Am I the only one whose fucking terrified of flash a new bios...

Am I the only one whose fucking terrified of flash a new bios? I'm always scared I'll lose power or the USB drive will fail

Attached: download_20180825_211542.jpg (640x579, 171K)

no because double bios

no because backup battery

Double Bios + UPS

Backup EFI.

>not flashing your own hex edited bios with updated microcode and boot roms
>good luck waiting for the jews to release a bios with spectre fixes for your motherboard/laptop
pleb

Attached: mpvshot0001.png (710x569, 717K)

for what purpose
if it's not broke don't fix it

if your scared of loosing 100$ you shouldn't really own a computer. buy a NUC or some thing and a big warranty

CVEs
Spectre
Intel ME http exploit : memcmp(pass, input, strlen(input))
New cpu support

Why not have second ups in case first one fails?

One ups blaring at you when the fuse is blown is enough torture

No because I back up with the stuff I got to flash coreboot on my x220.

>flashing BIOS from USB drives
lul

Are those the flamethrowers that caused a shitstorm lately? I thought they would have at least 30 meters of range (like those shitty outdated flamethrowers of yore), with serious school shooting capability. This is pretty underwhelming.

I am too. Had a motherboard that locked up during firmware upgrade. sat there for 45% with no indication of activity before I decided to cut the power and restore the firmware with the Crashfree BIOS feature of the board. The feature to restore the firmware didn't work ofc, since the board would just bootloop or freeze every time I tried to use it. First time something like that have ever happened to me, but it is still very annoying to deal with support lines about firmware issues.

tfw got a new fancy mobo for my 2700x and flashed the bios from wifi

Security and performance updates. Additional hardware support. Meme features if you must.

>spectre
>fixable
You can fix most other vulnerabilities via microcode updates

Retard

those are Musk's "not-a-flamethrower"s
they were 500$ back in january

I lost a laptop to it once, I guess everyone is a little gun shy after one fucks up and takes your system with it.

Depends but nowadays it's much safer to do these things.

Though I did recently "brick" a motherboard and got my Moto G5 fucked by updates and bootloader unlocking... to the point that now I have to wait for official stock Oreo to lock the bootloader again.

>not having the tools to erase and reprogram the bios manually

>Inlel
you deserve this

I have an UPS and know how to program bare SPI flash chips so I don't really care

Doesn't it copy the bios file to memory and verify it before ever trying to flash?

i dont give a fuck. ill just throw my shit out the window and let it fly 10 stories down.

Yes, but if the power goes out when it started erasing and writing the actual chip, you're screwed (unless the motherboard has a backup BIOS chip, of course)

Meh, just reflash it with an arduino. Or be like me and spend way too much on a mobo that has usb flashback.

they make it sound scary just to cover their ass in the off chance you manage to brick it, but it's literally the easiest thing ever

If it happens, it happens, only think you can do is do your best to make sure it doesn't happen due to user error.

yeah, hte boring comapny ones

u can modify them for longer range
voids waranty tho :^)

>not flashing your mobo over the internet with every single update while you torrent 50gb of hentai
the ultimate pleb

kinda related, anyone with an asrock z97 pro4?

the 2.20 BIOS is fine, but anything newer including the one with the Intel memes update has a weird boot, is longer and for example the monitor is completely black, you barely even see the post logo/sequence

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 5K)

God himself