)

>You can get that much for your 240X if you can figure out how to load an OS to it.
Any advice on how to install Linux or maybe a BSD onto it? Forgot to mention, I have the external floppy drive with the proprietary connector and all

My plan was to obtain a bunch of floppies and find a distro that is happy to be installed from floppies, but haven't gotten around to it

Attached: 1407806238559.jpg (252x221, 11K)

JUST LET ME BUY THE A485 ALREADY, LENOVO

Attached: angry_pepe.jpg (900x900, 65K)

Never ever, along with the A485

I got 6 x220i tablet for free and have been absolutely loving it. First thinkpads I've owned.
Combined two 4gig sticks into one and running xfce is so smooth.

The screen flips as to act like a tablet and with an IPS display reading books on it is a dream. The experience is better in my opinion than a cheap kindle as the screen is much larger and the device is already light.
Battery life is excellent.

>>>gayyyaaamddd

Not in MY laptop

Sorry mate I haven't gone that path... desu never installed any OS with a floppy. I think I read how it needs a certain program for windows (didn't bother reading the guide on linux) for it to burn properly.

Floppies are cheap as fuck, but its the luck of the draw if they work sometimes.
If you were going to resell it, sadly I insist on installing Windows 95/98 via PCMCIA CD Drive.
For what its worth, if you have the original laptop box, it adds $30 to $200 of value depending on collectors.
Like a 600X sold for $450 a few years back, bc it had that and some goodies like you have.

RIP lenovo, being stuck to the Intel botnet.

>X220i
If you like that, then you'll probably be happy with the i5 or i7 models.
I love how wacom functions work ootb on X Tablets.

Attached: DSC_0251 (2).jpg (2992x2000, 761K)

I just want a ThinkPad with modern specs, no Intel ME bullshit, and a better iGPU. ;__;

>no Intel ME bullshit
AMD PSP bullshit is totally ok for you?

>happy with the i5 or i7 models
Probably. But at this point i don't want to spend money on laptops. I haven't run any barriers with the i3 so i have no desire for more performance. However when my quality of usage drops drom the i3 i will consider an i5 model

I have a roll of plastic brushed silver contact paper kicking around

debating whether or not to cover the back of my thinkpad with it

>tablet
>notes

meme tier

literally get the regular version

AMD has just as many security flaws not pointed out by media

To me, this poses a greater threat because no attention is being brought to them.

On the other hand, any tiny little hole is being patched on intel chips.

>mfw gayyymd plebs think they are safe

Attached: 1505209461144.gif (235x270, 1.87M)

I have the x220 and it's very quiet.

>that destroyed asshole

fucking EL EM AY OH

>>>>Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.

I got banned for ripping that retard a new one after he talked shit on tripcode. It was my first ban ever and I felt kind of proud. Thinking back on it it sounds kind of sóy but oh well. Drunk then, drunk now. The wheel never stops turning.

Attached: 1440226428330.jpg (600x828, 69K)

stop lying

x230 user is lying as well

t440s for true silence

50 degrees under full load

fan off while web browsing or casual video watching

feels good man

hurr you dissed me? So what.

Get over it.

I sure am.

Stop letting old drama rustle your jimmies.

Today is a new day.

Smell the thinkpads

stop being a neet and buy a new lid

My LG G4 is 1440p at like 5.7 inches, the resolution is like reading printed letters.

I'm using 1440p @ 14 inches and it's fine at 125% windows scaling, I also use 4k @ 27 inches on my desktop and I need 150% to feel comfortable, in general I got used to high dpi displays and it's hard to go back.